Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
Checklist for video pre-production:

1. Show killer house
2. Mention elite schools
3. Show family duty dropping off genius kid and mention your own fluency in 2nd language
4. Mention killer jobs and big buyouts
5. Show killer pain cave
6. Get the the abs from a few different angles
7. Show FTP # on Zwift
8. Mention 6:45 as IM pace
9. Mention elite schools again
9. Have kids and nephwes and in-laws and sibling and coach mention how killer you are
10. Can't actaully show weiner size, so just imply a buckwild lovemaking style with 4 little kids romping around

Ed, just a suggestion and feel free to ignore---> have some humility, make a self-aware joke about your obsession, lighten up, and realize to most normal people this video is just plain old weird.

49 posts later and someone finally nails it
Last edited by: kileyay: Oct 9, 18 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
You keep saying 165lbs. Nowhere does he say he used to weigh 165lbs when he went 2:21 in college or whatever. He could have been 120 lbs for all we know and went on a Twinkie diet for the past 18 years.
Anyway, when you see unbelievable progressions like this in 99.9% of the times that's exactly what they are - unbelievable. I'm just thinking Matt Dixon must be looking at this guy and he's scratching his head... I bet he doesn't see many of his athletes go from sitting on their ass all day to a 400W FTP in 18 months. But the publicity that this guy brings him is probably worth looking the other way.

Jesse Thomas has a similar story: startup guy, ex collegiate runner, 175lbs / 6'1", pushes big watts with a shitty position but even he went through a 4 year journey before the got anywhere near pro triathlete level. He also started doing tri at 27 not 40.

devashish_paul wrote:
I think we are all jealous because this guy appears to have it all. Life is not fair. Guys have brought up some of the uber inneundo, so maybe the rest of us have a leg up in some other aspects of life, so let's let him beat us at sport and money making and which rich powerful people he is friends with. I am curious to see what a person with the physiology to run a 2:21 marathon at 165 lbs can do 1.5 decades later in triathlon. I don't think we've ever seen an engine like that with that much body mass show up at the start line outside of Mark Allen. All the pro triathletes who could run that fast were much smaller.

Now can someone give me 23 lbs and extra 1.5 watts per kilo so that I can go fast like Ed....my parents suck for giving these math and ST rapidfire posting genetics and sucky sport genetics.

not that this makes any difference, but no, he wasn't a 120lb runner. he was a 160lb runner. i was a 160lb runner. chris solinksy is a 160lb runner. they're out there. he was one. this is what makes for a very powerful cyclist. move on to the next gripe.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

i understand your suspicion. but i have more sympathy for it as regards total training volume and cycling ability. he was already a very good runner, and what i find much more compelling is that he was a big runner. his is, physically, the prototype of a top triathlete: 6'1", 165lb, as a 2:21 marathoner. not he grew to be 165lb. he was that size as a 1:05 and 2:21 runner.

I always find this interesting. 6-1 165 is small. No idea how that can ever be considered Big.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't find him irritating

He is obviously smart, articulate, a good athlete and professionally successful

That said I don't gey the video, and it could be taken as conceited but I did not find that

I think that degree of progress warrants some caution

Though if I were 39, effectively semi-retired, had fairly unlimited means, and had run a 2.21 marathon at some point in the past, I'm pretty certain that with resources, commitment and some ability to grasp complex technical skills I'd be able to make some progress
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
Checklist for video pre-production:

1. Show killer house
2. Mention elite schools
3. Show family duty dropping off genius kid and mention your own fluency in 2nd language
4. Mention killer jobs and big buyouts
5. Show killer pain cave
6. Get the the abs from a few different angles
7. Show FTP # on Zwift
8. Mention 6:45 as IM pace
9. Mention elite schools again
9. Have kids and nephwes and in-laws and sibling and coach mention how killer you are
10. Can't actaully show weiner size, so just imply a buckwild lovemaking style with 4 little kids romping around

I wish him all the best, I just wonder if he is so smart why could he not see that he would not exactly come across as sympathetic? F.N. was not specifically talking about the ST forum when he said "In every human beast there is a fund of hatred, anger, envy, rancour, and malice, accumulated like venom in a serpent's tooth, and waiting only for an opportunity of venting itself, and then, to storm and rage like a demon unchained.", but he might as well have been.

Ed, just a suggestion and feel free to ignore---> have some humility, make a self-aware joke about your obsession, lighten up, and realize to most normal people this video is just plain old weird.

I LOLLed!
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its considered big because it’s functionally big.

Size defined by function and performance. Simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
Why was this video made? He’s obviously super talented, but who was this video made for?

I wonder exactly the same thing. To me, he actually seems like a nice enough guy, albiet with zero EQ - he must not realise all his casual brags make him look pretty silly - even if they are all great accomplishments.

My theories as to why he made this video (in no particular order):

1. he wants to be a pro, and/or wants to get sponsors. This is odd to me, as he likely doesn't need sponsor money. But I guess it might make him feel "legit".

2. he wants to be like the pros, so he makes videos like they do - also a bit goofy since pros do it to put food on the table, or to "repay" fans for their interest. Neither seems necessary in his case - but to each his own.

3. this is a branding exercise to make him appear really successful and super loved by his family. Perhaps his time at UBER has tainted his corporate brand a bit, and he is subtly trying to improve his marketability.

4. he has spent so much time with slightly socially awkard tech guys, that making a vanity video full of front doors brags is totally normal among his peers.

In any event, he seems happy enough, and the video isn't doing anyone any harm, so whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt Dixon has seen it before ... Sami Inkinen (SP?) ... 400w FTP, elite physiology (like Ed) didn't train as much as Ed but if he did he would have had the same results as fast.

I've had a couple athletes with very good physiology (collegiate runners) but nothing like those two ... learning curve was much slower. The biggest issue was they had to ride very conservatively to maximize their running. As they become more and more durable we were able to ride harder / faster and not slow down on the run. If Ed's FTP is really 400 ... he is riding very soft (so he can run "well") other wise bike splits would be closer to <4:45 @ LP and 4:15'ish at Copenhagen.

In general, interesting specimen

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Oct 9, 18 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's race week in Kona. Lot's of interesting stories being told in various formats. My viewing of YouTube videos has gone up in the last couple of days. Ed Baker is not the only narcissist telling a story. Life is too short to worry about other people. If you are worried about seeing a narcissist then don't watch YouTube videos in general and definitely don't watch videos about athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I always find this interesting. 6-1 165 is small. No idea how that can ever be considered Big.

who the EFF is Ed Baker.. I'm 5'9ish and I am 175, longer legs would be great
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [KENNBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had this guy's means, I sure as shit wouldn't be riding an indoor trainer for 5 hours in New England.

Dude needs to get a life.

Last edited by: Bat City UGA: Oct 9, 18 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan,

People simply can't fathom what they haven't experienced. I'm in the same boat as Ed (decent but unexceptional college runner, 6'2" 160 in peak track shape) but was more 1500-5k optimized. I never trained for anything longer but could still pop off 15 mile runs at 5:40 pace. FTP with a couple rides per month was 350-70 (depending on season). The fitness from running at that level just really translates well to smashing the pedals. I'm nowhere near the shape/speed I use to be but still have a baseline of around 310-320 W with no training. The discipline required to truly flog yourself at that level, and the ability to push yourself beyond mental limitations is something most people never develop.

Add to that fact the discipline and drive it takes to build a company and work in business development for tech giants and you'll get someone who is extremely results based and unhappy with anything less than world-class. It's that same drive that got him to Harvard and Stanford business.

Though the self-promotion did take a step too far, in my opinion, with the personal statements from nephews/children.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Blocking him is one of my smarter moves on ST. Now if you'd refrain from quoting his posts in your replies, we'd all be better off.

You made my day. I've been allowing myself to get annoyed with his posts for years - had no idea there was a hide feature. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
If Ed's FTP is really 400 ... he is riding very soft

His results are very good, but not really close to indicative of a 400W threshold. As a result, I find it more plausible that he has exaggerated his threshold power rather than the other possibilities posted here that he is either a doper or complete genetic freak.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Dave Latourette wrote:

His results are very good, but not really close to indicative of a 400W threshold. As a result, I find it more plausible that he has exaggerated his threshold power rather than the other possibilities posted here that he is either a doper or complete genetic freak.

Yes 400w FTP and ~75 kilos puts him right around Lionel proportions and he looks more aero. He isn't riding any where near that on the race course.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i understand your suspicion. but i have more sympathy for it as regards total training volume and cycling ability. he was already a very good runner, and what i find much more compelling is that he was a big runner. his is, physically, the prototype of a top triathlete: 6'1", 165lb, as a 2:21 marathoner. not he grew to be 165lb. he was that size as a 1:05 and 2:21 runner.

I can't believe I'm about to agree with you but I do. I think it's a hold over from the cycling Community where everyone is ubber thin
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Dave Latourette wrote:

I would think hours of indoor training, along with high quality coaching, and a tech savvy athlete has his FTP correct. 5.33 watts per kilogram is definitely within the spectrum of an elite level athlete, which he could possess given his running history (although dated). Anyone that is on a trainer for 2 hours, let alone 5 hours is crazy committed to their goals. A long workout day of 7 hours every single week, is intense. How many on ST have ridden on a trainer for 5 hours straight? I doubt very many.

On a different note, I don't find anything wrong with the video link that is posted. It highlights he's super committed to his training, has plenty of financial resources to prepare the way he feels is best, and apparently has support of his family. Now if you google his name, and 'resigns from uber' it comes up with why he resigned from Uber, which is not as rosy as this video portrays his current family life, but many have made that same mistake, while being in a marriage.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Oct 9, 18 16:23
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvolb wrote:
T-wrecks wrote:
Blocking him is one of my smarter moves on ST. Now if you'd refrain from quoting his posts in your replies, we'd all be better off.

You made my day. I've been allowing myself to get annoyed with his posts for years - had no idea there was a hide feature. Thank you!

I find it incredibly entertaining that you can't just read someone's post and shrug it off. You need to block them and hide from what they have to say like it's some kind of safe space for you.LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
pvolb wrote:
T-wrecks wrote:

I find it incredibly entertaining that you can't just read someone's post and shrug it off. You need to block them and hide from what they have to say like it's some kind of safe space for you.LOL

More like they belong in their own forum: tl;dr. Safe space my ass. I don't have time to read through his verbose monologues.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I can't believe I'm about to agree with you but I do. I think it's a hold over from the cycling Community where everyone is ubber thin

The discussion about 165 lbs being "big" was for open marathons. It's kind of gigantic compared to elite marathoners many of whom are in the 120lbs to 140 lbs range. Rob DeCastella was a "giant" at 143 lbs or so when he went 2:07 at Boston as was Salazar at the same weight going 2:08 at NYC. They were supposed to be favourites in LA 84, and then in the heat of LA they both got smoked by 120 lbs Carlos Lopes. They were winning all the cool fall and spring marathons, but just generated too much heat at 140+ lbs for a summer marathon. Take this up to 165 lbs and no chance for a "massive" 165 lbs marathoner to compete with a 120 lb marathoner.....but in tris, the 120 lbs athlete cannot produce enough power on the bike and the run speeds are slowed down sufficiently off the bike such that the incremental heat generation does not hurt the 160 lbs triathlete as much.

So Ed wins at tris where he would lose from being too big to be an open marathoner....same reason Gwen J is too big to be a truly elite marathoner. The math works against her at marathons.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
pvolb wrote:
T-wrecks wrote:

More like they belong in their own forum: tl;dr. Safe space my ass. I don't have time to read through his verbose monologues.

LOL....we all have 168 hours per week, so it's priority management in terms of what time ST squanders out of the 168 and which posters eat into the 168 hrs...if it helps your time and priority management skills then the forum has tools to help.

Can we get back to Ed's FTP? I'm kind of hoping that he wins overall amateur at Kona cause all hell will break out at this place. Then there will be much bigger problems around here than my posts.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

The discussion about 165 lbs being "big" was for open marathons. It's kind of gigantic compared to elite marathoners many of whom are in the 120lbs to 140 lbs range. Rob DeCastella was a "giant" at 143 lbs or so when he went 2:07 at Boston as was Salazar at the same weight going 2:08 at NYC. They were supposed to be favourites in LA 84, and then in the heat of LA they both got smoked by 120 lbs Carlos Lopes. They were winning all the cool fall and spring marathons, but just generated too much heat at 140+ lbs for a summer marathon. Take this up to 165 lbs and no chance for a "massive" 165 lbs marathoner to compete with a 120 lb marathoner.....but in tris, the 120 lbs athlete cannot produce enough power on the bike and the run speeds are slowed down sufficiently off the bike such that the incremental heat generation does not hurt the 160 lbs triathlete as much.

So Ed wins at tris where he would lose from being too big to be an open marathoner....same reason Gwen J is too big to be a truly elite marathoner. The math works against her at marathons.[/quote]
Carlos Lopes was 5-6.

De-Castella was 5-11

Alberto Salazar is 5-11

Look at Ed Baker, he's a twig. What are you gonna cut away? He's already probably under 10% BF.

How the hell do you people say Gwen is too big to be an elite runner, she 5-10 and 120lbs...if anything she's too light for her frame. We really gotta stop spouting bullshit when it comes to weight. Gwen in general is tiny.

Shalane ie 5-5 and 105lbs...you're telling me that Gwen at 5 inches taller and 15-18 lbs more is too big...gtfo here.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
Why was this video made? He’s obviously super talented, but who was this video made for?

Parlance of our times.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Slowman wrote:

So Ed wins at tris where he would lose from being too big to be an open marathoner....same reason Gwen J is too big to be a truly elite marathoner. The math works against her at marathons.

I get what you're saying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Carlos Lopes was 5-6.

De-Castella was 5-11

Alberto Salazar is 5-11

Look at Ed Baker, he's a twig. What are you gonna cut away? He's already probably under 10% BF.

How the hell do you people say Gwen is too big to be an elite runner, she 5-10 and 120lbs...if anything she's too light for her frame. We really gotta stop spouting bullshit when it comes to weight. Gwen in general is tiny.

Shalane ie 5-5 and 105lbs...you're telling me that Gwen at 5 inches taller and 15-18 lbs more is too big...gtfo here.[/quote]
For running fast open marathons, its not just how skinny you are at your height, it's about how light your total weight is. Aside from the pounding if you have a 50 kilo runner and the 60 kilo runner both running at around 5.5 m/s the heavier runner will be producing ~250W more of heat that needs to dissipate. That's 2.5 100 watt lightbulbs of heat inside the body. Granted the bigger runner has more surface area, but may not have as much surface area to volume so cannot get rid of the excess heat as easily.

The above is also Patrick Lange's massive run advantage in Kona relative to the 160 lbs tri runners since he is closer to 140 lbs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next