Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Your weakest link is what limits your power. The part of the power chain that reaches its maximum potential first is what stops you from improving. It will vary from person to person. If your weakest link is one small muscle in the chain, so be it. If it is a large muscle group, so be it. You will have achieved "perfect balance" when all the parts of the system "fail" at the same time. Train your weaknesses if you want to improve.

So if I, like most triathletes, have a power profile that slopes upward to the right, your recommendation for improving my sustainable power would be to do a lot of sprint training because that's my weak spot?
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Your weakest link is what limits your power. The part of the power chain that reaches its maximum potential first is what stops you from improving. It will vary from person to person. If your weakest link is one small muscle in the chain, so be it. If it is a large muscle group, so be it. You will have achieved "perfect balance" when all the parts of the system "fail" at the same time. Train your weaknesses if you want to improve.

So if I, like most triathletes, have a power profile that slopes upward to the right, your recommendation for improving my sustainable power would be to do a lot of sprint training because that's my weak spot?
No, I am referring to the weakest link in your power production chain. When that muscle "fails" you can only go on if other muscles compensate for the weakness. If it is the aerobic (or strength, or whatever) capacity of X muscle then you will get more benefit improving the capacity of that muscle than trying to improve the capacity of other muscles to compensate for that weakness.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually what I think is most relavent is if you take a guy and have him do zero squats in a week but 6 hours on the bike and take that same guy and have him ride 5 hours a week and spend 1 hour doing squats and see who gets faster in the end.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19960350

and

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19903319

(which appears to be two pubs off the same research).

I believe AC's comment about this was something about a 1.5% increase in the
non-weight group being an issue. I'm not sure how that invalidates the conclusion, but
I'm not an exercise physiology expert.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here was AC's comment. (Post #21 if it doesn't direct link)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Two comments:

1) I don't think anyone here - not even Frank - can be accussed of playing a "shell game" with definitions.

Actually, I think you could be accused of such. You know very well what people are talking about when the talk about "strength" on the bike and strength training for the bike. You know very well they are not talking about 1 rep max strength, the only definition you seem to accept, yet you will not engage them in this discussion.

There is only one accepted definition of strength. Until people understand it, and how it differs from other physiological determinants of performance in various sports, it is really pointless to try to go any further.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

2) While it certainly possible that future studies might demonstrate a beneficial effect of weight training on endurance cycling performance in competitive cyclists*, that would not:

A) change the fact that no such studies have been published* as of today;

according to you this is settled science and there is no possiblity that anyone who think otherwise could possibly be right

No, all I am saying is that, as of today, no published study* has shown that strength training improves endurance cycling performance in trained cyclists (whereas about a half-dozen have reported that it does not). Again, you can only go by the data that are available (wasn't this a point you were harping on previously in this thread?).

*There is one abstract, but until the details become available with publication of the entire paper, it is difficult to say what it really means.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

B) necessarily mean that these putative newer studies are correct and older studies are wrong, and/or;

Huh? What a stupid argument.

It's not a "stupid argument", but simply a statement of fact: the publication of new data does not necessarily mean that prior data are automatically wrong or obsolete.

In Reply To:

Until the study is done and the data is analyzed one cannot say anything about any future study.

Precisely my point - thank you for helping me make it.

In Reply To:
C) prove that strength, per se, plays a role in determining endurance cycling performance.

No, I'm saying that you need to distinguish between the role of strength, per se, and the putative benefits of strength training - these are two different issues, since strength training can potential impact other aspects of physiological function as well (e.g., improve running economy in runners, presumably by "stiffening their springs").

In Reply To:
*As the saying goes in science, if it isn't published, it doesn't exist (which is just pithy way of saying that the onus is upon generating the data to share it with the world if they hope to convince people that it/they is/are correct).
In Reply To:

If it isn't published it doesn't exist. LOL.

In science, if it isn't published it is as if it doesn't exist. IOW, publication is how data are "vetted" for mass consumption; failure to publish therefore means that no one wants to accept your results (and they can't cite them even if they wished to).

In Reply To:
Lance and Carmichael write an article on how he trains and why and "because it isn't in a peer reviewed journal" it should be ignored. Lance trains with weights and because we know about it only from Youtube, it should be ignored? Is that what you are saying?

Yes (especially considering that Carmichael/Armstrong are well-known for their attempts to play head-games with their competition...consider, for example, the report in VeloNews today that Armstrong is as fit now as he was in April of most of his Tour-winning years. Fact, or fiction?).

In Reply To:
Well, if you say "there is no evidence" ever you are most certainly almost always wrong. A more correct response would be "the preponderance of evidence I am aware of shows" but an even better response would be "I interpret the evidence to show" But, to say there is "no evidence" is crazy.

By "no evidence" I mean "no published papers". IOW, I'm not relying on "the preponderance of the evidence" or even how I interpret, but merely stating a verifiable fact.

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
One of the reasons that I'm always so vociferous about this topic is in hopes of stimulating someone, somewhere, to try to prove me wrong. After nearly two decades of posting such comments to the web, though, it still hasn't happened.

LOL. Who here do you think is going to have the resources to do a "proper" study and get it published in a peer reviewed journal to "prove you wrong".

I know for a fact some of Armstrong's closest and longest-standing advisors monitor this and/or other groups to which I post (hi Dean!). So, too, does the head physiologist for the AIS (hi Dave!), those who work with the Cervelo TestTeam (hi Damon), one of the leading cycling biomechanists in the world (hi Jim!), etc. As well, a number of my other academic colleagues read lists such as this one, not to mention the myriad number of graduate students out there who are still transitioning in their identify from athlete to scientist. IOW, web forums such as this have far greater reach than you seem to realize.

(And while I was typing the above, who should call me on my cell phone but Dean...how ironic!)
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jan 21, 10 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [lrobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Andy Coggan has assured me in the past that what I have described above is highly implausible because changes in fitness happen quickly and tapering only gains you a few % of performance at best. What he says simply doesn't match my experience. I have had a 10% improvement in 3 minute cycling power output after doing no cycling at all for 3.5 weeks, for example. I know someone who thought he had found the holy grail of swimming training when he changed his regime to a high intensity low volume regime. This is great, he said, I'm no longer tired all the time, I can swim fast at every meet, I'm doing PBs.

You seem to be confusing improvements in performance as a result of tapering to get past residual fatigue, and changes in short-term performance that are likely due to reversal of the detrimental effects of endurance training on neuromuscular power.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
but I still don't agree with the argument that strength is not a factor once the force is sub-maximal. Suppose we have two people, one is a bench press champion who can bench press 700lb. The other is a more normal regular gym visitor who can bench press 200lb. They have a contest to see who can perform the most reps with 190lbs. I would put money on the 700lb bench presser performing more reps. Now, we might say that the 200lb guy isn't limited by strength, he just can't keep it up for a long enough amount of time, and this would be true, but I would argue that he IS effectively limited by his max strength, because if his max strength were better than 200lb, it would almost certainly increase the number of reps he could perform at 190lb.

People trot out this fallacious argument from time to time, but it flawed. For starters, as roady mentioned the forces involved in cycling are so far removed from maximal strength that your analogy is incorrect. More importantly, though, there is essentially no relationship between the fraction or percentage of maximal force and time to fatigue when said forces are so low. Or, to put it another way: dynamic exercise and isometric exercise (which is where the notion of relative forces arises) are two completely different animals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
".....I mean, hey, if its all related, then those 6 hour rides should improve your squat anyway, right? "

Well take a cyclist and a swimmer at roughly the same level in there respective sports. My bet is the swimmer will be able to do a heavier max lat pull down and the cyclist will be able to do a heavier squat, so yes 6 hour rides should improve your squat.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Andrew,
I'm just casually following this thread, can you expand on your reply?

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Beats me. But that's not too out of line with what Hickson and Marcinik showed is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, so judgemental, as usual.

You should know there are plenty of valid reasons why good studies do not get published (from not adding much new knowledge, losing out to "more compelling" papers, to going against the bias of some editor, etc.). Not being published, in and of itself, is not particularly good evidence that the study wasn't well conducted. Pretty much every journal that I have seen once or twice a year publishes a supplement. In anesthesia it used to be quite thick and would consist of thousands of abstracts of studies that were submitted but didn't make the cut but that the editors thought the membership might want to know about. And, then there are all the poster exhibits at the meetings. They aren't published either. Why does anyone even bother seeing what they say?

Your criticism of papers simply because they have not been published or are not published in the "right" journal doesn't say much for you as a "scientist" I am afraid.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I haven't read the first three articles, but I've always maintained that the shorter the event, the more necessary drillss, hills, and plyometric type training is. The longer the event, the les important they are. For elite 5K runner, plyos are still fairly important.

But if running economy improves, at least teorethically, it would be useful along all durations, in particular when fuel availability is critical such as the marathon.

BTW recently I've read the new book of Dr. Mc Greggor and it proposes hill sprint training even in the marathon program, perhaps Dr Mc Greggor may comment.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [lrobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

More intriguing perhaps, at least for me, is the relationship more recently found between more standard máximal strenght training and running economy:

Maximal Strength Training Improves Running Economy in Distance Runners

That study mentions an increase in time to exhaustion, which seems to come up in cycling as well.

Resistance Training Leads to Altered Muscle Fiber Type Composition and Enhanced Long-term Cycling Performance in Elite Competitive Cyclists

The same group also has this one: Maximal Strength Training Improves Cycling Economy in Competitive Cyclists

In both cases I've only read the abstract, perhaps Dr. Coggan can comment.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Two comments:

1) I don't think anyone here - not even Frank - can be accussed of playing a "shell game" with definitions.

Actually, I think you could be accused of such. You know very well what people are talking about when the talk about "strength" on the bike and strength training for the bike. You know very well they are not talking about 1 rep max strength, the only definition you seem to accept, yet you will not engage them in this discussion.

There is only one accepted definition of strength. Until people understand it, and how it differs from other physiological determinants of performance in various sports, it is really pointless to try to go any further.

Oh phoeey. There may only one accepted definition of strength if one is trying to earn one's PhD in exercise physiology, but to everyone else there are lots of definitions of strength and some of them out of the dictionaries that ordinary people use have been copied and pasted into this link. You use this argument to avoid discussing what they are trying to say. As I posted earlier, these people are trying to discuss a concept for which there is no accepted definition because if there were I am sure you would have told us what it was. So, discuss the concept. Forget your anal need to hold on to this definition about which no one is talking.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

2) While it certainly possible that future studies might demonstrate a beneficial effect of weight training on endurance cycling performance in competitive cyclists*, that would not:

A) change the fact that no such studies have been published* as of today;

according to you this is settled science and there is no possiblity that anyone who think otherwise could possibly be right

No, all I am saying is that, as of today, no published study* has shown that strength training improves endurance cycling performance in trained cyclists (whereas about a half-dozen have reported that it does not). Again, you can only go by the data that are available (wasn't this a point you were harping on previously in this thread?).

This says more to me about your "science" skills than a lot you spout here. Scientists are supposed to be observers. They observe the world around them and they listen to others who are observing the world. That is what Darwin did. He observed the world and determined there should be changes in the accepted version of things. He was able to come to this conclusion without the help of a single published study and he went against what "everyone"accepted as being true and having been "proven" in the bible - it is there, it has to be true - sort of like your view of your journals. Scientists use studies to confirm their observations as being valid or to investigate hypotheses that explain mechanisms to explain the observations. Your anal need for everything to be in the journals and if what people are observing ain't there already means cannot possibly be anything to it is beneath a real scientist.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

B) necessarily mean that these putative newer studies are correct and older studies are wrong, and/or;

Huh? What a stupid argument.

It's not a "stupid argument", but simply a statement of fact: the publication of new data does not necessarily mean that prior data are automatically wrong or obsolete.

It is a stupid argument because you cannot possibly know what the new study shows. A single study can conclusively show that everything before it was wrong. It has happened many times before. It will happen again.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:

Until the study is done and the data is analyzed one cannot say anything about any future study.

Precisely my point - thank you for helping me make it.

That was not your point, see above.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:
C) prove that strength, per se, plays a role in determining endurance cycling performance.

No, I'm saying that you need to distinguish between the role of strength, per se, and the putative benefits of strength training - these are two different issues, since strength training can potential impact other aspects of physiological function as well (e.g., improve running economy in runners, presumably by "stiffening their springs").

Again, you are holding to your anal definition of strength which is not what many here are trying to talk about. Again, they are using the term strength as a substitute for a term that doesn't exist. They are using it in the lay sense. A sense that almost everyone but you seems to understand.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:
*As the saying goes in science, if it isn't published, it doesn't exist (which is just pithy way of saying that the onus is upon generating the data to share it with the world if they hope to convince people that it/they is/are correct).
In Reply To:

If it isn't published it doesn't exist. LOL.

In science, if it isn't published it is as if it doesn't exist. IOW, publication is how data are "vetted" for mass consumption; failure to publish therefore means that no one wants to accept your results (and they can't cite them even if they wished to).

See my earlier reply about the many studies that are not published by made available to the scientific community throug poster board sessions and supplemental publications that only deal with abstracts. Publication is not proof a study is well done and not being published is not proof a study is worthless.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:
Lance and Carmichael write an article on how he trains and why and "because it isn't in a peer reviewed journal" it should be ignored. Lance trains with weights and because we know about it only from Youtube, it should be ignored? Is that what you are saying?

Yes (especially considering that Carmichael/Armstrong are well-known for their attempts to play head-games with their competition...consider, for example, the report in VeloNews today that Armstrong is as fit now as he was in April of most of his Tour-winning years. Fact, or fiction?).

Ugh, if you say so. Remember that real scientist = unbiased observer. Now we know you can't fill the unbiased part of that equation.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:
Well, if you say "there is no evidence" ever you are most certainly almost always wrong. A more correct response would be "the preponderance of evidence I am aware of shows" but an even better responspe would be "I interpret the evidence to show" But, to say there is "no evidence" is crazy.

By "no evidence" I mean "no published papers". IOW, I'm not relying on "the preponderance of the evidence" or even how I interpret, but merely stating a verifiable fact.

I have earlier criticize your reliance on published papers. My criticism stands.
In Reply To:

In Reply To:
In Reply To:
One of the reasons that I'm always so vociferous about this topic is in hopes of stimulating someone, somewhere, to try to prove me wrong. After nearly two decades of posting such comments to the web, though, it still hasn't happened.

LOL. Who here do you think is going to have the resources to do a "proper" study and get it published in a peer reviewed journal to "prove you wrong".

I know for a fact some of Armstrong's closest and longest-standing advisors monitor this and/or other groups to which I post (hi Dean!). So, too, does the head physiologist for the AIS (hi Dave!), those who work with the Cervelo TestTeam (hi Damon), one of the leading cycling biomechanists in the world (hi Jim!), etc. As well, a number of my other academic colleagues read lists such as this one, not to mention the myriad number of graduate students out there who are still transitioning in their identify from athlete to scientist. IOW, web forums such as this have far greater reach than you seem to realize.

Now, let's see. Above you state you don't believe a thing Lance or Carmichael write and yet you tell us now that you are in contact with some of Lance's closest and longest standing advisors (Hi Dave!). Have you ever thought of simply asking them what the story is? Apparently not. So much for scientific inquisitiveness.
In Reply To:

(And while I was typing the above, who should call me on my cell phone but Dean...how ironic!)

And, did you ask him what the story was on any of those articles?

--------------
Frank,
Last edited by: Frank Day: Jan 21, 10 16:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phooey indeed.

Sure there are a lot of definitions of strength. As it pertains to this discussion Andy has the right one.

But keep up the misdirection, we all find it so amusing.

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Phooey indeed.

Sure there are a lot of definitions of strength. As it pertains to this discussion Andy has the right one.

But keep up the misdirection, we all find it so amusing.
He may have the right one for him. It has, unfortunately, no relationship to what everyone else is talking about.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just duct tape a twinkie atop a sheeps ass, and you wont hear from that guy for a few days.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [way U-23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just duct tape a twinkie atop a sheeps ass, and you wont hear from that guy for a few days.
My wife was trying to get through to Uverse for the second time (after she had been cut off) to "discuss" a billing problem. When the computer asked her why she was calling she yelled into the phone "aggravation". I had just stopped laughting when I read this. Tears are rolling down the cheeks again. Thanks.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
He may have the right one for him. It has, unfortunately, no relationship to what everyone else is talking about.

You need to stop arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Adequately defining 'strength' as it relates to exercise is imperative if one wants to discuss 'strength' as it relates to performance. Otherwise, words simply have no meaning. I use 'strength' all the time in the vernacular to describe someone with a high level of fitness--everyone I know does as well. However, in the context of a discussion of how 'strength' affects performance, you have to stick with the accepted definition or the issue becomes confused.

The accepted scientific definition of muscular strength is the maximum amount of force which can be exerted against an object. This is the commonly excepted definition. Pretending otherwise, just because you want to argue with someone, suits no purpose. The definition isn't 'anal', 'overly narrow', and it's completely related to the discussion, whether you like it or not.

Quite frankly, the incorrect use of the terminology is one of the main reasons that people are often confused into believing that strength is an important factor in endurance cycling performance.

If you want to make up your own language, though, that's fine. It's kinda what I expect, anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Misdirection, part of the Snake Oil Salesman's Toolkit.

Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

You need to stop arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Adequately defining 'strength' as it relates to exercise is imperative if one wants to discuss 'strength' as it relates to performance. Otherwise, words simply have no meaning. I use 'strength' all the time in the vernacular to describe someone with a high level of fitness--everyone I know does as well. However, in the context of a discussion of how 'strength' affects performance, you have to stick with the accepted definition or the issue becomes confused.

The accepted scientific definition of muscular strength is the maximum amount of force which can be exerted against an object. This is the commonly excepted definition. Pretending otherwise, just because you want to argue with someone, suits no purpose. The definition isn't 'anal', 'overly narrow', and it's completely related to the discussion, whether you like it or not.

Quite frankly, the incorrect use of the terminology is one of the main reasons that people are often confused into believing that strength is an important factor in endurance cycling performance.

If you want to make up your own language, though, that's fine. It's kinda what I expect, anyway.
I doubt Dan wants to restrict this site to those formally trained in exercise science. So, ordinary people using ordinary use of words tend to post. The problem with Coggan is he is not able to enage those who are using the vernacular usage of words. Instead he simply comes here and calls the idiots for their imprecise use of technical jargon and can't engage them in what they were trying to mean.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I doubt Dan wants to restrict this site to those formally trained in exercise science. So, ordinary people using ordinary use of words tend to post. The problem with Coggan is he is not able to enage those who are using the vernacular usage of words. Instead he simply comes here and calls the idiots for their imprecise use of technical jargon and can't engage them in what they were trying to mean.

I'm not trained in exercise science. I understand the difference between the vernacular use of the word and it's accepted scientific definition. I think if one wants to participate in a discussion regarding 'strength' as it relates to performance, it's incumbent upon them to understand the terms being used. Otherwise, the result is that people think they'll increase their threshold power by lifting weights....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well thank goodness he does choose one definition or we may never know what we are discussing. At least I know when Andy speaks about strength, it means the maximum one can lift. Otherwise we may never know what someone is going on about. Listing a million different definitions of strength only serves to cloud and confuse the matter. But that is the way Frank likes things.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Here...I'll make it all easy for everyone. Let's redefine "strength" to mean being able to push hard on the pedals for REALLY long periods of time. After all, that's what most people mean when they say someone is a "strong cyclist", right? Great.

The best thing about this is that NOW when the question is asked "Does strength training improve steady-state cycling ability?", the answer can be a resounding "YES!"

Of course, the follow-up question will be "OK then, what kind of 'strength training' is the MOST effective for my cycling, particularly for triathlon bike legs."

Naturally, the best answers will be something like "2 x 20mins at your 1 hour sustainable power." :-/

Are you happy now??

If you redefine "strength" to be something less precise than it actually is, then you also need to redefine "strength training" to be much less precise as well...otherwise everyone is comparing apples to oranges.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next