Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your reasoning for not embracing the technology doesn't really matter. Many are hesitant to embrace disc brakes for the same reason you didn't upgrade your P2, but you don't appear to cut them any slack. Although I do appreciate his insight and inout into the conversation, Tom A's reasoning for not wanting disc brakes represents about .01% of the biking/triathloin population. There are many reasons to be hesitant to the new technology.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finances are always relevant when discussing this expensive sport.

I'm more against the people who are "never disc brake!". I just kind of think it's silly. If you had an open mind and admitted you were concerned about the cost, I can see that. New frames, new wheels. If you are in the market for a new bike, it makes sense to go disc brake. Sell your old wheels.

If you rant on here about aero this, weight that, conspiracy theories of Slowman/Bike Industry trying to sell us new stuff, omg I won't qualify for Kona because of disc brakes!!!!!, etc., well yeah, I'm going to say something.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a barely used P5 and S5 over the past off season for a fraction of the price new ones cost (like, really, really good deals!)
This disc brake era doesn't make me regret my decision one bit. I'm on some of the fastest setups going and the tech works and is proven (sure disc brakes stop faster, but ime, I've had no problems ever stopping on rim brakes, and I don't know anyone who's had that issue).
The price of this new stuff is 3-5x the cost (maybe more) of what I spent, so that alone, is reason for me to be content :)

If I hang to these for 7-10 yrs and can't get value back, I'll pass them on to my boys. It's cool that this era seems to be working out for your timing and budget, but you can't expect that for everyone. I also think it'll be a very long time, if ever, before you see rim brake bikes being a thing of the past/obsolete. Time will tell.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never said you had to buy disc brakes now.

I said that in the future, manufacturers will be releasing disc only versions and slowly fading out rim brakes. Surprise! It's happening now.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

I said that in the future, manufacturers will be releasing disc only versions and slowly fading out rim brakes. Surprise! It's happening now.

What manufacturer has faded--or even begun to fade out--out rim brakes??? Most manufacturers have 1-2 road bike models with disc brakes. In fact, because I'm considering disc brakes on a road bike, I'm actually finding myself quite limited in my selection if I go that route. I think you are mixing up phasing in disc brakes with phasing out rim brakes. It will be several years before the scales tip in favor of more disc than rim brake models, if they every do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized Venge, BMC Road Machine, Cannondale System Six, etc. are disc only and more are coming.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

We'll see if it "sticks"...remember when Giant went all-in on 650B MTBs only? That didn't last very long...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it doesn't, then I will admit I was wrong.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are referring to models not manufacturers. Let me know when a manufacturer phases out rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will do!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
BryanD wrote:

We'll see if it "sticks"...remember when Giant went all-in on 650B MTBs only? That didn't last very long...
I think one reason you're seeing discs right now is that the UCI has kept the weight limit the same for so long. We've hit the point where there is a couple pounds of wiggle room to play with, so why not? If and when the UCI finally lowers the weight limit, there will be at least some shift back the other way.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let’s all be honest, there is one reason we are seeing discs and it was already mentioned in this thread-money. As soon as people stop (or never start) buying them, they will stop making them and move onto the next “greatest” technology that they believe will want people to buy/change/upgrade their bikes. It’s really that simple.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I think one reason you're seeing discs right now is that the UCI has kept the weight limit the same for so long. We've hit the point where there is a couple pounds of wiggle room to play with, so why not? If and when the UCI finally lowers the weight limit, there will be at least some shift back the other way.

pretty sure the bike mfg would hate the UCI to drop the limit right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Let’s all be honest, there is one reason we are seeing discs and it was already mentioned in this thread-money. As soon as people stop (or never start) buying them, they will stop making them and move onto the next “greatest” technology that they believe will want people to buy/change/upgrade their bikes. It’s really that simple.

You can say the same thing about electronic shifting. And 10, 11, and the coming 12 speed.

Let's just stop riding bikes!

Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I am on a similar page as you. We have a couple of n.P3s with some of the best rim brakes on earth (gen 2 eebrakes) with kool-stop salmon pads, and use training and race wheels with AL rims and we get awesome braking in all conditions. I will never say never, but having used disc brakes extensively and having seen both their upsides and their major downsides and big headaches, I think it will be a long while before disc brake road bikes work well enough for me for road and tri applications. But if disc brake systems improve A LOT, sure, anything is possible ... I just don't know when that will happen but my guess is that it won't be very soon.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jul 12, 18 14:22
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
lanierb wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
BryanD wrote:

pretty sure the bike mfg would hate the UCI to drop the limit right now.

I heard on a podcast recently (I think the Cyclingtips one from the stage 3 TTT?) that the UCI is apparently on the verge of lowering it...possibly to somewhere in the range of 5.8 - 6.4 kg IIRC.

That would certainly, to borrow a phrase from Phil, "Throw a cat amongst the pigeons" ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
What manufacturer has faded--or even begun to fade out--out rim brakes??? Most manufacturers have 1-2 road bike models with disc brakes. In fact, because I'm considering disc brakes on a road bike, I'm actually finding myself quite limited in my selection if I go that route. I think you are mixing up phasing in disc brakes with phasing out rim brakes. It will be several years before the scales tip in favor of more disc than rim brake models, if they every do.
The answer to your question is closer than you think.
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/sc-en/bikes/road/
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [Kristoffer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes solving a problem that doesn’t exist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
You are referring to models not manufacturers. Let me know when a manufacturer phases out rim brakes.

The word on the street is in 2019 if you want the latest tarmac in rim brakes you will have to buy a frameset. The venge is Disc only, and the Allez Sprint is supposedly coming out with a Disc model shortly. That's a pretty definite phasing out of rim brakes by Specialized if it all happens in the time frame they say it will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
If it doesn't, then I will admit I was wrong.

Oh I think some will. And then someone will have the bright idea that to sell more bikes they can release rim brake versions and market them as 'aero' for 20% more than their disc brake counterparts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You said this: [quote]Imagine that - as aero or better than the previous generation with better brakes [/quote]

What you should have said is this:

Imagine that - maybe more aero maybe not but with better brakes

Send me a 6 pack of RBC Hell Yes ma'am as thanks for fixing that for you!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here is something I posted ~ 1yr ago regarding the 2019 bike lines & disc brakes: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6355206#p6355206

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 12, 18 10:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah discs are a total fad, just ask any mountain biker, gravel racer, adventure rider, cyclocrosser . . . .

Oh that's right- they completely dominate every segment but high end road racing bikes (until this TdF at least, now this segment is starting to fall with the UCI block removed) and TT/Tri bikes (I would expect that reflects the smaller market and hefty used market is slowing the rollout out new Tri bikes- especially see how fast a used Shiv/Speedconcept/P3C/P4 are, and how cheap they can be bought).

BMC showed a lot of faith in the Tri market to spend the cash to roll this out.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The people predicting that disc brakes fail and rim brake bikes come back make me laugh

Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I think I am on a similar page as you. We have a couple of n.P3s with some of the best rim brakes on earth (gen 2 eebrakes) with kool-stop salmon pads, and use training and race wheels with AL rims and we get awesome braking in all conditions. I will never say never, but having used disc brakes extensively and having seen both their upsides and their major downsides and headaches, it will be a while before disc brake road bikes work well enough for me for road and tri applications. But if disc brake systems improve A LOT, anything is possible ... I just don't know when that will happen.

This is where I'm at. I'm not against disc brakes, I'm just not for what we currently have. For me, moving to discs right now would be a lateral move, just spending a lot of money to replace everything for no real improvement...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply

Prev Next