Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to prove you wrong as well. Unfortunately, I can not promise anything before the date you were told; especially in a public forum. When we are projecting ship dates, we are making a series of educated guesses and working from some assumptions. Admittedly, we should have done a much better job at guessing and we are now in a situation where almost all P5 frame sets or bikes are oversold. In other words, if you order today, there will likely be a wait to get the P5. In fact, some folks who have already ordered will be in the same situation.

We are sorry for the delays that many athletes looking for a P5 will face. However, to say that "no one will get a P5 before September" is not accurate for everyone. We do have some athletes on the bike currently and the next round is expected to ship out soon.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David Byer wrote:
I would love to prove you wrong as well. Unfortunately, I can not promise anything before the date you were told; especially in a public forum. When we are projecting ship dates, we are making a series of educated guesses and working from some assumptions. Admittedly, we should have done a much better job at guessing and we are now in a situation where almost all P5 frame sets or bikes are oversold. In other words, if you order today, there will likely be a wait to get the P5. In fact, some folks who have already ordered will be in the same situation.

We are sorry for the delays that many athletes looking for a P5 will face. However, to say that "no one will get a P5 before September" is not accurate for everyone. We do have some athletes on the bike currently and the next round is expected to ship out soon.

All I am asking for is open and honest communication. My issue is not the fact it was delayed, but the fact I had the same ship date for almost 4 months and then the day before it is supposed to ship, I get notified it is delayed. My problem now is I cant trust my new ship date based on what happened today.

Also, I am fairly confident that the statement I heard about no one getting this until September is pretty accurate. If that is the case, no problem, just let us know. And I am sure your correct in that some people have gotten them....your pro riders which should be the case. But your reps are telling your dealers that us common folk in the US are not getting these anytime soon.
Last edited by: 7summits: Apr 30, 12 15:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well unfortunately I am one of those "some folks" that ordered, paid in full in February, and was over promised a delivery date of May. The shop I ordered from told me "it didn't look good for you to get a bike before the end of the year" after calling our rep. Just to make sure that I was not getting the run around, I called our only other Cervelo dealer and asked if he could find out more information. I received a call back with basically the exact same grim news.

I am really disappointed with the way the communication has been handled from day 1. To make matters worse, I constantly have to see the Cervelo banner ad that has been running for the past three months telling me "The Wait is Over."

I am in a customer service industry myself and I just thought you might like to know I am not at all a happy Cervelo customer.
Last edited by: bwells2610: Apr 30, 12 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [bwells2610] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the P5 will go down as the biggest rollout bust of all time. Supply = a handful and Demand = a bunch. I was asking my LBS about a P5 build and he said I would have to wait until 2013 for delivery. Also said lots of people who ordered in early Spring may be in the same boat. Cool bike, but what's the point of all the advertising and PR when you don't have any bikes? They have probably helped to push even more people over to a Shiv.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Hi Damon,

Sorry to bother you again, but now I've come to doubt the relationship between pad and extension height again after a look at the official photos. As you can see from the image I've made below it is quite clear that the relative height of the extensions are quite a bit lower on the X-Lo setup than the Low setup. Is this just because the pictures don't necessarily correctly represent the final version of the X-Lo bar?

Thanks in advance.

Hi MTM, sorry for my late reply, I just got back from a week in Spain introducing the first P5s to the Team Garmin-Barracuda mechanics.

The image on the right is photoshopped, so pay no attention to that one. :-)

But the effect is as you suspect: the extensions are 4mm lower on the X-Low. In practice it just means you'll trim 4mm less off the ski tip.

To be specific:

• The arm pad stack heights for the X-Low, Low and High-V are 40, 60, and 105mm, respectively.
  • The extension stack heights are 19, 43 and 88mm.
  • So the "drop" from the arm pad the the centerline of the extensions is 22, 18 and 18mm respectively.
Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [N8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate, I haven't installed it but I'm familiar with all the parts and I can't imagine you'll have a problem.
Quarq may have more experience here, as we've sent them a small fleet of Cervelos to play around with. They might know from experience.
Cheers,

Edited to add, I see Tom A answered this long ago. Thanks Tom!

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Last edited by: damon_rinard: May 1, 12 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Carcinogent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carcinogent wrote:
It is official. The P5 i ordered will not make it for this season for me here in The Netherlands. No date, however, definitely not May/June. I am looking into a P2 frame so i really hope there is a size 61 available somewhere for delivery in 7-10days. Season is around the corner so stocks are probably thin. My LBS will let me know what options i have on Monday. I have C priority races in 2-3weeks. Quite unfortunate news.

This probably got lost since it was on the bottom of a page. So the bad news has been around for some time for me at least (Since April 21). Currently my LBS found me a P3 in size 61 from Germany (kudos to him btw, he has been very helpful to all my nagging phone calls). If all goes well it should be ready this Thursday. I have a C priority race this Sunday. Since it is a complete bike (Ultegra level), my LBS will be changing quite some of the parts, making it less of a steal as compared to the complete P5. Provided I never race untested equipment I do not think I will ride the bike in the coming race.

On a side note there is no date as of when P5 bikes/frames will be arriving in the Benelux. Since most of us have racing season around the corner, it would have been better if there was a little more information regarding the delays. As someone mentioned the fastest bike is the one you can ride.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi MTM, sorry for my late reply, I just got back from a week in Spain introducing the first P5s to the Team Garmin-Barracuda mechanics.

The image on the right is photoshopped, so pay no attention to that one. :-)

But the effect is as you suspect: the extensions are 4mm lower on the X-Low. In practice it just means you'll trim 4mm less off the ski tip.

To be specific:

• The arm pad stack heights for the X-Low, Low and High-V are 40, 60, and 105mm, respectively.
  • The extension stack heights are 19, 43 and 88mm.
  • So the "drop" from the arm pad the the centerline of the extensions is 22, 18 and 18mm respectively.
Cheers,

No problem - and thanks for the answer. 4 mm difference is no biggie, it just looked like a lot more on the picture. I'm trying to get the extensions and my arms close together as I *think* that would be more aerodynamic than having a big gap - like you see e.g. on bars with the extensions mounted below the base bar. From some of your earlier comments I sense that you have at least thought about the height relation between arm pads and extensions so I trust this is thought about in the design process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David Byer wrote:

[/quote

Hi David.

I appreciate your participation in this thread.

What I think a lot of us would like to know is when the first consumers (i.e. non-sponsored athletes) are getting their P5's. One thing is making 20-30 frames in a pre-production mold for people that can get a new one if something is not entirely as it should be, but it's another matter to produce 1000+ items and shipping it out to paying customers. When people start seeing other customers getting P5's I think at least some of the heat you're getting now will cool down a bit - at least I then know that the 'countdown' has begun. Right now we have no idea how the "customer production" is going - have some been made? Are they shipped? Are they delivered to distributors or even retailers yet? Things like that :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to sound like a hater but I'm starting to think precise supply information is being kept from the public as a strategy. To a point, anticipation builds demand. If, on the other hand, delivery is significantly (as in an entire season) delayed due to production or logistics problems, then it would be a commercial suicide to voluntarily say it aloud. Customers might cancel orders, bad publicity, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hgv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that Cervelo should take a page from the Apple release style. As in do not announce until you have made enough to be ready to ship and deliver to dealers after an order is placed.
Announcing a product months before it is available is not a good business plan.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ajh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajh wrote:
I think that Cervelo should take a page from the Apple release style. As in do not announce until you have made enough to be ready to ship and deliver to dealers after an order is placed.
Announcing a product months before it is available is not a good business plan.

If you can actually follow through on your announcements, it's better to announce early. I was thinking of buying a bike over the winter and I decided to wait given that I knew the P5 was coming. I'd rather know my options than buy one bike the day before another appears in stores. Accurate information about upcoming launches is a benefit to the triathlete community.
Last edited by: matto: May 3, 12 5:44
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mind waiting for a few months (particularly for a P5!), but the sort of thing that is going on with power pedals is absurd. How can those companies justify advertising a product for so long without delivering? Generally speaking, the two companies I refer to deliver very good products, but....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The whole thing is becoming very fishy, the "White Paper" has be promised for quite sometime, I've owned several Cervelos and love them.

Something is way wrong...........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM - Good questions. It is very difficult to give definitive answers. In my experience; if you say something in a public forum, it better be true for everyone. When it comes to delivery, not everyone will get their bike at the same time.

For your specific questions about 'customer production':
Have some been made?
- Yes production is in full swing right now. No, they are not ready to ship as we have not been through the entire process (including our final QC).
Have they been shipped?
- No. We expect to ship to retailers in the near future. We can not give a date as not all sizes and specs will ship at the same time.

There has been some great feedback on this thread as to model launch related to availability. We do welcome the feedback and want to work toward a better process in future models.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hgv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't want to sound like a hater but I'm starting to think precise supply information is being kept from the public as a strategy. To a point, anticipation builds demand. If, on the other hand, delivery is significantly (as in an entire season) delayed due to production or logistics problems, then it would be a commercial suicide to voluntarily say it aloud. Customers might cancel orders, bad publicity, etc.

Well I can tell you that I indeed cancelled my order. I will not do business with a company that is willing to take my money, continue to promise something that they certainly knew was not going to happen, and then basically say tough luck. Not once did any Cervelo employee seem to say I am sorry about the delays. Instead it is excuses about how this is the way things work.

My impression and opinion is that Cervelo was forced to try and announce a bike sooner than they would have liked, because Specialized and the Shiv had made a large impact in Kona by announcing their new bike, and also simultaneously signing the World Champ to ride the new Shiv.

By the looks of things, with Lava Magazine giving us the pictures of that unnamed Cervelo frame that certainly is being hinted as Crowies Kona ride. I would say that Specialized has forced Cervelos hand and leaving us customers in the wake of this battle.

Since Cervelo says production is in full swing, why don't you post a picture of all these P5's coming out of the factory so that the people who are still waiting can have something to believe.
Last edited by: bwells2610: May 3, 12 21:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David Byer wrote:

"We expect to ship to retailers in the near future."

Dear David, cheeky question: Does "ship" mean Sea >90 days, Sea/Air around 45days, Air 3-6 days ?!
Last edited by: mphasis: May 4, 12 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David Byer wrote:
MTM - Good questions. It is very difficult to give definitive answers. In my experience; if you say something in a public forum, it better be true for everyone. When it comes to delivery, not everyone will get their bike at the same time.

For your specific questions about 'customer production':
Have some been made?
- Yes production is in full swing right now. No, they are not ready to ship as we have not been through the entire process (including our final QC).
Have they been shipped?
- No. We expect to ship to retailers in the near future. We can not give a date as not all sizes and specs will ship at the same time.

There has been some great feedback on this thread as to model launch related to availability. We do welcome the feedback and want to work toward a better process in future models.

Thanks for the answer, David.

Of course delivery time will vary depending on exact model, size, your location, etc. However, I (and probably a lot) am looking forward to when the first buying customer will have a P5 in his/her hands. Of course, it could be both a week, a month or maybe even more after that before I get mine. But when the first couple of bikes have been delivered it usually means potential issues etc. have been worked out and from there on it's probably mostly "just" a matter of getting the production ramped up and the bikes shipped out. I have a sense we will see pictures online of the first lucky owners (or rather their P5's) pretty soon after the first ones have been delivered. I hope it's soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bwells2610 wrote:
Not once did any Cervelo employee seem to say I am sorry about the delays.

David Byer wrote:
I apologize to anyone who is in this situation.

Not that I'm defending how they managed this whole situation. I think communication could have been a lot better, both to the dealers as well as to the general public.

But what you said is simply not true.

They make a great bike, they botch the releases. It is what it is. As customers we can either wait for the bike, or cancel and buy something else. Both are reasonable choices depending on each person's situation. It just doesn't seem worth getting worked up over.
Last edited by: matto: May 4, 12 9:45
Quote Reply
Post deleted by bwells2610 [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: bwells2610: May 4, 12 10:21
Quote | Reply
ok, i'm a cervelo-junkie like everyone else and ordered a p5 way back when.....i'm hearing that i'll be jonesin to ride it till 2013?? is this for real?
will they rebadge it a p6 by then? if and when we get em in 2013, i'm sure the next generation p7 new design will have us drooling...

one thing i've learned is to not sell my old cervelo until i have the new one in hand...

:-D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also cancelled: And my new BMC TM-01 Time Machine with Di2 looks fast and rides fast. Maybe not quite as fast as a P5, but I have already done 2 PB on 2 tracks this month. My P3 is now my backup. Way to go Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [mphasis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That cheeky question is really relevant. It is what determines if I'm going to wait or not. Would be great if we could get an answer from David...
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclisto wrote:
ok, i'm a cervelo-junkie like everyone else and ordered a p5 way back when.....i'm hearing that i'll be jonesin to ride it till 2013?? is this for real?
will they rebadge it a p6 by then? if and when we get em in 2013, i'm sure the next generation p7 new design will have us drooling...

one thing i've learned is to not sell my old cervelo until i have the new one in hand...

:-D

Who has two thumbs and called this problem back in jan/feb when they said they didn't have any prebuilt.... this guy

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=3775968#3775968

But ATC thinks its a demand problem... riiiight... if you can't deliever even 1 to your customers and then push back orders from may to 2013??? Thats a huge supply issue. They should have had at least the same number of them built as they sold in the p4's the first year before they even started orders for the bike. Another marketing disaster for Cervelo. It sucks too cause i'm sure its a great bike, but delievery is king. This type of system works when you're the big dog on the block and everyone wants your bike i.e. the p3 back in 06-07, but everyone has caught up, the top of the line bikes are more of a commodity now with every company having a very very good bike. As a manufacturer you can't afford to have stuff not getting to people when its supposed to be there. especially 2 months into the tri season already.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [mphasis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mphasis wrote:
David Byer wrote:

"We expect to ship to retailers in the near future."
Dear David, cheeky question: Does "ship" mean Sea >90 days, Sea/Air around 45days, Air 3-6 days ?!

I was told around a week to NY. No idea if that applies anywhere else, or whether it will actually come true.
Last edited by: matto: May 16, 12 5:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next