Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...the precise communication of precise ideas requires the precise use of precise terminology, and all that...

Precisely! :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... their anaerobic WORK capacity increased (which is not quite the same as saying that their anaerobic capacity increased, or that they produced more energy anaerobically...but you'd have to really understand the Monod model to grasp such nuances).

Could you point me to some reading to elucidate this distinction?

I assumed that anaerobic capacity = maximal production of energy anaerobically, but no eh?

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Holy cow!!! Coggan using the term strength in a "lay sense"

Not so. I used it to describe the maximal force-generating capacity of her muscles (in the cycling position).
Could you please tell me how "strength (average effective pedal force)" refers to the "maximal force-generating capacity of her muscles"?
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
where do you get that peak pedal force is related to 2 x average effective pedal force

By screwing it up again, darn it! IOW, you're right; I don't know why I keep making that mistake (which Robert Chung has flagged me on before).

In Reply To:
One more question from your example? how is it possible for a cyclist who may weigh 60 kg to generate 225 kg pedal force without popping off the saddle (or further off the saddle, if standing).

More like ~110 kg, as you pointed out. As for how they avoid popping out of the saddle, that is what handlebars are for (ever tried doing a standing start in a big gear w/o holding on tightly?).
Is this an argument for upper body strength training in cyclists? Or, could it be that they counter this excessive force by applying an upward force on the "recovery" portion of the stroke. The handle bars are not the only way such a force can be negated and they are not particularly well positioned to efficiently counter the torque that must come from shoulder muscles. Further, you didn't address the issue that the applied pedal forces are even greater than the calculated forces coming from average or even instantaneous torques.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
we know the monod model is not perfect. As discussed earlier in this or another thread it seems to fall down at very short durations (at least the spread sheet does) so does it apply to VO2 max efforts?

In a word, yes. That is, such efforts are long enough to fulfill the assumption that all of anaerobic work capacity will be utilized (which isn't true at durations shorter than perhaps 3 min).

In Reply To:
Anyhow, it seems that such an increase could also be explained by an increase in aerobic capacity (reaching anaerobic threshold later) or some combination. How can one know which mechanism is responsible?

Based on the data, you don't - that is why I said anaerobic WORK capacity and not anaerobic capacity (the precise communication of precise ideas requires the precise use of precise terminology, and all that). In the Monod paradigm, what the former really represents is "resistance to fatigue during very high intensity, i.e., non-sustainable, exercise" - which is precisely what the study measured.
VO2 max efforts must last 3 minutes? What does anaerobic effort have to do with VO2 max anyhow since anaerobic efforts do not require the delivery of any additional oxygen?

And, exactly what is the difference between anaerobic work capacity and anaerobic capacity?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

... their anaerobic WORK capacity increased (which is not quite the same as saying that their anaerobic capacity increased, or that they produced more energy anaerobically...but you'd have to really understand the Monod model to grasp such nuances).

Could you point me to some reading to elucidate this distinction?

'fraid not, as this is my own personal distinction (my way of never losing sight of what the Monod approach really measures).

In Reply To:
I assumed that anaerobic capacity = maximal production of energy anaerobically, but no eh?

That is how it is generally used, yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that "anaerobic work capacity" describes a limit as related to the cycling motion, whereas "anaerobic capacity" is a general limit for any motion?

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Could you please tell me how "strength (average effective pedal force)" refers to the "maximal force-generating capacity of her muscles"?

What is it that you do not understand? All measures of strength are movement/condition specific, so the maximal AEPF someone can generate when pedaling a bicycle is indeed a measure of their strength.

In Reply To:
Is this an argument for upper body strength training in cyclists?

Most non-endurance track cyclists do indeed lift weights. Still, when you consider that performance in a standing start is only moderately correlated with strength (no matter how you measure it), I wouldn't advocate that anyone spend a lot of time trying to develop large upper-body muscles to counteract the forces that their legs can generate.

In Reply To:
Further, you didn't address the issue that the applied pedal forces are even greater than the calculated forces coming from average or even instantaneous torques.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean...the fact that some of the points measured during the race were above the line formed by the data measured (using exactly the same equipment) in testing? As I said, that is probably due to 1) standing during the race (which has been shown to increase maximal power by ~10%), 2) greater motivation during the race, and/or 3) measurement error (no instrument is perfect, and the way that the SRM - or Quarq, etc. - measure power means that some bias in the data is possible).
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are you saying that "anaerobic work capacity" describes a limit as related to the cycling motion, whereas "anaerobic capacity" is a general limit for any motion?

I use anaerobic work capacity to refer to the y-intercept of the work-duration relationship determined using the Monod approach. I do so to constantly remind myself that the measurement is based on physical data, and not physiological data (i.e., based on such data alone you never really know precisely what accounts for any changes in this intercept, despite plenty of data showing that the y-intercept is responsive to interventions - such as weight training! - that would be expected to affect anaerobic capacity).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

What is it that you do not understand? All measures of strength are movement/condition specific, so the maximal AEPF someone can generate when pedaling a bicycle is indeed a measure of their strength.

In Reply To:
Is this an argument for upper body strength training in cyclists?

Most non-endurance track cyclists do indeed lift weights. Still, when you consider that performance in a standing start is only moderately correlated with strength (no matter how you measure it), I wouldn't advocate that anyone spend a lot of time trying to develop large upper-body muscles to counteract the forces that their legs can generate.

In Reply To:
Further, you didn't address the issue that the applied pedal forces are even greater than the calculated forces coming from average or even instantaneous torques.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean...the fact that some of the points measured during the race were above the line formed by the data measured (using exactly the same equipment) in testing? As I said, that is probably due to 1) standing during the race (which has been shown to increase maximal power by ~10%), 2) greater motivation during the race, and/or 3) measurement error (no instrument is perfect, and the way that the SRM - or Quarq, etc. - measure power means that some bias in the data is possible).

Sorry, according to you all measures of strength are 1 rep max measures. So, according to you, strength measurements cannot be movement/condition specific or are you changing the definition of strength that you insist everyone else use to what they have been trying to use. You did not measure the AEPF for your wife for one rep so, according to your definition, you did not measure her strength, as you have previously defined the term, the only acceptable definition of the term, according to you. Isn't that correct.

What I mean is, since applied pedal forces are almost never tangential to the pedaling circle the actual applied pedal forces are usually substantially above those that would be calculated from measuring torque (the only thing that can be measured if one does not have actual pedal force measurements), especially average torque for two reasons. Peak torque will always be greater than average torque and actual force is always greater than the tangential force unless the direction of the force is parallel to the pedaling circle where the force is applied. Hence, any statement that these calculated forces represent actual forces are a substantial underestimation.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I use anaerobic work capacity to refer to the y-intercept of the work-duration relationship determined using the Monod approach. I do so to constantly remind myself that the measurement is based on physical data, and not physiological data (i.e., based on such data alone you never really know precisely what accounts for any changes in this intercept, despite plenty of data showing that the y-intercept is responsive to interventions - such as weight training! - that would be expected to affect anaerobic capacity).
Here is the flaws in your argument that I see.

First, we know the Monod model breaks down at short duration efforts. Because of this breakdown it is not clear the Y intercept means anything in this regards.

Second, you make the assumption that the demonstrated effects of weight training (without defining exactly what kind of weight training you are talking about) only affect anaerobic capacity without any proof such an assumption is true. The entire argument of some here is they think weight training (again, without defining what they mean by weight training beyond meaning they are not looking to improve 1 rep max) could have an affect on aerobic ability also.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
according to you all measures of strength are 1 rep max measures.

No, per the ACSM (among many others), 1 RM is an acceptable measure of strength. There are, however, other acceptable measures, e.g., isometric force production.

In Reply To:
So, according to you, strength measurements cannot be movement/condition specific

This doesn't logically follow from what I have said in the least.

In Reply To:
or are you changing the definition of strength that you insist everyone else use

Nope: strength is the maximal force generating capacity of a muscle of muscle group. The fact that it can be measured different ways (e.g., 1 RM while squatting, vs. throwing some force transducers on a fixed bar and having a person perform an isometric movement at the mid-range of the squat position) in no way changes this fact.

In Reply To:
You did not measure the AEPF for your wife for one rep so, according to your definition, you did not measure her strength, as you have previously defined the term, the only acceptable definition of the term, according to you. Isn't that correct.

No, it is not correct. I measured the maximal force generating capacity of her muscles during the cycling movement. Since measurements of strength are always condition-specific (e.g., your isometric strength with a 90 deg bend of the elbow is different than with a 150 deg bend), this wouldn't necessarily be exactly the same value as you would obtain using a different approach. Unless something goes awry, though, you would expect various measures of strength to be correlated (and they are, c.f. Stone's standing start study).

In Reply To:
What I mean is, since applied pedal forces are almost never tangential to the pedaling circle the actual applied pedal forces are usually substantially above those that would be calculated from measuring torque (the only thing that can be measured if one does not have actual pedal force measurements), especially average torque for two reasons. Peak torque will always be greater than average torque and actual force is always greater than the tangential force unless the direction of the force is parallel to the pedaling circle where the force is applied. Hence, any statement that these calculated forces represent actual forces are a substantial underestimation.

The calculated forces ARE the actual average effective pedal force - no ifs, ands, or buts.

(BTW, I find it ironic that you threw up that picture of Broker's TOTAL force data to talk about muscular forces.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

First, we know the Monod model breaks down at short duration efforts. Because of this breakdown it is not clear the Y intercept means anything in this regards.

As roady said, you are clearly unfamiliar with the Monod approach, and in particular the data validating its interpretation. Specifically with respect to the y-intercept, it has been shown to be unaffected by hypoxia/hyperoxia (therefore must be independent of aerobic processes), but is affected by things such as very high intensity ("anaerobic") interval training or creatine loading. Thus, there is very good reason to view it as a measure of anaerobic capacity. Ultimately, though, it is based on physical, not physiological, measurements, which is why I try to consistently refer to it as anaerobic work capacity.

(BTW, the cause of the breakdown is clear: it is a result of both the model being too simple and the assumptions of the model being violated.)

In Reply To:
Second, you make the assumption that the demonstrated effects of weight training (without defining exactly what kind of weight training you are talking about) only affect anaerobic capacity without any proof such an assumption is true.

No, precisely (ha!) the opposite is true: because I am very much a stickler for correct use of terminology to avoid blurring of concepts, I make it a point to refer to the y intercept as anaerobic WORK capacity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
according to you all measures of strength are 1 rep max measures.

No, per the ACSM (among many others), 1 RM is an acceptable measure of strength. There are, however, other acceptable measures, e.g., isometric force production.

In Reply To:
So, according to you, strength measurements cannot be movement/condition specific

This doesn't logically follow from what I have said in the least.

In Reply To:
or are you changing the definition of strength that you insist everyone else use

Nope: strength is the maximal force generating capacity of a muscle of muscle group. The fact that it can be measured different ways (e.g., 1 RM while squatting, vs. throwing some force transducers on a fixed bar and having a person perform an isometric movement at the mid-range of the squat position) in no way changes this fact.

In Reply To:
You did not measure the AEPF for your wife for one rep so, according to your definition, you did not measure her strength, as you have previously defined the term, the only acceptable definition of the term, according to you. Isn't that correct.

No, it is not correct. I measured the maximal force generating capacity of her muscles during the cycling movement. Since measurements of strength are always condition-specific (e.g., your isometric strength with a 90 deg bend of the elbow is different than with a 150 deg bend), this wouldn't necessarily be exactly the same value as you would obtain using a different approach. Unless something goes awry, though, you would expect various measures of strength to be correlated (and they are, c.f. Stone's standing start study).

In Reply To:

The calculated forces ARE the actual average effective pedal force - no ifs, ands, or buts.

(BTW, I find it ironic that you threw up that picture of Broker's TOTAL force data to talk about muscular forces.)
Ok, Strength can be measured as a 1 rep max or as an isometric max (one static, one dynamic). I still don't see how you get from that to strength = (average effective pedal force) is an equivalent use of the word strength.

And, I don't understand what is so ironic about the Broker/Lance data. Which is a better representation of the combined muscular forces during pedaling, Total resultant force applied to the pedal or resultant torque coming from the pedal?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

As roady said, you are clearly unfamiliar with the Monod approach, and in particular the data validating its interpretation. Specifically with respect to the y-intercept, it has been shown to be unaffected by hypoxia/hyperoxia (therefore must be independent of aerobic processes), but is affected by things such as very high intensity ("anaerobic") interval training or creatine loading. Thus, there is very good reason to view it as a measure of anaerobic capacity. Ultimately, though, it is based on physical, not physiological, measurements, which is why I try to consistently refer to it as anaerobic work capacity.

(BTW, the cause of the breakdown is clear: it is a result of both the model being too simple and the assumptions of the model being violated.)

In Reply To:
Second, you make the assumption that the demonstrated effects of weight training (without defining exactly what kind of weight training you are talking about) only affect anaerobic capacity without any proof such an assumption is true.

No, precisely (ha!) the opposite is true: because I am very much a stickler for correct use of terminology to avoid blurring of concepts, I make it a point to refer to the y intercept as anaerobic WORK capacity.
Huh? Could you direct me to the literature showing that Monod is "unaffected" by hyperoxia or hypoxia. Oxygen delivery to the tissues is not reliant on oxygen concentration at all for hyperoxia and is only affected minimally by hypoxia conditions, unless they are extreme. I would love to see what they did. Unless their testing was under extreme conditions I would expect such an outcome.

And, I find it interesting that you try to use a term (anaerobic work capacity) that, it seems, only you understand and have defined in your own mind. When someone asked you for a literature reference you said it didn't exist, as I understood it.

Of course, the breakdown of any model to predict outcome is a result of the model not being adequate for the conditions ("both the model being too simple and the assumptions of the model being violated") How can anyone say the model means anything under conditions where it is known to break down and keep a straight face? That is my point.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ok, Strength can be measured as a 1 rep max or as an isometric max (one static, one dynamic). I still don't see how you get from that to strength = (average effective pedal force) is an equivalent use of the word strength.

Average effective pedal force @ CPV = 0.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Could you direct me to the literature showing that Monod is "unaffected" by hyperoxia or hypoxia.

There have been multiple such studies, but Moritani et al. (Ergonomics 1981; 24(5):339-50) appear to have been the first. (There are multiple review articles out there on the critical power concept, so I suggest that you start your reading with one of those.)

In Reply To:
I find it interesting that you try to use a term (anaerobic work capacity) that, it seems, only you understand and have defined in your own mind. When someone asked you for a literature reference you said it didn't exist, as I understood it.

That is correct: most people use anaerobic capacity and anaerobic work capacity interchangeably, whereas I prefer to keep them separate (just as I once was careful to draw a distinction in a review paper between splanchnic glucose production measured using the a-v balance approach and whole-body glucose Ra measured using an isotopic tracer, even though many sloppily (IMO) refer to both as "hepatic glucose production"). You will note, though, that while I feel that this distinction is useful, I also recognize that it is my invention (as is the use of "metabolic fitness" as a synonym for LT, comparable to how "cardiovascular fitness" is used as a synonym for VO2max), and thus don't thrust it upon others (this thread only went in this direction when someone asked what I meant).

In Reply To:
Of course, the breakdown of any model to predict outcome is a result of the model not being adequate for the conditions ("both the model being too simple and the assumptions of the model being violated") How can anyone say the model means anything under conditions where it is known to break down and keep a straight face?

Because the conclusion that the y-intercept is an indicator of anaerobic capacity is based upon application of the model under conditions/experiments in which it does NOT break down.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jan 22, 10 12:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you two billing anybody or their healthcare provider for any of this :)

Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect Andy may have been done for speeding or something and is performing community service to bring physicians up to speed with pretty basic scientific concepts. Personally I would have done time than try and teach Frank anything. I thought he was just playing dumb as this suited his business but recent posts prove an inability to follow basic principles. Inspires great confidence in the US Medical Teaching System. He was an anaesthesiologist so I wonder instead of gas or meds if he just talked people to sleep?

Sorry for the "snide" comments Frank, but it's all you deserve.

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
some of the points measured during the race were above the line formed by the data measured (using exactly the same equipment) in testing? As I said, that is probably due to 1) standing during the race (which has been shown to increase maximal power by ~10%

Just to illustrate this point: here is a quadrant analysis of a standing start workout that my wife did just a couple of weeks after the formal F-V testing:

As before, the solid red line is her AEPF-CPV as measured in the seated position on the Velodyne. The dashed red line, OTOH, is my eyeball best-fit to the data obtained during the standing starts (the points I've circled in green are clearly artifactual in nature). As can be seen in the figure, standing increased the force (and hence power) she could produce at low-to-moderate velocities by ~10%. Either due to developing fatigue or the difficulty in coordinating the effort when pedaling standing up at ~800 W, the slope of the line was steeper, such the two lines converge at ~70 rpm.

Continuing on this theme for a bit, what is interesting is to compare these data to a standing start workout she did back in 2002, as shown here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~acoggan/misc/id6.html

Her maximal AEPF back then (when standing) was ~1075 N, vs. the ~950 N shown in the above figure. IOW, she was 12% weaker in 2007 vs. 2002. Despite this, as I indicated before she set personal bests for power at all durations >17 min.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jan 22, 10 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are you two billing anybody or their healthcare provider for any of this :)

I live on soft money.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I suspect Andy may have been done for speeding or something and is performing community service

No, believe it or not I do all of this of my own free will, and simply for the intellectual stimulation and entertainment value it provides me. Crazy, huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I suspect Andy may have been done for speeding or something and is performing community service

No, believe it or not I do all of this of my own free will, and simply for the intellectual stimulation and entertainment value it provides me. Crazy, huh?

And I for one always appreciate it and do you the service of referencing any of the many concepts I "borrow" from your postings. Great post to the wattage site.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before I start into this 13 page thread... can someone promise me it's worth reading?
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [tim_sleepless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest no.

To sum: Frank misunderstands something again and stubbornly digs his heels in and makes himself look even more stupid.

Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
To be honest no.

To sum: Frank misunderstands something again and stubbornly digs his heels in and makes himself look even more stupid.

I feared as much.
Quote Reply

Prev Next