Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the little hijack.
Is there a specific rule in the ironman rule book that an agegroup athlete may not receive information about his/her place during the race? I'm reading various blogs of Kona qualifiers in a race which had a rolling start. Also saw coaching providing place and pacing information to athletes on the course.
I think I remember it being mentioned in the race briefing, but I don't read an explicit rule about it in the athlete guide or amongst the rules on the ironman website. Only that one cannot run with an athlete, which these coaches didn't really do, they ran off the course, shouting to the athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is mildly infuriating.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I think the big takeaway is that this was VERY unusual and a really cool thing to happen. //

Actually it is not unusual at all. Just about every pro race has people on bikes following the leader(s). It has been going on since the beginning of time(well triathlon time anyway) Some of those groups at Nice were incredible too, maybe like a 100+ riders following Mark Allen and Simon Lessing, or the couple others that took Mark to the finish..

And after all those races and all those years, no one has gotten run over by a bike, or collapsed and gotten hit, or whatever scenario some of you keep thinking up about safety. As far as I know everyone has survived the lead group peloton watching the front of the race. And I think Callum was probably making his comments tongue in cheek, you all know he is a comedian, right???

Wrong, I have a friend in the mid 90's who was hit by a motorcycle near the finish line at Kona which was following the pros. He was a top AG and he DNF'd because of it.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think telling an athlete what place they are in as they run by has ever been interpreted as outside assistance.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong, I have a friend in the mid 90's who was hit by a motorcycle //

We are talking about bicycles here, not motorcycles. Sorry about your friend, that sucks...
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite part of that photo was that people were riding without helmets and taking photos. The world is a much better place when this is not viewed as extraordinary. Unless of course they were taking vertical video which is the worst.

I also wanted to clarify that under USA Triathlon rules (I don’t have WTC rule book handy at the moment) the “receipt of information regarding the progress, split times, or location of other competitors on the race course shall not be considered the acceptance of unauthorized assistance. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.”
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just another way triathlon is viewed as an eleteist, insider, and not really welcoming sport. The winners, leaders, fastest, and good ole boys get to do one thing while the pack fodder who are the bulk of the field are expected to do another. It’s not too many rules, it’s an uneven and un level playing field of who is expected to follow them.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Slowman wrote:

my takeaway from this thread: you can't pace someone from behind; and if those in the race, at the race, don't see a problem with it i don't see why those of us hundreds or thousands of miles away should have a problem. triathlon began as a sport with almost no rules. the more rules it got, the less fun it became. and rudy is right. in 1989 i was one of those guys on the bike, maybe 40 or 50 of us, maybe more, riding behind mark and dave on the queen q, witnessing history.

So wife can follow me on the bike and it not be considered pacing? I had no idea this was allowed, and I'm sure lots of other people didn't either. This could get very interesting.

We are talking about the lead of the professional race, not a random age group racer. Two very different things. We are talking about spectators following the leaders from behind, not about a relative/ wife following their husband. That would be considered pacing as per the rules, but having spectators follow the PRO lead from behind is different.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talking head wrote:
This is just another way triathlon is viewed as an eleteist, insider, and not really welcoming sport. The winners, leaders, fastest, and good ole boys get to do one thing while the pack fodder who are the bulk of the field are expected to do another. It’s not too many rules, it’s an uneven and un level playing field of who is expected to follow them.

I’ll see if I can get my mind right on this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
In Roth there was a rolling flotilla of spectators. It is super and definitely adds to the event! That si very different than a coach or family member actively pacing.

Thank you for some reason here! You are right
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
monty wrote:

No problem, I will give you the line. You have to be leading the pro race either in the mens or womens, and I mean in the lead. So there you go, you have your line, good luck...

Get them off the course. That shit is dangerous.

Damn, that is so dangerous, I can't even fathom doing something that dangerous. Like jumping off a cliff without a parachute, or doing a triple backflip on your motocross. Lol. Seriously, there was nothing dangerous about what was happening there.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just my 2 cents
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [rudyvonberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rudyvonberg wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Slowman wrote:

my takeaway from this thread: you can't pace someone from behind; and if those in the race, at the race, don't see a problem with it i don't see why those of us hundreds or thousands of miles away should have a problem. triathlon began as a sport with almost no rules. the more rules it got, the less fun it became. and rudy is right. in 1989 i was one of those guys on the bike, maybe 40 or 50 of us, maybe more, riding behind mark and dave on the queen q, witnessing history.

So wife can follow me on the bike and it not be considered pacing? I had no idea this was allowed, and I'm sure lots of other people didn't either. This could get very interesting.

We are talking about the lead of the professional race, not a random age group racer. Two very different things. We are talking about spectators following the leaders from behind, not about a relative/ wife following their husband. That would be considered pacing as per the rules, but having spectators follow the PRO lead from behind is different.

so the pro's wife or coach can't follow? only training buddies or random spectators? what about races that don't have a pro race? If I'm leading that can people follow me?
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
I have watched several events on the Ironman Now streaming. They cover mostly the leaders in the races and I have yet to see anything like this happening. And when you mix in the age groupers the pros leaders are often mingled in among a large number of other participants, especially on the run. I don't see how anything like this could ever be a common thing that will be a betterment to the sport, too much on course congestion.

In this specific run race course, it was two loops, and we were following the leaders for the last 5 miles of the race, we probably passed 6 athletes that entire time, very few AGers were on the course at that time. There was no "safety issue" or bothering other athletes during their race.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

What if I'm 2 minutes down on the leader and gaining (there's just as few other people around me as the leader). Why should the leader be the only one to benefit from people following? Are the people following allowed to talk to the runner at all? Give them split info?

If you were 2 mins down in this scenario, that peleton would have been an incentive for you to chase. You could ask Matt Chrabot, he had a solid target just ahead of him to chase. Plus, if he'd caught up to them, he could've passed by in stealth and taken them by surprise. I see what you're getting at, but in this case I think 3rd place didn't have a disadvantage.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [rudyvonberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rudyvonberg wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
monty wrote:

No problem, I will give you the line. You have to be leading the pro race either in the mens or womens, and I mean in the lead. So there you go, you have your line, good luck...

Damn, that is so dangerous, I can't even fathom doing something that dangerous. Like jumping off a cliff without a parachute, or doing a triple backflip on your motocross. Lol. Seriously, there was nothing dangerous about what was happening there.

10 dudes a few feet away on their bicycle behind you on their phones? Ok dude.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rudyvonberg wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I'm not necessarily against the spectators train behind the leaders, but obviously you know that most of the "spectators" were friends of the athletes. Not just random fans. So that's not the difference. We are definitely talking about allowing different rules for pros than for age groupers.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand and agree, but some are posting that this type of happening should be the norm, which is not possible under the current race structure.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
rudyvonberg wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
monty wrote:

10 dudes a few feet away on their bicycle behind you on their phones? Ok dude.

The static picture looks much worse than how it was in reality. We just snapped a quick pic and put our phone back in our pockets. Nothing to worry about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rudyvonberg wrote:
Please tell me this was supposed to be in pink
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
rudyvonberg wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I'm not necessarily against the spectators train behind the leaders, but obviously you know that most of the "spectators" were friends of the athletes. Not just random fans. So that's not the difference. We are definitely talking about allowing different rules for pros than for age groupers.

I agree, we are talking about "different rules" if you want to label it as rules (because I guess those rules don't really exist for PRO's yet in this case). In any sport, the professionals have it differently. Thousands of spectators, better stadiums, better pools, closed roads for cycling, something that doesn't happen for amateurs in all those sports. The comparison is made in triathlon only because it is one of the very few sports where PRO's and amateurs are on the same course at the same time. So I think that some rules should in fact be different, like it is in other professional sports. And having spectators follow leaders is something that I think should have different rules than for AG ers just because it helps our sport, it makes it more exciting and more accessible. Triathlon is known as an accessible sport in the sense that spectators don't have to pay for an entry ticket/ pass. Anyone can just go spectate a triathlon. Be a fan for free, and you can get very close to the PRO's. So for the good of triathlon, I think that having a "peloton" follow the leaders of the race is a good thing, and should not prohibited.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In what other adult hobby sport would the non pro be subject to (meaning enforcement would be the same) the same exact rules as the pro athlete in that same sport? Seems to me triathlon follows pretty much every other sport in this regard.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You make a good point. But I would say most “adult hobby sports” that include a pro division the rules are usually tougher on the pros than the “hobbyists”.

I’m glad others think the front of the race is so exciting they want to watch via bicycle. My wife thinks my back of the pack race is so exciting she would like to watch me via bicycle.

Why is one allowed and not the other?

I do think it’s telling that mostly everyone that feels this is okay on this thread appears to either be a pro, ex pro, or very front of the packer.

Hey, I get it, you guys/gals at the front are just better than the rest of us and you want an audience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To the contrary, I’m a local racer who would be MOPer at a big race. I don’t think (necessarily) the same exact rule enforcement should govern my race as the pros—and not just with respect to pacing. I’m sorry, it’s just different and (I think) you know it. I have an audience-other racers; no room for spectators on bikes where I race.

As to your wife’s interest level, You found a winner! My wife gave up attending races years ago and won’t even get out of bed to see the race, let alone have any desire to bike along side it.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 7, 18 14:29
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll agree there should be different rules.

And for the record my wife could care less about my racing :)

But for the pro dude above saying this is inclusive and good for tri, I just don’t buy it.

If he can follow his buds and snap pics, why can’t the rest of the field.

I know the internet has all but erased the line between official reporting/journalism and everyday people being reporters, but maybe only “official” reporters should be allowed on the course, not just bros riding along for the lolz
Quote Reply

Prev Next