Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dear Macca... [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply]Why is he being a dick? Faris started this with his BS in Hawaii, Macca is just answering back.[/reply]

I hope you don't teach your children that sort of reasoning.
"Well, he hit me with a mallet so i clobbered him with a sledge hammer."

Again...just walk away and let your actions do your talking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Im guessing you dont like Macca either? Were punches thrown? Were Macca's comments that bad? I think being called a cheater is pretty bad.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Last edited by: Ed in IL: Jan 23, 07 13:26
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Macca... [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't like the actions of anyone who acts in that way. personally, i don't care one way or the other. I am only commenting on the lack of class he is showing. That's all.
I would respect him far more if he just went out day after day and whooped the guys who talked bad about him into the ground. I am all for a rivalry but I don't think all this trash talk is useful. Just makes people look stupid.
You are correct, being called a cheater is pretty bad. So next year, he should go out and prove them all wrong and win it from the front. if he does that and says nothing, I will be a fan for life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should make for a good race in Kona in October!

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Macca... [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to explain class and sportsmanship to a culture that has lost both.

I quit the high school basketball team because I couldn't put up with all the trash talk among teammates. Looking back, what the hell were the coaches doing while it was happening. In the end, I made the right choice. I was much better on the indoor track.

:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Let's say I call you a cheater. Later on, I come up to you and I apologize for what I said. Months later you go on and on AND ON about how you beat me in a chicken shit race. You're a dick. Agree?
Its hard to forgive someone when they call you a cheater on an international stage.
I thought everyone was a Christian around here.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Macca... [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean. I didn't play on the varsity hockey team my junior year in high school just because i didn't want to deal with the people. We lost our old coach because he ended up doing coaching for the minnesota wild. The new coach wanted me on their team after the first weekend and i didn't want anything of it.

Its very interesting to see the differences between team sports and this one. You can even see the difference with one of my best friends who is on the girls track team/c.c. team up here. Even though the points are scored as a team is still a completely different concept of team that i am used to.

P.s. Read the message i sent you.
Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Last edited by: cyclonehockey21: Jan 23, 07 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having just read Macca's post again and then this entire thread... this is insane. Macca sat at a press conference and listened to Faris claim he's the best swimmer in the world (not even close) and that he'll win the race on the bike because Macca can't ride (did Faris miss the last decade?). And Faris called him a cheater in Hawaii when he obviously didn't cheat or he'd have been given a penalty.

And all Macca did was say that he smashed him. Yes, it was a nothing race and yes I highly doubt either them are super fit right now. But Faris was the one talking it up before the race. Again, Macca never said a thing about his character or anything else personal. Just that he smashed the guy who said he'd win.

If fingers are to be pointed, it's Faris who did get personal and who did question his character by calling him a cheater.

I like Faris and I like Macca. I love the competitive juices and hope these two dual it out and go 1-2 for years to come at races around the globe. I do not however have any problem with someone saying I'm going to win and I don't have a problem with someone saying they crushed someone else when they did.

These guys are not Barry Bonds (lying cheater) or T.O. (mental case). They are just two of the worlds very best Triathletes who are talking it up. And the "it" is just the racing. They are class guys in my opinion and as long as it doesn't get personal with totally unrelated attacks, I'm ok with the 'trash talking'.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Macca... [hughes.55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally someone with commonsense on this thread.

I think way too much is being interpreted on the term "smashed". Used for all sorts of purposes down here and really means nothing. Certainly the slant that is being put on this bit of text is way out of line with the real Macca if you meet him or come across him while training.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Macca... [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Casey, you wrote, "Macca has no class and I for one will be cheering for Normann"

Are you kidding! Norman told the entire crowd in Hawaii to F-Off and flew the bird at the cameras and crowd. You support that and continue to cheer for Normann. Normann, the same guy who was openly angry and complained to the press that a Handicap athelte was ranked higher than him in some German list of athletes. Yeah, classy guy!

Yet you're so quick to jump on Macca for saying he "smashed" someone after a race. You have me at a loss.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Macca... [ozy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think way too much is being interpreted on the term "smashed".

It's not the word "smashed." Go back and re-read it and count how many times he says it. I got the point the first time. It's like he's trying too hard to convince everybody that he really did "smash" Faris. Okay. We get it. Move on.

Personally, I don't give a crap about either one of these guys (or Normann). They're all great triathletes -- much, much, MUCH better than I will ever be. I respect the hell out of their abilities, but they all need to learn when to shut the hell up.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is this a possiblilty?

"Maybe when I'm gone and Kieran is the number one in the world I could be the super coach with the greatest system in the world," says McCormack
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Macca... [Lo Lo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's impossible, everybody knows that Pete Coulson is the greatest triathlon coach in the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Let's say I call you a cheater. Later on, I come up to you and I apologize for what I said. Months later you go on and on AND ON about how you beat me in a chicken shit race. You're a dick. Agree?
Its hard to forgive someone when they call you a cheater on an international stage.
I thought everyone was a Christian around here.

But how about if I apologize next October when I win Kona. Then I am no longer a dick? Is there a time limit?

I would say they are both acting like dicks. That is different than saying they are dicks, but continued behavior may prove one or both as dicks.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you're due for more punishment. Stand it like a man. And give some back.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Macca... [Lo Lo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
is this a possiblilty?

"Maybe when I'm gone and Kieran is the number one in the world I could be the super coach with the greatest system in the world," says McCormack

kieran has potential to get there...he's still really young. one of the best swim/bike combos out there...and he seems to be learning the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macca's like the John McEnroe of our sport. He creates controversy and backs it up with performance, or he creates controversy and than then crashes and burns. In any event, its all good publicity. Trying to interpret text is pretty pointless. We don't have all the details and frankly reading what he said with a Canadian, Portugese, or American accent might take away from the true meaning of the words where it came out Aussie style. So rather than worry about it, let's appreciate this for what it is...publicity generating smack talk between prize fighters, or 100m sprinters...its all good and creates excitement and makes us anticipate the next clash. Personally I am a huge fan of Faris, Norman and Macca and never know which guy to pull for...they all have exciting on field and off field personalities and it has been a long time since we have had that in this sport.

The last time we had this much excitement was in the Sydney Olympic lead up with Michellie Jones, Emma Carney, Jackie Gallagher and Loretta Harrop all fighting for a spot on that team (they swept top 4 at 99 ITU World's in Montreal...).

Check this out...Aussies taking the top 5 all 1 min apart...insane!

1 Loretta Harrop AUS 2 1:55:28.0 Elite Women 1/62 3 18:37 1:15 9 59:00 40.7 6 36:43 3:41 0:36 0:34 2 Jackie Gallagher AUS 3 1:56:00.1 Elite Women 2/62 27 19:52 1:20 25 59:11 40.6 1 35:49 3:35 0:36 0:35 3 Emma Carney AUS 4 1:56:19.2 Elite Women 3/62 37 20:00 1:20 14 59:04 40.6 2 36:08 3:37 0:38 0:33 4 Michellie Jones AUS 1 1:56:19.6 Elite Women 4/62 22 19:50 1:20 26 59:12 40.6 3 36:08 3:37 0:37 0:35 5 Joanne King AUS 8 1:56:36.2 Elite Women 5/62 30 19:54 1:20 16 59:05 40.6 5 36:23 3:39 0:42 0:34

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good on ya for posting this this and letting the STers make their own decisions about Chris' ummm... eccentricity.

However, I didn't hear anybody call the Morality Police. Sounds like Macca has some sort of beef with Faris, and is just bold (or childish) enough to make it public knowledge.

"I hate Lyndsey Lohan because she slapped Paris Hilton at a party last week... waaaaaahhhh!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe I should put something nice here.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Macca... [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to explain class and sportsmanship to a culture that has lost both.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And I think this is what the Aussies and some Americans can't grasp. It's not attractive nor does it reflect well on one to be proclaiming things like " I'm the best-and you can tell him, and put this in the mag-I'm the best Ironman athlete in the world. He may have the title, but I will toss my hat in the ring any day of the week.... Normann Stadler has to ride full-out because he can't run. And he swims like a dog".

The lack of respect for one's fellow competitors stated in such a manner (as MAcca did on Triathlete mag's website) shows a lack of self-respect and insecurity. Do you think Dave Scott, Mark Allen or PNF would have vented to all and sundry in such a manner ? It's not just a sign of the times either, Craig Alexandar and Sam McGlone represent themselves and the sport with more decorum and class.

I started by generalising cultures but it is not everyone in any culture that acts in this manner point of case Michellie who conducts herself with dignity at all times.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(I could add that you don't like me, but the thread is not really about me.)

True, but you wrote the post. Don't be sensitive. Please admit that this stuff is good for the sport. The more shit talking rivalrys, the better. It's human nature to be drawn to this stuff...I'm not saying it's right, but perception is reality....you don't have to like it, you just have to understand.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Macca... [tbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not good for the sport. It makes triathletes look like idiots. It is good for Chris as it gets him in the papers/news/whatever but in terms of good for the sport. No way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Markus, get real...the only people following triathlon are triathletes and a handful of peripheral endurance sports freaks. The rest of the world already think we're idiots. So Macca mouthing off changes nothing with respect to the rest of the world, but it does keep the rest of us triathlete (who happen to be pretty well the only fans of this obscure sport) buying copy and posting on equally obscure web forums, and perhaps even tuning in to "watch" the next matchup on Ironmanlive, which in turn allows the WTC to suck in more sponsorsorship revenue, which as much as you might hate it, IS good for the sport...otherwise those same sponsorship dollars might end up in Windsurfing or Kite boarding coverage:-)

Dev

PS....who knows, it might even allow Mr. Empfield to sell more sponsor banner on ST, which in turn keeps this wonderful service free....so go Macca, keep talking smack so that more $$$ roll back into this sport :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Macca... [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's pretty short sighted Dev but to each his own.
Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I do not think this is short sighted at all and right on the money. For the most part only triathlete will ever follow this and yes I do look forward to a showdown with Macca, Faris and Normann. I do think that it generates more interest in our sport within the sport. Look at how much this thread has been looked at and talked about. I bet that everyone who is responding to this (thinking it is good or bad for the sport) will be glued to there computer when the next race that the three are doing and will be cheering for one or the other. I think that if they are not personally attaching each others character and just talking smack about racing that it is fine. Too each their own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really...look what McEnroe did for tennis, or Ali for boxing. Not that I am putting Macca in that category of athlete (yet), but money makes sport go around and you need personalities to keep the money flowing. That's just the way the business world works...at least Donald Trump gets it (like it or hate it)...the guy is milking this Rosie thing from every ounce of PR he can turn his way. All of these people are the masters of self promotion...Macca is not that much different.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Macca... [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You do not see Americans triathletes doing this because at this time there are no good American triathletes.

:^)
Maybe you should do some research? Desiree Ficker, Gina Kehr, Hunter Kemper, Tim DeBoom (2 time Kona champ), Cam Widoff, and theres more.. How about Americans winning half of the Age Group awards at Kona?

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Not really...look what McEnroe did for tennis, or Ali for boxing. Not that I am putting Macca in that category of athlete (yet), but money makes sport go around and you need personalities to keep the money flowing. That's just the way the business world works...at least Donald Trump gets it (like it or hate it)...the guy is milking this Rosie thing from every ounce of PR he can turn his way. All of these people are the masters of self promotion...Macca is not that much different.

Dev[/reply]

you just proved my point. I admitted it was probably great for him but not for the sport. Self promotion..in your own words.
I was a provincially ranked tennis player at the time Johnny Mac was at his prime and I can tell you this, his tirades did nothing for the SPORT of tennis. yup, it got some air time but it made tennis players look like unbalanced whiny psychos. Like it or not, folks form opinions of groups of people based on what they see one or two people do.
Personally, I still say saying nothing and trouncing people on race day speaks FAR louder than any other smack he might put down. Besides, if faris or Norman beat him at any point this year, will he not look like an even bigger fool?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again you are talking from your perspective as a tennis player and are you sure you were provincially ranked in 1980 when the big Borg vs McEnroe smackdown was happening at Wimbeldon...I thought you were in diapers then...or at least in pre school :-).

McEnroe helped NBC sell big air time...hot air or whatever air, people tuned in to watch and it sold copy...and no, self promotion is just a word, but in promoting themselves, these guys promote the sport or business around them...I guess that's why you aren't in marketing and trapped in the technie world and don't understand perhaps how the dollars flow :-(.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure why people care so much if Macca sets himself with lots of hot air and gets trounced. It would not be the first time. He did the same at his first 2 attempts at Kona and blew up. If the guy actually cared what people thought, he might keep his mouth shut in fear of a repeat of the first 2 years, but from what I am reading he's not losing sleep over the possiblity of getting trounced :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next