Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have this somewhere in my house and love digging into it every so often:

http://www.amazon.com/...ycling/dp/1891369555

Totally worth $10.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Merve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phil Liggett was the announcer in my head during a 95-degree bike in a local tri this past Saturday:

"Looks like the poor fellow is in a spot of bother."
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Murg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've got to love Phil and Paul referring to "natural breaks" and assessing whether the break was for #1 or #2 depending on how undressed the rider appeared to be.

Also love "carbohydrate jelly" in reference to energy gels.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [tri-ingfatman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the very beginning of stage 8 I am pretty sure he said something like . . . "They are battling a real stiffy out there today!" Referring to the wind.

Phil used the term again Saturday in describing the climbs in Sunday's mountain stage. He said, "the boys will be dealing with some real stiffies tomorrow."
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Murg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahahaha i did the same thing when I was climbing on sunday.. "he's dancing on the pedals! poetry in motion" kept running through my head.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [missinglink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The yellow jersey has just run into a BIG FRENCH BRICK WALL!"

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [blue_tool_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today with 2.5 miles to go as the sprinters are trying to line up, the coverage switches to a camera that is zoomed in and up close on the arse of a Saxo Bank rider. Phil states eloquently:

"This is an unusual view I must say. I don't know where the camera is..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After each stage the riders of Ag2R get in an ice bath, this NEW TECHNOLOGY lowers their body temperature to aid in recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [dk75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"There'll be steam coming from these riders' ears ..."

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"There'll be steam coming from these riders' ears ..."

I just watched the end of today's stage on DVR, and I thought he said "speed" instead of "steam." Though I think I like "steam" better!

Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It depends if Andy Schleck and Alberto Contador want to have a ding-dong battle like they did yesterday."
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He's happier than a sand boy" WTF does that mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<to guys with Viking helmets on>
Well the Vikings have finally found the Tourmalet. It's taken them a hundred years but there they are.

I also like the reference to the 'racing cape' aka wind breaker.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [jO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today after Contador attacked Schleck with about 6-7k left on the Col de Tourmalet, Schleck caught immediately back on Contador's wheel, gave him a stare down, and Phil said excitedly" So you think you're hard enough? Do that again and I'll kill you." It was great because of how fired up he was getting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any notable new ones for this tour from Phil? It sure seems that there is more tension between Phil L. and Paul S. on this tour then in previous tours. Anyone else notice that?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Paul Lantinga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was humorous when Paul apologized for "giggling". Was that yesterday?

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul Lantinga wrote:
Any notable new ones for this tour from Phil? It sure seems that there is more tension between Phil L. and Paul S. on this tour then in previous tours. Anyone else notice that?

Yes, I have noticed. More sniping at each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't noticed outright tension but there have been a few moments where Paul has probably been rolling his eyes.

One comment I noticed was earlier when Kittel likley still had aspirations for the green jersey, and when he didn't make the bunch sprint Phil said something like "well if he's not going to win the race, he doesn't care where he comes." Clearly if he wants to win the green jersey he most certainly does care where he comes, even if not first!

I think it was also mostly Phil's fault about all the confusion about Contador's bike yesterday. The guy reporting from the race (forget his name) said he saw a broken frame being loaded into the team car, and 30 seconds later Phil is saying "so it looks like a cracked frame could have been the cause of the crash". The guy out on the course also noted that Contador appeared to have slid 100 feet on the ground. Knowing that it was clearly a bad crash (based on the long skid marks on the grass and the blood etc), it was far more likely that the frame was broken in the crash, than it suddenly cracked and caused the crash. As it turned out it was neither. But it was such irresponsible reporting to have put 2 and 2 together to make 5 and say the frame cracked and caused the crash!
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
The guy out on the course also noted that Contador appeared to have slid 100 feet on the ground. Knowing that it was clearly a bad crash (based on the long skid marks on the grass and the blood etc)

I believe the guy sliding 100 feet was Tiago Machado who actually got into the ambulance, but then got out and back on his bike and finished the stage.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2 favs:

"He's out of the saddle and riding like a man possessed"

"He absolutely turning himself inside out"

------------------

It begins with the most simple belief, the one you must have in yourself. That must be translated into results by dedication. The knowledge that dedication, which feeds on belief, can make it so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wet stage with all the crashes where Froome went out, maybe 5?

Commenting on another rider falling near, but not involved in one of the pile ups.

"and another goes down out of sympathy. no one touched him."

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I think it was also mostly Phil's fault about all the confusion about Contador's bike yesterday. The guy reporting from the race (forget his name) said he saw a broken frame being loaded into the team car, and 30 seconds later Phil is saying "so it looks like a cracked frame could have been the cause of the crash". The guy out on the course also noted that Contador appeared to have slid 100 feet on the ground. Knowing that it was clearly a bad crash (based on the long skid marks on the grass and the blood etc), it was far more likely that the frame was broken in the crash, than it suddenly cracked and caused the crash. As it turned out it was neither. But it was such irresponsible reporting to have put 2 and 2 together to make 5 and say the frame cracked and caused the crash!

I agree, this one baffled me. It might have pissed off some Specialized people after Phil Liggett wrongly accused the frame of causing the crash.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Dtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite:

"Look at the agony.....he's sufferin' now"
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borden wrote:
The wet stage with all the crashes where Froome went out, maybe 5?

Commenting on another rider falling near, but not involved in one of the pile ups.

"and another goes down out of sympathy. no one touched him."

This one alone would have almost made it worth it to pay for cable this month.
Quote Reply

Prev Next