Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Borden wrote:
The wet stage with all the crashes where Froome went out, maybe 5?

Commenting on another rider falling near, but not involved in one of the pile ups.

"and another goes down out of sympathy. no one touched him."

This one alone would have almost made it worth it to pay for cable this month.

That phrase has been around for decades.....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Borden wrote:

Commenting on another rider falling near, but not involved in one of the pile ups.

Sorry, I don't follow soccer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Power13 wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Borden wrote:

Sorry, I don't follow soccer.
That was funny!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [blue_tool_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrote the same thing in response to a similar post from 2007 found here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_Sayings_P1391770-3

At the 1989 Tour de France, as Greg Lemond was about to crush Laurent Fignon (may he rest in peace) in the final stage time trial into Paris:

"And Greg Lemond, who's name in French means 'the world,' has the world's greatest bicycle race in the palm of his hand."

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I posted it somewhere in this thread....but it bears another airing.

During the '92 Tour, in one of the early stages around San Sebastian, Ligget says that Atle Kvalsvol placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd at the 92 Tour Dupont.......all in the same sentence.

I'd have to dig out my old tape to find it, but it went something like "He is in great form this year after having won the Tour Dupont this year, where he finished 2nd behind Breukink and taking 3rd place on the podium."

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [pedalduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pedalduck wrote:
"He's happier than a sand boy" WTF does that mean?
It's British and old
Last edited by: dontswimdontrun: Jul 15, 14 14:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget the hair styles and excitement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dTEjERoQbk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do wonder if "Mark Cavendish" is the new phrase for this race. We had started counting the number of references since M.C. crashed but long ago lost count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phil makes so many mistakes. He is constantly calling riders by the wrong names. PS says the same things over and over. Neither seems interested in cycling, perhaps they lost their interest after defending LA so vigorously. If you get the feed from Eurosport with Sean Kelly or the one with Imlach it is so much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't care... I love those guys :)
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [pedalduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's happier than a sand boy" WTF does that mean?

In case no-one ever told you, that's an old (and racist) saying, with 'sand boy' referring to blacks.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's like listening to MLB announcers. 99% of the time it's just them talking for the sake of talking.

Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
It's like listening to MLB announcers. 99% of the time it's just them talking for the sake of talking.

I can talk about nothing for extended periods, according to TriSpouse, but I take my hat off to people like Phil & Paul. They do a stellar job. I mean, in essence, it's pretty much the same every year. A bunch of guys ride their bikes around France. Up hills, down hills, through the countryside and towns. A bunch of times, they fall off.

While baseball and other commentators can talk for several hours about nothing in particular, Phil and Paul do it day after day, week after week and year after year. Hell, they start at the Tour Down Under and get fully warmed up by July, and carry on for all sorts of other races in between and after. I take my hat off to them.

Come to think of it, I come to work every day, 250 odd days a year. Every day I do engineering, go to meetings to talk about engineering, write reports and specifications about engineering and I've been doing it for 30 years! I'm at least as good at my job as they are at theirs. Well maybe not. They sound mildly interested. I'm clearly bored stiff by engineering work. LOL

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [GregT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With 112 km left to go today, I turned the TV on to hear this gem -

".. I'm minded actually of a butterfly I once saw. It was very forlorn. It was February. It was in Paris. Who knows where it managed to hatch? It must have been on a ventilation system or something. And of course it was searching forlornly for a flower. I was on a bus at the time."

Profound
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [p206751] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p206751 wrote:
With 112 km left to go today, I turned the TV on to hear this gem -

".. I'm minded actually of a butterfly I once saw. It was very forlorn. It was February. It was in Paris. Who knows where it managed to hatch? It must have been on a ventilation system or something. And of course it was searching forlornly for a flower. I was on a bus at the time."

Profound

Just heard that...it was great
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[At the bottom of the hill] ..."they took off so fast I thought they were going to take off into space"...

Quote | Reply
He was discussing Fuglsang's injuries today and as they showed the peleton on the screen Phil said " Nibali needs Fuglsang, he is his right hand man, even if he is riding on his left just now."

Cracks me up.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [GregT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HES FREE TO FLY NOW!

THESE ARE DESPERATE MOMENTS NOW IN THE TOUR DEFRANCE

THE HEADS OF STATE ARE ALL ACCOUNTED FOR NOW.

HE WILL BE TURNING HIMSELF INSIDE OUT TO MAKE THAT BREAK

YOU CAN HEAR THE WHISTLE OF THE TURBO NOW.

FABULOUS FABIAN CANCELERA

NO MORE LANCE ARMSTRONG QUOTES!
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:

My dad and I used to listen to Braves games back in the 80's before tbs or TNT, the Dale Murphy-Bob Horner years. By the sixth inning or so, the Braves were usually getting beat so badly that you'd think it was a bass fishing broadcast.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was Paul, but somebody said something about a kettle of fish...and I have no idea what that means...but I liked it.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This week our local sports talk radio was talking about what sport is the hardest to do radio for. One said that soccer had to be one of toughest because it's non-stop action with no real breaks except at halftime. Other guy went the opposite and said by it's nature baseball is the hardest, because you have so much filler time, that it really is on the announcer to hold your interest. Actually made a lot of sense.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is sad that these two doping enablers are still on the air. They are not able to follow the race and I am not sure if they prepare properly before the tour.
This has nothing to do with age. My favorite cycling commentator is Kaggestad and he is over 70.

US cycling fans deserve better commentators.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This US fan does not want to listen to anyone else. And what's up with the doping enablers comment?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Phil Liggett TDF Quote Thread.... [Dinsky11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dinsky11 wrote:
This US fan does not want to listen to anyone else. And what's up with the doping enablers comment?
Phil up to the bitter end had dismissed any doping by Lance. Even after Lance admitted it, Phil had played it down on air. Reports of the two having common business interests may have something to do with it.
Me, I think Phil has lost too much. Whether he's lost it mentally or visually as in it seeing the screen matters not. Time for him to retire.
Paul is fine. I like Schlanger, Gogo not so much.
I wish they would bring Hummer back; mainly because he is an acquantice of mine and I think he's a good guy.
Todd Harris I can do without.
VDV might grow into a decent commentator, we'll see.
Bobke is always just goofy fun.
Andrej was good, got bumped out be Lance due to his wife.
I like Steve Porino, or at least that role. Someone on a moto in the the peloton brings new info/viewpoint in.
Quote Reply

Prev Next