Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [Joel Filliol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how far out from a race do you begin preparation? Do you train with certain periods focused on different aspects like more speed work closer to competition
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
As to access to a pool, that's just another excuse. Choose where you live more carefully.

Now that is a patronizing statement.
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
PATRONIZING??? You have got to be joking. At least 1/4 of the swim-related posts on this forum have some reference to how much the poster despises the swim and how he/she only swims to "get to my bike". I think it is abundantly clear to anyone with an open mind that most ST-ers actually hate the swim and only do it so that they can call themselves triathletes. Perhaps 10% of ST like swimming, and maybe 1% truly love swimming, as in they'd rather swim than do any other sort of sporting activity.

As to access to a pool, that's just another excuse. Choose where you live more carefully.

I"m not going to even bother discussing what triathletes in general do based on some posts on Slowtwitch and the source of your stats....there is an entire world of triathlon outside of this place anyway...but your point in bold, for starters, there are many other family and professional reasons why people choose where they choose to live BEFORE access to swimming pools becomes a factor. By definition as age groupers, we choose where we live based on family objectives and professional objectives....the reality for most is that sport has to take a back seat in this decision making process. Having said, that I have chosen where I live because it allows for an active lifestyle and have turned down much more lucrative professional opportunities because I want a balance, but not everyone is going to make that choice and we can't be patronizing and tell them to choose a better location where pool access is good....it's not another excuse, it's just that other people have other priorities in life that have nothing to do with sport. For you it might be an excuse because you value sport/swimming. Others value other aspects of life. You spend 30,000m per week swimming. Other people might spend those same 10 hours coaching their kid's baseball or soccer team, so those facilities might be important to that family over swimming facilities.

I'm lucky, I now have access to a pool all day when I am in town. This week I was on business travel and had zero pool access. I ran 108K. But I'm not going to bang on others who won't get out and run that much and judge them just because I ran a bit more than the average triathlete. But all I was doing was working, eating, running, traveling. Running is just so much more portable a lifestyle sport than swimming. Swimming has a lot more restrictions...but I love it because I can work my cardio really hard in every swim. I can't work my cardio that hard running without breaking down. I can work my cardio equally hard as often as swimming while biking, but it means having access to the bike...can't do that on the road either, so stuck with running. All the sports have their value. Where we live and what we have access to are not excuses and they are no reflection of what we might love about a sport or not. Please don't judge people by your values...live your life and let them live their lives....don't ask them to live in conformance with your values. I know it is hard to do. I'm always suggesting people to get out of their car and bike everywhere, but it's not viable in many communities and I'm also inclined to tell them that if they want they can move to where they can ride...quite often, it's not even an option, so I am equally guilty as you in this regard....we all do it....just pointing it out and will try to catch myself too.
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

As to access to a pool, that's just another excuse. Choose where you live more carefully.


Now that is a patronizing statement.

NOT MY INTENT but simply that IME, most cities of 25,000 or more have at least one indoor pool so, unless you choose to live in a town with less population, you should have an indoor pool available 12 mon/yr. By factoring your swim into your everyday life, it is not hard, i.e. with very little "out of the way driving", to either swim in the am before work, swim at lunch, or swim after work. Plus, while most tri people seem to think not all of swimming on the weekends, Sat and Sun are 2 more days to get you up to say 5 days/wk of swim. Perhaps i am over-simplifying but, in 40 yrs of swimming in about 10 diff cities/towns, the most "extra time" i've ever had to take was a 30-min round-trip drive to the pool.

Also, one other thought is to buy a set of stretch cords for $35-$50 and "swim" in your living quarters whenever you want. If you can afford it, you can buy a Halo Swim Bench for around $400 or a Vasa Trainer for $1000, both relatively cheap compared to your average tri-bike:)


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [helle_f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
helle_f wrote:
Bad bike wrecks, where do we start. Actually as you write it is an unspoken part of triathlon training and competition. Who I am today as an athlete and racer has in some part been shaped by my horrendous experience and encounters of bike crashes. Thankfully for a number of years I have managed to avoid any significant happenings on the bike. That said during my ITU years I was involved in a number of crashes, primarily in races that actually left a psychological stamp. From 2008 to 2012 I had been involved in (< Blue suit, getting feet out). I have scars in my neck from chainring teeth, received minor plastic surgery to my forehead and lip, encountered a discus prolapse as a result of crashes and poor post crash management. In January of 2012, with Olympic qualification yet to be secured, Ben and I were hit from behind taking us both down. Ben took the brunt of that crash breaking his elbow but we were both incredibly lucky to walk away from that.

Here's some articles covering more on bike related crashes:

Realizing A Dream Pt. 1
A Month Of Defeats

Damn, you've had your share for sure!!! I have some chainring teeth scars on the skin over my rib-cage but my most visible scar is on back of my left calf, where some sharp part of my bike cut into my calf muscle and so the muscle is visibly short. Also, the knee was twisted a bit and so for several yrs now i "pop" my knee every 1-2 min across the day. The knee never hurts but rather just feels tight, and then lifting and tightening the knee causes the knee to audibly pop, which has been known to cause some people to flinch just hearing the pop:) BUT, on the very, very positive side, the knee never hurts and i can swim, bike, and run until complete exhaustion w/o issue:)

Hears to hoping we both continue to avoid significant bike accidents in 2015:)

Cheers,

Eric


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [FastTwitch12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FastTwitch12 - with the season as long as it is now, you are never far away from race preparation, so I prefer to think of the building into races simply layer on top of layer of conditioning - the layers then aren't substantially different, with the quality of output increasing over time.

>>>>
JoelFilliol.com - check out the Real Coaching Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [helle_f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what does a typical training week look like for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [FastTwitch12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lads please discuss your personal swim and whatever arguments somewhere else. Most people would really appreciate that
This thread is about Helle and Joel.

Helle and Joel how do you decide what and were is the best training environment for helle? ie squad training vs her own training.
Helle what do you see as the main differences, training in a squad, more on your own and with Alicia ?
cheers

http://www.pb3coaching.com
Last edited by: pk: Dec 13, 14 15:57
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob you clearly have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
You might want to stop now before you make a bigger fool of yourself.
Just a correction, as a South African we are no longer an apartheid country in case you missed it we had a black president the amazing Nelson Mandela from 1994, and we have had democracy before that so count the years !!! Triathlon is a big sport here and all people from all races participate. We had our share of sport and other sanctions for many years under apartheid this days are long gone thankfully.
SA is a great place so please get your facts straight interrupting an interesting thread.

I follow myself on twitter!
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [Paolo55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howzit Paolo you seem to be a bit of a domkop. I have spent plenty of time in South Africa and am entirely aware of the political situation. That's why I wrote "Apartheid South Africa" and not "South Africa", an obvious reference to the pre-94 situation. Doos.
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I do find your statement about very few tri guys learning to love swimming being somewhat patronizing. First of all you don't have any data to back this up.


But it's true.

Thank God, at least one other person agrees with me:)


"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob nobody's interested in your political view on this, Nordic answered spot on. Perhaps take your "disturbance" to another forum on another site. It's funny how people resort to personal insults when they lose an argument.

I follow myself on twitter!
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [Paolo55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paolo55 wrote:
Rob nobody's interested in your political view on this, Nordic answered spot on. Perhaps take your "disturbance" to another forum on another site. It's funny how people resort to personal insults when they lose an argument.


Mate, what planet are you on? Firstly, I haven't lost an argument because there hasn't been one, secondly the person who resorted to personal insults was you: maybe you've forgotten what you wrote?

Rob you clearly have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
You might want to stop now before you make a bigger fool of yourself.

Finally, the great irony here is that you're sitting in South Africa enjoying freedoms that arose partly (only a small part but an undeniable one nonetheless: what about the 'Keep Hansie Flying" posters in the referendum?) because of professional sportspeople boycotting a regime on the grounds of its human rights record. How quickly we forget.


Rob
Last edited by: RobK: Dec 14, 14 3:21
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [Joel Filliol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Joel,

Tomorrow we will be starting a 100day/100 run challenge here on ST.

One of your peers, just posted a blog entry that running everyday can be detrimental to older AGers and women, (including pros) and not necessary due to cross over of other disciplines.

What are your thoughts on running frequency ?
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [helle_f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a note from me to say that I was not aware previously that the human rights question had already been vigorously debated on his forum here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25

Lots of very good points made on both sides there and well worth a read. It's certainly changed my opinion to a certain degree.

Had I known about that I wouldn't have asked my question in such a direct manner, and I apologise for my rather judgemental attitude.

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag - Really the only answer to a question like that is 'it depends on the individual', but the idea that running every day is detrimental is BS. The majority of people who have some sort of running history and wanted to achieve this as a goal could run the 100/100 if they manage themselves by running easily enough and varied the duration of the days.


Frequency is the most effective tool for improving any discipline for most athletes.


J

>>>>
JoelFilliol.com - check out the Real Coaching Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [helle_f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helle and Joel, congratulations on your successes in 2014!!!

I was wondering what kind of tapering you do when coming into a 70.3 distance? With a busy schedule all year, how do you manage your recovery after a race and tapering going into a race?

Thank you and I look forward to seeing what 2015 brings your team!
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [Joel Filliol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frequency is the most effective tool for improving any discipline for most athletes.


Gold!

Thanks, Joel


Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...who said anything about running every day....just sayin....no one forcing anyone to do anything stupid, only people force themselves to be stupid. If you look at Sutton's suggestion it is fairly wide sweeping...then he goes on to talk about doing fartlek, long runs, tempo etc etc....is that not a lot worse than a bunch of easy jogs say 3-5 days per week which might be more appropriate for an older athlete recovering from injury or in a less advanced stage of aerobic development or over weight? Love some things Sutton says, but often he makes wide sweeping statements as if they are facts and then lots of guys will just go follow it and get injured....as usual the answer is "it depends".

So in this thread aside from Helle doing Q&A, now we have a debate about South Africa's former regime, we have an emerging Sutton debate and fortunately a peer coach of his (Joel) coming in and answering with "it depends", we have the politics of Bahrain, which we already knew would happen and we had some questions about the 20m draft zone (which we also knew would happen) and we have a bunch of swimmers telling triathletes they don't love to swim enough. In short, a regular week around here.

Thanks Helle for putting up with the unruly mob and actually filtering through all this to actually provide some value.
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [hickorynotch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hickorynotch - tapering is fairly standard - some tune ups tuesday and wednesday of race week, with the remainder easy, normal frequency and about 50% volume.
Pre and post race are the same for all races - big or small ones. It's predictable and consistent.


J

>>>>
JoelFilliol.com - check out the Real Coaching Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Due to this thread, I kinda have a crush on both Helle and Joel...

I know what you mean and I saw them live at prize giving, my lower jaw is fractured from hitting the table!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [Joel Filliol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what does a typical pros training week look like when coached by you?
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [helle_f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
Hi Helle,

How much time do you spend on the bike trainer when you are at home, in the winter ? What do your easy rides look like on the trainer ? I struggle with the idea of benefit of 1hr easy trainer rides. Maybe I'm wrong.

Does Joel adjust your mix of s/b/r to take account of tri unfriendly winter season or do you simply avoid it by going to Mallorca :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [helle_f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty hectic period at the moment, little time to sit down and read through posts. Keep the questions coming and answers will follow during the week. Thanks again.


London 2012 Olympian : 6 x IRONMAN 70.3 Winner : 2014 Challenge Bahrain Champion : 2014 Hy-Vee 5150 Champion : Master of Human Nutrition - Twitter: @helle_f Facebook: /helletri Web: hellefrederiksen.com

Sponsors: Uplace-BMC Pro Triathlon - Nike - Sands Beach Active - NormaTec - Bragi - Hotbox Roasters
Quote Reply
Re: Winning Challenge Bahrain and non-draft success - AUA [helle_f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
helle_f wrote:
Pretty hectic period at the moment, little time to sit down and read through posts. Keep the questions coming and answers will follow during the week. Thanks again.

Helle...wait wait....that's not acceptable. First thing you need to do when you get out of bed is log into ST while having your espresso (perhaps 3 is even better), respond to a few posts, get into a random argument and pissed off because of some random person on the internet. Then your morning swim workout will have higher quality because you will be well revv'd up about what some anonymous person on the internet said. This is the best warmup to morning training. Dan Empfield needs to post that in forum rules :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next