Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [Cerpan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerpan wrote:
Nobody seem to have mentioned Golden Cheetah, I've never used it and dont know anything about it but it usually comes up. Anyone that knows more?

I use it.

I used to use TP for years, but switched to Golden Cheetah as I felt TP wasn't offering good value.

Golden Cheetah gives you all the same charts (and more). The only issue is when you first use it it takes a bit of getting used to and the interface is not as good as TP (which itself is pretty poor).

However, as far as information goes, it does at least as much as TP.

I'm not sure why it doesn't get more attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimVance wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:
One thing more coach...and I am not sure if you can answer this one. Why is that there isn't any Today's Plan servers on the EU? That seems odd.

By the way, wishing both you and Ben Kanye continued success!

Sure, happy to answer. Today's Plan have a number of servers in the EU. We are the official platform for Team Ineos, Bora Hansgrohe, (and other Pro Tour teams), the German Triathlon Federation, (DTU), and large coaching organizations like STAPS in Germany, as well as a large number of other customers based there. So we have a number of servers in the EU, as it is an important region we serve.

Thank you, Kanute can't wait to get back to racing. Let me know if I can help further.

Love the subtle correction!

Maybe I'll give the 7-day trial a shot to check it out. Personally, I haven't had a coach in about four years now and use a basic calendar template to plan out workouts. I haven't even been doing that over the past few months with no races in sight. Just getting in lots of volume with a variety of fun workouts.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The learning curve I guess...

I actually mix both TP and Golden Cheetah, I use TP basically to get the homework from my coach, and then I store everything in GC, which IMO is much better for analysis... but it will take lots of customization if you want to go beyond the basics... Also, they cannot use the TP names (IF, NP, TSS, CTL...) so they came up with alternative names for pretty much the same concepts, which can make things more confusing to some.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i tried the todaysplan and the creation of workouts seems to be much more time consuming that in TP - i havent yet figured out how to creat workouts with exact power target not the range to be able to do in erg mode
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any way to send workouts to the stryd app on my apple watch? Basically the only thing that keeps me on training peaks.....

Follow me on Instagram: [https://www.instagram.com/sobyschwartz/]
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [paulfrost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paulfrost wrote:
Garmin Connect is a mess, the navigation and presentation is jumbled and inconsistent. Swim data is handled well. Power data from my Assioma pedals is really good. But it's Training Status and Training Effect report is useless because it doesn't merge data from different devices. I use a Garmin Edge 530 on my bike and a Forerunner 935 watch for running, swimming and activity monitor. So my Edge training load doesn't take into account what I've done running with my watch, so both often end up reporting I'm not doing enough.

That should work. To have the data shared between devices there's an option in each devices settings on Garmin Connect called Physio True-up that you have to select on. I have a fenix 5 and an edge 520 plus and my workouts are shared between the two devices.

I actually record my zwift rides on my edge 520 plus just so the training loads etc are shared to my watch for a more accurate training status and load calculation.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been fiddling with the paid version of training peaks for a month. One thing I noticed is that if I do more mtb riding without power or more running, it decides that I'm very fresh, when in truth I've done some uptempo work in the woods. Not clear if it's worth the money
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [greasdupdeafguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
greasdupdeafguy wrote:
That should work. To have the data shared between devices there's an option in each devices settings on Garmin Connect called Physio True-up that you have to select on. I have a fenix 5 and an edge 520 plus and my workouts are shared between the two devices.
I actually record my zwift rides on my edge 520 plus just so the training loads etc are shared to my watch for a more accurate training status and load calculation.
That's the problem, it should work but doesn't. I have Physio True-up turned on for both devices. I also use my 530 for Zwift rides.
When I go to the reports for cycling and running I get a drop down menu to choose between my 530 and 935, one reports my current status is "Maintaining" (Your current training load is sufficient to maintain your fitness level. To see improvement, try adding more variety to your workouts) and the other is "Productive" (Keep up the good work! Your training load is moving your fitness in the right direction. Be sure to plan recovery periods into your training to maintain your fitness level).
The 7 day training load is also different for each device, but the Exercise load is the same for both.
There are numerous threads on the Garmin support forum complaining about this problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [sobyschwartz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on that Coach Vance can Agus he needs it for his book on running power...His fans want it so make it happen!😁

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
I have been fiddling with the paid version of training peaks for a month. One thing I noticed is that if I do more mtb riding without power or more running, it decides that I'm very fresh, when in truth I've done some uptempo work in the woods. Not clear if it's worth the money

That sounds like a threshold configuration issue. Ie, your MTB and running thresholds are set too high so that it thinks that your training load is lower than it really is.

That said....combining training loads from different sports is a bit of an "art". In other words, its not really valid...but, can be fudged by artificially manipulating the thresholds or by simply knowing that running has XX impact, MTB has YY impact, etc.

I don't MTB, but without power...I can see how that would be a hard activity to calculate a valid TSS score for by HR alone. HR response is so slow that it might underestimate lots of shorter harder efforts.

Running should just be a matter of setting a good pace threshold...maybe a little slower than 10km pace which will skew the TSS / hr a little higher.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mostly run in the grass so I should probably just make up some kind of a threshold value
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
I mostly run in the grass so I should probably just make up some kind of a threshold value

Yeah. I find grass running a bit more taxing that either trails or hard surfaces. So, if it were me, I'd probably set a pretty low threshold.

If you have some idea about "how much TSS" a specific run should be...then you can adjust your threshold setting in TP, and then recalc just that single run. Then you can iterate tweaking the threshold until you get a TSS that you think is right for that one run. Once you get it right, you can recalc everything else (in bulk) to back calculate your runs and overall ATL/CTL/TSB numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
jroden wrote:

Yeah. I find grass running a bit more taxing that either trails or hard surfaces. So, if it were me, I'd probably set a pretty low threshold.

If you have some idea about "how much TSS" a specific run should be...then you can adjust your threshold setting in TP, and then recalc just that single run. Then you can iterate tweaking the threshold until you get a TSS that you think is right for that one run. Once you get it right, you can recalc everything else (in bulk) to back calculate your runs and overall ATL/CTL/TSB numbers.

Wow that is a great trick thank you so much. I think I just need to adjust the heart rate values too I'm sort of a diesel tugboat and can produce decent power at a pretty low heart rate.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you like today’s plan v TrainerRoad? Are the plans any better? Customizable or ability to make more personal or predictive? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SO far I think I would have to give the nod to todaysplan. I do have Zwift, so I have been pushing the workouts there and completing them using ERG. If you did not want to do that, I think pushing the workout to a garmin and then using ANT FC might be a step too far for me.
You can schedule vacations and breaks, you can say "I can only ride 60 minutes on Tuesdays" and I think almost every workout has a video explaining it, which is nice for me esp when it comes to swimming.
I do think TR UI might be a little easier to understand, but it is also giving you less information, so I guess that is understandable.
Right now we have an 8 week old, so I am not anywhere near being able to stick with a training plan, but in a few weeks I think I will be a full time user.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
Have a look at intervals.icu. Really all about the analysis and not the planning, imports automatically only from Strava. But terrific analysis with some unique tools. Not connected except as an active user.

Thanks very much for the mention (I am the Intervals.icu developer). It now has a good bit of planning including a workout library and a structured workout builder (for Zwift and others). It will also import your training plan from Training Peaks, Todays Plan, Trainer road and others with calendar export.

It does a bunch of other stuff (FTP estimation without tests, interval detection without laps, automatic power/HR spike detection and fix, nice power/HR plots of various kinds etc etc). I have to get a "marketing" site up soon!

If you have your history on Strava you will be up and running with Intervals.icu very quickly.

https://intervals.icu
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stupid auto-correct didn't know Kanute .......SMH......

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [sobyschwartz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sobyschwartz wrote:
Any way to send workouts to the stryd app on my apple watch? Basically the only thing that keeps me on training peaks.....

I assume you're referring to this? https://support.stryd.com/...h-from-TrainingPeaks

I spoke with Angus at Stryd, and he said, "This is on our development plan. We have a significant power-based training launch coming in later this year.
We plan to bring in workouts from Today's Plan and other services to enable the execution of power-based running workouts on different devices such as Apple Watch."

So, I would expect it in the coming months. As of now, if you have a Garmin, you can sync the workout directly to it to execute, but some of these others will come soon. Today's Plan was acquired in late 2019 by many of the heads of Specialized, and we have had a large investment from them to continue to improve the cloud and platform offerings. We are very nimble, and you'll continue to see more features coming at a very fast rate. (Or at least faster than our competitors seem to operate at).

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
+1 on that Coach Vance can Agus he needs it for his book on running power...His fans want it so make it happen!😁

See my reply above. And thanks for the book plug and being a fan!

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
i tried the todaysplan and the creation of workouts seems to be much more time consuming that in TP - i havent yet figured out how to creat workouts with exact power target not the range to be able to do in erg mode

Thanks for the feedback. First, I don't know if you're a coach, or just coach yourself, so I'm going to speak as if you're a coach anyway. I think once you understand all you can do with the workout builder, it becomes a pretty great tool. And realize, if you're a coach especially, one structured workout you build in Today's Plan has RPE, HR, and Power prescriptions to it. If you're talking running workouts, then you can add pace zone prescriptions to that as well. And then you do progressions to have 6 different variations of that workout. For example, a long run that starts at 30 mins and progresses by 10 mins, gives you the same run in one workout in your library, but for 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, and 80 mins. And don't forget, there's 4 prescription types for that workout, (RPE, HR, Run Power, Run Pace), so that's actually 24 different workouts you would have to build in TrainingPeaks individually. So you're literally building workouts 24x faster in our platform, and then if you prescribe those workouts, you can set it to progress each week, so you can also write training 6x faster than TrainingPeaks, (they are single workout in library only, drag and drop one at a time). Then you can clone that workout and change the progression to 5 mins instead of 10, and now you have 48 different workouts in the time it would take you to build 2 in TrainingPeaks. So again, once you understand how to use it, it is very fast.

Here's some things to help you, that you might consider trying...

- You should set the "sample threshold" value to your threshold, so you can see what the workout intensity prescribes, (especially if you're looking for a set pace or power)
- You can set custom zones, and the workouts you build can be specific to those zones, so if you wanted to do zones by 10%, you can more easily dial in the specific intensity you're looking for.
- Today's Plan has a YouTube channel to help as well, and here's the one on the workout builder:

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have more questions.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Last edited by: JimVance: Jul 2, 20 18:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's ok, you're entitled to your opinion. And I think if you looked at our platform recently, it is something we continue to improve on. It is especially noticeable in our mobile app. Today's Plan has been a small company, with limited resources, but with the new acquisition, things are accelerating with an influx of developers, UI/UX staff, and a very cool roadmap to the things we're building, which no one has or is doing. We will be revolutionizing the market, and it's already starting to happen.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jim. I like what you describe above. That's one of the (many) things about TP that has always frustrated me...the inability to define a parametric workout progression. I don't want to create 15 different versions of the same basic thing. I'm fundamentally lazy.

I want to create a block with certain workout types spread through the week... And the let the progression happen. The I can define the next prototype week 6 or 8 weeks later.

I certainly haven't written today's plan off, by any means. It's been a year.... I probably need to give it another look. I do applaud the hiring of a ui/ux team. I'm a lead engineer for a large Dev team. The ui/ux folks fill in the gaps left by well meaning backend developers , but inept at the front end stuff. I say that as a former backend developer.

Once upon a time when I was a wee little developer I wrote some rather complex spreadsheets to do almost exactly what you describe above. But this was back in the stone age of computerized training logs. The year still started with a 19. :=)

How often can I re-evaluate to system.... Sincey last trial expired?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Hey Jim. I like what you describe above. That's one of the (many) things about TP that has always frustrated me...the inability to define a parametric workout progression. I don't want to create 15 different versions of the same basic thing. I'm fundamentally lazy.

I want to create a block with certain workout types spread through the week... And the let the progression happen. The I can define the next prototype week 6 or 8 weeks later.

I certainly haven't written today's plan off, by any means. It's been a year.... I probably need to give it another look. I do applaud the hiring of a ui/ux team. I'm a lead engineer for a large Dev team. The ui/ux folks fill in the gaps left by well meaning backend developers , but inept at the front end stuff. I say that as a former backend developer.

Once upon a time when I was a wee little developer I wrote some rather complex spreadsheets to do almost exactly what you describe above. But this was back in the stone age of computerized training logs. The year still started with a 19. :=)

How often can I re-evaluate to system.... Sincey last trial expired?

Awesome, sounds like you should check out our open jobs listings, as there might be some great opportunities for you either now or in the future: https://www.todaysplan.com.au/jobs/

Every new account gets a 7 day free trial of premium status, with no credit card required. So just create a new account and check it out with free premium status. If you PM me your email address, I can send you a basic athlete start-up guide, if you think you'd like some step by step guidance to get head units connected, etc.

Thanks, and I think when you see everything we are doing with our cloud platform, you'll begin to see how different and innovative we are. Also, check out Zone 5 Ventures, our new parent company, (New innovative arm with our cloud technology).

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks Jim; may i suggest that 7 days is quite small amountof time to assess theplatform - i understand that you have access to training plans and workouts - but maybe you should consider longer period. as it will take longer time for any of us to migrate

another thing which is : equipment list; i do find it helpful to log in shoe mileage also see how many miles i ve ridden on tt vs roadie
Last edited by: R2: Jul 3, 20 0:57
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:
thanks Jim; may i suggest that 7 days is quite small amountof time to assess theplatform - i understand that you have access to training plans and workouts - but maybe you should consider longer period. as it will take longer time for any of us to migrate

another thing which is : equipment list; i do find it helpful to log in shoe mileage also see how many miles i ve ridden on tt vs roadie

Thanks for the question. Actually, on Today's Plan you can already track mileage on which type of bike, (road, TT, gravel, MTB, etc). We are working on more with regards shoes. Stay tuned!

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply

Prev Next