Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines
Quote | Reply
https://www.ironman.com/athlete-smart

Five Principles:

Enhanced Hygiene

• Hand sanitizer, hand washing stations and disinfectant wipes will be readily available around our race venues. Cleaning of common venue areas will be enhanced.

• Staff and volunteers will be provided with face coverings and gloves to be used while working in all athlete-facing areas. Athletes will be provided with face coverings at packet pick-up and we expect that athletes wear a face covering around our event venues.
Screening & Education

• We are rolling out training for staff and volunteers in appropriate personal health, personal hygiene, and safe support in necessary functional areas.

• We will be expanding our IRONMAN Smart Programs to provide Volunteer Smart guidelines for staff and volunteers.

• Athletes, staff and volunteers will be required to fill out a pre-race health questionnaire.

• We will in many venues institute no-touch body temperature screening.
Density Reduction

• Our teams are instituting measures to increase space for athletes and supporting personnel in areas such as swim start, transition, and finish line.

• In addition, we are making appropriate modifications to, or elimination of, non-essential race services like banquets, in-person race briefings, etc.
Touchpoint Minimization

• We will be reducing or removing touchpoints and points of interaction between staff, participants, and volunteers in many aspects of the event. We have redesigned and reimagined areas such as athlete check-in, expo, merchandise, transition area and finish line to minimize person-to-person contact.

• Aid stations will be reconfigured to minimize both athlete-to-volunteer and athlete-to-athlete contact.
Athlete Self-Reliance

• Through the Athlete Smart program, athletes will be empowered to determine their individual level of self-reliance to further minimize interaction and touch-points with race officials and volunteers.

• Athletes will be encouraged to Race Smart™ by carrying nutrition and hydration while utilizing items such as hydration vests and event offered special needs stations.

• Athletes should review and embrace Athlete Smart Tips

Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about spectators? I didn’t see any mention on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the details I've read so far, including encouraging athletes to wear masks around race venues, but I would want to see more details regarding density reduction in transition and on course before registering for a race. Of course, they are going to keep the merchandise store on site. ;)
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 28, 20 15:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Our teams are instituting measures to increase space for athletes and supporting personnel in areas such as swim start, transition, and finish line.

can we keep this one when the world gets back to normal?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"athletes are encouraged to use hydration vests"

I can't be the only person to remember Sanders at Kona doing this...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not so sure about the whole carry your own hydration thing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am trying to visualize how this will work and I think I know how it works.

• Big long spaced line up to start the swim that goes 1km long per 500 athletes (2m spacing)
  • You load up your special needs bag and you drop it off at the special needs pick up zone before the race
  • During bike race, you stop, and get your special needs bag....you risk touching bags of others but that's the risk you take if you use that....if not carry all your own....you lose whatever time you will lose at special needs, but that's just part of the race now
  • On the run race, you can run with your own fuel belt, or you can pick up whatever you want at an aid station yourself. You may be close to another athletes or even ending up rubbing shoulders at an aid station, but that's the risk you take

I can see this working in real life. On the run, you're going to pass and be passed, but that's not different than running in the local park in most cities.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [Mindy00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mindy00 wrote:

You only need to stop once during an Ironman ride to reload your nutrition. For a 70.3 ride,no need to stop at all.

Ultra trail runners have been carrying their own nutrition for years.

Triathletes just need to adjust their thinking.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: May 28, 20 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Every 70.3 I’ve participated in, I’ve seen more than a handful of people running with fuel belts or hand held bottles. A lot of races are going to this method anyway to attempt to become more “green” and cut down on trash/waste.

I’m all for being inconvenienced a little if it means returning to racing soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As we used to say in the Army: This briefs well, but this is jut not going to work.

I do like the whole elimination of the athlete meeting though!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
As we used to say in the Army: This briefs well, but this is jut not going to work.

I do like the whole elimination of the athlete meeting though!

Agreed with both of your comments.

Just like the similar USAT document it’s a lot of words, saying almost nothing, with no particular details about how any of it is going to be real world implemented.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seriously don't understand the point of a health screening, especially at athletic events.

If you feel bad and DON'T stay at home, are you then going to admit that to some rando stranger?

What's the point?
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
I seriously don't understand the point of a health screening, especially at athletic events.

If you feel bad and DON'T stay at home, are you then going to admit that to some rando stranger?

What's the point?

Health screening was already a part of packet pick up.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Mindy00 wrote:

You only need to stop once during an Ironman ride to reload your nutrition. For a 70.3 ride,no need to stop at all.

Ultra trail runners have been carrying their own nutrition for years.

Triathletes just need to adjust their thinking.

I believe Lisa Bentley used to carry all her nutrition/liquid or an IM. 2 behind the saddle, two on the frame, and one between aerobars.

3rd overall in Kona and too many other IM wins to remember.

She was also a 125 lbs woman, so that 5 bottle plan for an IM may not work for larger males. But hey, she was carrying around 6 lbs of liquid with her on a 125 lbs body, so its not insignificant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra folks can have outside assistance?

IM should allow this.... have your crew support you on both bike an run... just get rid of aid stations.... have a little team work and strategy.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:

IM should allow this.... have your crew support you on both bike an run... just get rid of aid stations.... have a little team work and strategy.

The goal is to limit the amount of people on the course not add to it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goal is to limit density not necessarily numbers
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
rubik wrote:

What's the point?

Health screening was already a part of packet pick up.

The only time I have ever had any type of health screening at a race was the last IM I did in December where I got weighed. It sounds like this will be going into a lot more detail than that. As OP mentioned, who is going to tell some random stranger they don't feel good and risk being excluded from the race. I would bet it is just an attempt by IM show they are making and effort, so they can minimize there liability if anything happens.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:

Oh yeah,that would work just great,over a thousand individual crew vehicles on course.Holy shit,it is bad enough to control 50 of them in Ultraman.The multi Irons do well with crews and not aid stations using a pit lane set-up but again,very low numbers.

Sometimes the idiot masses need to be controlled by rules because they are just that,idiots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming all else equal, are enough folks going to be lining up to volunteer for a socially distanced Ironman™ ? I know I wouldn't be. Like others said, these guidelines seem like a lot of fluff and no real-world substance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with much of what is said above. In particular: (1) IM events which already rely heavily on volunteers, are going to have serious difficulty getting people to sign up as volunteers going forward; (2) these high-level guidelines sound good and are very similar to guidelines being produced by many others for a whole host of purposes, but are short on implementation details in an IM event context; and (3) what about spectators?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do they mean that their will be enough bike pump for everyone and toilette paper for everyone all day?!?
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [JasonGeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasonGeorge wrote:
I agree with much of what is said above. In particular: (1) IM events which already rely heavily on volunteers, are going to have serious difficulty getting people to sign up as volunteers going forward; (2) these high-level guidelines sound good and are very similar to guidelines being produced by many others for a whole host of purposes, but are short on implementation details in an IM event context; and (3) what about spectators?

Spectator guidelines:
- ban spouses from pushing double-wide baby strollers (empty) where they are oblivious to their surroundings
- ban the avg 1.93 kids (at least one should be in the empty stroller) from aimlessly wandering/running around where they are oblivious to their surroundings. The wandering gets worst as the day goes on as that very brief enthusiasm from the early morning quickly faded away as they wait...and wait...and wait..and wait...wait for that micro-second opportunity to yell "you look great" to their racer.
- ban same from dragging a pull wagon where they are oblivious to their surroundings loaded with enough supplies to base camp for a month.
- ban "Big Head" signs
- ban families from all wearing the same home-made "support" shirts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asking athletes to bring their own nutrition and fluid is not undoable. There are lots of very very long self-supported races. I already try to carry my own nutrition on the bike and only pick up bottles of water.

It seems like it might mean the rules would also change. If you drop a bottle you will have much bigger reasons and pressure to pick it up. It doesn't explain (yet) if there would be hydration offered in some other way. It seems like a safety minded race director would really want to at least have places to pick up water on a 112 mile summer bike ride. But if there isn't any offered how can you prohibit people from leaving the course or taking assistance from strangers. If you misjudge how much to bring - you just might really need that flexibility.
Quote Reply

Prev Next