Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, each one of the communities bid and then WTC decides which town to go with, and then World Endurance Canada, the subsidiary of WTC in Canada would then run the event regardless of where it happens. The Muskoka bid will try for the full 5 years and has complete backing from the town of Huntsville. Having said that, the bid group is willing to take a "1 year trial" while WTC sorts out its overall plans if WTC feels that they still would like to stay with IMC in the west and need time to sort that angle out. Wanting a race in the west is one thing, technically pulling it off in 10-11 months is obviously challenging.

I did advise the bid group that they would have to get over the objections of filling a race that is geographically closed to Tremblant and LP, and they are actually offering WTC the option of multiple dates with town backing so that a Muskoka 140.6 does not overlap with with existing WTC events (in time). As some of you know, in the past triathlon has been relegated to "outside vacation season". Like Tremblant, the town is "willing to have us" in the midst of vacation season if this is what it takes to win WTC over.

OK, enough of that. I did the interview of the bid team and need to write up the summary and then I'll post the entire thing so you guys can see the angle that they are proposing. I personally think it is pretty good, but like the rest of you, I'm not WTC so we can think it is as good as we want, but WTC needs to decide that it makes economic sense. It will certainly be a very athlete centric destination vacation experience for those who are not local. For those of us who have raced there, you pretty well have a feel for what you are up against....just not as tough as 2 loops of the existing 70.3. Should be "Placid level difficulty".

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I correct in thinking that the location decided won't be announced until Kona week ?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Borzoibob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed Muskoka is senseless. By that I mean it would be a great venue, but WTC want to try to take business away from the Challenge race. That means that proximity and time. Its not like a bunch of people want to go to a race in Canada and don't care where in the country it is.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really hope they don,t just take an existing 70.3 like Muskoka or Calgary and add loops to double the distance. It may make economic and logistic sense but I'd rather see them skip a year if necessary and start in a new location that wouldn't be competing with Penticton and would leave existing 70.3 races as is.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [dstu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears the surrounding communities are somewhat interested. I don't think any of these areas could beat Penticton's course, although the Vernon area would be my choice.

http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/170596746.html

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/...12.html#comment-2531

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/...t-ironman-92012.html

http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/170595496.html
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes. october 10th

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
http://triathlonmagazine.ca/2012/09/sections/news/trimuskoka-joins-the-bidding-war-for-ironman-canada/

Personnaly I want to see it stay in the west.

THROWDOWN!!!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vernon Council has decided to submit a bid. It will be a busy weekend for city staff.

Peter Solymosi
The Tri Bike Fit Studio
Vernon, BC
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [solymosi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Proposed routes for the Vernon bid:

https://coldstream.civicweb.net/...entList.aspx?ID=2413
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [JRSL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any info on bike course elevation?

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kamloops seems to also be in the mix. Their bid made front page news in the local paper: Penticton's Ironman loss may be our gain

No word on the make up of the course.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [will_rl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like it's going to be a 4 way race, with bid deadlines 5:00pm EST. Kelowna, Vernon, Kamloops and Muskoka are the only ones in the running - Victoria and Vancouver are out of the running, and Whistler does not look promising, as the events committee is not in favour at this time. I would say Vernon has the best shot, followed by Kamloops, Kelowna, and then Muskoka. Andrew Messick, Ironman CEO Andrew Messick even stated that "The Okanagan Valley is a fantastic place for the race".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Messick also had this to say, in the context of competing races in the Okanagan on the same date.

Newscaster: "But triathletes being forced to pick either Penticton or another Okanagan city was avoidable, says Ironman organizer."

Messick: "I think that it is unfortunate that Penticton chose to put their race on the historical date of IMC."

about 1:15 of this video:

http://www.chbcnews.ca/...v=2282558725#stories

Yes, clearly Penticton's fault for any conflict.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Borzoibob wrote:
It looks like it's going to be a 4 way race, with bid deadlines 5:00pm EST. Kelowna, Vernon, Kamloops and Muskoka are the only ones in the running - Victoria and Vancouver are out of the running, and Whistler does not look promising, as the events committee is not in favour at this time. I would say Vernon has the best shot, followed by Kamloops, Kelowna, and then Muskoka. Andrew Messick, Ironman CEO Andrew Messick even stated that "The Okanagan Valley is a fantastic place for the race".

Looks like Victoria is still trying to string something together.

http://www.vicnews.com/sports/170423896.html

Timelines are obviously issues with all submitters, but Vernon, Kamloops and Kelowna seem to be more on-the-ball than other potential venues. Muskoka would be interesting, but I suspect that WTC wants a head-to-head with Challenge in the west. That and there are so few other iron-distance events over (up) here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRSL wrote:
Messick also had this to say, in the context of competing races in the Okanagan on the same date.

Newscaster: "But triathletes being forced to pick either Penticton or another Okanagan city was avoidable, says Ironman organizer."

Messick: "I think that it is unfortunate that Penticton chose to put their race on the historical date of IMC."

It would be a huge mistake by IMC to put it on the same day. They will attract the Kona crowd but alienate a huge number of local hard core triathletes.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
JRSL wrote:

It would be a huge mistake by IMC to put it on the same day. They will attract the Kona crowd but alienate a huge number of local hard core triathletes.

Roth Revisited?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Squeak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Squeak wrote:

Roth Revisited?

You bet. My guess is Vernon 1 week before Penticton. They would go the same weekend but they most likely will share the same accomodation territory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRSL wrote:

-----

Comments like that from Messick are just another illustration of what a bunch of arrogant pricks the management at WTC are..The race has always belonged to Penticton and is theirs to do with as they wish.The race was alive before it was called IMC.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
Squeak wrote:

Roth Revisited?

You bet. My guess is Vernon 1 week before Penticton. They would go the same weekend but they most likely will share the same accomodation territory.

--

The week before Challenge would be okay for the Iron geeks but probrably screw up the Apple Tri in Kelowna...

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a quick poll, for those of you following this thread what type of bike course would you prefer?

Moderate to tough? (like IMC 4200 feet, IMcda 5200 feet)

Or pretty tough? (like LP and WI both around 6000 feet of climbing)

I think if it ends up in the Okanogan or Kamloops, the bike courses will be similar or tougher than the old IMC, I don't see too many options for a flat course.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tough bike and tough run...

---
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live very close to the swim start, and I can tell you that all the of the bike course and run course options in Vernon will essentially have no flat sections! I can see that the overall gain would be pretty similar to Penticton. The run course would probably be tougher though.
Last edited by: Fergdog: Sep 22, 12 17:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW. A statement like that is just plain arrogant. WTC doesn't own that date and in fact, Penticton was hosting races on that date BEFORE M-dot affiliation.

WTC own one thing, their brand which in this process, is taking a hell of hit.

Choice however is good for the consumer.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to say that I too am disappointed with that statement. WTC does not own any date and frankly they owe part of their North American success to the penticton model being used across the continent. Those of us in the business world know that what is most important is adding end customer value....companies that focus on that do not have to fixated on the competition. WTC should just focus on providing value to us the consumer and their bottom line will take care of itself. Stop worrying about Challenge.....start worrying about the athlete!!!!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 22, 12 14:19
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
RobAllen wrote:
Squeak wrote:

Roth Revisited?

--

The week before Challenge would be okay for the Iron geeks but probrably screw up the Apple Tri in Kelowna...

--

Somehow I don't think the WTC is too concerned about what happens to the Apple Tri. They are probably more concerned with stamping Challenge out before it gets a foothold in North America .. and maybe teaching Penticton a lesson as well. Successful local events are probably of no real concern until they attempt to turn it into a 5150 race!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next