Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think abnormally short tibia is really what is needed to operate well with long cranks, in the sense that if you have a short tibia and a heal down pedaling style, it leaves an open hip angle at the top of the pedal stroke.

You see really closed hip angles in some of the women.

It's less common in the men, but this guy did pretty well today:

Dennis doesn't have a closed hip angle. His torso is angled up a bit, but he keeps his head tucked down most of the time.

Here is an older shot where his knee is as high as it goes. Not tight at all. He could run 190s and still be fine...;)

Last edited by: rruff: Sep 26, 18 22:37
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you been following @UKcyclingexpert on Twitter?!
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [LynchDeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LynchDeez wrote:
Since he was working with all those experts, and all the other top time trialists in the world were working with their own experts, wouldn't you expect them to reach conclusions that were far more visibly similar to each other? If not, what do you think the major differences are in their morphology that lead them to have such different positions?

No. Not at all.

Limb lengths, neck length, shoulder and hip width, flexibility, back arch... to name a few. Plus a couple hundred thousand miles of riding road bikes before they got serious about TT. Ingrained posture, pedal stroke, and power production.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great head position, but torso angle is interesting. Wonder if going too flat reduces the amount of power you can put out?
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
this guy did pretty well today:

Just quoted this to add that this guy (Victor Campenaerts) used to be a triathlete, and is a regular at the Belgian beermile championship each year due to this background. He's also part of a very local running club which includes the duathlon world champ of 2016 (Seppe Odeyn, also doing Ironman since a few years getting a few top-10s) and Pieter Heemeryck (who ended up 5th at 70.3 WC recently). I wanted to add it to the post about MTM but did not want to take away from the well deserved glory there.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longer cranks provide the opportunity for more leverage = more power. My view on the shorter cranks phenomenon that has been embraced by our sport over the last 10 or so years is that it will die a quick death like Vibram footwear, racing in compression sleeves, extremely low positions on the bike, ceramic bearings ....... So much of what makes the Tri world an opportunity to make money off of people reaching for easy speed will be found out. The dude is the best TT-er in the world. Why not ask why he's the fastest ? Cheers from NZ, Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [LynchDeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess Dumoulin and Martin need to listen to Dennis's experts or at least learn from his position not the other way around...
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the internet for shits and giggles like this.

The world time trial champion Rohan Dennis destroys the field, rides brilliantly and looks amazingly comfortable and controlled doing so but screw that, his position is crap and he uses the wrong spec cranks...because we all know better!
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
I said the same thing when I read this..the guy destroyed the field today, has been consistent all year and this guy says that...I’m willing to bet his CdA numbers on the track and tunnel are spot on. his head position with the aerohead look great.

I guess that one's obvious when you're Giro's test-bunny during the Aerohead's development

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shane... Shane...
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Then you would have given him very poor advice.

Super glad to have you actively participating on these boards Jim! You really bring a ton of valuable information to discussions!
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I think abnormally short tibia is really what is needed to operate well with long cranks, in the sense that if you have a short tibia and a heal down pedaling style, it leaves an open hip angle at the top of the pedal stroke.

You see really closed hip angles in some of the women.

It's less common in the men, but this guy did pretty well today:

Dennis doesn't have a closed hip angle. His torso is angled up a bit, but he keeps his head tucked down most of the time.

Here is an older shot where his knee is as high as it goes. Not tight at all. He could run 190s and still be fine...;)

Would you say that in general the women are riding proportionally longer cranks for their height/inseam/torso lengths? 170 cranks on a 165cm body vs 175 cranks on a 180cm body? I don't really see 175 cm cranks being long on a 180 cm body. To me, being 168cm and able to ride all crank lengths from 165mm up to 175mm comfortably in the aero position, 175m on a 180 cm body looks "short enough'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the one hand, women are generally using equipment (from helmets down) that was designed for a (larger) man. Not always, but generally.

On the other hand, women can usually adopt a much longer (almost mini-superman) position within the UCI rules because those rules, although strict, were again created with a larger person in mind.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just looked up some info about Emma Pooley. Simply because she's a recognizable face to me from GCN show, as it relates to the ladies photos above.

Most stuff online says she had a 10 mile TT of around 5.5w/kg output. She weighs about 105 lbs. So, let's call it 48 kg. 48 * 5.5 = 264 watts.

Even at 50 kg, that's 300 watts.

A lot less frontal area than a 70 kg dude, but still. I'd imagine that an entire 100 + watts over a TT would be a monstrous difference. I'm sure the world TT champion in men's can probably do 420's to 440 watts in a 10 miler or less.

That's a good reason to add some priority to power output.

Given the ladies are at that power level, I'd think the aero versus power output style to lean more towards the aero side of things.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Off topic as to Rohan Dennis - and also didn't want to ask in the MTM topic but several people riding a P5 which I thought was not UCI legal because of the 3:1 rule I thought. Is that rule gone? Just wondering if that makes my old P2 legal for time trials under USAC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's an extremely good joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Just wondering if that makes my old P2 legal for time trials under USAC.

What Cat are you in?

I'm a lowly Cat 5. I once emailed them about some equipment questions like wheels and bikes for lower level folks (does it have to have the UCI sticker, for example).

The short answer was that unless you've bought a modern tri-specific model with the obvious fairings, bento box fairings, seat storage fairings...... you're good.

Same on the "uci approved wheels". You're good with ebay wheels as long as you're not trying to run discs in a road race or something.

I got the impression from the answer that the scrutiny increases the higher you go.

In other words, don't show up on a P5X or Ventum, and you likely will be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cat 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Cat 3
In the US, at nationals the last few years they don't jig and haven't called anyone riding a Shiv Tri or P5-6 (or Tri Speed Concept) So I wouldn't worry about road stuff. They usually send out an update before nats on what they're going to check each year. Anything below that is pretty much anything goes.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Sep 27, 18 6:12
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
trentnix wrote:

This isn't a statement about the position or equipment of the rider in question: many championships have been won on inferior equipment and inferior positions. And that a rider has great success doesn't mean there aren't opportunities for additional improvement.

I accept your points in general, though I'm somewhat skeptical of short cranks.

And you're right about the above, generally speaking. But as a student of pure TT, there are few who take the craft to the extreme of Dennis Rohan. He is not the genetic superstar who can just blow people away with sheer power on any old equipment. He is the marginally talented guy (for a World Tour cyclist) who scrapes every last inch of the barrel so out of 10 tries he can shock the world once or twice.

surely you jest, and this really isn't that big of a shocker. Kiriyenka winning it at Richmond; that's a shocker (though that isn't even that big of a shocker); ditto for the guys finishing on the podium in that race (I forgot who they are); I think a FDJ rider and someone else)

Dennis does well in anything up to medium mountains and has been a top 5 time trialist for the past five years. He's 2 standard deviations right of marginally talented at the WT level
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Off topic as to Rohan Dennis - and also didn't want to ask in the MTM topic but several people riding a P5 which I thought was not UCI legal because of the 3:1 rule I thought. Is that rule gone? Just wondering if that makes my old P2 legal for time trials under USAC.

P5-3 was always legal. The old P2 is illegal because of the seatpost only.

But no one will check unless you are at nationals or going for a record, and if I was the official checking bikes, I'd still give you a pass.
Last edited by: rruff: Sep 27, 18 8:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Would you say that in general the women are riding proportionally longer cranks for their height/inseam/torso lengths?

Yes, because that's what they're used to. And I doubt it's hurting anything in most cases. Emma Pooley rode short cranks for awhile (~150mm?). She won the 2010 World's TT on them, spinning like crazy.

IMO the place where short cranks feel annoying is climbs. I don't mind them in TTs, but climbing they always felt like I wasn't using my leg muscles effectively. In TTs I wasn't able to increase power or improve aero with them, so I went back to normal length.

If you have some restrictions that make turning normal cranks in your optimal aero position uncomfortable (or have knee or hip issues), then trying shorter is a good idea. Otherwise there probably isn't much if anything to gain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
Bianchi928 wrote:
That would be Rohan Dennis.

He was so fast his first name had to settle for 2nd place.... (I'll show myself out....) :)

You should post more! Love your videos...
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomdefietsbom wrote:
rruff wrote:

this guy did pretty well today:

Just quoted this to add that this guy (Victor Campenaerts) used to be a triathlete, and is a regular at the Belgian beermile championship each year due to this background. He's also part of a very local running club which includes the duathlon world champ of 2016 (Seppe Odeyn, also doing Ironman since a few years getting a few top-10s) and Pieter Heemeryck (who ended up 5th at 70.3 WC recently). I wanted to add it to the post about MTM but did not want to take away from the well deserved glory there.

So what you're really saying, is that as a former triathlete, there's a chance (good chance?) that he's developed that position with the help of this forum? Maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet he has done a lot of testing to arrive at that position...
Quote Reply

Prev Next