Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, your comments are not helpful, nor correct. My position has been tested, refined and refined some more. Comfort and power have to be involved in any good bike fit so pure aero is not the fastest, especially over the longer distances. If I only did 10 mile TTs, my position would be much more aggressive.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you tested the next size up p5 in addition to the one you're on in that picture? i'm impressed.

also, your saddle choice is limiting you.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Aug 9, 17 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, I used a larger frame for a year, then tried the smaller one. Massive improvement in position. The saddle, sadly is similar to Jordan's issue. I cannot use a noseless one. Coming from 20 years of road racing, I am so used to a normal saddle that a noseless one is so hard to ride, my power drops 15%.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's unfortunate. you appear to be reach limited. hence, 8/10.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do you mind sharing your CdA? I have seen pictures of your position and the eyeball windtunnel says maybe sub-0.19, but then again the eyeball isn't always right.

Quote:
Can't share, but you're close with last year's position on the Plasma 3. This year is much lower than that.

like it's some big national security secret. you're a hobby time trialist and most of us are hobby triathletes. please.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Aug 9, 17 17:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
hmm.

6/10

-1 for elbow width
-1 for head position
-1 for stack height
-1 for only having lame watermarked finisherpix of you on the bike.

Now that's what I'm looking for! Lower score means I have more to gain.

I've actually tried narrower elbows but it ends up killing my shoulders around 85 miles in... but I can keep trying with smaller adjustments. And noted on the stack height. I've gradually been tweaking it and seeing it compared to others on here makes that point obvious.

As for the pictures... man they are expensive.

And as a note, this was from my last race at IM Santa Rosa. Pretty hilly, held 214 NP for a 4:51. Sounds like I should have been faster at that power.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
8/10.

-1 for head position
-1 for chip placement

Agreed. Figured you would have docked me at least a point for the Dimond too.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
practice make perfect (with regard to elbows). you wanna go just narrow enough that you can still "shrug" and hold a good head position, but not so narrow that you fatigue early and lose the shrug.. that's a solid time on solid power.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
8/10.

-1 for head position
-1 for chip placement

Agreed. Figured you would have docked me at least a point for the Dimond too.

oops, my post was a typo...

should have read

-8/10
-1 for head
-1 for chip placement (not in the "faired" position where the chip is behind your achilles/soleus and therefore significantly more aero)
-16 for Dimond ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
9/10 for kiley

-1 for not having a disc. what a proletariat.

Showing favoritism towards Kiley, eh? -1 for chip placement.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
My money is on Rob Gray. That guy holds just as aero a position as all these photoshop queens on this thread and does it for an entire Ultraman bike leg for 2 days (OK OK, you guys did some of these positions in real life but not UM). Sorry guys, but once you can hold Rob's position for that, long you're in the running to dethrone him.

End of thread.

Paul where is your pic

I am living vicariously through Rob Gray. I could post my Chris Boardman style aero position with a look ergostem base bar clamp buried 1 inch above the front tire from IMC 1995 when I was 30 and flexible (or from Wildflower 96 too....bike 2:39 and ran 1:28 that race on a super low and narrow position). Multiple crashes, broken bones, neck and head injuries later, most people's grandmothers going to 7-11 to buy a carton of milk have better positions, but mine was sufficient to get podiums in 50-54 until I stopped racing 2 years ago. Right now, not riding, nor running....so no pictures. Mine is was in the range of David's above but a bit worse. Probably a bit higher maybe more shrug. I did have the same ride and run as Rob did at Wildflower 2015, but Rob was out of shape and I was in shape.

OK, I found one on my hard drive from a few years ago. Its basically a road position, head down with shrug to get around several biomechanical limitations. Saddle is slammed all the way back around 5 cm behind BB to get weight off my shoulders and neck...basically John Cobb's old "big slam".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
9/10

your helmet choice actually works pretty well with your head/back position, eyeball wise.

-1 for being in the little ring, ever.

How bout I get that +1 back for climbing in aero while spinning my 36/25 gear? That's like 9mph aero!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4-5/10 for that pic/position Dev
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty crappy pic, but the position did get me the quickest amateur bike split at Eagleman this year.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Here's mine, as set up by Dan

I can ride it all day long.

Reminds me of this:

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Not me. I have more neck problems than a 40 year old football player. Only 8 cm of drop seat to pads. I'm a parachute.

I can beat that...59mm of drop! Sorry for the hijack

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
Here's mine, as set up by Dan

I can ride it all day long.

Reminds me of this:

LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood. I hesitated to post it on this thread, but fishburn was asking. It is a work around with various mangled body parts from a few substantial accidents and associated head injuries and post concussion symptoms that kick in if things are weighed the wrong way even for short durations. Even something as simple as wearing an aero helmet with ear flaps would give me a headache for a week.

To David's point, it is hard to compare 50 year old athlete positions to 30 year old ones, just like it is hard to compare 50 year old run times to 30 year old ones due to the numerous biomechanical limitations that accumulate over time. A few 50-70 year olds run really well and a few (Joe Boness and a few others) have sustained very good positions with no cervical or lumbar impingements. Th picture was taken was just 2 years after getting evacuated off an IM course in Switzerland with a long recovery during which I had to do simple things like re learn to walk then jog, then cycle due to several nervous system complications. Luckily the engine was good to go when I got most of that working again. At that point there were several work arounds with the big slam.

If I have the pics from 1995, it's pretty well the same as Boardman from that era.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Aug 9, 17 18:16
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kileyay, Do you have any pics from the side?
And what's your setup on your Felt. Stem length etc.
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do I win for this competition? I race and train and in this position whenever possible, pretty simple. Jack, Steve, Rob, Sean, and Ryan have all biked faster then me in races I have gone head to head with them in but I have normally raced with way way way lower watts. Jack is closest to me in watts but he is also 20lbs lighter then me. Where do I collect my prize?

Head down pic in link at bottom since i can't work tiny pic tonight very well.

[/img]

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Aug 9, 17 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Kileyay, Do you have any pics from the side?
And what's your setup on your Felt. Stem length etc.

Right now, I have the 111mm Syntace Flat Force stem -- not sure what the effective angle is, maybe ~ -25 degrees -- with the Enve bar undermount, no spacers, Profile Design F35 cups/pads

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your giving me a run for my money here!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Define best?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to 165 and re look at seat position this winter when I get on a new bike. Always trying to get better and find room for improvement.

Quote Reply
Re: What slowtwitcher has the best long course bike position [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next