Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/img]
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi James judge away. -5 for the watermark but whatever im broke. Also note that the front brake is a tririg.

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [david222] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-1 for your helmet chin strap being WAYYY too long (clearly you inspired Lucy Charles)
-1 for your flat repair kit sticking out of your little special Canyon cubbyhole
-1 for not having your timing chip faired appropriately by your ankle
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-2 for head position
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [emantell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in the 2nd pic, is that the saddle you use full time? i thought you were an ISM user...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
switched back in May because I wanted to sit a little back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
It's very, very fast. Only downside is lack of compatibility with certain integrated nutrition, wires, and wider wheels/tires. I don't have a side shot of this, but the watts/cda was pretty good.

https://www.strava.com/activities/984866945

WTF is with those gloves? Are you refereeing a game of 9 ball after the bike ride?
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [emantell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know most fitters recommend bringing saddle forward as much as possible to rotate the body. But I've found that in my case I can generate more power with saddle moved a little back with no comfort issues to maintain position.

Did you moved saddle back due to the same reason?
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was actually acting as a traffic cop at an intersection just before this pic was taken
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
I know most fitters recommend bringing saddle forward as much as possible to rotate the body. But I've found that in my case I can generate more power with saddle moved a little back with no comfort issues to maintain position.

Did you moved saddle back due to the same reason?

the REASON tri bikes are made the way they are is to get an athlete in a more aero, more sustainable position. this is achieved by shifting the rider forward and down. i cannot create the same power in my aero bars as i can in my drop bars on my road bike. but again, why bother? that's not really the goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if the arm pads stack is maintained, and you only moved saddle a bit backwards to improve power, aerodynamics shouldn't be impacted I think. Also considering that position is still as sustainable during the 180km.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you do that you might actually make yourself slightly more aero. But really, you may be giving up something to the athlete that (considering everything else is the same, same bike, same fit, same FTP, same everything, your clone) extends his arm pad reach AND lowers his armpad stack. Your clone may put out less power than you, but your clone will likely go faster and expend LESS energy on the bike. So your clone might kick your butt on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
It's very, very fast. Only downside is lack of compatibility with certain integrated nutrition, wires, and wider wheels/tires. I don't have a side shot of this, but the watts/cda was pretty good.

https://www.strava.com/activities/984866945

-1 for hairy arms
-1 for suit wrinkle on thigh
-1 for disc cover
-1 velcro bento box
-1 for straw sticking straight up
-3 for the knit gloves
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no no no.

i want to be judged for this one:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
no no no.

- 0.5 for head position
- 1 for chip position
- 1 for chip strap flapping in the wind
- 1 for behind the seat monstrosity
+ 5 for body position
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, yea the chip was real bad at that race. I'm super embarrassed.

It was bad from the start I guess. This is the same race from the swim.

I eventually got a more streamlined flat kit + rear bottle, basically lowering it a lot but it was definitely never pretty.

This is about the best bike setup I can imagine for 112mi, however.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your front wheel has just as many spokes on it as mine does and you hammered me on that. So - 5 for being a jerk đŸ˜‚
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
no no no.

- 0.5 for head position
- 1 for chip position
- 1 for chip strap flapping in the wind
- 1 for behind the seat monstrosity
+ 5 for body position

You are getting soft. I can't believe you let him slide on
-1 for the extra long valve extender
-1 50 dollar helmet on a 8-9,000$ bike (even though the helmet doesn't fit poorly).
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've probably tested like 20 different helmets on myself (in the wind tunnel), and that is the second fastest I've ever tested. I only switched to my current helmet when it came out and I tested it to be a watt or three faster.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dammit I did miss the long valve extender! I gave a pass on the helmet as it passed the eyeball aero test. He needs to shrug the head a little more though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
emantell wrote:
Hi James judge away. -5 for the watermark but whatever im broke. Also note that the front brake is a tririg.

Dude run your rear brake cable threw your top tube. Looks way better and doesn't have any effect on braking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-1 for goggles outside cap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
no no no.

Sweet setup, quintessential classic ST.

This thread has proven to be as educational as it is entertaining. I'm really trying to observe and learn. On that note, your hip angle appears very closed to me. Is that an accurate assessment? If so, is that a conscious choice and how does it affect you?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relatively speaking for how "optimized" my position is/was that's a pretty open hip angle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, thanks. Upon further review, I see I was looking at it incorrectly. You are actually a great illustration of how a steep saddle angle opens things up for getting low up front. Is that correct?

Last edited by: GreatScott: Oct 26, 17 18:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next