Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [LynchDeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LynchDeez wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Then you would have given him very poor advice.

Super glad to have you actively participating on these boards Jim! You really bring a ton of valuable information to discussions!

He's provided plenty of valuable information. Maybe not in that single reply, but one does tend to get tired of typing the same thing over and over, only to have it ignored. You, on the other hand, are mainly a source of misinformation.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Benv wrote:
Just wondering if that makes my old P2 legal for time trials under USAC.

What Cat are you in?

I'm a lowly Cat 5. I once emailed them about some equipment questions like wheels and bikes for lower level folks (does it have to have the UCI sticker, for example).

The short answer was that unless you've bought a modern tri-specific model with the obvious fairings, bento box fairings, seat storage fairings...... you're good.

Same on the "uci approved wheels". You're good with ebay wheels as long as you're not trying to run discs in a road race or something.

I got the impression from the answer that the scrutiny increases the higher you go.

In other words, don't show up on a P5X or Ventum, and you likely will be fine.

???

Category doesn't matter one bit. For non-UCI races, which is most everything up to Nationals and record attempts, you can ride bike you want. Including P5X and Ventums. Both of those were ridden (very slowly) at my state's TT championship. P2s abound at any TT. Fairings need to be removed.

Disc brakes are 100% allowed in any sort of road race.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
LynchDeez wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Super glad to have you actively participating on these boards Jim! You really bring a ton of valuable information to discussions!

He's provided plenty of valuable information. Maybe not in that single reply, but one does tend to get tired of typing the same thing over and over, only to have it ignored. You, on the other hand, are mainly a source of misinformation.

Ahh... you're right again... sorry for all the misinformation... the key to getting more aerodynamic must be to do the opposite of what I said. So--according to you--a good place to start might be for him to scoot his seat back and sit higher up. That way, he'd look even less like other top time trialists.

Learning a lot from the two of you guys today! Can't thank you enough.

Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride 175 but then I'm 6'3" with 36" inseam. Was going to try 170 or maybe even 165 at the smallest, but then remembered I'd need to screw with my perfect fit and saddle position in particular. Doing nothing when the fit feels good seems like a good idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I bet he has done a lot of testing to arrive at that position...

If still talking about Campenaerts, then yes. Supposedly they tested whether shaved arms are faster (for him), if his moustache would be slower (again for him), ... He sure does look aero, and says that's his strength because power wise he is not as strong as some of the other top TT guys. Not sure if he got any info from here, but since he knows a few top triathletes/duathletes I would guess that's a nice topic when they train together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
LynchDeez wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

I'm probably a little prickly because this is the first time in 3 years one of my fit clients didn't win a Rainbow Jersey in any of the categories. Clearly, I'm all washed up now. I guess I still have a shot in the road races, but those are less satisfying personally. :-)

But, yeah, after awhile you get tired of seeing the same ol' crap spewed over and over again on these forums by people who really don't have enough information at their disposal to offer any sort of constructive observations, or any historical knowledge of these athletes. I can only slap my forehead so many times before I develop a hematoma.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
T-wrecks wrote:
LynchDeez wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

I'm probably a little prickly because this is the first time in 3 years one of my fit clients didn't win a Rainbow Jersey in any of the categories. Clearly, I'm all washed up now. I guess I still have a shot in the road races, but those are less satisfying personally. :-)

But, yeah, after awhile you get tired of seeing the same ol' crap spewed over and over again on these forums by people who really don't have enough information at their disposal to offer any sort of constructive observations, or any historical knowledge of these athletes. I can only slap my forehead so many times before I develop a hematoma.

Don't give up yet! Maybe try one more solid shot for the sake of all the ignorant plebs on this thread who haven't been graced by your boundless wisdom quite yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LynchDeez wrote:
Ahh... you're right again... sorry for all the misinformation... the key to getting more aerodynamic must be to do the opposite of what I said. So--according to you--a good place to start might be for him to scoot his seat back and sit higher up. That way, he'd look even less like other top time trialists.

So the guy who convincingly proved himself to be the fastest TTer in the world yesterday, needs advice on how to improve?

Rather he is at the top of the list of people who don't need to change a damn thing...

Granted he doesn't look optimally aero to my eye either, but considering reality I figure it's my eye that needs recalibrating;) There are other good pro riders who have a similar posture. Tony Martin is close, especially since he raised his hands. Dowsett, Cummings, Patrick Bevin, come to mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [skid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skid wrote:
Longer cranks provide the opportunity for more leverage = more power.
Hi Skid:
Could you provide any scientific support for this claim? If there is any, I've missed it and would like to know about it.
Thanks,
Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LynchDeez wrote:
Don't give up yet! Maybe try one more solid shot for the sake of all the ignorant plebs on this thread who haven't been graced by your boundless wisdom quite yet?

You might as well give up, Jim is not going to take your bait.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Most stuff online says she had a 10 mile TT of around 5.5w/kg output. She weighs about 105 lbs. So, let's call it 48 kg. 48 * 5.5 = 264 watts.

Even at 50 kg, that's 300 watts.

26th in Mens race, former dual Olympic rowing gold medalist Hamish Bond: "438W for 30km to the bottom of climb 456W up the climb 433NP for the race @ 81kg "(5.3W/kg NP)

https://www.instagram.com/...b_button_share_sheet

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: Sep 27, 18 16:10
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nbrowne1 wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Most stuff online says she had a 10 mile TT of around 5.5w/kg output. She weighs about 105 lbs. So, let's call it 48 kg. 48 * 5.5 = 264 watts.

Even at 50 kg, that's 300 watts.

26th in Mens race, former dual Olympic rowing gold medalist Hamish Bond: "438W for 30km to the bottom of climb 456W up the climb 433NP for the race @ 81kg "(5.3W/kg NP)

https://www.instagram.com/...b_button_share_sheet

So MOP on slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
So MOP on slowtwitch.

Definitely, we're all ex Olympians and compete at the world champs in our secondary sport... lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamish_Bond

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: Sep 27, 18 16:46
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
LynchDeez wrote:

That's a real shame. Here's hoping that someone can "bait" him into doing something other than sneering and bragging in a future thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skid wrote:
Longer cranks provide the opportunity for more leverage = more power. My view on the shorter cranks phenomenon that has been embraced by our sport over the last 10 or so years is that it will die a quick death like Vibram footwear, racing in compression sleeves, extremely low positions on the bike, ceramic bearings ....... So much of what makes the Tri world an opportunity to make money off of people reaching for easy speed will be found out. The dude is the best TT-er in the world. Why not ask why he's the fastest ? Cheers from NZ, Scott

No, longer cranks provide the opportunity for more torque (r x F) Torque does not equal more power.
How many times can you pick up a full can of beer? A 6 pack? A keg? A truck?

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If RPM is equal how can more torque NOT equal more power?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Because the force is largely linear and velocity is angular.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
. I'm sure the world TT champion in men's can probably do 420's to 440 watts in a 10 miler or less.
That's a good reason to add some priority to power output.
Given the ladies are at that power level, I'd think the aero versus power output style to lean more towards the aero side of things.

420-440? Pros you've never heard of can do ~500w for 10mi.
https://www.strava.com/.../1576730635/analysis
-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LynchDeez wrote:
refthimos wrote:
LynchDeez wrote:

That's a real shame. Here's hoping that someone can "bait" him into doing something other than sneering and bragging in a future thread.

Now I don't particularly know who either of you are, but are you seriously surprised and upset that someone said you're full of crap for critiquing the aerodynamics of ANY TTer from a high budget WT team, let alone the world champion based on eyeballing some photos/footage? I don't even need to know cda stands for to think that's pretty silly. If that was enough to find a good position I'm sure everyone would save a hell of a lot of money and time in wind tunnels and tracks and just throw it out there to internet for feedback. I'm sure bike manufacturers would also all have equally quick frames infinite savings.

I've got no problems with people trying to work out why it's working for him, but obviously the testing has been done, and he tests fast. Trying to say everyone else is wrong is folly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

Why would rpm be equal?
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [kriss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kriss wrote:
LynchDeez wrote:
refthimos wrote:
LynchDeez wrote:

Now I don't particularly know who either of you are, but are you seriously surprised and upset that someone said you're full of crap for critiquing the aerodynamics of ANY TTer from a high budget WT team, let alone the world champion based on eyeballing some photos/footage? I don't even need to know cda stands for to think that's pretty silly. If that was enough to find a good position I'm sure everyone would save a hell of a lot of money and time in wind tunnels and tracks and just throw it out there to internet for feedback. I'm sure bike manufacturers would also all have equally quick frames infinite savings.

I've got no problems with people trying to work out why it's working for him, but obviously the testing has been done, and he tests fast. Trying to say everyone else is wrong is folly.

Wow... you really turned me around... man oh man... all those indisputable facts of yours... And using a word like "folly"?!?! Jeez... you know an argument is killer when it's swinging around words that haven't really been prominent since the early 1800's... what's someone like me supposed to do? My very soul has been split into equal parts of pain and ... I dunno... more pain. If only I'd spent some time thinking about this stuff before I told everyone they were wrong and I had all the secrets to going fast?!!?

Let's make sure we get my moment of shame up there for posterity:

LynchDeez wrote:

Hmm... I don't necessarily think that just because he had a dominant ride that there's no way that he couldn't have been even faster in another scenario, or that winning a world championship means he exercised INFALLIBLE judgement with his setup, but even if he did, speculating on position changes tends to be fun and interesting, so...

If he was a person who posted pictures of himself on slowtwitch and asked for help in eeking out another aero gain, I'd probably tell him to try to scoot his seat forward a little bit and then pull out a spacer or two to get a little bit lower. That certainly seems like it would make his position look a little bit more like Dumoulin's and Martin's old position (at his peak). If he asked you for hints on what you thought could get him a bit more aero, what would you tell him? I imagine that with all the data you've collected you have much better instincts and insights than I do.

Look at the audacity there?!!? The confidence?!?! The refusal to listen to reason?!!? I need YOUR help kriss... how do I make amends for my horrible overreach here?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pretty easy.... stop posting

This is adding 0 value
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [kriss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kriss wrote:
It's pretty easy.... stop posting

This is adding 0 value

I can't leave you with "0 value" after you've given me such a carefully considered kindness! I'll think it over and see if I can't come up with something that expresses the true extent of my profound sorrow.

Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just try to pry a big, heavy rock off the ground with a 6-inch plank. Cavemen figured out how to produce more force by using a longer lever. What part of this is hard to understand? Try riding with 100mm cranks some time. Or 50mm cranks. There is probably an optimal crank length for each rider and my guess is the Rohan Dennis knows which crank length suits him best. Cheers from NZ, Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By that rationale we should be on 300mm cranks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next