Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
(1) IM events which already rely heavily on volunteers, are going to have serious difficulty getting people to sign up as volunteers going forward;

Completely disagree on having difficulty finding volunteers.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick, in all fairness the only realistic bottle for the frame mount is an aero bottle because a standard round bottle is going to rub the thighs of anyone with legs bigger than a 13 year old girl. :-)

I have an Omni so I’ve tried it.

Also, the mount on the back of the seat post is rendered useless if using the Beta.

So my three was two in the Beta and a BTS. But I still need a spot for a flat kit. But that’s a different discussion.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [Danimal 123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It actually depends on the specific person's sweat rate. Your's might be low, but 2L/hr is not uncommon in hot weather races.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [Danimal 123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danimal 123 wrote:
I’m floored that some folks think you need a bike aid station every 10-15 miles. That’s wayyyy overkill.,,,and I ride/race in South Florida year round. Maybe, maybe every 20 miles, but even that’s some serious pampering.

I don’t need one every 10-15 miles. I’d be fine with one every 20 miles.

Training and racing are different animals for me. During a training ride I just need to survive the ride. In a race I’m fueling both the bike and much of the run so I eat and drink much more.

Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To no one specific here is part of what they sent pro's this morning or yesterday. Leads me to think we're not racing until Labor Day.

I've also talked with 2 RD based in different geographical areas of the east coast who told me the same thing.
(I added the ----- since the bullet points didn't come across)

From WTC

""""" ----- A few tangible pieces to this that we would like to share and emphasise with our PRO athletes for the immediate weeks ahead.
----- SPACE is everything. The distancing requirements will be crucial to our operations team on the ground.
----- Committing and entering multiple events that may be uncertain to your schedule, especially under the immediate and various travel/ quarantine restrictions, is not urgent.
-----To support this - we can let you know that the entry deadlines for events will be pulled closer to event date (approx 10-days out) - we will let you know once this is finalized. This will also support our teams in optimizing and planning on real space requirements and layouts.
-----This also gives you all "breathing room" to not feel a sense urgency right now, and more certainty that the events on the schedule 3-5 months away do go ahead.""""

Which leads me to believe that they don't really plan on having races until the end of summer. You may get a different take on that hypothesis on when we are or at least pros are racing again.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The seatpost mount can be used even with Beta in place, if you offset them, again with something like a B-Rad. And sure, the frame mount is ideal with an aero bottle. Either of those could be used for the flat kit if you want.

In any case, an easy four aero neutral bottles (two on the aerobar like Matt Russell does), two with the Beta.

Potentially another aero bottle on the frame, and another mount on back (flat kit, aero bento box with supplies, anything you want).

--
TriRig.com
Last edited by: TriRig: May 29, 20 18:00
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I get that the preference would be real aid stations, and races with all kinds pf volunteers, crowds, no distancing at swim start, a finish chute and high fives...all of that will eventually come back just like many things in real life will eventually return to no distancing because the world does not have infrastructure and systems to actually function long term with all this distancing and virus fear. That day is not today.

The first events will be low volume, spaced and largely self supported events with no finish line crowds. This type of racing is not for everyone and I get that. Those who are OK with them will roll with the flow with what race directors and local health authorities will support. Today in not 2019, so it is what it is. Our options are to sit and home and wish for the old systems or just work with what is offered.

Human memories are short. We'll eventually get over this virus, either via vaccine or it will burn off after a long enough time after enough of us get exposed (it may be years, but whatever) and then we'll all forget about this just like no one is scared to rent offices on top of skyscrapers anymore (but we were in 2002). In the mean time, some race directors are passionate enough that they will try to put on events and some racers will work with the flow. Its OK if some don't want to be part of that.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the next three IMs scheduled are:
15 August Kalmar, Sweden,
23 August Mont Tremblant, Canada, EDIT: CANCELLED at least for 23 August
23 August Kazakhstan.

On the sites is written:"We are working diligently to provide information as early as possible for all races. We commit to giving you an update about your race no later than 50 days before your scheduled race date, and we will endeavor to ensure these updates come even earlier wherever possible."

So within the next 4 weeks we should hear something from Sweden (I did IM Sweden two times).
Although I'm not registered for an IM this year, I'm looking forward to what will happen.
Last edited by: longtrousers: May 30, 20 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It actually depends on the specific person's sweat rate. Your's might be low, but 2L/hr is not uncommon in hot weather races.

100%. I race at about 165-170lbs and ~5 bottles over a 70.3 is my target on the bike. 1 bts with nutrition, and swapping out bta bottle every aid station with water.

I also carry a camelbak on the run course and have run well in 70.3s with it. More people should do this anyways... not sure why they don't I usually am done with my 1.5l reservoir by the end of a 70.3 run (usually around 1:30 for me). Aid stations for me on the run then are not are about nutrition, as I do a tailwind mix in my camelbak, they are about ice.

I hope they can figure out a way to put ice cups out on course.
Last edited by: MadTownTRI: May 30, 20 6:44
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiousity as some of you seem to have pretty high sweat rates, but 5 bottles on bike seems like one per 30 minutes. When you go on a 5 hrs ride do you need 10 bottles and when you go on a 1.5 hrs ride do you use 3 bottles ?

The reason I ask, is I see a lot of high numbers posted by people about what they use in racing, yet on a lifetime of group long rides and long runs, I have never really seen some of these large quantities of consumption in training. Some people MAY be taking in way too much in racing because it happens to be available on course and just slowing themselves down with too much over consumption (that also sucks away blood flow from moving forward fast to just digesting).

Also keep in mind that we have 2-3 lbs of fluid already bound to our muscles with glycogen before the race, so we're supposed to end the race using up all that glyogen and the liquid that's on our body anyway. Its not the goal of racing to end the race at the same weight we started at. If you're not a bit lighter at the end of of the race then what your weighed before breakfast, then it may have been too much on course nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Just out of curiousity as some of you seem to have pretty high sweat rates, but 5 bottles on bike seems like one per 30 minutes. When you go on a 5 hrs ride do you need 10 bottles and when you go on a 1.5 hrs ride do you use 3 bottles ?

Yep,so much overkill with triathletes nutrition. You should see what some of the crew vehicles look like in Ultraman.The bloody things are like rolling convenience stores.It is amazing.

On the other side of the coin are the Bikepackers here in Oz who ride all day with bugger all on their bikes not knowing if the only store on route,another 100k away,is even open.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racing with these restrictions will be fine. This is no different than exercising outside and will be less packed than the local trails anyway. After a month of racing we’ll likely see no spike in cases and things will gradually go back to normal, but for now it’s a good thing to be extra cautious just in case.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Yep,so much overkill with triathletes nutrition. You should see what some of the crew vehicles look like in Ultraman.The bloody things are like rolling convenience stores.It is amazing.

On the other side of the coin are the Bikepackers here in Oz who ride all day with bugger all on their bikes not knowing if the only store on route,another 100k away,is even open.

In summer weather I take in 40oz (2-2.5 bottles) fluid per hour and still end up dehydrated at the end of an IM. I think the variety of a hundred different options is overkill, but taking in fluids and calories at high levels necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

In summer weather I take in 40oz (2-2.5 bottles) fluid per hour and still end up dehydrated at the end of an IM. I think the variety of a hundred different options is overkill, but taking in fluids and calories at high levels necessary.

Yeah but that works out to be 1.1 litres of fluid which is two small bottles or less than two big bottles which isn't anything unusual. I hear numbers from triathletes that are double that. Then they add gels and God knows what else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, as I mentioned in a previous post I have different philosophies for training and racing. If I'm going on training ride I will take in enough nutrition/hydration to get me through the ride without bonking. For a race I'm doing that plus fueling some for my run. I also take in much more during an IM than a 70.3 because exertion levels are much higher during a 70.3 so I wouldn't be able to absorb/digest as much at 70.3 pace.

It's also a lot of trial and error. I sweat like a bastard, bonk really easily, and have a billy goat stomach. I need ridiculously high calorie intake or I bonk. I take in more calories per hour on the run than most of you do on the bike. Just how my body works in this regard. But as you noted there's a tipping point where it becomes too much and you end up with GI distress or bloating or whatever. If I went with the same intake in a race that I did on a training ride, I'd bonk really early in the run. So I'd have to load up at a couple of aid stations to dig myself out of it. So I like to start my run with my fuel tank as full as possible. If that makes sense.

You also need to adjust on the fly. We all have obviously different hydration concerns in 90 degree heat than when it's 60. Also need to listen to your body. Your tummy will tell you pretty quickly if things aren't going well and you need to ease back on your intake and/or effort.

I always weigh much less after a race. Generally 5-8 pounds less.

Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I have done some local half IM's with only cups of water on the bike course....and I am not talking about back in 1986. I did the Demi Esprit in Montreal last September and it was cups of water on bike....no bottles. I actually did not realize that until I I got to the race site, so 90km on one bottle in 2:26 (I only had one cage on bike), then in T2 I had two bottles one filled with Gatorade and one with coke. I left T2 with two bottles in my hand, drank the gatorade in the first 500m and put the bottle of coke in the bushes by run course and stopped to drink my coke on the second half of the run. After the race, went back and got my bottles. Danny McCann the race director actually allows your friends to hand you bottles as it turns out, but since I had no one, I figured it out how to self support in the context of a local half IM with around 300 athletes on a 4.4km formula 1 race track.

In any case, this was an example where I showed up at a race thinking I'd have 21 loops of 4.4 km to swing by the aid station and get a bottle, and it turns out it was only paper cups self serve!

Run course did have some electrolyte, but at that point I was self suffficient. I took nothing off the course (4:54 final time which was great for my return to running).

It does work better if the run is loop course to self support. 4x5.25km would be best but 2x10.5 is still doable. 1x21.1km is a bit tougher but that's why Vinu Invented Fuelbelts and camelbacks do exist until we can get standard aid stations back.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
So the next three IMs scheduled are:
15 August Kalmar, Sweden,
23 August Mont Tremblant, Canada,
23 August Kazakhstan.

On the sites is written:"We are working diligently to provide information as early as possible for all races. We commit to giving you an update about your race no later than 50 days before your scheduled race date, and we will endeavor to ensure these updates come even earlier wherever possible."

So within the next 4 weeks we should hear something from Sweden (I did IM Sweden two times).
Although I'm not registered for an IM this year, I'm looking forward to what will happen.

Tremblant was already canceled.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate that the "business must go on"... but at $800 per race. I want aid station at every 20 km on the bike, every 2 km on the run.. and a pre / post race celebration.

We could all do solo self supported contact free race in our backyard, for fee.

note: There is no way i could travel to a country with 20,000 new case per day without having to go thru some kind of quarantine on the way back.... even if the race is "contact fee". I'm sign up for IMAZ, and i will not go if any form of social distancing is still recommended.

In 2019, i did 5 branded races, I was hoping to do 3 or 4 races in 2020 with plans for 2021. Obviously all those plans are on hold and I'm looking forward to a summer of MTB and gravel rides. Final implementation of IM cancellation policy will make a difference is rekindle the interest for the sport. I'm assuming there are a lot of people with similar state of mind. Many companies in the entertainment industry are currently gambling with the future of their brand (if not their sport). In some cases, they are trading long term clients for short term survival. No one know what is the best approach, but most cases will require rebuilding momentum... let's hope IM take the right decisions.
Last edited by: benleg: May 30, 20 9:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the Bike Course, I can carry four bottles on the Bike. I actually just removed the stupid Elite Aero Bottle and went with a standard cage. Depending on the Temperature, I can get through 56 Miles on a Half IM with a gulp or so water left (I only took three bottles with me to TC, I'm an idiot). So for me if you did four aid stations on the bike that would probably be perfect. I'd fill up at the halfway point. Where it gets tricky is the Marathon, whether someone brings a vest or not, I think you need a helluva lot more aid stations out there for a variety of reasons. Bike, definitely can carry most nutrition for at least a half IM.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigDig wrote:
Scottxs wrote:

LOL tell thousands of athletes who have jobs, families, and responsibilities that there is "no need" for their families and friends to support them. These families have sacrificed a lot so their athlete could train to do a IM. Tell the families that their support was in vain because there is "no need" for them to see the end results of their own sacrifice. Good luck with that BS.

So after all the sacrifice the families do they have to sacrifice another entire day? To hell with that, let them live their lives. My A race is a half ironman in my town and one year my family came to watch me finish and the next year my son came to watch me finish because he happened to be there surfing. Why should they waste a perfectly good weekend day to watch me for a few seconds every half hour ride by on my bike or run by? If they want to see that they can just look out the window just about every day.

Well if you and your family have issues than I suggest you work them out in privet and not here on ST......the rest of us will just have our families support us in any way they wish and not put limitation on them.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
BigDig wrote:
Scottxs wrote:

LOL tell thousands of athletes who have jobs, families, and responsibilities that there is "no need" for their families and friends to support them. These families have sacrificed a lot so their athlete could train to do a IM. Tell the families that their support was in vain because there is "no need" for them to see the end results of their own sacrifice. Good luck with that BS.

So after all the sacrifice the families do they have to sacrifice another entire day? To hell with that, let them live their lives. My A race is a half ironman in my town and one year my family came to watch me finish and the next year my son came to watch me finish because he happened to be there surfing. Why should they waste a perfectly good weekend day to watch me for a few seconds every half hour ride by on my bike or run by? If they want to see that they can just look out the window just about every day.

Well if you and your family have issues than I suggest you work them out in privet and not here on ST......the rest of us will just have our families support us in any way they wish and not put limitation on them.

With respect, I hope if the race organisation or anyone in authority put a limitation on it I hope you observe that. If they don't then great. To be blunt family support is clearly not needed. It's lovely but it isn't needed. Let's be honest, the races themselves aren't needed in any real sense.

Nobody needs to argue any of this on an emotional level. When we look back at this there will be many, many examples of people who put what they wanted to do ahead of the right thing to do. The post you replied to made a suggestion, I thought it was a good one. You can just discuss that. A race without family support isn't for you, make that point but without the histrionics.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
I appreciate that the "business must go on"... but at $800 per race. I want aid station at every 20 km on the bike, every 2 km on the run.. and a pre / post race celebration.

We could all do solo self supported contact free race in our backyard, for fee.

note: There is no way i could travel to a country with 20,000 new case per day without having to go thru some kind of quarantine on the way back.... even if the race is "contact fee". I'm sign up for IMAZ, and i will not go if any form of social distancing is still recommended.

I would say social distancing, and changes in aid stations, awards, etc., are going to be around for a long time, many years, so your participation in WTC events is probably over for good...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
People can easily fit more than three bottles worth on and/or in their bikes and then add a small hydration pack and you are good for 90k..Fast Ultra runners use hydration packs in races all the time.There is no need for an aid station every mile on the run.Every five or six miles would be fine depending on the course.

The races will no longer be full service and that comes at a cost.That cost will be time on the clock at the end of the day.

FWIW, I am totally on board with this and +1 it. I have only ever grabbed 1-2 bottles of water on 70.3 bikes because I had them available and can easily fit them on my bike ahead of time and never even have to slow down at aid stations. Even in hot races, one can just be prepared. I do worry about all the BOPers who never come prepared even in the best of times that they will more often require medical attention, but there isn't much IM can do about stupidity. Plain and simple, IMs can be self-supported easily as long as participants understand that and know their needs. If these become the norm for a year and scare away those who just CAN'T deal with having to carry their own shit, good riddance.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
You know what's not complicated? Aid stations every 10-15 miles in which someone hands me water or Gatorade. While they're wearing gloves and masks, of course.

I think it is complicated because staffing those aid stations will be difficult unless IM plans to pay people to do it (which will then make things 10x more complicated with employment law). I agree there should still be aid stations for safety, even if I would personally not plan on using them, but they may necessarily be every 20-30 miles...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [Mindy00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mindy00 wrote:
JasonGeorge wrote:
(1) IM events which already rely heavily on volunteers, are going to have serious difficulty getting people to sign up as volunteers going forward;

Completely disagree on having difficulty finding volunteers.

What makes you so sure? Most polls in the US show broad support for social distancing guidelines and measures to limit the spread. That gives most people here the indication that, when faced with the opportunity to volunteer at an aid station, those individuals will choose not to for the safety of themselves and their families. Until there is a vaccine widely available, a big part of society will tend to be risk averse which is also why we are going to see that just reopening the economy isn't going to get it back up again any time soon.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply

Prev Next