Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [justkeepedaling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justkeepedaling wrote:
I may be wrong, but I think the bars on the P5 are probably at least as aero as the R1

could be, but it may be hard to beat the unique braking setup of the USE.

this would have to be weighed against the integrated stem/cabling setup on the p5 when you use the p5 specific aerobars though

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned possibly using the Tula with a P5 as a way to retain adjustability. Damon said the Tula tested very well and was an excellent choice. So if the R1 has 35% less drag than the Tula, which is what USE claims, then it seems unlikely there is going to be any sort of major difference compared to the Aduro, also bearing in mind the relatively small difference that is being claimed for the P5 over the nearest competitor bike. From the photos, the R1 looks anorexic compared to the SC9's bars, for example.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also stated that the Aduros were the fastest bars they ever tested. Obviously that includes Ventus and USE Tula. We really have no idea. The brake levers also must be doing something interesting further down the line. I'm thinking some kind of flow conditioner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the post where Damon responded to the possibility of using the Tula:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=3736782#3736782

If there had been a substantial difference I'd have expected him to discourage their use over the Aduro, so I think it's reasonable to conclude that you wouldn't lose much, if anything at all, if you used the R1 (which has 35% lower drag than the bar Damon said would be a good choice) instead of the Aduro. As for the Aduro being the fastest bar they have ever tested, obviously that was before the R1, which also tests faster than the Tula and a "5:1 competitor":
http://www.use1.com/...87/r1-[coming-soon]/
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reported gains from the R1 are at 31mph. Your initials don't happen to be F.C. from Switzerland? At 25mph (still fast as hell for AG HIM and up) the benefit from R1 to the worst on the list looks to be 8 or 9 watts. That is of course without knowing protocol.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
Here is the post where Damon responded to the possibility of using the Tula:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=3736782#3736782

If there had been a substantial difference I'd have expected him to discourage their use over the Aduro, so I think it's reasonable to conclude that you wouldn't lose much, if anything at all, if you used the R1 (which has 35% lower drag than the bar Damon said would be a good choice) instead of the Aduro. As for the Aduro being the fastest bar they have ever tested, obviously that was before the R1, which also tests faster than the Tula and a "5:1 competitor":
http://www.use1.com/...87/r1-[coming-soon]/

You and I have no idea what the difference between the Aduro and Tula are. The R1 might not really be 35% faster than the Tula. I read it as Damon referring to it as having great aero while still giving you adjustability and personal preference. Not necessarily that it was as fast. Besides, with the USE bars, you have to consider the aero of the stem as well. As a system, the Aduro is likely hard to beat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justkeepedaling wrote:
You and I have no idea what the difference between the Aduro and Tula are.
Yes we do. Look it's just simple maths. The P5 is claimed to be 55g of drag better than the nearest competitor. The P4 with Ventus is near enough the equal of any competitor, therefore we can say there is roughly 55g of drag between the P5 and P4+Ventus. There is little difference between the Tula and Ventus, based both on USE's data and Stu Dodd's wind tunnel data that he posted on here in the past, so P4+Tula is roughly 55g of drag worse than the P5. So even if the R1 were no more aero than the Tula and the entire benefit of the P5 were in the bars rather than elsewhere, it would still only be 55g of drag difference, but it seems unlikely either of those things is the case.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
All three macro height options for the extensions keep the correct vertical relationship between arm pads and extensions: they go up and down together.

Hi Damon,

Sorry to bother you again, but now I've come to doubt the relationship between pad and extension height again after a look at the official photos. As you can see from the image I've made below it is quite clear that the relative height of the extensions are quite a bit lower on the X-Lo setup than the Low setup. Is this just because the pictures don't necessarily correctly represent the final version of the X-Lo bar?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been searching for info so forgive me if I'm repeating a question already answered in the 32 pages contained in this thread...

I understand Enduro makes either a BB or an adapter to allow the use of a GXP crank on the BBright frame.
My question is: Will a GXP S975 w/ Quarq work on the P5 with the use of the adapter, and is there room in there to get the magnet mounted? My concerns are due to tight clearance b/w the crank and PM, and sometimes adapters interfere with the PM (i.e. the reed switches on the quarq).
Cheers,
Nate

Nathan Berg
F.I.S.T. Certified Road Race and Tri/TT Bike Fitter
Albuquerque, NM
http://www.fit2wincycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7summits wrote:
drgwood wrote:
Everything I have heard is nothing shipping before May 1. And those shipping then will be P5-3s (UCI-legal). June for P5-6s so far but who knows.
Will hope for best for you but fear by end if May wishful thinking.

I ordered my P5-6 56CM frameset the day it was available to order. My ship date always said just May. Yesterday, we checked and it says May 1st. I am so damn excited to get this thing. I sure hope that May 1st date holds up.

I am so mad right now. Just got informed today that my P5 is now delayed until May 30th. It was supposed to ship tomorrow. The worst part about this is getting the information last minute. There is no way Cervelo found out today that the frame would not ship tomorrow.

Since I can't trust the May 30th date now, I am going to have to buy another bike. Anyone have a Speed Concept or Shiv to sell in large?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got off the phone with my Cervelo Performance Retailer regarding my ordered 58 P5. I have been told that my order status is now showing "oversold." They then called Cervelo and were told that they would not be able to give me a date for shipping, but he seemed to believe it would not be until the 2013 Model year before I could expect one.

So long story short, I ordered and paid in full for a P5 expecting and being told May or June, and now I am being told the soonest I would see a P5 would be the end of 2012. What a joke this is. Really an upset customer as I have burned though months that I could have been training on a new bike.

If anyone from Cervelo would like to comment, or give me some information as to where I could find a 58 P5 before 2013, I am all ears.
Last edited by: bwells2610: Apr 30, 12 13:22
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [N8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
N8 wrote:
I've been searching for info so forgive me if I'm repeating a question already answered in the 32 pages contained in this thread...

I understand Enduro makes either a BB or an adapter to allow the use of a GXP crank on the BBright frame.
My question is: Will a GXP S975 w/ Quarq work on the P5 with the use of the adapter, and is there room in there to get the magnet mounted? My concerns are due to tight clearance b/w the crank and PM, and sometimes adapters interfere with the PM (i.e. the reed switches on the quarq).
Cheers,
Nate

I can answer that since I've run a GXP S900 Quarq (same spider as the S975) in a BBright frame using the Enduro "reducing spacers" (i.e. they merely take up the space between the PF30 BB inner diameter and the GXP crank 24mm diameter spindle). The beauty of BBright is that they didn't extend the BB out on the DS, so that there's room for the Quarq spider.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: May 1, 12 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [bwells2610] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bwells2610 wrote:
I just got off the phone with my Cervelo Performance Retailer regarding my ordered 58 P5. I have been told that my order status is now showing "oversold." They then called Cervelo and were told that they would not be able to give me a date for shipping, but he seemed to believe it would not be until the 2013 Model year before I could expect one.

So long story short, I ordered and paid in full for a P5 expecting and being told May or June, and now I am being told the soonest I would see a P5 would be the end of 2012. What a joke this is. Really an upset customer as I have burned though months that I could have been training on a new bike.

If anyone from Cervelo would like to comment, or give me some information as to where I could find a 58 P5 before 2013, I am all ears.

When did you order yours?

My ship date always said May 1st (the last we checked was Friday, April 27th). Today the shop checked again and it now says May 30th. If you try to order a bike now, all of the sizes say "oversold".

I now can't trust the ship date of May 30th which puts me in a position where I need to buy another bike. If it ACTUALLY ships May 30th, I would be ok, but I can't have another ship delay where I am notified on May 29th. I am in a bad spot right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
I can answer that since I've run a GXP S900 Quarq (same spider as the S975) in a BBright frame using the Enduro "reducing spacers" (i.e. they merely take up the space between the PF30 BB inner diameter and the GXP crank 24mm diameter spindle. The beauty of BBright is that they didn't extend the BB out on the DS, so that there's room for the Quarq spider.

Thanks Tom!

Nathan Berg
F.I.S.T. Certified Road Race and Tri/TT Bike Fitter
Albuquerque, NM
http://www.fit2wincycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this case clearly Cervelo.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
In this case clearly Cervelo.

I say it is a tie. Selling your race bike before you have the new one in your hands == selling a frame before you have the production done

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
who is worse at planning, you guys, or cervelo? =)

anyone want a 58 p3 aluminum frame?

How am I bad a planning? I have had the same ship date of May 1st since mid January and then the day before it is supposed ship, it gets delayed another month. My frustration comes from the fact that I found out today. Like I said in my post, there is no way Cervelo just found out TODAY that my frame wont ship tomorrow.

I need a 2011 56CM P4 Frameset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't sell my frame so I still have a bike that I am training on, but had I known that after placing an order for a bike at the beginning of February that I would not likely see it delivered until late 2012, I certainly would have gone another direction sooner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ones bad planning, the other is much worse, as promises were made and money changed hands. I suspect a few people sold bikes to finance the new one.

If someone said they comitted to buy a P5 in January and it was promised by May and is pissed that they didn't have it for an early June race, thats poor planning. Not having it for an early 2013 june race, not so much.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Ones bad planning, the other is much worse, as promises were made and money changed hands. I suspect a few people sold bikes to finance the new one.

If someone said they comitted to buy a P5 in January and it was promised by May and is pissed that they didn't have it for an early June race, thats poor planning. Not having it for an early 2013 june race, not so much.

Your missing my point. All I want is honest communication from Cervelo. They knew well in advance of today that my bike would not. I really dont think open and honest communication is too much to ask from a company.
Last edited by: 7summits: Apr 30, 12 16:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7summits wrote:
I did some more research and heard no one will be getting bikes until at least September.

This is a strong statement. Did someone from Cervelo actually say this?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
7summits wrote:
I did some more research and heard no one will be getting bikes until at least September.

This is a strong statement. Did someone from Cervelo actually say this?

It was 3rd person from a cervelo rep. Why doesnt the Cervelo folks chime in? Would love for them to prove me wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7summits wrote:
After getting some PMs from other people today regarding this, I did some more research and heard no one will be getting bikes until at least September.

Ouch.

The fastest bike is the one between your legs.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just emailed the shop where i have one on order. haven't heard back yet.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply

Prev Next