Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [rudyvonberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rudyvonberg wrote:
arby wrote:
I have watched several events on the Ironman Now streaming. They cover mostly the leaders in the races and I have yet to see anything like this happening. And when you mix in the age groupers the pros leaders are often mingled in among a large number of other participants, especially on the run. I don't see how anything like this could ever be a common thing that will be a betterment to the sport, too much on course congestion.

In this specific run race course, it was two loops, and we were following the leaders for the last 5 miles of the race, we probably passed 6 athletes that entire time, very few AGers were on the course at that time. There was no "safety issue" or bothering other athletes during their race.

So, spectators can follow pros, but not age groupers, but it can't be a relative or a coach, and it can only happen on some courses, and you can't pace them?

Sounds good.
Last edited by: kiwi.: Aug 7, 18 15:06
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
rudyvonberg wrote:
arby wrote:
I have watched several events on the Ironman Now streaming. They cover mostly the leaders in the races and I have yet to see anything like this happening. And when you mix in the age groupers the pros leaders are often mingled in among a large number of other participants, especially on the run. I don't see how anything like this could ever be a common thing that will be a betterment to the sport, too much on course congestion.

In this specific run race course, it was two loops, and we were following the leaders for the last 5 miles of the race, we probably passed 6 athletes that entire time, very few AGers were on the course at that time. There was no "safety issue" or bothering other athletes during their race.

So, spectators can follow pros, but not age groupers, but it can't be a relative or a coach, and it can only happen on some courses, and you can't pace them?

Sounds good.

Yep, seems pretty clear to me
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [rudyvonberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Haven't even looked at the photos, but my 2 cents based on the comments. This won't be happening next year at the event :)

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rudyvonberg wrote:
kiwi. wrote:
rudyvonberg wrote:
arby wrote:

Sounds good.

Yep, seems pretty clear to me

Crystal clear. I was, however, wondering how the chasers are supposed to cleanly make their way through the 'gallery' in the event they want to make it a contest. Or maybe the order of finish is already set after the all important bike? After all this is slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To no one in particular.
I used to compete in 6-8 tris a year in the mid-late 2000s. I slowly got out of it as I just wasn’t having any fun racing. Still loved to swim, bike, and run just did not feel like racing. It was a bunch of money to compete on some cookie cutter course that was setup so the maximum amount of people could enter, finish, get a medal, and brag back home. The post race was typically tolerating most entrants complaints about the race and listening to how people had a bad race because they screwed up their taper or messed up their nutrition. I was just tired of not having any fun and it became too roady like(don’t blast me for that most will understand!)

I currently solely race mountain bikes and a few running races. No course is the same, no bitching, and afterwards people crack a cold beer and tell war stories about the race. It’s super fun and rewarding. I still swim in a masters program and hit the road frequently but I only do one triathlon a year, Savageman. It’s in my backyard and my friends and family use the backroads to see me at 4-5 places. My overweight brother even tells how bad I’m getting my ass kicked, guess that’s borderline rule breakage. This year I did a sprint tri and had a blast. I gave serious thought about getting a specific bike and getting back into the tri game. Then comes this thread. There are at least a dozen posts that illustrate exactly why I got out of racing triathlons. I don’t want any parts of splitting hairs with rules that were made for 1% of situations in 1% of races. I want to toe the line and race my guts out. Then crack a beer and talk about it with my fellow competitors. If a group of people happen to watch that unfold while riding along then I want them cracking beers and telling their side of it as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rudyvonberg wrote:
And having spectators follow leaders is something that I think should have different rules than for AG ers just because it helps our sport, it makes it more exciting and more accessible. Triathlon is known as an accessible sport in the sense that spectators don't have to pay for an entry ticket/ pass. Anyone can just go spectate a triathlon. Be a fan for free, and you can get very close to the PRO's. So for the good of triathlon, I think that having a "peloton" follow the leaders of the race is a good thing, and should not prohibited.

Now that you've been able to get up close the action do you think you'll be more likely to support and participate in triathlon in the future?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 7, 18 21:05
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [KENNBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KENNBR wrote:
Rudy Vonberg coming in off the top rope with a chair

This did not get nearly the love it deserves. Best reply in the thread.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about if some random kid ducked under the barrier and ran down the chute with Hoffman?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a domestique, was it hard going back to the team car, loading up on bottles and returning to the leader up front? Can you post your power file? /pink. c'mon, that was funny

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Aug 11, 18 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: How is this not a pacing/outside assistance violation? IM Boulder 70.3 Pro Race. [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you did Kona?

windschatten wrote:
rudyvonberg wrote:

I agree, we are talking about "different rules" if you want to label it as rules (because I guess those rules don't really exist for PRO's yet in this case). In any sport, the professionals have it differently. Thousands of spectators, better stadiums, better pools, closed roads for cycling, something that doesn't happen for amateurs in all those sports. The comparison is made in triathlon only because it is one of the very few sports where PRO's and amateurs are on the same course at the same time. So I think that some rules should in fact be different, like it is in other professional sports. And having spectators follow leaders is something that I think should have different rules than for AG ers just because it helps our sport, it makes it more exciting and more accessible. Triathlon is known as an accessible sport in the sense that spectators don't have to pay for an entry ticket/ pass. Anyone can just go spectate a triathlon. Be a fan for free, and you can get very close to the PRO's. So for the good of triathlon, I think that having a "peloton" follow the leaders of the race is a good thing, and should not prohibited.

Let me explain it to you in plain English:

I as an athlete in the same race as you give a flying shit about your Pro- cool experience (or that of your entourage) when it impacts my race the way it actually has on another occasion.
Just for some perspective:
I got taken down at WC in Hawaii by one of those coaches/spectators/pacers going the other way not looking while pacing a Pro in a race. Ran right into me.
Very cool experience.

So I know what I am talking about when I say pacing or following athletes on the course is a safety hazard and rules should be enforced. It is stupid if done by a spectator ignorant of the rules, and a super douche move if you know the rules and choose to ignore them (just because of personal perspective) .

Ever heard about IM Texas where they pulled Officials because too many private Scooters/cycles on the course?
And remember the ensuing carnage because of this? Very cool experience too.

Well, maybe it is time you guys get together and get your own races set up, that we AGs don't have to be part of?

Nah, no chance you could / would want to pull that off.
You barely would have anybody watching you except your coach, a friend and a couple fellow local Pro's who just got nothing better to do.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a golfer and triathlete, I didn't think anything could surpass the obnoxious nature of golf fans calling in penalties. Watching everyone in this thread argue with a pro who is basically saying "use common sense" might be approaching that.

Edit: not only argue, but comment as if that pro with two wins this year was some random ass clown troll lolol
Last edited by: Bosox99104: Aug 12, 18 13:11
Quote Reply

Prev Next