Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
BMC Timemachine TT Disc
Quote | Reply
Just got an email about this

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/us-en/timemachine-disc/


Last edited by: mike s: Jul 11, 18 5:37
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool! Seems like everyone is refining their rim brake versions instead of creating something crazy like Cervelo did.

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But.....would you upgrade your frame AND Wheels just to have something similar to what you have but with disc brakes..?

If we're honest, there isn't a vast difference in performance between the top tier frames, ie Trek, Scott, Cervelo, Canyon, BMC, etc.. would having disc brakes really make enough of a difference to justify replacing your nice, fast Zipps,etc as well..?

I'd only buy one if my race wheels, frame (and realistically group set) needed replacing at the same time. That won't happen for sometime, unless I have a big crash..or get a windfall of cash.

I would however, be more tempted to sell what I have and use the money I get towards something drastically different...like the Cervelo or Ceepo etc
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have an old 2011 P2 like me, you would be looking for a disc brake bike as your next bike.

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
If you have an old 2011 P2 like me, you would be looking for a disc brake bike as your next bike.

Why? How much time do you really spend braking on a Tri bike? How often do you ride in the rain?

I'm not negating the advantages for commuters, CX or MTB bikes. But for the rest of us, there's not that significant of a difference, at least not enough of a difference to have to get all new wheelsets. It's just something new for the manufacturers to sell us
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [caverunner17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because the future of triathlon bikes is disc brakes, not rim brakes. I've ridden my P2 for 7 years. My next bike will be ridden 7-8 years too. 10 years from now, bikes will not be rim brakes. I'm buying something to last, not rim brakes because Slowtwitch tells me to.

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, you're such a marketers dream.

"My new bike is built for the future!"

"Are you faster on it compared to your old bike?"

"Not really, but its built for the future!"
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Because the future of triathlon bikes is disc brakes, not rim brakes. I've ridden my P2 for 7 years. My next bike will be ridden 7-8 years too. 10 years from now, bikes will not be rim brakes. I'm buying something to last, not rim brakes because Slowtwitch tells me to.


So somehow rim brakes make a bike not last now?

Right....

As to what happens 10 years from now? Who knows. Caliper brakes are cheaper and work just fine for 95% of the population. I seriously doubt that every road and tri bike is going to come with disc brakes 10 years from now. Of course, that all depends if manufacturers actually settle on one standard (like through axle) or keep changing them, just like every BB standard out there these days. And if 10 years from now it is the standard.... guess what? It's going to be cheaper and you aren't going to have to spend $$$$ on a high end bike to get one as they'll be on entry-level bikes.
Last edited by: caverunner17: Jul 11, 18 8:36
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really. I’m just not blind to what’s happening in the industry.

I don’t rush out and buy things because some guy on Slowtwitch said it was faster when 99% of the people on here are not aerodynamicist or bicycle engineers.

If I was a marketers dream I would buy bikes every 2-3 years and switch aero helmets like underwear.

Wake up, rim brakes are slowly being replaced.

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Not really. I’m just not blind to what’s happening in the industry.

I don’t rush out and buy things because some guy on Slowtwitch said it was faster when 99% of the people on here are not aerodynamicist or bicycle engineers.

If I was a marketers dream I would buy bikes every 2-3 years and switch aero helmets like underwear.

Wake up, rim brakes are slowly being replaced.

I see it happening too.. I dont like it 100% but when I cant get the best offering from a mfg.. well then it's about time to jump ship. For example BMC TMR01 (disc only) Venge (disc only) I see it only getting worse in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are using brakes in a tri or TT, then you are doing it wrong.

It's all about the post count!!!
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
90% of your time on a bike is training. How about we get back to talking about this bike instead of repeating the same anti-disc brake nonsense that’s in all the other threads?

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
90% of your time on a bike is training. How about we get back to talking about this bike instead of repeating the same anti-disc brake nonsense that’s in all the other threads?

90% of the time in training I'm on my road bike.

It's all about the post count!!!
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
BryanD wrote:
90% of your time on a bike is training. How about we get back to talking about this bike instead of repeating the same anti-disc brake nonsense that’s in all the other threads?


90% of the time in training I'm on my road bike.


You must not do long distance triathlons very quickly then.

ETA - To further take this thread out of whack - do you feel like this is the best policy? Most competitive triathletes I know do a majority of their riding on their race bike, because that is the best way to develop positional fitness required to be competitive.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jul 11, 18 9:39
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
If you are using brakes in a tri or TT, then you are doing it wrong.

I thought everyone do 100% of their training indoors now
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
If you are using brakes in a tri or TT, then you are doing it wrong.

Not trying to be antagonistic to you in particular but I've seen this said a lot in these disc brake debates, and the authors probably have varying levels of seriousness and sarcasm but this statement is just...silly, stupid, and detrimental to the argument that disc brakes dont matter for tri or TT on the road.

For this to ring true, why don't you save the weight and aero drag and remove your front and rear calipers, cables, and brake levers and have a brake-less bike? Saves hundreds of grams of weight and a small handful of watts.
However, no one does that. Ever, regardless of UCI rules or whatever might govern this. This is an irrefutable fact. Hence the importance of braking.

Again, I understand YOU may be kidding but some people say this and are serious.

Brakes are a critical and essential part of a bicycle. Technical or hilly course? You're going to use the brakes a LOT, so you don't fall and get horribly injured, not to mention they could save your life if something suddenly gets in your way (car, animal, other riders, pothole field, list goes on). Having brakes that perform better is a benefit. Whether they're rim or discs is not my point, my point is to say that to claim braking is not important...is plain stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
Having brakes that perform better is a benefit. Whether they're rim or discs is not my point, my point is to say that to claim braking is not important...is plain stupid.


Most people that say brakes don't matter in triathlon think they are faster than they really are.

I have Shimano pads on a TriRig Omega X with aluminum rims and rode in heavy rain last Thursday and I could barely stop in time for a red light.

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 11, 18 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Change of subject..see you in the Blueseventy tri suit email...you’re officially a model
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:
Having brakes that perform better is a benefit. Whether they're rim or discs is not my point, my point is to say that to claim braking is not important...is plain stupid.


Most people that say brakes don't matter in triathlon think they are faster than they really are.

I have Shimano pads on a TriRig Omega X with aluminum rims and rode in heavy rain last Thursday and I could barely stop in time for a red light.


You should've kept on the KoolStop Salmon pads that came with that brake...there's a reason Nick specs those pads as stock.

BTW, when was the last time you tried to make a stop like that in heavy rain on a disc-equipped bike?

Let me tell you from personal experience that there's still quite a bit of "Oh sit, these things aren't working!" time when you first apply the levers on a disc bike in heavy rain conditions...and then once they do start working, they perform basically the same as KoolStop Salmons on alu rims.

The hype about how well disc brakes work in the wet is mostly in comparison to wheels with carbon braking surfaces...which are absolutely horrid.



http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 11, 18 9:59
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
BryanD wrote:
90% of your time on a bike is training. How about we get back to talking about this bike instead of repeating the same anti-disc brake nonsense that’s in all the other threads?


90% of the time in training I'm on my road bike.


You must not do long distance triathlons very quickly then.

ETA - To further take this thread out of whack - do you feel like this is the best policy? Most competitive triathletes I know do a majority of their riding on their race bike, because that is the best way to develop positional fitness required to be competitive.

Cam Wurf just said he rides his TT bike only once per week, but when he does it's very race specific. I don't think there's a lot of science around this, but it's certainly not necessary to ride your TT bike a majority of the time.

Strava I Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea it's not a confidence inspiring sweeping generalization to say "fast triathletes ride their race bikes more than they do not" but, I still think it's the best policy for most people. Using Cam Wurf as an example of "probably not necessary to ride tri bike all the time" may also not be the best rule of thumb, ha.

Also, pros in general are tough to follow, as they are generally adapting to changes much quicker. If I ride 8hrs a week as an FOP AG triathlete and they are riding 15-20hrs a week they don't have to ride the tri bike as frequently to adapt to the position as they are riding much more than your average AG triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
If you are using brakes in a tri or TT, then you are doing it wrong.




Again, I understand YOU may be kidding but some people say this and are serious.

Just so you (and everyone) know.....I was joking. I don't use pink font.

It's all about the post count!!!
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
If you have an old 2011 P2 like me, you would be looking for a disc brake bike as your next bike.

I don't want to be a thorn in your side, but fyi your 2011 P2 (new gen P2, correct?) is/was a very very fast bike. When correctly and optimally set up, the n.P2 will beat many many of these new bikes coming out. Of course there are faster bikes out there, but they are or will be very very expensive compared to your very fast P2.

Advanced Design Top Tube Aero Bento Packs for Road, Gravel, & Triathlon....Direct bolt-mount and ZERO-slip universal low-profile strap mount....Made by us in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.......Reviews.......Instagram.......Facebook

"Why would you want to be the last man alive on a sinking ship?" -- why Tesla Motors shares its patents with their competitors.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old p2

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean this one?

Because I think the old P2 was discontinued before 2011 (?). Or did you get one that was slightly older stock at a shop?

Advanced Design Top Tube Aero Bento Packs for Road, Gravel, & Triathlon....Direct bolt-mount and ZERO-slip universal low-profile strap mount....Made by us in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.......Reviews.......Instagram.......Facebook

"Why would you want to be the last man alive on a sinking ship?" -- why Tesla Motors shares its patents with their competitors.
Quote Reply

Prev Next