Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Ed Baker of recent front page fame has recently produced a video on his favorite subject: Ed Baker. If, after reading the interview with slowtwitch and watching Ed's seminal airing of the Ed Baker show, you haven't had enough Ed Baker, you can hear Ed talk about himself more here. Wow, is this dude irritating or what? That's all I can say at this time as I am on probation, but do discuss amongst yourselves.

In the words of Taylor Swift: And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
Afg53 wrote:
Why was this video made? He’s obviously super talented, but who was this video made for?

I wonder exactly the same thing. To me, he actually seems like a nice enough guy, albiet with zero EQ - he must not realise all his casual brags make him look pretty silly - even if they are all great accomplishments.

My theories as to why he made this video (in no particular order):

1. he wants to be a pro, and/or wants to get sponsors. This is odd to me, as he likely doesn't need sponsor money. But I guess it might make him feel "legit".

2. he wants to be like the pros, so he makes videos like they do - also a bit goofy since pros do it to put food on the table, or to "repay" fans for their interest. Neither seems necessary in his case - but to each his own.

3. this is a branding exercise to make him appear really successful and super loved by his family. Perhaps his time at UBER has tainted his corporate brand a bit, and he is subtly trying to improve his marketability.

4. he has spent so much time with slightly socially awkard tech guys, that making a vanity video full of front doors brags is totally normal among his peers.

In any event, he seems happy enough, and the video isn't doing anyone any harm, so whatever.

Having watched the rest of the video to your point number 3, this video is not directed at us. Its to his techie professional network, marketing his tech world sabbatical for when he actively returns to the professional world (vs being an investor/mentor to tech companies). Most of those guys have no clue about this IM stuff, but everyone loves a winner. If he is winning tris on his sabbatical, it's like other guys going and climbing K2, or joining an America's Cup crew or racing Paris Dakar. Fair enough if you view it from the techie wealth world angle.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Are you OK with being a Troll? Who else actually seeks information about someone that they don't like for no reason other than throw stones?

Does bringing someone else down somehow bring you up?

It's clear from other previous posts you don't like the guy - why then do you search out more stuff to troll about? I don't get it. I actually respect the guy, and yet have no desire to find more to read about him or watch videos, etc. I'd rather be doing other things. Perhaps he does things that annoy you (duh). Your being a troll annoys me; perhaps, makes me like Ed even more.

Has he made significant gains in performance in a short time? Yes, he's on the steep part of the learning curve - that's what happens when someone works hard at something. Almost anybody who's listened to someone new to the sport be so excited to do a 3 hour Oly, then 3 weeks later doing a 2:45, then a month later doing a 2:38. In their mind they'll be sub 2 mid next season at the latest - until reality sets in. His curve happens to be at a place that very few will get to no matter how long/hard they try. Am I jealous of that? Sure. He picked his parents right to get an engine that is a few standard deviations above "normal." I'd rather see someone use that then waste it. Criticizing his life style won't make his gift somehow less.

Beat him on the field of play, then we'll talk about how great you are. Can't do that? Join the club.

You and a few others must like living in glass houses. Must be cool. Perhaps add a mirror to the décor, see if you like what you see. In the mean time think about putting that energy into more training, or something positive. I'll bet you'll be happier - which is nice

This ^^^^. The OP always seem so bitter.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend who ran with him at Harvard actually told me before Lake Placid that Ed would definitely be a guy to watch in that race. So I don't think his progression and success is a surprise to those who know his abilities...
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

So Ed wins at tris where he would lose from being too big to be an open marathoner....same reason Gwen J is too big to be a truly elite marathoner. The math works against her at marathons.

How the hell do you people say Gwen is too big to be an elite runner, she 5-10 and 120lbs...if anything she's too light for her frame. We really gotta stop spouting bullshit when it comes to weight. Gwen in general is tiny.

Shalane ie 5-5 and 105lbs...you're telling me that Gwen at 5 inches taller and 15-18 lbs more is too big...gtfo here.

Gwen really is big comparatively. I don't know if you have watched a lot of elite female marathoners, but they are really tiny, like under a 100 pounds and 5 foot two tiny (obviously some exceptions). Every time I see Gwen in a pack of marathoners, I just can't get past how tall she is. I would bet her hip and shoulder width are the widest in the field. She is skinny for sure, but overall weight is a big deal.

When I see top marathoners in person they just look like birds - they look like they have hollow bones made of cartilage. Even a top tall marathoner is just really light - and not just because they are skinny, but their bones and organs must be comparatively smaller than most people (including mid-distance runners).

I wouldn't say Gwen is too big to become a decent American marathoner, but her size is likely very limiting to podium in a major.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
trailerhouse wrote:
You keep saying 165lbs. Nowhere does he say he used to weigh 165lbs when he went 2:21 in college or whatever. He could have been 120 lbs for all we know and went on a Twinkie diet for the past 18 years.
Anyway, when you see unbelievable progressions like this in 99.9% of the times that's exactly what they are - unbelievable. I'm just thinking Matt Dixon must be looking at this guy and he's scratching his head... I bet he doesn't see many of his athletes go from sitting on their ass all day to a 400W FTP in 18 months. But the publicity that this guy brings him is probably worth looking the other way.

Jesse Thomas has a similar story: startup guy, ex collegiate runner, 175lbs / 6'1", pushes big watts with a shitty position but even he went through a 4 year journey before the got anywhere near pro triathlete level. He also started doing tri at 27 not 40.

devashish_paul wrote:
I think we are all jealous because this guy appears to have it all. Life is not fair. Guys have brought up some of the uber inneundo, so maybe the rest of us have a leg up in some other aspects of life, so let's let him beat us at sport and money making and which rich powerful people he is friends with. I am curious to see what a person with the physiology to run a 2:21 marathon at 165 lbs can do 1.5 decades later in triathlon. I don't think we've ever seen an engine like that with that much body mass show up at the start line outside of Mark Allen. All the pro triathletes who could run that fast were much smaller.

Now can someone give me 23 lbs and extra 1.5 watts per kilo so that I can go fast like Ed....my parents suck for giving these math and ST rapidfire posting genetics and sucky sport genetics.

not that this makes any difference, but no, he wasn't a 120lb runner. he was a 160lb runner. i was a 160lb runner. chris solinksy is a 160lb runner. they're out there. he was one. this is what makes for a very powerful cyclist. move on to the next gripe.
I wish I'd caught this thread earlier. I know Ed and was with him on some of his very first bike rides. He barely knew how to clip in, was essentially untrained (at least of late), had not yet even considered the idea of racing, and he went top 10 on a local hill climb his first time up it, in an area filled with pro cyclists. I'm a pretty decent cat 2 roadie, and he was minutes ahead of me. He's legit. He's just super talented. He was a trials-level runner, and running is quite obviously not even his best sport. Also, whatever he comes off as in the videos, he's actually a really nice guy. I think most of these guys are just jealous! (as am I!)

That said, having ridden with him a bunch, unless he has improved substantially recently, I think 400 is probably a bit of an overestimate? But you have to understand that he probably barely knows what FTP is. That's what you're dealing with at this point. He's a novice cyclist and swimmer who just happens to have a HUGE motor.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it seems he found a great coach to match his “wonderful” personality, they seem to have a lot in common.

I’ll expect him to be sporting an Every Man Jack kit in no time for all those “like minded” people.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds a bit like the Michael Woods story. He just got 3rd at UCI cycling worlds (rides for Vaughters' Cannondale/Education First protour team). Was a sub 4 track miler and was injured, so some of the local FOP tri guys brow beat him into coming out on the bike when injured, and she shows up in running shorts and running shoes with a borrowed beater bike with rat trap pedals and proceeds to totally smoke everyone and the local benchmark times on one of the hill climbs. Those guys just have massive watts per kilo for climbing pretty well out of the gate, then its a matter of converting them to being able to ride in the drops/aero.

It seems like Ed could very well set one of the fastest age group times ever in Kona if he can keep his act together. He seems like a younger faster version of when Slowman took up tris with similar body type....can't remember Slowman's mile PB, but I think it was around Ed's low 4:20 range.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Mugen_EP wrote:
He comes off creepy, in a Johnny Depp esque Willy Wonka kinda way....

Creepy? The irony....

https://www.recode.net/...igns-travis-kalanick

https://www.susanjfowler.com/...strange-year-at-uber

Sadly, I knew about him because of that much before I became aware he was a triathlete :\

I was saddened by Bob Babbitt giving him a platform to speak as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
thatzone wrote:
No disrespect, but who the f**k is this guy?

Everyone is bent out of joint that a former college runner, who did a 2;21 marathon while working in his post college career and kept up some semblance of fitness afterwards recently quit work and took up tris full time and vaulted to the mid 8 hour range, which is seeminly remarkable compared to the rest of us training or asses off for years and getting no where near those abilities. But very few of us were 2:21 marathon guys either, so while it's not impossible that the guy is doped (in that case he'd be like many 40 somethings in TRIATHLON), its also possible that he's a genetic mutant compared to most of us and if he took up tris in his 20's he'd be like Lionel Sanders (from what I gather he was a faster college runner than Sanders was)

FIFY
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Repeatedly seen elite runners do very well, very quickly on the bike- usually its the utter lack of pack skills and ability to handle the surges and super high intensity of group rides and races that get them at first. For TTs, Tris and Hill Climbs that doesn't apply- and they can just used that massive engine and ability to pace themselves to great affect.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched the video few days ago and I actually thought it was pretty inspiring . I think most of us are just jealous of his life. The guy is super smart, wealthy, beautiful family and has the time to train his ass off. I personally think we all wish we had his life. I wish Ed the best of luck in Kona along with all of the rest of the amazing athletes .
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [trainhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trainhard wrote:
I watched the video few days ago and I actually thought it was pretty inspiring . I think most of us are just jealous of his life. The guy is super smart, wealthy, beautiful family and has the time to train his ass off. I personally think we all wish we had his life. I wish Ed the best of luck in Kona along with all of the rest of the amazing athletes .

X1000. How many people can just call up Mark Zuckerberg and say, "Hey dude, what's this Zwift thing you're posting on Strava?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we get back to Ed's FTP? I'm kind of hoping that he wins overall amateur at Kona cause all hell will break out at this place. Then there will be much bigger problems around here than my posts.

I'm hoping Ed wins overall amateur and Lionel wins overall. That will provide more than enough entertainment to make up for the lack of posts about Ashley Horner.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I agree. I do admire people who have accomplished a lot and often then regret not putting 100% into everything I've ever done (not that doing it would have changed a lot, I simply don't have his genetics). None of us know what goes on when the camera is off but you could say that about everyone. To me, he comes across as someone who has maximized his intellect and physical abilities and I also hope he performs well in Kona.

Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [chrisrpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed the video and found it quite motivational. No idea why it was produced but I thought it was a good watch.
Good luck to the guy. He seems to be very focused and obviously is a high achiever.

My foray into time trialling at the age of 60
https://sixtyplustimetrialling.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
This sounds a bit like the Michael Woods story. He just got 3rd at UCI cycling worlds (rides for Vaughters' Cannondale/Education First protour team). Was a sub 4 track miler and was injured, so some of the local FOP tri guys brow beat him into coming out on the bike when injured, and she shows up in running shorts and running shoes with a borrowed beater bike with rat trap pedals and proceeds to totally smoke everyone and the local benchmark times on one of the hill climbs. Those guys just have massive watts per kilo for climbing pretty well out of the gate, then its a matter of converting them to being able to ride in the drops/aero.

It seems like Ed could very well set one of the fastest age group times ever in Kona if he can keep his act together. He seems like a younger faster version of when Slowman took up tris with similar body type....can't remember Slowman's mile PB, but I think it was around Ed's low 4:20 range.

hey. i have very few palmares but i'm jealous of those i have. it was in the TEENS.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Johnnybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw on Strava that Zwift is spotlighting Ed Baker - https://www.strava.com/...104733/posts/3224477

And Zwift now includes the video on their "Zwift at Kona" page - https://zwift.com/.../8174-zwift-at-kona/

So perhaps Zwift produced it? Or maybe Zwift is just capitalizing on a video that's getting some buzz...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another n=1

Fast runners can get on a bike and smoke it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisrpdx wrote:
I just saw on Strava that Zwift is spotlighting Ed Baker - https://www.strava.com/...104733/posts/3224477

And Zwift now includes the video on their "Zwift at Kona" page - https://zwift.com/.../8174-zwift-at-kona/

So perhaps Zwift produced it? Or maybe Zwift is just capitalizing on a video that's getting some buzz...

He's an investor in Zwift
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cxrider wrote:
chrisrpdx wrote:

He's an investor in Zwift

Ah you're right, I had forgotten about that
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

hey. i have very few palmares but i'm jealous of those i have. it was in the TEENS.

What was your mile PB and did you run it in high school at altitude in Tahoe, or down at sea level.....most importantly is it faster than Ed's mile PB????? If it is, at least some around here one upped Ed on something. You're our last hope unless Danstu or Sam Gyde can put down the hammer at Kona and make Ed hurt in the energy lab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to put together a video just like his, but as a regular person who has a regular job and who has regular abilities. See if Zwift picks up on it and posts it on their page.

I mean, who wouldn't want to see a messy house, an out-of-shape person riding on a trainer, talking about how crappy his day at work was.
Last edited by: Pro_Sandbagger: Oct 10, 18 17:35
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Alwaysrunning99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two things - do you know any of the EMJ team ? I do and everyone I have met is humble and whilst they have a social media presence , they are nothing like this guy - what happened you applied and they turned you down ?

I have tried watching this twice but cannot get past 2 mins , I don’t understand why he did it other than to say look at me , aren’t I the f**kin amazing

Maybe it’s because I am a Brit but this level of self promotion is nauseating
Quote Reply

Prev Next