Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [infinIT 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is absolutely correct!!! The theory that sugars are bad and only maltodextrin should be used has been refuted by numerous studies. A blend of various high glycemic carbohydrate sources is best! Fructose is OK, but too much and it too will wreak havoc on your gut.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love maltodextrine. You need it for bulk calories because of its ability to get a ton of calories and keep it isotonic. BUT, you are limited to about 240 calories per hour (.9 gms/hr per kilo of body weight) that you can absorb with maltodextrine by itself. If you mix a combination of glucose, maltose, sucrose (and in some cases fructose) those absorbtion rates go to 1.24 gms/hr per kilo of body weight. That is 25-30% more calories per hour you will be able to process, a major difference in a long training day or race. If you are greater than 140 lbs, you might be running at a deficit.

Not saying it will not work for you, it's just not the most efficient and limits your ability to absorb calories. The comment I hear from Hammer customers is that the product works OK, but they tend to feel "flat". They notice a big difference when using a drink with the correct blend of multiple carbs.[/reply]
Robert Kunz / Founder and VP of Science for First Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the consistency of Ultragen+water. Is it like a sports drink? Or something thicker/chalkier?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thicker, yes..chalkier, id say no! What is nice is that it goes into solution nicely without clumping.

In Reply To:
What's the consistency of Ultragen+water. Is it like a sports drink? Or something thicker/chalkier?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hammer >>>>>>>>>>>>> First Endurance. I don't care how much some people (sponsored by FE) push FE products on here, I've been thoroughly disappointed. Hammer tastes pretty meh but I've been impressed with their greatness.
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [:D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone comment on their Fruit Punch flavored recovery drink?
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [Saltamontes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FP tastes good. Not as good as Orange Creamsicle though. I personally don't like the real Orange Creamsicle ice cream bars - not a fan. But OC Ultragen is the bomb!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultragen is mixed with water, I use the Cappuccino flavor, it tastes like a SBUX bottled Cap with a bit lighter consistency.........I love the stuff!!
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [ships] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks. I love those Starbucks things, good reference point. I'll have to give it a shot.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EFS for simplicity and taste.. I always had to add in salt caps and/or gatorade mix into Heed.
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My FE "pusher" out of Chicago has promised me the new line up would be out and ready to ship mid Feb. Does this jive with what you are hearing?
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [goldenboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. OC is bomb. I bought all the OC at both LBS & LRS, had to start using the FP. Also really good. Stuff mixes better than the Recoverite (I don't get in trouble for not washing out the glass immediately). My personal perception is that I am a lot snappier with the Ultragen vs. the Recoverite. I haven't tried the EFS or liquishot yet.
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [slownstubborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recover much better with Recoverite and it tastes really good.

----------
Miguel Andrade
http://mitano.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [sirkilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So just to be clear, you do or do not need to take endurolytes with FE EFS?

Citius, Altius, Fortius
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To make it taste even more lie Sbux, you can put a VIA instant coffee in it. Gives you a really good kick if you havent already had too much Pre Race for the day.
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [trigreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See, with Hammer you dont have to mix with anything else it tastes good by itself!

----------
Miguel Andrade
http://mitano.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So just to be clear, you do or do not need to take endurolytes with FE EFS?

95% athletes will get all the electrolytes they need if using the EFS drink as their foundation. Some, like Jordan prefer some additional electrolytes. Amanda Lovato who's had some nutritional challenges the past few years, simplified her nutrition (she eliminated additional salt). Here she details what she did at her win last weekend at the Pucon 70.3. see http://www.team.firstendurance.com/...3-race-day-nutrition

Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [ridehard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Mix only with water if using it for recovery. Milk slows down the absorption of Ultragen and makes it less effective. Some, including
Mr. Rappstar due make pre-workout smoothies from time to time..in this case milk is fine.

Also,
-New EFS with all the upgrades launching late next week.

-Finally, we have already begun work on new EFS liquid shot flavors

What day can we order on the site? I was about to put in an order but want to wait for the new stuff.

Thanks
Mike

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Mix only with water if using it for recovery. Milk slows down the absorption of Ultragen and makes it less effective. Some, including
Mr. Rappstar due make pre-workout smoothies from time to time..in this case milk is fine.

Also,

What day can we order on the site? I was about to put in an order but want to wait for the new stuff.

Thanks
Mike

We are shooting for Tuesday or Wed next week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, well HTFU ;-)

"Why then do non-working muscles not cramp?"

Because they are not doing any work!?! Not trying to be a smarta**, as I know the square root of nothing at all about all the science behind all this, but to imply that if it were soley due to electrolyte depletion then all muscles would cramp, does not make much sense to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Also,

Is "working on new EFS liquid shot flavors" a 2 month, 8 month, 2 year, process? Just curious.

Thanks

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to repost your Q&A from the PBN Forum here as well:

------
Trigeek: Just curious if any endurolytes are needed for a Half or Full IM while taking EFS Grape. I'm a new convert from Hammer products and am use to taking 4 endurolytes an hour with Sustained Energy. I'm planning on using 6 scoops of EFS Grape for my half ironman coming up. Anything else I may need? (148lbs, 5'8")

TriGeek,

Good question & the answer is maybe or maybe not. The reason there is some gray area is that your personal electrolyte needs (or calorie needs for that matter) may be above or below what is in 6-scoops of EFS.

I have no idea what your projected bike time is, but if we can assume a 3-hr ride, 6-scoops of EFS would put you at:

Calories: 576 (192 /hr)
Sodium: 1620mg (520 /hr)
Potassium: 960mg (320 /hr)
*There's more to a perfect calorie/electrolyte strategy than what's included above, but I wanted you to have some reference points.

So, in looking at the above, I would definitely say your caloric intake is too low & the electrolyte intake may/may not bee too low. We have athletes we consult with who have FANTASTIC Ironman races on 400mg of sodium per hour. Conversely, Jordan Rapp (Ironman Canada & AZ Champion whom we also work with), routinely consumes close to 2,000mg /hr).
*For reference, Jordan's Nutritional Report from IMAZ is posted here HERE.

So, in looking at your 1/2 IM strategy, my initial concern would be your calorie intake as it's on the low side. With regards to the electrolyte intake, it may be correct & it's something only you can determine through trial & error. That trial & error process is no different what we worked with Jordan on until he finally settled in on that 1500-2000mg /hr intake.

Should you determine that your electrolyte needs are higher than what would be consumed in the EFS, I would definitely recommend using something other than Endurolytes as there are MANY better options out there (i.e S-Caps, Salt Stick, Lava Salts or Thermolytes).

Each of these are basically a combination of electrolytes, in powder form, enclosed in a capsule. Although they may appear identical, there are DRAMATIC differences between them.

As an example, lets look at the sodium content of each of the above caps (we spend so much time looking at sodium as it's the electrolyte in highest concentration in our sweat & urine):

S-Caps: 341mg
Salt Stick: 215mg
Lava Salts: 158mg
Thermolytes: 150mg
Endurolytes: 40mg

So what this says is that if you have a goal of consuming 600mg of sodium per hour (an avg hourly intake during an endurance event) & you're going to do it exclusively through electrolyte caps, you can consume (2) S-Caps or (15) Endurolytes.....quite a difference!

It's true there's more to a quality electrolyte replacement cap than just sodium, so the examples above should NOT necessarily be viewed as Best >> Worst. The majority of the pros we are working w/ lean towards the Salt Stick caps, primarily because of the spectrum of other ingredients in the cap such as potassium, magnesium & calcium. That coupled w/ the fact that some athletes are vegetarians & prefer a vegetable based capsule (Salt Stick is vegetable & S! Caps have a vegetable option - the others are/do not).

My point is that the Endurolytes are SO FAR below virtually every other cap available, our impetus to recommend it is nearly zero.

Best of luck in your prep & if this is something you'd like to dig into on more of a 1-1 basis, please don't hesitate to contact me directly (Brian@PersonalBestNutrition.com).

---

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Last edited by: BrianPBN: Jun 28, 10 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [:D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hammer >>>>>>>>>>>>> First Endurance. I don't care how much some people (sponsored by FE) push FE products on here, I've been thoroughly disappointed. Hammer tastes pretty meh but I've been impressed with their greatness.

I'll take a sponsorship! =) EFS is mobetta;
Quote Reply
Re: EFS vs. Hammer Nutrition [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Also,

Is "working on new EFS liquid shot flavors" a 2 month, 8 month, 2 year, process? Just curious.

Thanks

Could be any of the above. We put no calendar deadline on our launch. We do extensive testing, and not until we have great feedback do we launch. For an additional flavor, my best guess would be 3 to 6 months.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EFS all the way. it is the best product out there
Quote Reply

Prev Next