Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

My point is if you recovered all of your FTP power by "just trying harder" and none of your 5 sec power there must be an explanation beyond "trying harder". There has to be an explanation as to why you were able to recover one and not the other. I haven't heard one yet from you or anyone else that makes any sense.

The explanation is pretty much the central theme of this entire thread: that leg strength has an influence on neuromuscular/5 second power, but not on threshold power.

The fact that this explanation is lost on you certainly isn't surprising to anyone.
While it may be a central theme to you and others, it doesn't make any sense to me, that these two points are entirely decoupled. All I have asked for is some supporting data.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you doing roady ... your fingers just need a work out or what ;-) Trying to be *logical* w/ Dr. Day? He wants DATA ... LOL!

Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a crack up - how stupid is he, every post he makes he sounds dumber and dumber and his reputation just slides further down the drain. Far out, let him run with it, it is entertaining to see such open displays of ignorance and stupidity.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Jimtraci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I never mentioned anything about "max rep strength." It means nothing to me. I've never attempted a max squat - I don't care squat about what I can squat.

I merely contend that strength, as it relates to cycling, plays a part in one's success - as do lots of other things. As it relates to cycling, strength is not irrelevant.

BTW- do you have the contact info for Haile Gebrselassie? Based on what I've learned here - I think he has a legitimate shot at the Cycling TT World Champs.

JR

Jim,

I don't know what your background is, but it clearly isn't in exercise physiology. By definition, how much someone can squat just one time (i.e., their 1 RM) IS a measure of their strength, and in a movement reasonably comparable to the cycling motion. That is why, e.g., there is a signifcant correlation between 1 RM during a squat and the time required to cover the 1st 25 m of a standing start on the track. OTOH, strength does NOT play a role in determining endurance cycling performance - thus, you are simply contradicting yourself when you claim that it does, yet say that you "don't care squat about (what I can) squat".

As for Gebrselassie, again you are displaying your lack of understanding in this area. The reason that someone such as he would not make a very good cyclist (at least w/o training on the bike) isn't because of a lack of strength, but because he lacks the specific muscular metabolic and vascular adaptations in the muscles he would use when cycling to achieve a high level of performance. Indeed, because of this it is highly unlikely he could even achieve VO2max when pedaling an ergometer (although his VO2peak would probably be rather high...just not as high as his true VO2max).
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jan 20, 10 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Alex Simmons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
being a crafty sort of racer I will be finding other ways to win given my significantly changed power profile, like I did on the weekend.

Although I'm sure it pains your ears to recall my lame attempt at an Aussie accent, let me still say:

Good on ya, mate!

:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I never mentioned anything about "max rep strength." It means nothing to me. I've never attempted a max squat - I don't care squat about what I can squat.

I merely contend that strength, as it relates to cycling, plays a part in one's success - as do lots of other things. As it relates to cycling, strength is not irrelevant.

BTW- do you have the contact info for Haile Gebrselassie? Based on what I've learned here - I think he has a legitimate shot at the Cycling TT World Champs.

JR

Jim,

I don't know what your background is, but it clearly isn't in exercise physiology. By definition, how much someone can squat just one time (i.e., their 1 RM) IS a measure of their strength, and in a movement reasonably comparable to the cycling motion. That is why, e.g., there is a signifcant correlation between 1 RM during a squat and the time required to cover the 1st 25 m of a standing start on the track. OTOH, strength does NOT play a role in determining endurance cycling performance - thus, you are simply contradicting yourself when you claim that it does, yet say that you "don't care squat about what (I can) squat".

As for Gebrselassie, again you are displaying your lack of understanding in this area. The reason that someone such as he would not make a very good cyclist (at least w/o training on the bike) isn't because of a lack of strength, but because he lacks the specific muscular metabolic and vascular adaptations in the muscles he would use when cycling to achieve a high level of performance. Indeed, because of this it is highly unlikely he could even achieve VO2max when pedaling an ergometer (although his VO2peak would probably be rather high...just not as high as his true VO2max).

I simply do not understand your need to inflict others with continued academic bullying. Several things:

1. While, as you state, in exercise physiology "how much someone can squat just one time (i.e., their 1 RM) IS a measure of their strength" I would like to point out that you did not say how much someone can squat just one time (i.e., their 1 RM) IS THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE measure of their strength. It is clear that your definition is not the only definition of strength allowed by exercise physiologists.
2. This is the internet. Few people at a site like this have similar backgrounds. People here tend to use lay definitions when discussing topics, not technical jargon.
3. I believe the discussion is mostly about strength training and not max single leg squat strength. Single leg squat strength has nothing to do with "strength training" as people use the term here. Even as you used the term it may even nothing to do with 5 sec power, since 5 sec power involves many more repetitions than one, at least the way most pedal anyway.

--------------
Frank,
Last edited by: Frank Day: Jan 20, 10 7:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

If you are talking about "strength" then you are talking about "max rep strength" or at the very least "low rep strength." If you are talking about any number of reps lasting more than a minute, you are talking about endurance. Provided that you aren't redefining strength as something other than it is, then no, strength is not relavent to cycling, running, swimming, or any other *endurance* event.

Yes, it kinda sorta makes sense that it would if you think about it.....but that doesn't make it true. Andrew Coggan who has a Phd in this field and directly studies cyclists has posted this several times.

The best I can describe this to you is to think of it this way: If you want a car to go the most miles on a tank of gas, would putting a more powerful engine into the car help? Relating this to muscular strength, you would contend that it would because the more powerful engine would move the car "more easily." The problem is, the more powerful engine uses more gas to do it.

The bottom line is, you need to tranfer energy into velocity and do that for very very long periods of time at very low percentages of maximum strength. Strength is not the limiting factor, just like engine size isn't if you are only driving 50 mph. What IS the limiting factor is how effeciently your fuel system works and how big of a gas tank you have.

Lance armstrong is a killer cyclist because his body is extremely efficient at being aerobic. Rasmussen, you know....that guy with the super super skinny legs....is also an awesome cyclist for the same reason.

If strength means something else to you......like a "strong cyclist" is someone who can "push a big gear for hours at a time".....then what you are really talking about is endurance and I don't think anyone will disagree with you. However, just because you call that "strong" doesn't mean that it relates in anyway to building muscles that can be very powerful for small amounts of time.

Re - Haile: I wouldn't be surpirsed if we could become a good cyclist, just like Lance isn't a bad distance runner. What you don't see are elite weight lifters being any good whatsoever at either.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I simply do not understand your need to inflict others with continued academic bullying.

Sometimes the only way to get through to people is to be blunt about it. Since Jim is posting here, I assume that he is adult enough to not take it as a personal affront when someone disagrees with his opinions.

In Reply To:
Several things:

1. While, as you state, in exercise physiology "how much someone can squat just one time (i.e., their 1 RM) IS a measure of their strength" I would like to point out that you did not say how much someone can squat just one time (i.e., their 1 RM) IS THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE measure of their strength.

So?

In Reply To:
It is clear that your definition is not the only definition of strength allowed by exercise physiologists.

Sorry, but no: while there have been attempts by some to redefine strength as something other than the maximal force generating capacity of a muscle (or muscle group), such attempts have not gained any traction. Case-in-point: the American College of Sports Medicine still defines muscular strength as I have used the term.

In Reply To:
2. This is the internet. Few people at a site like this have similar backgrounds. People here tend to use lay definitions when discussing topics, not technical jargon.

Precise communication of precise ideas requires precise use of precise terminology. To do otherwise merely confuses things (as Jim's repeated inability to draw the distinction between strength and power/fitness clearly demonstrates).

In Reply To:
3. I believe the discussion is mostly about strength training and not max single leg squat strength.

While that may or may not be true, it really has nothing to do with my reply to Jim.

In Reply To:
Single leg squat strength has nothing to do with "strength training" as people use the term here.

Thank you for supporting my point re. how people often fail to use correct terminology (although I disagree with your claim per se).

In Reply To:
Even as you used the term it may even nothing to do with 5 sec power, since 5 sec power involves many more repetitions than one, at least the way most pedal anyway.

Again, thank you for supporting me: strength and power are different things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ex Phys is not my strong suit - buy my wife has her Master's in ex phys, so I guess that makes me somewhat of an expert. I also hang out with a lot of ex phys people. In general - they think too much;)

So forgive my ignorance, but aren't you saying Gebrselassie can't push hard enough on the pedals?

JR

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you consider running hills a form of strength building for runners - or if you feel running hills will improve running "strength," then I think we have the same understanding.

Make sense?

JR

Jimmy
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I know is now I'm going to go ride my bike more in a bigger gear so I can get my the amount of weight I can squat higher.

damn it, how come I can never get pink font? I'm blaming google chrome.

Frank, AC did reference something about 25% of a standing track start being strength related, which leaves 75% of it metabolism related. I'm not sure, bc I haven't had enough caffeine yet to think clearly but to me the low hanging fruit is the 75%.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:

If you are talking about "strength" then you are talking about "max rep strength" or at the very least "low rep strength." If you are talking about any number of reps lasting more than a minute, you are talking about endurance. Provided that you aren't redefining strength as something other than it is, then no, strength is not relavent to cycling, running, swimming, or any other *endurance* event.

More than a minute and you are talking "endurance"? Really? I think one could talk about 50 rep strength, or 100 rep strength, or 1000 rep strength without needing to call it 1000 rep endurance. Strength does not have a single definition. There is no "redefining" strength. One must define what they are talking about each time one talks about "strength" or people are going to be confuse.
In Reply To:

Yes, it kinda sorta makes sense that it would if you think about it.....but that doesn't make it true. Andrew Coggan who has a Phd in this field and directly studies cyclists has posted this several times.

Coggan's definitions are so narrow they are essentially irrelevant to what the poster is talking about.
In Reply To:

The best I can describe this to you is to think of it this way: If you want a car to go the most miles on a tank of gas, would putting a more powerful engine into the car help? Relating this to muscular strength, you would contend that it would because the more powerful engine would move the car "more easily." The problem is, the more powerful engine uses more gas to do it.

The bottom line is, you need to tranfer energy into velocity and do that for very very long periods of time at very low percentages of maximum strength. Strength is not the limiting factor, just like engine size isn't if you are only driving 50 mph. What IS the limiting factor is how effeciently your fuel system works and how big of a gas tank you have.

Not necessarily. If one has a 50 hp car and the same car with a 51 hp engine there will be essentially zero difference in gas mileage when cruising but one will climb better. Which engine would race better? Aren't we talking about race performance and not just "gas mileage". It is not clear that the analogy works in humans but I think that is the appropriate analogy.
In Reply To:

Lance armstrong is a killer cyclist because his body is extremely efficient at being aerobic. Rasmussen, you know....that guy with the super super skinny legs....is also an awesome cyclist for the same reason.

Of course Lance has a huge aerobic engine. But, what of all those videos of Lance doing strength training using those weight things? This is sort of like those who don't think pedaling style doesn't matter and ignoring that recent article where it states Lance works on that also. Maybe it doesn't make any difference and Lance is wasting his time but for many it is hard to ignore what he does based upon his results.

--------------
Frank,
Last edited by: Frank Day: Jan 20, 10 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running hills is one way to improve running economy. Improved economy leads to improved performance over a wide variety of terrain.

Instead of thinking strength, substitute economy for running and efficiency for cycling if using a powermeter

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ex Phys is not my strong suit - buy my wife has her Master's in ex phys, so I guess that makes me somewhat of an expert.

My wife sleeps with a PhD exercise physiologist - does that mean she is more of an expert than you? ;-)

In Reply To:
So forgive my ignorance, but aren't you saying Gebrselassie can't push hard enough on the pedals?

Of course he can - the problem is that he can't do it frequently enough/keep it up for a long enough period of time.

(BTW, when TTing my AEPF is approximately the same as Lance Armstrong's - he just turns the cranks ~33% more often than I do, thus producing ~33% more power.)
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jan 20, 10 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank, AC did reference something about 25% of a standing track start being strength related, which leaves 75% of it metabolism related. I'm not sure, bc I haven't had enough caffeine yet to think clearly but to me the low hanging fruit is the 75%.

Stone et al. found that the R between 25 m time and various measures of strength was ~0.7, so R^2 (fraction of variance in common) was ~0.5. That still leaves ~50% of the variation in performance apparently explained by other factors (e.g., reaction time, starting technique).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is true, do you do a lot lifting with your legs? If so, how often and what do you do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Coggan's definitions are so narrow they are essentially irrelevant to what the poster is talking about.

My definitions are the accepted definitions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I simply do not understand your need to inflict others with continued academic bullying.

Sometimes the only way to get through to people is to be blunt about it. Since Jim is posting here, I assume that he is adult enough to not take it as a personal affront when someone disagrees with his opinions.

In Reply To:
Several things:

1. While, as you state, in exercise physiology "how much someone can squat just one time (i.e., their 1 RM) IS a measure of their strength" I would like to point out that you did not say how much someone can squat just one time (i.e., their 1 RM) IS THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE measure of their strength.

So?

In Reply To:
It is clear that your definition is not the only definition of strength allowed by exercise physiologists.

Sorry, but no: while there have been attempts by some to redefine strength as something other than the maximal force generating capacity of a muscle (or muscle group), such attempts have not gained any traction. Case-in-point: the American College of Sports Medicine still defines muscular strength as I have used the term.

In Reply To:

Precise communication of precise ideas requires precise use of precise terminology. To do otherwise merely confuses things (as Jim's repeated inability to draw the distinction between strength and power/fitness clearly demonstrates).

In Reply To:
3. I believe the discussion is mostly about strength training and not max single leg squat strength.

While that may or may not be true, it really has nothing to do with my reply to Jim.

In Reply To:
Single leg squat strength has nothing to do with "strength training" as people use the term here.

Thank you for supporting my point re. how people often fail to use correct terminology (although I disagree with your claim per se).

In Reply To:
Even as you used the term it may even nothing to do with 5 sec power, since 5 sec power involves many more repetitions than one, at least the way most pedal anyway.

Again, thank you for supporting me: strength and power are different things.
Dr. Coggan,

Of course strength and power are different things. But, you are insisting upon using your technical jargon definition of strength on this non-technical site where the vast majority of the people here use an ordinary dictionary definition of strength. For instance, here is one:

strength (strngkth, strngth, strnth)n.1. The state, property, or quality of being strong.2. The power to resist attack; impregnability.3. The power to resist strain or stress; durability.4. The ability to maintain a moral or intellectual position firmly.5. Capacity or potential for effective action: a show of strength.6. a. The number of people constituting a normal or ideal organization: The police force has been at half strength since the budget cuts.b. Military capability in terms of personnel and materiel: an army of fearsome strength.7. a. A source of power or force.b. One that is regarded as the embodiment of protective or supportive power; a support or mainstay.c. An attribute or quality of particular worth or utility; an asset.8. Degree of intensity, force, effectiveness, or potency in terms of a particular property, as:a. Degree of concentration, distillation, or saturation; potency.b. Operative effectiveness or potency.c. Intensity, as of sound or light.d. Intensity or vehemence, as of emotion or language.9. Effective or binding force; efficacy: the strength of an argument.10. Firmness of or a continuous rising tendency in prices, as on the stock market.11. Games Power derived from the value of playing cards held.

Here is another definition found when searching specifically for the definition of "muscular strength".

Definition: Strength refers to a muscle's ability to generate force against physical objects. In the fitness world, this typically refers to how much weight you can lift for different strength training exercises. The type of resistance can include dumbbells, barbells, resistance bands, machines, cables or your own body. When lifting heavy weight, you increase strength, muscle size and connective tissues such as ligaments and tendons.

I see nothing in this definition that requires it to be for only a single repetition.

You state the ACSM defines muscular strength "as you use the term". Perhaps you could direct us to where that specific definition, that is referring to one rep squat strength, could be found. I would be surprised since squat strength involves a chain of muscle contractions in a specific coordination and doesn't directly measure any single muscle contraction force. After all, we all want to be using the terms precisely, using the same definition, if possible. Perhaps you could help us all out here? Thanks in advance.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [hhoffman13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If this is true, do you do a lot lifting with your legs? If so, how often and what do you do?
I don't do any lifting except when I am trying to muscle one of my exercise machines into and out of the car.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank,

Are you off your meds again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

My definitions are the accepted definitions.
As I asked earlier perhaps you could direct us to the source of your definitions for a little "fact checking". thanks.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [JustCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank,

Are you off your meds again?
Yes.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

this really sums up this thread, and JR's responses, to a 'T'. He's using 'strength' as a proxy for metabolic fitness. That's fine and all, until it then leads to faulty conclusions, such as 'stronger legs=stronger cyclist'.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength Training, Science vs N=1 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Running hills is one way to improve running economy. Improved economy leads to improved performance over a wide variety of terrain.

Instead of thinking strength, substitute economy for running and efficiency for cycling if using a powermeter

You're killing me, man.

Hill running is considered a strength workout. It's too late to erase all the published materials that call it that. Go with it.

"Just running" is the best way to improve running economy. So of course hill running will help with that, too. But to me, improvement in running economy, is not the primary reason for running hills.

JR

Jimmy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
you are insisting upon using your technical jargon definition of strength on this non-technical site where the vast majority of the people here use an ordinary dictionary definition of strength.

And, as roady points out, therein lies the problem. We are discussing exercise physiology here, ergo, to avoid confusion one must use the definition of strength as is accepted in that field.

In Reply To:
You state the ACSM defines muscular strength "as you use the term". Perhaps you could direct us to where that specific definition, that is referring to one rep squat strength, could be found. I would be surprised

The ACSM uses the same definition of strength as used by The President's Council on Physical Fitness (cf. ACMS's Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, 8th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins, 2010, p. 86). The President's Council defines muscular strength as:

"a health-related component of physical fitness that relates to the ability of the muscle to exert force..."

then goes on to comment that:

"Like flexibility and muscular endurance, strength is specific in nature. For true assessment it would be necessary to test each major muscle group of the body. Lab and field tests are similar and involve the assessment of one repetition maximum (the maximum amount of resistance you can overcome one time)."

(cf. http://www.fitness.gov/digest_mar2000.htm)

Notably, the President's Council definition in turn is based upon a Surgeon General's Report from 1996, which in turn is based upon Costill and Wilmore's well-known textbook. I chose the 3rd edition of the latter text for use by USA Cycling's Coaching Education program, and recently used the 4th edition when teaching a master's level course in exercise physiology at a nearby chiropractic school. Unchanged from the 1st three editions, the 4th edition defines muscular strength as:

"the maximal force that a muscle or muscle group can generate..."

and goes on to use 1 RM as an example of how strength can be measured.

(Wilmore JH, Costill DL, Kenney WL. Physiology of Sport and Exercise, 4th ed. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2008, p. 188.)
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jan 20, 10 9:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next