Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This statement:

We designed aerodynamic caliper covers to optimize the airflow around the disc brake calipers and minimize the impact on aerodynamic performance. The result is the aerodynamic performance of our Timemachine with the benefits functional integration of disc brake technology.

They are basically saying as fast as their rim brake version and with better brakes.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
This statement:

We designed aerodynamic caliper covers to optimize the airflow around the disc brake calipers and minimize the impact on aerodynamic performance. The result is the aerodynamic performance of our Timemachine with the benefits functional integration of disc brake technology.

They are basically saying as fast as their rim brake version and with better brakes.
Believe me, if they had *any* shred of evidence that the disc brake version was as fast as the rim brake version, they would have put it front and center. The fact that they went with vague uninterpretable mumbo jumbo instead, hidden 3/4 of the way down the page, is proof that it is not.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, let's go buy them and take them to the wind tunnel then? Otherwise we are just speculating

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Won't happen. This disc brake train is not turning around.

I think that there is one thing in this discussion that is still missing...that a rim brake IS a disc brake...it is just that the pads have to concern themselves with a crushing force in the middle when using rim brakes. Now if one were to be clever, then why not make the rim where you are applying the brake force into a 'non-compressible' substrate, and have a disc brake wheel with a diameter of the wheel you are riding...thus requiring less force to crank down on it, allowing some wiggle in the 'non-compressibility'...but the problem is that this would deviate from what was previously available...disc brakes are just adaptations from mountain biking, which are adaptations from the motor world. Originality in solving this 'problem' was lost!

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, go file that patent and I bet Zipp, ENVE, Roval, and well everyone else is now scared.

Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [caverunner17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caverunner17 wrote:
Back in IL, quite a few triathletes I know only had a Tri bike. Or a Tri bike and a beater road bike. So it's no wonder they're going to spend the most time training on a Tri bike, because it's their best/only bike. At the same time, I look back to some of my rides in IL and I'm only at 100-200' of elevation gain over 20-30 miles.

Yup, it's Flat AF around here. 20 miles, less than 200' of climbing: https://www.strava.com/activities/976024829

But the road quality is going from bad to worse as the state struggles fiscally. There's no repairing old tertiary roads, just throwing another layer of course chip-seal on every summer until its so bad they just tear up the pavement and make it a gravel stretch. The most dedicated local triathlete I know (top 10 in AG at 2017 IM 70.3 Worlds) just bought a Cervelo C5 to cope with the deteriorating riding conditions in the area.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jul 11, 18 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
I suppose "being competitive" is a relative term

I'd assume that placing in the top 10% (hell top 25%) overall would make you competitive. Of course, no one has yet to prove that training exclusively on a Tri bike actually makes you faster. Just a bunch of personal opinions not backed by a study or anything. A simple search of this message board on the topic shows that some people prefer to train solely on a Tri bike others like to split it up. Again, the UCI TT results prove that the best TT bikers are the best road bikers. There's no reason why the same wouldn't be for Triathlons as well. Same motions, same muscle groups just a slightly different sitting position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
This statement:

LOL. They are saying nothing of the sort. It's just classic marketing obfuscation.

I get it though, disc brakes are your dream and no one is going to convince you otherwise. That's fine, but it gets so tiring seeing you try to push them upon others and make nonsensical arguments in favour of them. Just buy one already and let the rest of us stay happy with our 'old' tech.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Won't happen. This disc brake train is not turning around.

I think that there is one thing in this discussion that is still missing...that a rim brake IS a disc brake...it is just that the pads have to concern themselves with a crushing force in the middle when using rim brakes. Now if one were to be clever, then why not make the rim where you are applying the brake force into a 'non-compressible' substrate, and have a disc brake wheel with a diameter of the wheel you are riding...thus requiring less force to crank down on it, allowing some wiggle in the 'non-compressibility'...but the problem is that this would deviate from what was previously available...disc brakes are just adaptations from mountain biking, which are adaptations from the motor world. Originality in solving this 'problem' was lost!

Stephen J

Maybe "in 10 years" we'll be riding bikes with drum brakes.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dream? Maybe I just don't care about bikes changing technology? It's a bike...buy it and ride it.

I have never cared that they are changing. Apparently, a lot of you do. Get over it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Imagine that - as aero or better than the previous generation with better brakes

I dispute that they're better. I have two bikes with hydraulic disc brakes now: an F-Si with XT-M8000 brakes and a freshly built up Culprit RAD that I've been on for a few days with Ultegra R8000 brakes. Both are properly set up. IMO, neither brake as well as my Shiv with Omega X brakes, Shimano TT 79 brake levers, and Hed Jet Black rims (disc rear, 4 front).

I'm not saying that the hydraulic discs brake poorly. Not by any stretch. I'd say they are on par with a good aluminum rim brake set up in the dry and a bit better when its wet.

My comparison isn't even apples to apples either. A proper comparison would be hydraulic rim brakes vs hydraulic disc brakes (or cable vs cable).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree and disagree. You are training the same muscles, mostly. You are training the same aerobic system. What you are not training is your postural fitness. Holding yourself up on a road bike is very different than a mountain bike, and is different than a tri bike. Each position requires different things out of the rider. To be the best you can be at triathlon cycling (at long course, which is what I stated in my first post on this tangential thread direction) you really should ride the tri bike in your aero bars the majority of the time (that simply means 51%, FYI). You even admitted yourself that you "might have been faster if you only trained on your tri bike" before saying that would kill the sport for you. And that's fine, not arguing that. But you are trading enjoyment for results. (hypothetically)
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Imagine that - as aero or better than the previous generation with better brakes

I dispute that they're better. I have two bikes with hydraulic disc brakes now: an F-Si with XT-M8000 brakes and a freshly built up Culprit RAD that I've been on for a few days with Ultegra R8000 brakes. Both are properly set up. IMO, neither brake as well as my Shiv with Omega X brakes, Shimano TT 79 brake levers, and Hed Jet Black rims (disc rear, 4 front).

I'm not saying that the hydraulic discs brake poorly. Not by any stretch. I'd say they are on par with a good aluminum rim brake set up in the dry and a bit better when its wet.

My comparison isn't even apples to apples either. A proper comparison would be hydraulic rim brakes vs hydraulic disc brakes (or cable vs cable).

IMHO, they're harder to set up right. My rim brakes are set it and forget for the most part, whereas my MTB discs seem to need frequent adjusting or cleaning to brake well and not squeak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
My dream? Maybe I just don't care about bikes changing technology? It's a bike...buy it and ride it.

I have never cared that they are changing. Apparently, a lot of you do. Get over it.

Wut? Do you even read what you post?
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here we go again...

I don’t care. I have an open mind. You and many others won’t stop shouting about how it’s the end of the world for bicycles.

I have repeatedly said wait and see and am excited about a new direction. Of course you can’t accept that things are changing. I get it. Change is hard for most people.

Change is not hard to accept for me. While you criticize every post I make about it, brag about your NDA and drag numbers, the rest of us moderate people on here could care less. We just like bikes.

Is that clear enough for you to read?

When the top of the line bikes from each manufacturer are going disc brake what are we going to do? Get mad and protest? Buy old frames and parts? Go tell them on Facebook how wrong they are?
How about buy the bike and have fun.

Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 11, 18 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

then, some bold company will release a 'climbing' version of their aero road bike for some premier pro tour rider at a hilly road race or mountain stage. it will be the same bike, but with rim brakes and mech shifting - same aerodynamics, a half-pound lighter.

then, everyone will start talking about needing a 'climbing' bike, and convincing themselves that their training and racing rides are 'pretty hilly,' and then everyone will want to get the new rim brakes and mech shifting just so that they can get neutral support, and saving weight's pretty important, and etc. except now mech and rim brakes will be more expensive that discs and electro.

and a few holdouts will come onto slowtwitch and say, "now's a great time to make a killing on second-hand rim-brake wheelsets!

Nah, what's more likely to happen is that urban hipsters will drop fixies and adopt rim-brake, mechanical shifting bikes as retro-cool, then boutique builders will spring up to sell them lousy to mediocre quality bikes at premium prices. But the "true" hipsters will recognize the quality of actual vintage bikes, and we'll all finally be able to liquidate our collection of rim brake wheels and frames.

Last edited by: gary p: Jul 11, 18 15:42
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
elf6c wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

The hype about how well disc brakes work in the wet is mostly in comparison to wheels with carbon braking surfaces...which are absolutely horrid.

Confirmed, did an Olympic this year and it started pouring 3 miles into the bike leg. Came steaming into a somewhat unexpected 120 degree turn and had a pucker factor 1000 moment when the brakes did nothing for a solid 5 seconds- I was clipped out and ready for emergency maneuvers when the brakes finally started to work well enough to slow down. After that and another wet bike leg later in the year, I would be happy to jump to disc braking- especially if Shimano make a proper DI2 bullhorn hydro-brake/shifter. My dream would be a SpeedConcept with ISOSpeed in the rear, discs, thru-axels, and a "don't give a crap about the UCI box" version.

But I am a disc best case scenario- technical, hilly, fast courses, I use full carbon wheels, race in the wet, and go full tilt on the bike to make my placings.

Take a few of those away, and a current gen Speedconcept would be all I ever need.

The easiest, and most effective one of those to take away is the full carbon wheels. Pick up a set of Hed Jet Blacks to replace whatever wheels you use now, sell the old wheels to reduce the incremental cost...and never look back.

The braking is a little better on these hybrid wheels but not enough to drop another $1.5-2k on. The poor cable routing and compromised brakes on most TT bikes means you're starting with two strikes. At this point I am holding fast to my current Aoelus TLR 9's until next race season and I will look at the landscape then.

And discs have completely taken over every segment but TT bikes, so dumping more money into a non-disc, non-thru axel wheelset at this point isn't for me.

Note- I like road tubeless on everything as well, so I may be biased towards new shiny stuff. . .

"A little better"? You obviously haven't tried the Jet Blacks then.

Also, you're forgetting that the incremental cost is reduced if you sell the old wheels. Either way, it's significantly less than a whole new bike and wheels.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
caverunner17 wrote:
CPT Chaos wrote:
To contrast you, I rode 15 hours last week, with 14 of them on the tri bike. On two of the rides on the tri bike, I had pissing rain for 3 hours (was very glad to have hydraulic brakes) and each had over 6k of climbing. To say elevation limits one's riding to only a tri bike is just wrong.

Good for you, I guess?

I'm not saying there aren't outliers or people in CO who only own a tri bike. Perhaps if you have DI2 on the brake levers things are different, but for the majority who have mechanical shifting, a Tri bike is not a great climbing bike, given the need for frequent switching of gears out of aero, and trying to climb in aero at 10-12MPH (or slower if a super steep climb) is pretty unstable and you can't pull against the aerobars nearly as well as you can on shift levers on a road bike. It's like trying to take Prius on backcountry trail roads. It might make it, but it's not the best tool for the job. Not to mention a lot of local group rides won't allow tri-bikes for safety reasons.

Again, bike fitness is transferable. As long as you're comfortable on your tri bike and have done enough practice rides, it's not as if training on your road bike is going to take away from your Tri bike fitness. Look at the UCI world championship TT. The top guys are almost always top tier Tour guys who... you guessed it, spend most of their time training on road bikes. Looking down on someone because they train a bulk of their miles on a road bike is pretty stupid in my opinion, assuming they have a well-fitting Tri bike and do ride on occasion to get a comfortable position. If it's good enough for the pros, it's good enough for the rest of the people.

Agreed. For example, I hadn't touched my TT bike since last fall. I've been doing a lot of road and mixed surface riding, but nothing in the TT position.

Well...last month I went out to the local 10 mile TT and came within 6 secs of my PR for the course...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 11, 18 15:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
This statement:

Huh...did they say how they were able to keep those covers from causing brake overheating on descents? It's not like discs don't overheat even without the covers...

Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, a 23:30 10mi flat/rolling TT is TOTALLY an analog for a long course triathlon bike performance. Clap clap.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jul 11, 18 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Congratulations, a 23:30 10mi flat/rolling TT is TOTALLY an analog for a long course triathlon bike performance. Clap clap.

Dammit...I just KNEW I should've added that caveat about it not being a very long distance ;-)

That said...I'm fairly certain Jordan Rapp trained mainly on his road bike while he was still a long course triathlete...just sayin'...

Edit: Oh, and that course has three 180 turnarounds, four 90 turns, and a net elevation gain...so, it's not exactly a "fast" course (you stalker :-P )

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 11, 18 16:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. 2010 P3 here. I know there are naysayers on 12 sp as Campy already has it, but you will see everyone else coming out with 12 sp. Hopefully a different set of wheels from 11 sp aren't going to be needed. Right now I'm on 10-and Zipp said my my disc wheel can't have the hub swapped out for 11 due to dishing. Which I found odd that a Zipp 900 has any dishing at all...it's flat. Either way, yeah, disc brakes it is, the choice seems to be made for us by the manufacturers.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full time pros get a pass from my sweeping generalization given the fact that their adaptation period is generally shorter than even FOP AG athletes (with jobs).

Plus, I feel like saying "pros are sometimes fast in spite of their decisions" is a good thing to say in this moment.

ETA - I did that course once. It was miserable on a borrowed road bike. That's how I knew where to look, ha.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jul 11, 18 16:26
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I know there are naysayers on 12 sp as Campy already has it, but you will see everyone else coming out with 12 sp. Hopefully a different set of wheels from 11 sp aren't going to be needed.

The SRAM PG-1230 Eagle 12 speed mountain cassette fits on a current standard 11-speed Shimano/SRAM freehub....or even an 8/9/10 speed freehub. Rotor will be launching 11-speed-freehub compatible 12-speed cassettes with more road-friendly ranges early next year. If you want a 10T (or 9T) small sprocket, you're going to need a new freehub. But, if you can manage with an 11T smallest sprocket, 12 speed is not automatically incompatible with current wheels.

Quote Reply

Prev Next