Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In an interesting development Ironman New Zealand has announced that WTC is allocating 20 extra Kona spots to their race next year as part the IMNZ's 30th anniversary,10 spots to the general qualifiers and 10 to a lottery allocation.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like!! LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [drtommy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Ray Canuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Athletes don't stay as long? I've heard the opposite. Myself and many others spent a full week in June or July at a training camp of sorts, theres some cash infusion into the town from renting a house, dinners, morning coffees, etc. And on Ironman Week 95% of the places I tried to book at told me its a minimum 5 night stay, thats 6 days in town. I also had 10 friends and 4 family members come into town to support, many had to rent the house for the whole week. The family members were gouged at a hotel because they could only stay 2-3 nights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there are a couple of things of note, the first obvious one being that we all likely only know half the story.

The City had granted a license for Fraser and not WTC. It has been reported that Penticton tried to get WTC involved in meetings once they found out that IMC was back with WTC but WTC didn't bother to reply or meet. At least that is what the City reported. What were Penticton to do at that point? Nothing? Or cover their asses and look elsewhere?

I doubt the City wanted to gamble with their revenue generating event. Something must have happened, or at least a series of things happen, maybe over a few years, for them to think that despite all of that revenue they might be better off elsewhere.

So despite what we all think, despite our concerns, despite our thoughts on where WTC wll go, which will be the better course, whether WTC organised a great race. I think the crux of the matter is probably more simple than that. It also would not surprise me to find it was a balls up on WTC's part due to either a lack of communication or sheer bloody mindedness. If they came to the table with a great race and great package for Penticton they would likely still be there now.

With a great course, a city that understands and embraces an iron distance event, a history, enough hotels and logistics, a bunch of athletes already signed up, a volunteer base already in place .... wherever WTC goes Challenge is looking likely to be a success. Taking what is there, listening to people (which they seem particularly good at) and trying to make it better. Is not a 100% dead cert but looking at the facts they are in an incredibly comfortable position for a new event and have made a whole ton of friends over last weekend in Penticton.

Wherever IMC goes, I hope they do well ..... but, long live Challenge Penticton.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said Tom, this is exactly what I have been thinking about. As a 10 time penticton finisher & a23 time wtc ironman race finisher I think that taking the ironman brand out of the race may be a huge mistake. The race has evolved over the years, & change may be hard to see but like it or not the brand sells & 30 years is a long time to build the race into what it was. It was a legendary race that I was proud to participate in for the 10th time this yr! I love penticton & the okanagan, but probably won't participate in the challenge race.
The other financial downside is the qualifying races. Will there be a lower participant count for these races due to no ironman Canada qualifying spots or will spots get rolled to the new ironman cabada race? I stayed in summerland this year & the motel said that they are usually almost booked up for the following year the day after the race. Well guess what,they only had one room booked for next year! This could be a huge mistake financially for the okanagan area.as most communities see some sort of economic benifits from the race.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drtommy wrote:
Ray, welcome to ST :) and thanks for the support you gave me in the past. I wore your logo to 2nd place at IMC in 2003. Thanks again. Your optimism about the new race is welcome and refreshing however I have not been privy to much positive talk about the change. Most non athletes feel it is too risky when you look at the financial impact of the race. A local business owner said "long distance tri is a one brand market...kinda like UFC and mixed martial arts" If you look at the numbers a 160K investment to guarantee a 10 million return is a dream scenario. To gamble with this return, to me is a very irresponsible move on the city's behalf. WTC is far from perfect, just like the rest of the world, but they would fill our town the last weekend in august.

I have done many WTC races as a pro and agegrouper. I have never had any issues personally. I can empathize with the complaints that I hear and read but do not feel they justify such a drastic move. I don't think many of the changes have anything to do with the event organizers. In the last 10 years the number of races a person can choose from has exploded. People are stretched to the limit with their time and finances. In the last 5 years I have seen the majority of racers show up 2 days before an IM race (Hawaii is 4 or 5). How does this new race proposal of a week long festival like in the past intend to overcome this uber busy lifestyle that all type A triathlete live? Will relay racers come here a week early or stay in a hotel for a week to train here?How do you overcome the brand power of IM races? I don't see anyone making a run at the UFC market or the IM market....love it or hate it. Penticton is a small remote town that is difficult and expensive to get to for those not driving. Germany is 82 million in a small area with many major airports. I don't think Roth is a valid comparison. Perhaps Challenge Wanaka...1300 racers. Penticton has been very lucky to host such a successful event for so many years. Like Chris said it's a win win win event for this small town. We should be happy to get the same deal as Coeur d'Alene and fill our town for many years to come.

I also think no Kona slots will have a bigger impact than expected with racers from the USA. The ones who come here to train and race. 45% of the racers this year. They are the ones who spend the most money here. Some poster here on ST feel our race has been degraded. Less Kona spots (but the same as
Coeur d'Alene). Less prize money for pros (I do not agree with this) but the same as CDA. The average agegrouper does not really care. The proximity of our race to kona is what killed the pro race here. In the past pros would race here due to very limited options. Now there are so many races why would any pro do an IM 7 weeks before Kona?

On a personal level my plan for next year was to do IMC and then hopefully Kona. My first year in the 45-49 agegroup. Now what? I was crushed when I found out my girls would never hear me announced as the previous winner 5 or 10 years from now. At an age when they would understand that their fat beer drinking dad use to be fast. I am very aware my personal reasons mean nothing to anyone but the financial impact of the race means a lot to many. With WTC the return of 3000 money spending triathletes every august was guaranteed.

Like I have said before I really hope for the sake of the town and the race we love that the new race is a huge success. Only time will tell.

Please show my post to the mayor. Ask him what the contingency plan is if the new race starts to cost this town millions. I know some will benefit from the change to a more historical race but I am thinking of the town in general. Very risky indeed.

Regards, Tom

Tom, very well said.

And I do hope your kids get to watch their fat beer drinking dad cross a finish line, and while it may not be at IMC where you'd be announced as a former winner, perhaps they might see you cross first in the 45-49 group in Kona.

As for the week long Challenge festival, how about adding the "Penticton to Apex Upill tri". Let's get the imaginations running wild with that one! It could be awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [ironmancam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just watched this from this year’s event in Roth...
most commentary is in German but it's a good production
can't really see why this race is much different or why one would shun it

http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When my husband and I read an article about IMC in a German triathlon magazine in the 90s, we were really impressed and thought "How cool would it be to do that race one day !"
In 2006 we raced IMC for the first time and then came back to Penticton to race in 07, 09, 10 and 12.
We will keep returning for sure, as we love the race, the course, the volunteers and the community. Penticton has become kind of second home for us and it's always great to stay for a week or 10 days and travel further through Western Canada after the race.
I'm absolutely sure that Challenge will put on a top notch event.
I remember racing in Roth, when it was the first Challenge race after being "Ironman Europe" before.
That year, there were less competitors than the years before, but it was still a fantastic event with it's typical spirit and nothing had changed, except you couldn't qualify for Kona. Now it is the biggest race in Europe and at highest quality.
If we can manage to travel overseas next year again (hope so, otherwise in 2014 ), we look forward to race Challenge Penticton.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is turning out that IMC is becoming too much of a hot potato for some cities to host it, Kelowna included. The Kelowna city councillor I know stated that Civic operations director Joe Creron and transportation services manager Darryl Astofooroff have stated they will categorically oppose the timing and quantity of road closures that the World Triathlon Corporation is requesting, and that they would not support Kelowna going forward with a bid to the WTC. Out of the cities the WTC has shortlisted, Vancouver is not supporting it - as well as the number of respondents required to sign off before Sept 24 making it impossible - Translink, Vancouver Parks Board, Vancouver City Police, RCMP, etc, Neither is Victoria, Neither is Whistler - with only one highway in and out, the all day partial closure is not supported by the Ministry of Transportation at this time - although there is support at the municipal level in Whistler. Kamloops and Vernon are coming out as favourites, though it will all come down to the competitive bidding process. The WTC is making presentations to some Alberta communities - Cold Lake, Sylvan Lake, Sturgeon County/Strathcona County inviting them to bid.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
drtommy wrote:
Ray, welcome to ST :) and thanks for the support you gave me in the past. I wore your logo to 2nd place at IMC in 2003. Thanks again. Your optimism about the new race is welcome and refreshing however I have not been privy to much positive talk about the change. Most non athletes feel it is too risky when you look at the financial impact of the race. A local business owner said "long distance tri is a one brand market...kinda like UFC and mixed martial arts" If you look at the numbers a 160K investment to guarantee a 10 million return is a dream scenario. To gamble with this return, to me is a very irresponsible move on the city's behalf. WTC is far from perfect, just like the rest of the world, but they would fill our town the last weekend in august.

I have done many WTC races as a pro and agegrouper. I have never had any issues personally. I can empathize with the complaints that I hear and read but do not feel they justify such a drastic move. I don't think many of the changes have anything to do with the event organizers. In the last 10 years the number of races a person can choose from has exploded. People are stretched to the limit with their time and finances. In the last 5 years I have seen the majority of racers show up 2 days before an IM race (Hawaii is 4 or 5). How does this new race proposal of a week long festival like in the past intend to overcome this uber busy lifestyle that all type A triathlete live? Will relay racers come here a week early or stay in a hotel for a week to train here?How do you overcome the brand power of IM races? I don't see anyone making a run at the UFC market or the IM market....love it or hate it. Penticton is a small remote town that is difficult and expensive to get to for those not driving. Germany is 82 million in a small area with many major airports. I don't think Roth is a valid comparison. Perhaps Challenge Wanaka...1300 racers. Penticton has been very lucky to host such a successful event for so many years. Like Chris said it's a win win win event for this small town. We should be happy to get the same deal as Coeur d'Alene and fill our town for many years to come.

I also think no Kona slots will have a bigger impact than expected with racers from the USA. The ones who come here to train and race. 45% of the racers this year. They are the ones who spend the most money here. Some poster here on ST feel our race has been degraded. Less Kona spots (but the same as
Coeur d'Alene). Less prize money for pros (I do not agree with this) but the same as CDA. The average agegrouper does not really care. The proximity of our race to kona is what killed the pro race here. In the past pros would race here due to very limited options. Now there are so many races why would any pro do an IM 7 weeks before Kona?

On a personal level my plan for next year was to do IMC and then hopefully Kona. My first year in the 45-49 agegroup. Now what? I was crushed when I found out my girls would never hear me announced as the previous winner 5 or 10 years from now. At an age when they would understand that their fat beer drinking dad use to be fast. I am very aware my personal reasons mean nothing to anyone but the financial impact of the race means a lot to many. With WTC the return of 3000 money spending triathletes every august was guaranteed.

Like I have said before I really hope for the sake of the town and the race we love that the new race is a huge success. Only time will tell.

Please show my post to the mayor. Ask him what the contingency plan is if the new race starts to cost this town millions. I know some will benefit from the change to a more historical race but I am thinking of the town in general. Very risky indeed.

Regards, Tom

Tom, very well said.

And I do hope your kids get to watch their fat beer drinking dad cross a finish line, and while it may not be at IMC where you'd be announced as a former winner, perhaps they might see you cross first in the 45-49 group in Kona.

As for the week long Challenge festival, how about adding the "Penticton to Apex Upill tri". Let's get the imaginations running wild with that one! It could be awesome!

---
The thing is,Tom will always be announced as a previous IMC winner when he crosses the line at any race in Penticton be it Challenge or an egg and spoon race so he can stop worrying about that.Same course,same finish line,same family and friends there cheering him on and Steve King announcing.I am a little confused as it seems that people are expecting Challenge to forget the history of the event and pretend that the first 30 years didn't happen.They won't and you can be sure the rest of us won't either.

---
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Sep 5, 12 21:28
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Borzoibob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cold lake would such unless they had charter flights into there. Sylvan Lake could lean on Red Deer for support (police, hotels ) and Calgary/Edmonton for Volunteers.

Strathcona/Sturgeon/Edmonton is a great area and has a very big tri
community. 3 triathlon Olympians in 08 & 12 come from there.

I emailed the RD for 70.3 Calgary and he seemed too wrapped up about the water temp at Ghost Lake. CDA is colder and sells out.

I have free accoms in Edmonton and Red Deer. So don't put it on the Air Force base, its call Cold Lake for a reason.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a little confused as it seems that people are expecting Challenge to forget the history of the event and pretend that the first 30 years didn't happen.They won't and you can be sure the rest of us won't either.

Nick,

Perhaps that is why Felix was invited to the Awards Banquet for IMC this year. Not sure where he was on race day, but I am sure that he got a good sense of what the race means for the South Okanagan community. However, at the Awards function he would have seen a very emotional Lori Bowden & Ryann Fraser talk about what the race meant to them, and then hand things off to Graham Fraser, who closed out his relationship with the race after 18 years in a very emotional and moving fashion, by asking Felix directly, who was sitting right there, to take good care of the event.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 6, 12 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Borzoibob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borzoibob wrote:
It is turning out that IMC is becoming too much of a hot potato for some cities to host it, Kelowna included. The Kelowna city councillor I know stated that Civic operations director Joe Creron and transportation services manager Darryl Astofooroff have stated they will categorically oppose the timing and quantity of road closures that the World Triathlon Corporation is requesting, and that they would not support Kelowna going forward with a bid to the WTC. Out of the cities the WTC has shortlisted, Vancouver is not supporting it - as well as the number of respondents required to sign off before Sept 24 making it impossible - Translink, Vancouver Parks Board, Vancouver City Police, RCMP, etc, Neither is Victoria, Neither is Whistler - with only one highway in and out, the all day partial closure is not supported by the Ministry of Transportation at this time - although there is support at the municipal level in Whistler. Kamloops and Vernon are coming out as favourites, though it will all come down to the competitive bidding process. The WTC is making presentations to some Alberta communities - Cold Lake, Sylvan Lake, Sturgeon County/Strathcona County inviting them to bid.

.....whatever happens, please, not Cold Lake. Too many bad memories of that place :-(. Seriously though, it would be a joke to have it there. If people thought Muskoka was out of the way, Cold Lake takes it to an entirely new level.

Perhaps WTC should kill the concept of this race in 2013 and move on to doing something properly in 2014. Chalk it up as a loss to the competition. In the competitive world, it is OK to lose a few to the competion, learn from your errors and move on to where there is a more natural path to success. You don't need to win every battle in the market. In fact, it is OK to lose some battles to the competition as long as the two of you in a pseudo duopoly are expanding the total available market. Better to share the revenue in a larger market than fight over scraps in a smaller market.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite Muskoka being regarded by some as out of the way, rumor has it they are preparing a bid for IMC as well. Don't foresee it happening due to proximity to LP and MT, would be interesting though as they could have an incredible single loop course which could smash the dreams (and legs) of all the wheel-suckers.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they have a full Ironman in Muskoka, WTC needs to do this at the end of June. That way it does not directly overlap with IMNYC, IMLP and IM Tremblant. Muskoka could easily do it, and many who have signed up for Tremblant would also do Muskoka if they are adequately spaced. I'd imagine that they would just work with 2 loops of the existing course, but it would totally smash dreams.

But obviously this not achieve having a Western Canada destination. Perhaps Muskoka ends up being a one time event, until they can establish something in the West. But what about Calgary? Is that totally off the table?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure we realize that Muskoka 70.3 has consitently been dropping in registrations. Last year they have a fire sale registration to try and ramp up the numbers.

I am actually predict the inverse of expanding to a IM; I predict the race will run its course and be over after its 5 year term.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I get the feeling that support for triathlon has been waning in Huntsville. If not for some huge efforts by some individuals to get money for the licensing fee from corporate sponsors the 70.3 would already be gone as the town has cut back on the 'tourism fund' that it would normally use to fund these events. I just don't see the community getting behind the race anywhere near the extent that we witnessed at Mont Tremblant this year, I don't think 3500 volunteers would happen. If it did happen it would really cause a problem for me and the promise I made to my wife to 'dial it back' for a while!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am actually predict the inverse of expanding to a IM; I predict the race will run its course and be over after its 5 year term.

I agree, but even sooner than that as I think when they renewed last year it was for only 3 years, but I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with Muskoka is time of year (this weekend). Cool weather, potential for rain every year and worst of all, it is the weekend after school starts. Very few families want to take kids out of school to make a long weekend in Muskoka in shitty weather RIGHT after they just took vacation in the summer. Everyone is back to work and school.

The Muskoka 70.3 should have always been in late June or July. September is just a bad date. I get it that Huntsville wants athletes to fill rooms when they normally don't fill rooms outside of the main tourist season, but unfortunately, that means a date that generally works for few triathletes.

If Muskoka was a summer date, than families would go, and make a vacation of it and hang out for an entire week. Right now, no one wants to go. Heck, I have never done Muskoka but finally decided to go this year. My family won't come with me because school has started. It is much easier for me to go to Esprit, for half the entry fee, half the drive and I stay in downtown Montreal. But I do want to do Muskoka before it were to dissappear. If it was mid summer then it just gets rolled into vacation plans...very easy sell.

An IM in Muskoka in the summer is a much more attractive destination than a 70.3 in September. But frankly IMC should stay in Western Canada and Muskoka 70.3 should move into July (Iike IMLP weekend).

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the only way they could move it to the summer is to change venues. Unfortunately, deerhurst is not going to part with their parking lot on a busy summer weekend, I am sure they love the weekend its on now, because it is probably one of the slowest weekends of the whole year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See this is where the WTC screws themselves.

By buying up all the races they have and trying to be omnipresent, they now have the issue between having a nice spread out batch of races to own the market, or the potential to have stacks of races competing for the same athletes.

While this is great for the athlete, it is not great for "profit margin" which is important to the WTC

I still think that was the calendar filled with independent overlapping races, the potential for survival is much higher for the races than in a corporate oligarchy where they can start theorizing, that they can cancel two races, overload the 3 others and increase profitability 15%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my mind calgary would be ok, just that swim is so cold, but lots of ways for the bike to go... Kamloops is almost perfect, vernon or kelowna too, but kelowna has hwy.97/harvey as its main artery, and eventually it would have to be crossed for an IM, and that is a huge problem imo. But Kelowna also has the hotels etc. to handle this.

Dumb question, but why is Penticton off the map now? Why wouldn't they want two 140.6s in their town? Seems like a win-win for all involved. More money for Penticton, WTC still has the ‘original’ IMC AND Challenge gets to have their race too. Does the license explicitly state that only one 140.6 is allowed in the town during the calendar year?

I’ve been watching this thread pretty closely as this race lines up perfectly with my schedule, distance to my home, expenses, etc. Like others, my end goal is Kona. At this time, I have no interest in doing a 140.6 without the possibility of qualification, so Challenge Penticton is out of the question. I can barely justify ANY 140.6 to my wife, so doing one ‘just to do one’ (as would be the case with CP) won’t fly right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [TriZag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the notion of an IM race in Victoria, BC. Heck, you could put transition on the legislature lawns right in downtown, swim in the harbour, bike up to Sidney, and run a couple loops of scenic Victoria. Backdrop of the city and the Olympic mountains would be pretty good.

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Last edited by: GrahamK: Sep 6, 12 10:41
Quote Reply

Prev Next