Prev Next
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [LynchDeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, you can write great Rick Sanchez style monologues and GIFs of chocolate fountains (what's up with that?) but if you want aero advice from the guy responsible for more rainbow jerseys on this forum than the rest of us combined, I suggest you head over to:

http://www.ero-sports.com/2018/index.php/book-an-appointment

And book yourself an appointment. $275 for the fit, with advice from the best in the business, seems like a steal. Or, you know, starting from $599 you can book some aero testing, which is what Rohan Dennis does multiple times a season. Do you recognise this team kit?

You game armchair fit advice to the newly-crowned World Champion in the discipline. An expert in aero testing told you the advice might be wrong. Now you're just trying to insult everyone into... what exactly? Free aero tips for Dennis' fit, who isn't reading this forum (and sure as hell won't change equipment without another tunnel/velodrome test)?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't believe so few got the joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I expect a lot from Rohan tbh, he is a guy with a plan and so far he can execute it to the point!
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [skid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Torque is not power. Can you cite any science showing that longer cranks = more power?
Really want to know if its out there!

skid wrote:
Just try to pry a big, heavy rock off the ground with a 6-inch plank. Cavemen figured out how to produce more force by using a longer lever. What part of this is hard to understand? Try riding with 100mm cranks some time. Or 50mm cranks. There is probably an optimal crank length for each rider and my guess is the Rohan Dennis knows which crank length suits him best. Cheers from NZ, Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shame a garbage poster has hijacked an interesting thread. But it does show why so many dumb ideas never seem to fully die.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is actually a really good opportunity for me. I'm presenting at ISCO in Munster Germany next month on Crank Length and Aerodynamics. Normally I just present data showing that changing crank length doesn't influence efficiency or power. That's convincing to most people but some really cling to their beliefs in traditional crank lengths. In the past I have just let them believe what they want to believe but this time I want to explore all the simplistic rationales, like prying up a rock, and explain why that doesn't influence cycling efficiency or power. If Skid will share more of his thoughts, that will help me debunk them for the presentation.
Cheers,
Jim

elf6c wrote:
Shame a garbage poster has hijacked an interesting thread. But it does show why so many dumb ideas never seem to fully die.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
I'm presenting at ISCO in Munster Germany next month on Crank Length and Aerodynamics.

Awesome! Have you done a new study (with WT and ergo testing) or is this more an analysis of testing that was previously presented? At any rate can you give us a teaser?
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Awesome! Have you done a new study (with WT and ergo testing) or is this more an analysis of testing that was previously presented? At any rate can you give us a teaser?

I'll be combining data from my lab on crank length with wind tunnel data shared by a few heavy hitters in aero testing. Here is the current draft of my abstract:

This presentation will focus first on crank length and then on aerodynamics. Research has consistently shown that crank length, across a wide range (145-195mm), does not influence maximal sprint power or efficiency during submaximal cycling. I will present data from several studies from my lab and discuss the underlying muscle physiology and biomechanics to help explain this somewhat controversial notion. Because crank length does not influence maximal or submaximal power, it can become an integrated element of overall bike fit, without concern for compromising performance. Perhaps the most useful application of crank length for bike fitting is in the area of aerodynamics where shorter cranks can open up the hip angle with a low torso position.
In the second portion we will address the factors that most influence aerodynamic drag and explore how aerodynamic drag influences cycling performance. We will begin with wind tunnel data to give realistic ranges of benefits for body position, skin suits, wheels, frames, and other details. We will then explore a number of scenarios using a validated model: Does aerodynamics matter for slower riders? How does drafting affect aerodynamic drag? Does aerodynamic drag matter when climbing? Finally we will address optimizing performance when faced with a “power vs. aero tradeoff”.
Last edited by: Bio_McGeek: Sep 28, 18 10:32
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:

<opens popcorn>
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love these threads. Guy blows away the world in the TT and we all jump on him for using too long of cranks and not very aero looking position. He is a pro and I would guess he has been tunnel and power tested a couple more times than the average Slowtwitcher. Then Skid has some tongue in cheek remarks that get blasted.

Me thinks Skid has made a bike go pretty fast a couple of times. Last time I saw him in person was twenty something years ago. Listening to his tires going around the corner I was standing at, made way more strained sounds than mine ever did and did any other pro in the field that day. Made me think he may be going faster thru my corner than the others.He also rode about 2 min faster on the bike split.
Skid did have a point on the leverage thing. I am sure there is an optimal crank length for every one. I would bet the guy on the 40mm crank would have trouble putting out much power and the guy on the 500mm crank would have a hard time getting the pedals to go in circles. The total circle size difference between a 160mm and a 175mm crank is a whopping 1 1/4ish inches. That is not a large difference considering the average tri field has 4'10" to 6"6" body range in it.

I have never claimed to have much knowledge about anything, but I have seen a lot of folks run, swim, bike, paddle, row and climb like monkeys that seem to defy what seems to be a logical sense. My take on Mr. Rohan is that if you get to wear the stripes on your sleeve in the Worlds TT, you gots to be doing something more right than wrong with the power, aero equasion.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Tongue-in-cheek"? More like promulgating the same old wive's tales.

Next he will be telling everyone that heart rate is a superior measure of exercise intensity than power output. Oh, wait...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do get it that you have studied this concept to a degree that gives you great insight into how to set up a good TT position. I understand! What I'm saying about Rohan Dennis is that he's found the position and crank length that works best for him, or very, very close to it. A couple of things to keep in mind when looking at why he rides in the position he does and why he uses the crank length he does: 1) he's the best TT-er in the world, 2) a pro with great advice from professional advisors who help pro's become better, 3) has come from extensive track background including attempting the hour record, 4) rides his bike about 500-1,000km/week so is used to certain positions more than others, 4) had a bloody tough hill to go up in that world champs TT (so he was not stuck in one position like in the lab).

But my basic idea here is we all should give the guy credit for knowing how to go fast on a TT bike. I think we can agree on that? correct?

And to save me time typing further on here - if Andrew Coggan thinks I'm just furthering "old wives tales" my reply is that Dennis is the current world TT champ, not an "old wife". He's one if the fastest people to ever ride a TT bike. We should be asking what he's doing right!, not trying to figure out what he's doing wrong. I have read Coggan's books a few times, and loved it, but I don't have anything to sell. I do love this forum! And only hop on here when I feel the need to add some input to help all the people who come here looking for information and are in-undated with info/opinions that make them doubt everything about how they go about this sport and want to go out and change everything. Cheers, Scott
Last edited by: skid: Sep 28, 18 11:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skid wrote:
Iif Andrew Coggan thinks I'm just furthering "old wives tales" my reply is that Dennis is the current world TT champ

I was talking about your arguments, not anything about Dennis.

However, speaking of Dennis, he looks quite aero to me, even in the pictures from the race (vs. wind tunnel). In particular, despite the apparent height of his shoulders relative to his hips:

1) he is able to keep his head from sticking up higher than his back; and

2) the front of his chest is essentially parallel to the ground, avoiding the creation of a drag-inducing "cup".

(Hat tip to Jim Martin for the latter key checkpoint.)
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Sep 28, 18 11:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the analogy of taking lug nuts off with a small wrench vs long wrench or (using a 'cheater' bar). OR putting the lug nuts back on for that matter. You have MORE control of the power if you will, with a longer wrench.

I understand power is the same as long as your not 'at maximinum power' etc, but they're are times where your vasilating in those high zones.
Last edited by: thatzone: Sep 28, 18 12:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s quite a nice analogy,

My experience of using short cranks (155) I struggled to find the time to apply the power in aero, it was like the arc was too small. I was fine sat up or on the turbo sat up.
I found my quads fatigued very very fast.
I learned to use them and adapted over the year, but then tried 165s in aero on the road and it was incredible. They ‘felt’ so much better, power could be evenly applied unlike the 155.

I then went for aero testing. Here’s what I found.

Without changing the front end, lowering the saddle to compensate for the length.

155 CdA - 0.23
165 CdA - 0.21
170 CdA (felt hip pinch) 0.21

Pretty large drop.

Then we tried dropping the front end with the 155.
CdA went up to 0.24!

Moral of the story.
Short cranks ‘can’ be less aero, particularly someone like me who is thin and long legged and arms, the longer cranks clearly filled in the gaps better so to speak, my knee came up higher and and was still tolerable.
Also short cranks need a higher saddle, this increases the vertical component of the legs which the wind sees, it also turns the quad into a big flat cylinder, not aero!

Moral 2.
Looking at pictures is only ever half of the story without seeing wind you cannot see flow.
Best example of this is -
Of people I have tested with or been part of testing 8 out of 10 (all the skinny tall ones) became more aero with a camelbak on their front. Sometimes that beer gut is working for you in terms of flow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly I walk in to ST unprepared for the level of assumed snarkiness. I never said he would have gone faster with shorter cranks nor did I question his aero position.
All I asked was if you have evidence that longer cranks are more powerful. If you do, I'd like to know about it. If its something you believe without scientific evidence that's fine, you can believe what you want to believe. I'm just looking for studies I might have missed.
EDIT: Its also helpful if I understand why you and others believe longer cranks = more power so I can help dispel those beliefs when I present at ISCO. I presented on crank length to a group of USA Cycling coaches at TTown. Most were really receptive but a few clung to similar cultural beliefs. I am currently using the arguments they made to help refine my talk in Munster. The more of that kind of thing I can address up front the better.

Cheers,
Jim

skid wrote:
I do get it that you have studied this concept to a degree that gives you great insight into how to set up a good TT position. I understand! What I'm saying about Rohan Dennis is that he's found the position and crank length that works best for him, or very, very close to it. A couple of things to keep in mind when looking at why he rides in the position he does and why he uses the crank length he does: 1) he's the best TT-er in the world, 2) a pro with great advice from professional advisors who help pro's become better, 3) has come from extensive track background including attempting the hour record, 4) rides his bike about 500-1,000km/week so is used to certain positions more than others, 4) had a bloody tough hill to go up in that world champs TT (so he was not stuck in one position like in the lab).
But my basic idea here is we all should give the guy credit for knowing how to go fast on a TT bike. I think we can agree on that? correct?

And to save me time typing further on here - if Andrew Coggan thinks I'm just furthering "old wives tales" my reply is that Dennis is the current world TT champ, not an "old wife". He's one if the fastest people to ever ride a TT bike. We should be asking what he's doing right!, not trying to figure out what he's doing wrong. I have read Coggan's books a few times, and loved it, but I don't have anything to sell. I do love this forum! And only hop on here when I feel the need to add some input to help all the people who come here looking for information and are in-undated with info/opinions that make them doubt everything about how they go about this sport and want to go out and change everything. Cheers, Scott
Last edited by: Bio_McGeek: Sep 28, 18 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
I mis understand power is the same as long as you're not 'at maximinum power'

Fixed.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Changing crank length and saddle height without moving the bars also changes your torso angle. IOW, you have too many things going on there for your results to be readily interpretible.

2) Shorter cranks do not increase the frontal area of the leg as you claim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
... If you do, I'd like to know about it. If its something you believe without scientific evidence that's fine, you can believe what you want to believe. I'm just looking for studies I might have missed.
EDIT: Its also helpful if I understand why you and others believe longer cranks = more power so I can help dispel those beliefs when I present at ISCO. I presented on crank length to a group of USA Cycling coaches at TTown. Most were really receptive but a few clung to similar cultural beliefs. I am currently using the arguments they made to help refine my talk in Munster. The more of that kind of thing I can address up front the better.
Cheers,
Jim

This is not a research study, but I've seen this page on the interwebs. Looking over the blog page might help you counter bike culture beliefs, at least those that are not supported by evidence. From the looks of it, it appears to be an interesting common-sense argument about crank length and power. That said, I am all for following the hard evidence (which is your dept), but I would be curious to know, do you see major oversights in the logic of any of the argument(s) on that web page?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that link. His logic is fine as far as it goes and would serve to establish testable hypotheses. He seems unaware that researchers have actually tested those hypotheses with experiments although in "narrower" ranges of only 120-220mm cranks. I'll read it over again carefully to see if I can use parts of it in my talk.
Cheers,
Jim
PS He mentions 300mm cranks. When I started my first study I had extensions drilled out to 245mm. With the 245mm cranks my thighs hit my chest so hard that I hurt my neck. Didn't have the test subjects try those.

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
This is not a research study, but I've seen this page on the interwebs. Looking over the blog page might help you counter bike culture beliefs, at least those that are not supported by evidence. From the looks of it, it appears to be an interesting common-sense argument about crank length and power. That said, I am all for following the hard evidence (which is your dept), but I would be curious to know, do you see major oversights in the logic of any of the argument(s) on that web page?
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

2) Shorter cranks do not increase the frontal area of the leg as you claim.

can you expand on this?
Are you saying that moving the upper leg more/less towards the horizontal position at TDC has no effect on frontal area during the pedalstroke? Or just that crank length isn't the cause.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Sep 28, 18 14:49
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Also short cranks need a higher saddle, this increases the vertical component of the legs which the wind sees, it also turns the quad into a big flat cylinder, not aero!

^
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is going on in this thread.... first they throw grenades at Jim@ERO and now this.

Cylinders.

rruff wrote:
TriByran wrote:

^

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Are you saying that moving the upper leg more/less towards the horizontal position at TDC has no effect on frontal area during the pedalstroke?

Any effect would be insignificant.
Quote Reply

Prev Next