Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [dstu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dstu wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Your dilemma sounds similar to what we had for Tremblant. At the time (in 2010) there was a full 140.6 bid in for Ottawa. Many of us got prettty excited, but we also took a step back objectively. It would be great to have it on our town, but several contacted WTC and encouraged them to go with the Tremblant bid. Tremblant was the perfect spot. We could make something work in Ottawa and it would be amazing having the run going right in front of Parliament and so on, making it iconic in its own way, but logistically it would have been tough, and we'd have to close down parts of the core of the city of effectively 24 hours. In the end, many of us backed Tremblant, and supported WTC to go that way.

Who knows if it makes a difference, but if the triathlon leaders in a community are telling WTC to do something that is not in the favour of their own community, amazingly they listen because they know that there is something compelling elsewhere or those same athlete-leaders would be lobbying WTC like heck to pull the event in the direction of their own community.

So you can make a difference if you want. AND YES, I am biased towards Whistler over Kelowna, so if there are those of you from Kelowna, who would rather see this go to Whistler for objective reasons, then you should make your voice heard.

And as much as you guys think that WTC would exclusively put a race in Kelowna only to hurt Challenge Penticton, you don't have the entire picture. Look, an IMC in Whistler will also hurt Challenge Penticton to some degree, but I think we can all agree that the two can co exist and both parties can make money and athletes have more choices. Put an IM in Kelowna the same day Penticton and you have a gong show in the making. Can the valley really support 2 events on the same weekend of this magnitude?

Anyway, Kelowna athletes, if you think objectively you still have Challenge Penticon to go to and you will have IM Whistler...best of both worlds....which is exactly what we have here in Ottawa...IMLP and IMTremblant...both 2-3 hours away. You can have the same deal. Almost all the benefits, without the headache, because when it is in your town, you really have to step up in a massive way to pull it off and make it happen.

Gong Show is right. The two events (Kelowna & Penticton) would almost be bumping into each other. The Kelowna event would be marginally successfull for one year only and that's only because so many people have already signed up. After the first year the politics would be forgotten about and everyone would go back to Penticton simply because the course and atmosphere are better.
Of course the Kelowna bid is economically motivated. With apologies to West Kelowna the city grew way too quickly in the 80's and 90's and turned into a giant strip mall with suburbs scattered all over the place. They got way behind on things like municipal services etc.
The biggest difference for me between Whistler & Kelowna is atmosphere. Whistler is a resort town that knows how to throw a party. All of the hotels are in a condensed area and the lake is a 10 minute bike ride. Just look at the Crankworx mountain bike festival and you would realize how Whistler would become Ironman City for a week. Obvious bios here but no, I don't live in Whistler.

if IMC is in Kelowna, and on the same day as Challenge, i look forward to starting the Challenge race, and crossing the IMC finish... ya know, just to make it even more ridiculous... GONG!!! :D

~sarcasm saves lives
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Jbro1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jbro1234 wrote:
[

if IMC is in Kelowna, and on the same day as Challenge, i look forward to starting the Challenge race, and crossing the IMC finish... ya know, just to make it even more ridiculous... GONG!!! :D [/quote]
---

Oh mate,you have struck gold with that idea....Holy shit that would be awesome!!!!!

---
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second that! Epic wouldn't it? Friggn hilarious and awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
Jbro1234 wrote:
[

if IMC is in Kelowna, and on the same day as Challenge, i look forward to starting the Challenge race, and crossing the IMC finish... ya know, just to make it even more ridiculous... GONG!!! :D

---

Oh mate,you have struck gold with that idea....Holy shit that would be awesome!!!!!
---[/quote]
It does occur to me that this plan would come across as disrespectful to challenge. So perhaps a better idea would be to start the kelowna race and finish in penticton, leaving crickets at the IMC finish? I'm not usually vindictive, but the epic ridiculousness of the possibilities call for a fitting response. Wait.... Did I just say epic??? Yet another Freudian slip to a leadman reference. :D

~sarcasm saves lives
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Jbro1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd register just for the chance to do that... could be a race-day mashup, like EpicmanIMC. What do you think, Dev?

Quote | Reply
Dev, if they were smart they would do both Whistler and Muskoka. There is enough market for it.

But there are really stupid, so they will probably go with Kelowna.

Bet the odds...

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Squeak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kelowna would be a gong show, everybody knows it.
The only way it makes sense is if WTC is into hurting Penticton more than actually looking out for the IMC's best interest, which would be best served in Whistler IMO.

Now that the shock of Penticton's decision has been digested it seems athlete loyalty to Penticton is every bit as strong as to the IM brand.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Ray Canuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ray Canuck wrote:
Kelowna would be a gong show, everybody knows it.
The only way it makes sense is if WTC is into hurting Penticton more than actually looking out for the IMC's best interest, which would be best served in Whistler IMO.

Now that the shock of Penticton's decision has been digested it seems athlete loyalty to Penticton is every bit as strong as to the IM brand.

The right move would be for WTC to announce both the Whistler and Muskoka Ironman events...but I'm betting on IMC taking place in Kelowna very close to the Challenge Penticton date if not on the same weekend (or day).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaymz wrote:
Actually, I just realized that I will not volunteer or do my bit. Due to the fact they are insisting on the same race date I, and a bunch of others, will be in Penticton. Sorry! If its a different date I'm there.

I'm with you on that. I've volunteered for the past three years at IMP (Iron Man Penticton). And, assuming I'm available this year I will do the same thing, volunteer for the "Iron Distance Triathlon" at Penticton. Or as someone else called it Ironman Challenge Penticton (or was that Challenge Ironman Penticton, maybe Challenge Penticton Ironman?).

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carpool?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [WaySub4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is all the hate directed at Kelown just because of the date? If it was a different date, does that change people's opinions of Kelowna as a viable option?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [MustGoFaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:
Is all the hate directed at Kelown just because of the date? If it was a different date, does that change people's opinions of Kelowna as a viable option?

You got it.

Put Kelowna on July 8th or something in that range and the hate goes away.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Dev, if they were smart they would do both Whistler and Muskoka. There is enough market for it.

But there are really stupid, so they will probably go with Kelowna.

Bet the odds...

Rhys, my impression based on talking to a few folks is that Whistler + Muskoka is still an option. Frankly I don't think Muskoka gets in on its own unless both Whistler and Kelowna fall through. Muskoka could get in with either of the western events happening, so all you guys in Ontario need to make your voices heard on this.

Related to a few posts above if WTC really is really stupid enough to put Kelowna on the same day as Penticton, I suggest that a renegade overlay protest event ( just to complicate things) called Challengeman Canada (that would be CMC vs IMC)

• Register and give you money to Felix
  • Swim in Penticton
  • Ride up to Kelowna, do one loop of the Kelowna bike course and ride back
  • Run the classic Penticon course
Fins, pull buoys, course cutting, EPO, Testosterone therapy, Desoto Water Rovers...all optional but permitted. The event may or may not fall under the WADA umbrella, so depending on whether this hypothetical sanctioned-unsanctioned protest event goes off, we could always have some special guests who are US Postal Alumni.

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Sep 29, 12 18:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:

Nope, having raced both the Apple Tri, and the International (ha ha) marathon in Kelowna, and having seen the mess that was supposed to be the Gran Fondo, its not a "hate" due to the race date, even if it is absolutely absurd that it was the Kelowna council that suggested that this was the only date they would consider, and that the Mayor called Apple Tri athletes recreational athletes, even though it has been the national Sprint champs, and athletes such as Paula Findlay, Kristen Sweetland, and Simon Whitfield have raced there...The "hate" is because it is Kelowna....the town.....I live in the lower mainland, and if I never even drive thru the ugly strip mall sprall, and faceless subdivisons that is Kelowna I'm ok with that......If it had been Vernon named instead, there would not have been nearly so much "hate", in fact it would probably been embraced as much as a Whistler IMC would be.

If IMC had just upped and left Penticton, due to say "a business decision" (as told to council by WTC), and gone to Kelowna, there would still have been a major "hate", with many athletes never racing it again.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Last edited by: TriTrev: Sep 29, 12 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The apple is an great race... anyone calling recreational is an ignorant prick.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:

Yep, the Apple is a great race, and is well supported by athletes, even though it is one week before IM, its a different beast as a Sprint Tri

.......the real prick is Kelowna Mayor Walter Gray...he described Apple athetes as "recreational competitiors", and IM athletes as "clearly the championship, hard body, serious competitors".

............Even most ardent IM nutjobs (yes there are few, lol) would never call National Championship Triathlons "recreational" ....The Mayor/council are out of touch with events they already have, that struggle to get city support, this has a total fuckfest written all over it, hopefully the Apple Tri is not run out of town, although I'm sure Summerland would take it in a minute.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTrev wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:

Yep, the Apple is a great race, and is well supported by athletes, even though it is one week before IM, its a different beast as a Sprint Tri

.......the real prick is Kelowna Mayor Walter Gray...he described Apple athetes as "recreational competitiors", and IM athletes as "clearly the championship, hard body, serious competitors".

............Even most ardent IM nutjobs (yes there are few, lol) would never call National Championship Triathlons "recreational" ....The Mayor/council are out of touch with events they already have, that struggle to get city support, this has a total fuckfest written all over it, hopefully the Apple Tri is not run out of town, although I'm sure Summerland would take it in a minute.

It would be ironic if the Apple Tri got run out of town and Ultratriguy and the boys in Pencticton converted it into the PeachTri and made it the opening act/prologue in the week of Challenge Penticton festivities. Nick, make sure that you have a race to the sky uphill Tri mid week (swim in Skaha Lake, bike to Apex including the hill climb and then run to the summit of the ski hill).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
It would be ironic if the Apple Tri got run out of town and Ultratriguy and the boys in Pencticton converted it into the PeachTri and made it the opening act/prologue in the week of Challenge Penticton festivities. Nick, make sure that you have a race to the sky uphill Tri mid week (swim in Skaha Lake, bike to Apex including the hill climb and then run to the summit of the ski hill).

The race to the sky, would have to be called "The Peter Reid workout" Tri........I used to see him swim in the lake, then ride back home up to Apex, and probably he then went for a run

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm HOPING to do a variant of this in 10 days in Hawaii...I'm dubbing it the "Mauna Kea 10,000" (not to be confused with the Mauna Kea 14,000).

Swim for 1k in the Pacific in Kawaihai, bike from there to the Mauna Kea Visitor centre 90K up 9700 feet which is where the pavement ends and turns to gravel....jog scramble walk the next mile of so to get to 10,000 feet altitude. I don't really trust myself to go longer. This alone should be a full day adventure, but I THINK I can do it unsupported.

The Mauna Kea 14,000 would require another 4000 feet of vertical either running on gravel or switching to a mountain bike that is driven in a support vehicle, then switch to running for the final few miles to the Mauna Kea summit. Aparently there is a path at the top that you can "run" a loop of the island is something like 5 minutes and see every angle (pass through all 360 degrees of orientation).

It's the type of stuff Peter Reid would do. Maybe I need to send him a message and drag him out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:

No matter what the date it would still be a crappy venue for a long course event but more than that it would be a crappy place to spend the days prior to race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:

First up .. I like Kelowna. As long as you can put up with a certain amount of prickness from some of the people that live there then it's a great it's place to live, great place to swim open water, great place to run and ride and I have a nice bunch of people that we go round with. The weather is good. The stip malls suck but then that's really only on one corridor. Get out into East Kelowna, down Lakeshore ..... in fact anywhere East or West of Highway 97 and it's pretty damn nice. So ... I like Kelowna a lot, can see why people visiting don't though, unless you are obsessed with visiting wineries or a golf nut there is not much for visitors. Probably no less that Penticton though. So, my concern is not directed at Kelowna at all. But my care for triathlon means that I don't think it is the right place for IMC. The whole council thing is just crap on the cake.

My issue is ...don't let people solely interested in money run our sport. It won't end well. You can be passionate, provide a great product and still make a fortune. In fact if you do those two things then its likely you will. But lets nurture those people rather than simply grab whats on the table now. Anyone passionate about triathlon would not put on a long course race right next to another one that's been going for years. But that's indicative of the problem, rather than being the whole problem.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTrev wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

The race to the sky, would have to be called "The Peter Reid workout" Tri........I used to see him swim in the lake, then ride back home up to Apex, and probably he then went for a run

--

Yep.he was following Kevin Cutjars training program 'cause Kev and Barb were living up there at the time...

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so in for that..........that would be awesome!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading the last page or so of this thread, we really need some like buttons. Bonus points and 3 minutes off your non - WADA finishing time. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada 2013 [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey if Challenge is in Penticton and IMC is in kelowna maybe we can convince Rev3 tri to have a full distance race in Vernon .

WTC no one said they were smart

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next