Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What can I say, I am a reductionist by nature, who then trained under this guy:

https://www.cell.com/....W46kcqU5ij4.twitter

*Of course* I am going to insist on considering all of the underlying details/components, and not just the overall effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No real issue with my thigh hitting my torso, but the lack of full leg extension was definitely more fatiguing. My *perception* was that my sustainable power was compromised as much as my measured drag was reduced, such my power:drag was essentially unchanged. I therefore did not pursue things any further.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Maurice, glad you found it helpful. Maybe Dan can make it a sticky.
Ha, I put a LOT of work into waterboy's thread. Saw it as a duty to refute each bit of nonsense and there was a LOT of nonsense. I should probably include that thread as community service for my next job evaluation!
Cheers,
Jim

mauricemaher wrote:
I think this is very much the sticking point. Shortening velocity is usually mentioned on here, but rarely explained.
That was a very concise and descriptive summary for the laymen out here.
Hopefully this directs the conversation away from “you’re an idiot” “no you’re an idiot” that pretty much derails most of the good threads on ST.
On a side note I was I really did like the H2Ofun crank thread....you just had to wade through the mess a bit. There were some really great posts....if you were willing to hold your nose and skip the others.
Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
Thanks Maurice, glad you found it helpful. Maybe Dan can make it a sticky.
Ha, I put a LOT of work into waterboy's thread. Saw it as a duty to refute each bit of nonsense and there was a LOT of nonsense. I should probably include that thread as community service for my next job evaluation!
Cheers,
Jim

mauricemaher wrote:
I think this is very much the sticking point. Shortening velocity is usually mentioned on here, but rarely explained.
That was a very concise and descriptive summary for the laymen out here.
Hopefully this directs the conversation away from “you’re an idiot” “no you’re an idiot” that pretty much derails most of the good threads on ST.
On a side note I was I really did like the H2Ofun crank thread....you just had to wade through the mess a bit. There were some really great posts....if you were willing to hold your nose and skip the others.
Cheers,
Maurice

I deal with electrical and mechanical systems at work if you need a larger output or torque then you simply attempt to install something larger.

Having said that we have a very well understood mechanical system (the bicycle drive train) but a metabolic input, this is (variable and unique) READ not a motor with predictable inputs, but also perhaps homogeneous a cross a large spectrum of user groups....world class tters, triathletes, hipsters, and people who have to use bikes to generate the basic needs of life.

Any ways, dan talks a lot about fit etc and puts out some great stuff.

A front pager about shortening velocity and why it may or may not matter to fit would be very interesting.

2c
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bio_McGeek wrote:
He uses a highly complex CFD model and this model predicts that drag reductions due to more horizontal torso angle outweigh increased drag due to increases in leg extension. His model has been confirmed with wind tunnel testing.

Thanks Jim, good info!

I would expect this to be highly variable, depending on the rider's starting posture. If the torso is already horizontal (with regular cranks) and the helmet no higher than than the back, then there is probably nothing to be gained, and a potential loss from the leg extension. Even then judging from Rohan Dennis's performance, an upward titled torso might be aerodynamically very good anyway.

It would be interesting to see what bodies and positions he has modeled and tested.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
No real issue with my thigh hitting my torso, but the lack of full leg extension was definitely more fatiguing. My *perception* was that my sustainable power was compromised as much as my measured drag was reduced, such my power:drag was essentially unchanged. I therefore did not pursue things any further.

How about after a year of adaptation... ;)

I had a similar experience when I tried reducing saddle height, and I didn't pursue it either. But my starting point was already lower than most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The key with this though is whether you would go the same speed but save more actual energy output in that position, making it more plausible for long course Tri.

I think that’s a mistake many make for a long course position, they focus on power when aero would mean greater energy savings even if speed was equal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello STers:
I just want to bump this up to solicit other comments about how well this helps explain why a shorter lever doesn't mean less power or even torque. Working on that talk now and would like to be as clear as possible. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to respond on the forum. Your comments will help me!
Cheers,
Jim

Bio_McGeek wrote:
Benv wrote:
Well the obvious reasoning I was taught as a kid was that torque = radius (i.e. crank length) x force and that power = torque x velocity (~cadence). A longer crank would allow you to apply more torque for a given cadence.I guess the doubt comes if one can truly keep the same cadence despite the increased circumference of the pedals and if maybe one offsets the other? Curious to understand.

Thanks Benv. Those things you were taught as a kid are true but they're not the whole story. They don't include how muscles produce force or how muscular force is transferred across joints.
First, for any specific cadence, the pedal moves faster on a longer crank than a shorter crank. Those differences in pedal speed cause the muscle to shorten at different rates while producing force. In the muscle force-velocity figure below please note that concentric force (muscle shortening) decreases with increasing velocity. This means that the higher pedal speed produced by a longer crank reduces your muscles' ability to produce force compared to a shorter crank. So yes, a longer lever would produce more torque for the same force, but the force will not be the same. It will be reduced due to increased muscle shortening velocity. So far so good?
Second factor has to do with leg extension. You probably know that you can leg press more weight if you set up the machine so that you start with your leg nearly fully extended compared with highly flexed. You can do a partial squat with more weight than a deep squat. Agreed? This is because of what is called "biomechanical gear ratio"; the ratio of the movement of the end of the limb to movement of the muscle. Most people adjust their seat height so that they maintain the same leg extension at the bottom of the pedal stroke. This results in the leg being more extended throughout the rest of the cycle and thus your leg is "stronger".
To summarize, your muscles produce more force when shortening slower and your whole leg produces more force when its more extended. These increases in muscle force minimize or eliminate the differences in lever arm. Does this make sense? Thanks again for giving me this opportunity to test my ability to clarify.

Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an FYI: the units on your axes are incorrect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They sure are! That's what I get for linking to a figure on the internet. Will make my own figures for the slides.

Andrew Coggan wrote:
Just an FYI: the units on your axes are incorrect.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He was so fast his first name had to settle for 2nd place.... (I'll show myself out....) :)"

BEST.SLOWTWITCH.POST.EVER!!!!!!!

LOVE IT!!
Last edited by: PennBen: Oct 3, 18 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [PennBen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PennBen wrote:
"He was so fast his first name had to settle for 2nd place.... (I'll show myself out....) :)"

BEST.SLOWTWITCH.POST.EVER!!!!!!!

LOVE IT!!

hahah, no. I've read some treads on here that are truly life changing. Some not in a good way. ;)

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a ride by Rohan! If you're keen to know who his Coach is, that would be Neal Henderson of APEX Coaching. He also happens to be the guy who designs The Sufferfest workouts and training plans and is behind our 4DP methodology. You can learn more about him here: https://thesufferfest.com/...behind-the-suffering

I'll have a chat with him and see if I can't get him to chime in on this thread.

David McQuillen
Founder & CEO of The Sufferfest
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was (am) thinking that helping Rohan to set the UCI Hour world record and winning world championships and other TTs and TTTs was the goal.

PS - You do know that he's spent a good deal of time in the wind tunnel as well as testing on the road and velodrome to come up with his current position, right? And do you know that Rohan's TT palmares prior to winning this year's world championships is also pretty solid?

PPS - How good is your eye at detecting CdA? We don't use our eyes - we make measurements. And we also look at power production in different positions. We also evaluate the sustainability of power output in given positions to some up with the fastest overall position.

Neal Henderson

Sport Science Coach Guy
Owner, APEX Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [The Sufferfest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sufferfest wrote:
Neal Henderson of APEX Coaching. He also happens to be the guy who designs The Sufferfest workouts and training plans and is behind our 4DP methodology.

No, he's not. 4DP is a straight rip-off of the power profiling approach I developed in the early 2000s.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Oct 11, 18 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr Coggan, please dont start up the whole "I invented the wheel and now everyone who makes a new car is stealing form me!"

No one is arguing that you were a pioneer in using power meters as a training tool.

However, the power profiling you describe your own book on how to train with power is different. Only slightly different, but different none the less.

What you 100% have not done is develop any sort of algorithm that utilizes someones power profile to generate specific workout targets. And NO, this is not what WKO4 does. WKO4 gives you suggestions, but it does not automatically alter workouts for you.

Let me ask you this: if it is all "your idea" and no one is able to improve upon it, please list the number of world championships you have coached people to. If you truly believe that innovation stopped the second your pen left the paper, then you have let your ego take over what was once a fantastic scientific mind.

I will not be responding to anything else in this thread, based on my past readings of forums, Dr Coggan NEVER concedes a point.

And I have made mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [BoCoLoCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BoCoLoCo wrote:
...please list the number of world championships you have coached people to.

Although you were asking someone else, I recently asked this same question to Neal Henderson and thought you might be interested in the answer. Actually, when I asked, he wasn't exactly sure (he's quite a humble guy) and so he had to go and tally it up and get back to me with the number....

47 World Championships

David McQuillen
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [apexcoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neal, welcome to the bullring. (Or is it the circus?)

I for one would love to hear the development story of Rohan's setup, if that's something you're willing or able to divulge.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [apexcoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 ... anything you'd like to share regarding Rohan Dennis's journey to his current setup would be most welcome!

I'll admit that I wouldn't have thought his position was very aero either. But obviously it is. He isn't someone like an Indurain or Cancellara who can rely on raw power. There are a few others pros who look similar. Torso angled up a bit, but head down with a good shrug and turtle.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that Neal has just got on a plane for a well-deserved weekend of vacation, so not sure he'll reply soon. In the meantime, you guys might like this podcast interview with him in which he talks about some of the techniques he uses with his elite athletes (as well as the story of the most he ever suffered himself): https://soundcloud.com/...-ep-1-neal-henderson

David McQuillen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
No, he's not.

Yes he is.

David McQuillen
Last edited by: The Sufferfest: Oct 12, 18 4:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe both sides can make a table with three columns showing similarities and differences between 4DP and the power profiling approach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hello

my grain of salt... sorry for english mistakes, I'm french

I'm not a coach, neither physiologist or biomechanics PHD. No financial interest in the discussion.
But some experience in innovation.

Innovation does not always (most time it doesn't) include conceptual advance or new technology.

Looking at 4DP, it is clearly, in my view, based on the conceptual work of Andrew Coggan, Hunter Allen work, i.e. all their work around power meter training, power profiles, ....

In France, Fred Grappe is buildng on this also.

This does not mean that 4DP and Sufferfest have no value. 4DP and Sufferfest can bring some innovation through apps, features, giving better access and more day to day usability to the conceptual value in power profiling conceptual basis.

You call this "Most sophisticated training app in the world". It might be. Because of your work, and also because it reuse solid initial work by Andrew Coggan, Hunter Allen, ...

The initial iPhone was great. But all the technology was existing before. Created by other peoples. All this technology was "simply" presented differently. Wich was true innovation.
Quote Reply
Re: Dennis Rohan position & 175 cranks [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I pointed out before, there are significant no differences. All Neal/Sufferfest have done is taken my power profiling approach and repackage it as '4DP'.*

They (and apparently others) seem to think that approach is novel only because they mistakenly treated my original training levels as zones, i.e., as prescriptive, not descriptive. This, despite that admonished people since day 1 (i.e., 2001) not to do so.

*As I have always pointed out, power profiling was inspired by the numerous tables out there that attempt to equate running performance over various distances (e.g., Daniel's VDOT system). Aside from being based on power instead of pace, the primary difference here is that power profiling focuses specifically on performance across just four durations, reflective of the underlying physiology, versus simply attempting to equate or predict performance across all durations/distances. As well, power profiling is, as the name implies, a tool for describing or classifying an athlete (e.g., "sprinter")**, as well as a way of providing benchmarks that can be used to structure workouts.

**15 or so years after coming up with power profiling, it was pointed out to me that Ernie Maglishio (sp?) had proposed a similar approach around the same for "profiling" swimmers. As I understand it, however, he only divided athletes into two camps, i.e. sprint vs. endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
As well, power profiling is, as the name implies, a tool for describing or classifying an athlete (e.g., "sprinter")**, as well as a way of
providing benchmarks that can be used to structure workouts.

So it is, to some extent, prescriptive, isn't it?

Anyway, what exactly are you trying to achieve here? What's the end goal? We've had this argument on here before and I do believe 4DP is based on your work, I think most folks do. What then? Do you want them to mention you somewhere on their website and acknowledge your contribution to the project? Do you want share of their profits? Or are you arguing for the sake of arguing?
Quote Reply

Prev Next