Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Alternative to Training Peaks
Quote | Reply
I have a premium membership with Training Peaks for a few years now and I am looking for a replacement. After 5 years of having it, they really have not added any new features and the interface is still really bland and they haven't impressed me with the lack of features on the mobile app. I was thinking of Today's Plan but from what I recall it is great for cycling but not good for running or swimming or strength training or pretty much anything else. I do like the TP fatigue, Fitness and Form score but the rest is really not that good. What are people using as an alternative?

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really have a good answer for you. I feel exactly the same way. I've been a premium member since 1998 or so, when it used to be called Trainingbible.com. I even had lunch with Gear Fischer a couple of times WAAAY back in those days about the original site, and some ideas I'd floated on their forum (back when they had one). A couple of years ago, when TP first started to stagnate I sent in a comment to the help/support site to complain about the stagnation. I had a rational exchange with the support person (not just a cookie cutter), but she acknowledged that the company priorities were elsewhere (brand building, portfolio expanding, etc). I had the same exact exchange again last year....with the same person. Sigh.

I've looked at all the options I could find. I haven't found anything equivalent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently using intervals.icu for Fatigue, Fitness, and From and a bit of analysis. Doesn't really do the planning as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dabbled in Final Surge but a good amount of it is still in BETA. It's clean and the phone app works well but I don't think it will ever dig down as deep as TP. They are responsive, I've had a few exchanges with them and their plans for the future sounds great, we'll see how it all gets implemented.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree with you, but I can’t find a better alternative than Training Peaks right now. It’s the easiest interface to see your workouts and move them around. But they haven’t made any real improvements in the last few years.

They really need to improve the interface for swimming. I end up looking at my swim workouts in Garmin Connect.

I haven’t dabbled with Strava at all. I understand that Trainer Road now has a complete workout calendar, but I imagine that’s cycling focused, even though I think you can set up and track swim and run workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad works well for planning, but not for analysis. It does not accept running or swimming workouts from Garmin (or anywhere else to my knowledge) It just lets you check a box that you completed to workout. So I found myself planning in TR, and then looking at analysis in Garmin Connect. I did not like this
I have been looking into todaysplan. Have not pulled the trigger on the free trial yet though.
Last edited by: Eroc43: Jun 26, 20 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My run and swim workouts automatically load to Training Peaks through Garmin. I'm not sure whether Garmin sends them to TP or whether TP grabs them from Garmin, but either way it works. You may want to check your settings.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Training peak or trainerroad? I know it works in TP, but I was saying it does not work in TR other than cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find this Chrome extension to be a pretty handy alternative

https://thomaschampagne.github.io/elevate/#/landing
Last edited by: FFigawi: Jun 26, 20 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like SportsTrack is still around. It had a lot of features (especially with swimming) that I actually liked better than Training Peaks. I can't remember why I stopped using it though.

http://sporttracks.mobi/dashboard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, Training Peaks has stagnated and there is no indication it is going to improve any time soon.

Their run workouts sync to garmin sucks – can't change data screens, it always show average for lap making it impossible to use for long intervals on the run for example. You can't really plan swim workout and push it to garmin from TP, you have to recreate it in Garmin Connect anyhow.

TrainerRoad has better collection of workouts for the bike and it's sync to garmin/wahoo works perfectly so you can execute all the workouts outdoors – but it does not support run/swim.

TrainingPeaks look and feel is so outdated and bad, it does not help that I'm UX/UI designer and my eyes bleed everytime I have to look on this interface.

Fatique/Fitness/Form chart is probably the only reason why I keep paying $100/year for it, but probably it is time to download your data and migrate somewhere else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I have a premium membership with Training Peaks for a few years now and I am looking for a replacement. After 5 years of having it, they really have not added any new features and the interface is still really bland and they haven't impressed me with the lack of features on the mobile app. I was thinking of Today's Plan but from what I recall it is great for cycling but not good for running or swimming or strength training or pretty much anything else. I do like the TP fatigue, Fitness and Form score but the rest is really not that good. What are people using as an alternative?

Today's Plan has changed a lot over the past 2 years. When did you last look at it? I work for them, so I am happy to answer questions, define what we offer vs what you're looking for.

In 2018 the platform moved from only cycling, to multisport, and continues to grow. We add new features all the time, including last week we launched the Friends dashboard access. This allows you to share your workout data with your friends, comment on each other's workouts, and more, with you selecting specifically who those individuals are that can have access to it.

You'll continue to see many more features coming over the next few months, (many of which I can't share publicly here yet), as our architecture is very different from TrainingPeaks, allowing us to be much more nimble and flexible, able to update quickly and effectively. We were acquired in September by the heads of Specialized, so there's been a big influx of investment into the company, to help us continue to update and innovate expeditiously.

If you have feature requests, I am also keen to hear those. What is most important for you in a platform?

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did the free 7 day trial just to look around todays plan... WOW that is a lot of data. I am excited to see how the zwift integration works, as that seems to be where I am riding the most these days.
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I don't really have a good answer for you. I feel exactly the same way. I've been a premium member since 1998 or so, when it used to be called Trainingbible.com.

I worked at TrainingPeaks about 10 years ago and left for this reason. Even then if felt like the software was stagnating and that they weren't going to develop their weaknesses, specifically in swim and weight training. I actually emailed them a few years ago hoping I could gain access to their API to develop my own weight training app that sync'd with TP, but was told that they don't open it up to outside developers (at least not those that don't have commercial ties to TP). I think they would do well to become a training platform that other developers could interact with, along with removing WKO as a product and moving it, in its entirety, to TrainingPeaks. There's so much cheap computing power in the cloud these days that I can't imagine they couldn't offer a platform that did it all with a reasonable price tag.
Last edited by: jhammond: Jun 26, 20 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [crayzeee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crayzeee wrote:
Yep, Training Peaks has stagnated and there is no indication it is going to improve any time soon.

Their run workouts sync to garmin sucks – can't change data screens, it always show average for lap making it impossible to use for long intervals on the run for example.

I don't understand this comment. The structured interval data screen limitation is a Garmin one, from what I understand by reading Garmin forums. That said, I simply change to whatever other screen I've configured. I use structured run workouts every day for everything from strides to 400s/800s 2mile repeats, and 45min tempo intervals.

crayzeee wrote:

You can't really plan swim workout and push it to garmin from TP, you have to recreate it in Garmin Connect anyhow.

Again, this is a Garmin limitation. The have never published the structure swim workout FIT file format. No one other than Garmin creates structured swim FIT files.

crayzeee wrote:

Fatique/Fitness/Form chart is probably the only reason why I keep paying $100/year for it, but probably it is time to download your data and migrate somewhere else.

To where, exactly? Your own post lists all the ones that don't provide equivalent functions. So, as noted, even though TP sucks, its still the best of the worst.

If TP makes your eyes bleed as a UI/UX person, try Today's plan (sorry, Jim...didn't like it)...or anything else. As near as I can tell...no one is employing a UI/UX designer, or even getting 10 hours of consulting.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 26, 20 12:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:
Training peak or trainerroad? I know it works in TP, but I was saying it does not work in TR other than cycling

Whoops you’re right. I was thinking TP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Coach Vance,

Thanks for the reply. Honestly I have looked at Today’s Plan in about a year. Firstly, I would like something equivalent to the TP Fitness, Fatigue and Form scores. I would also like support for Run Power and something like the Training Peaks Workout Builder so I can send workouts to Stryd or to Garmin automatically. That woudl be a great start because TP is so stale and they haven’t done anything in years to the interface, but its seemingly the only game in town.I am eager to hear if this is currently available or in the pipeline (of what you can share of course.

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a look at intervals.icu. Really all about the analysis and not the planning, imports automatically only from Strava. But terrific analysis with some unique tools. Not connected except as an active user.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Hi Coach Vance,

Thanks for the reply. Honestly I have looked at Today’s Plan in about a year. Firstly, I would like something equivalent to the TP Fitness, Fatigue and Form scores. I would also like support for Run Power and something like the Training Peaks Workout Builder so I can send workouts to Stryd or to Garmin automatically. That woudl be a great start because TP is so stale and they haven’t done anything in years to the interface, but its seemingly the only game in town.I am eager to hear if this is currently available or in the pipeline (of what you can share of course.

Thanks.

Hello, happy to help.

- Today's Plan has changed a lot in a year, and will continue to change. You get a free 7 day trial when you register, (no CC needed), so you should go start one.
- It has CTL, ATL and TSB, all located on the calendar by the day if you want to see it there. If you want to see it for the whole season, you can see it on the calendar with the annual planner charts, and even isolate by sport. It's great to have it available right there on the calendar, so you can see big picture/long-term, at the same time you see the calendar.
- Today's Plan also syncs directly/automatically with Garmin, just need to connect it in your settings, for workouts to automatically upload to the unit.
- Today's Plan is the best platform overall for run power analysis, (IMO), and can directly sync from Garmin post-workout for that data, and/or Stryd.

So in short, Today's Plan can do everything you want, and more. Our YouTube page is a great resource as well: https://www.youtube.com/...ugFFP0eNp54SwUS1yWkg

Let me know if I can help further.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody seem to have mentioned Golden Cheetah, I've never used it and dont know anything about it but it usually comes up. Anyone that knows more?

https://acprestation.se/
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [Cerpan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerpan wrote:
Nobody seem to have mentioned Golden Cheetah, I've never used it and dont know anything about it but it usually comes up. Anyone that knows more?

Its not a drop in replacement for TrainingPeaks, more WKO.
It works well syncing with Today'sPlan, Xert and a host of other services that are alternatives to TrainingPeaks.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing more coach...and I am not sure if you can answer this one. Why is that there isn't any Today's Plan servers on the EU? That seems odd.

By the way, wishing both you and Ben Kanye continued success!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used SportTracks for years (back when it was a PC app) but signed up for Training Peaks last November. I decided to try and get more serious with my training and try to plan more and everyone else seemed to be on Training Peaks and many plans were tied in to TP. But I agree the interface isn't great and some things just seem overly complicated.
I'm now looking at 4 apps to analyze my performance/training and each one has something another doesn't have or presents the data in a more readable way. I don't have a coach or use a purchased plan as I like to be more flexible with my exercise. I'm a middle to back of pack retired 63 year old that does 2-3 70.3's a year. I'm interested in sports science and still think I can get faster, but I'm not obsessed with it. I think I will end up giving up on Training Peaks and concentrate on SportTracks for planning and some reporting and use Garmin and Strava for more specific reporting.

Training Peaks is more customisable for setting zones and they are fine tunable and the reporting of peak performances is nice. But it's just so overwhelming the levels of detail it's trying to present, you can't see the wood for the trees.

SportTracks is more adaptable to smaller screen sizes, it's easy to create workouts from existing activities, but the reports are a bit more limited in some areas. Swim data is handled well. The biggest problem is that there isn't much in the way of help, you need to trawl through blog posts to find out how stuff works. But I think I prefer it to Training Peaks now I have spent time to try and understand it more. I like that it's not a phone app, just works in any browser, any device, one interface across all platforms.

Garmin Connect is a mess, the navigation and presentation is jumbled and inconsistent. Swim data is handled well. Power data from my Assioma pedals is really good. But it's Training Status and Training Effect report is useless because it doesn't merge data from different devices. I use a Garmin Edge 530 on my bike and a Forerunner 935 watch for running, swimming and activity monitor. So my Edge training load doesn't take into account what I've done running with my watch, so both often end up reporting I'm not doing enough. But in other areas the integration with multiple devices like scales and constant heart rate and sleep monitoring and other health type reports makes life easy. It's a brilliant data collector and it can pass that data on to other services, like SportTracks and Strava.

Strava is best at comparing performance over segments or whole rides and the social bit of competition with friends. It's easy to look at year or month to date targets/challenges. But it doesn't have the planned workouts that would predicted fitness, fatigue and form. Analyzing the data in the VeloViewer web app is interesting. Planning a ride route works well and combine with the web app Headwind for help in choosing which direction for a loop ride. So not really a training aid, more of a data analysis tool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
One thing more coach...and I am not sure if you can answer this one. Why is that there isn't any Today's Plan servers on the EU? That seems odd.

By the way, wishing both you and Ben Kanye continued success!

Sure, happy to answer. Today's Plan have a number of servers in the EU. We are the official platform for Team Ineos, Bora Hansgrohe, (and other Pro Tour teams), the German Triathlon Federation, (DTU), and large coaching organizations like STAPS in Germany, as well as a large number of other customers based there. So we have a number of servers in the EU, as it is an important region we serve.

Thank you, Kanute can't wait to get back to racing. Let me know if I can help further.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Alternative to Training Peaks [Cerpan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerpan wrote:

Today's Plan offers a direct sync with Golden Cheetah, for users who want that option.

Jim Vance
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply

Prev Next