Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So.....what do we all think of the new BMC TM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
If they're not even willing to claim that it's faster than the old one, then... yawn
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
BryanD wrote:
This statement:

We designed aerodynamic caliper covers to optimize the airflow around the disc brake calipers and minimize the impact on aerodynamic performance. The result is the aerodynamic performance of our Timemachine with the benefits functional integration of disc brake technology.

They are basically saying as fast as their rim brake version and with better brakes.

Believe me, if they had *any* shred of evidence that the disc brake version was as fast as the rim brake version, they would have put it front and center. The fact that they went with vague uninterpretable mumbo jumbo instead, hidden 3/4 of the way down the page, is proof that it is not.

I think that is " fair " to say.. the burden of proving it's faster then rim brake model is on the disc brake model. Every other mfg has stated these things but BMC choses to be vague. I still want the TM01 Disc but LanierB is right.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i TRULY do not understand why everyone think that the design's idea is to be faster. its to STOP faster. if the bike is equally as fast and stops faster, then mission accomplished.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People need to understand that bike companies are focusing on things beyond aerodynamics

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:

Freaking awesome. I love my older TM01, but the brakes suck. They are weak, a pain to adjust, and changing pads requires pulling my crank on the rears. I'm a mediocre cyclist at best and don't have the bank account to purchase new bikes. But maybe one day, or maybe I'll just wait till this is a few years old and I can find one in my size used.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Here we go again...

I don’t care. I have an open mind. You and many others won’t stop shouting about how it’s the end of the world for bicycles.

I have repeatedly said wait and see and am excited about a new direction. Of course you can’t accept that things are changing. I get it. Change is hard for most people.

Change is not hard to accept for me. While you criticize every post I make about it, brag about your NDA and drag numbers, the rest of us moderate people on here could care less. We just like bikes.

Is that clear enough for you to read?

When the top of the line bikes from each manufacturer are going disc brake what are we going to do? Get mad and protest? Buy old frames and parts? Go tell them on Facebook how wrong they are?
How about buy the bike and have fun.

But you just said you don't care about bikes changing technology? So which is it?

As for me, I'm happy with my lot. Won't see me buying anything new until all my current stuff goes to pieces.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [caverunner17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caverunner17 wrote:
BryanD wrote:
If you have an old 2011 P2 like me, you would be looking for a disc brake bike as your next bike.

Why? How much time do you really spend braking on a Tri bike? How often do you ride in the rain?

I'm not negating the advantages for commuters, CX or MTB bikes. But for the rest of us, there's not that significant of a difference, at least not enough of a difference to have to get all new wheelsets. It's just something new for the manufacturers to sell us

X2

I really don't understand how manufacturers can just abandon bringing out rim brake models.

Trek at least have a New Madone SLR in rim and disk.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the bike *may* be equally as fast. And let's say it stops faster, for the sake of argument.

But it's also much more expensive and many times more complex.

entry level average price on one of those new aero road bikes launched last week is ~$5k. You could get a whole lot of rim brake bike for $5k.

Your maintenance costs will go up as well. Bleeding brakes, bent disc rotors... how much is your time worth?
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
So the bike *may* be equally as fast. And let's say it stops faster, for the sake of argument.

But it's also much more expensive and many times more complex.

entry level average price on one of those new aero road bikes launched last week is ~$5k. You could get a whole lot of rim brake bike for $5k.

Your maintenance costs will go up as well. Bleeding brakes, bent disc rotors... how much is your time worth?

safety > time.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Congratulations, go file that patent and I bet Zipp, ENVE, Roval, and well everyone else is now scared.

I don't need to apply for patents for obvious ideas such as that. I already have 18 patents/patent apps. covering molecular biology/chemistry, engineering, nanotechnology, and microfluidics arrived at the hard way (at the bench, not by being a supervisor taking credit for ideas brought to them). Ill give the rim idea away for free (since it is not new or novel). Oh, and try not to be so arrogant in your reply if you can help it.

Oh, and you never addressed the point of what I was writing...that there is no difference between using the rim as a disc or a separate entity as the disc; and that we arrived where we are with disc design by very incremental advances; rather than any sort of leap (small or large).

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
If you have an old 2011 P2 like me, you would be looking for a disc brake bike as your next bike.

Fair enough...but what if your wheels are a nice Zipp Super 9 and 808..? Would you not then go for something like a Trek Speedconcept or a Cervelo P5 etc..?

My point is the market for disc brake TT bikes is going to be people buying their first TT bike...or people looking to change their entire set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
People need to understand that bike companies are focusing on things beyond aerodynamics

The main thing they focus on is making money; otherwise, they do not remain a company...and people do not need to understand that, it is just helpful to understand that if one wants to understand the motivations of a company which cause them to take certain actions and go in certain directions.

I agree with a bunch of your thoughts on the matter (discs are making inroads to bicycle design and are on their way to be the go-to braking methodology), but I think that the reasons you use to back it up are not primary in the minds of the companies which product this stuff.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
it's also much more expensive and many times more complex.

entry level average price on one of those new aero road bikes launched last week is ~$5k.

maintenance costs will go up as well.

"I wonder why triathlon isn't growing?"

if the Manufacturers think it takes $5K to gain entry, then the door isn't really open. people can talk about these nonsensical $10K-$14K bikes and that's fine. the lift in the bottom is the real issue.

sigh ...
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexer03 wrote:
mike s wrote:

Freaking awesome. I love my older TM01, but the brakes suck. They are weak, a pain to adjust, and changing pads requires pulling my crank on the rears. I'm a mediocre cyclist at best and don't have the bank account to purchase new bikes. But maybe one day, or maybe I'll just wait till this is a few years old and I can find one in my size used.

I'm also a mediocre cyclist, and I have a question for you.......How often do you change brake pads? I've done over 70 triathlons since 2010 (and all the associated training miles) and have yet to change a set of brake pads.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not that I have to change them, but when I want to adjust the brakes or swap between training and racing wheels I can't without it being a major issue.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKathlete wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Fair enough...but what if your wheels are a nice Zipp Super 9 and 808..? Would you not then go for something like a Trek Speedconcept or a Cervelo P5 etc..?

My point is the market for disc brake TT bikes is going to be people buying their first TT bike...or people looking to change their entire set up.

Sold my 808/Super 9. No interest in a P5 or Speed Concept.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
UKathlete wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Sold my 808/Super 9. No interest in a P5 or Speed Concept.

Picked up some Hed Jet Blacks? ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah. Renting an 808/Super 9 from my shop.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Because the future of triathlon bikes is disc brakes, not rim brakes. I've ridden my P2 for 7 years. My next bike will be ridden 7-8 years too. 10 years from now, bikes will not be rim brakes. I'm buying something to last, not rim brakes because Slowtwitch tells me to.

I understand this logic. The only issue maybe on changing standards. I still think there are a number of refinements to come for disc brake road / tri/ TT use and probably a number of standards to cycle through.
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Because the future of triathlon bikes is disc brakes, not rim brakes. I've ridden my P2 for 7 years. My next bike will be ridden 7-8 years too. 10 years from now, bikes will not be rim brakes. I'm buying something to last, not rim brakes because Slowtwitch tells me to.

I understand this logic. The only issue maybe on changing standards. I still think there are a number of refinements to come for disc brake road / tri/ TT use and probably a number of standards to cycle through.

Definitely not disagreeing there. I only hope it doesn't end up like bottom brackets. Why is there 648694964 different bottom brackets....

Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowboy7 wrote:
caverunner17 wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Why? How much time do you really spend braking on a Tri bike? How often do you ride in the rain?

I'm not negating the advantages for commuters, CX or MTB bikes. But for the rest of us, there's not that significant of a difference, at least not enough of a difference to have to get all new wheelsets. It's just something new for the manufacturers to sell us

X2

I really don't understand how manufacturers can just abandon bringing out rim brake models.

Trek at least have a New Madone SLR in rim and disk.

They still offer the Domane in a rim brake model in addition to disc brake model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

Sold my 808/Super 9. No interest in a P5 or Speed Concept.[/quote]

What I don’t understand is that You haven’t embraced the latest technology in the last years since you ride a 2012 P2–a perfectly fine machine. But now you are apparently “embracing change” you just want everyone else to just “buy the bike and have fun”

Why can’t you acccept that some are reluctant to that change just like you have been for years????

Edit-I see you have a 2011 P2 so it’s been 7 years...
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jul 12, 18 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't change because I couldn't afford it. Student loans said no are still saying don't do it! :)

I understand reluctance but getting pissed off about it on here and acting like it's the end of the world makes me laugh.

Change happens all the time. I'm glad I never bought a P5 or a new rim brake bike. Exciting times are ahead. I'm also very glad I didn't buy a P5-X. I can at least thank Grill and others for that :)

Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 12, 18 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: BMC Timemachine TT Disc [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sold my 808/Super9 as well.. using Enve 7.8 with my 2014 BMC TM01. I think I will be content with this for this year and next. Hoping there will be another TM01 in a couple years time.
Quote Reply

Prev Next