Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [Vince@HED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a tubular tire. I run dugasts rhinos at 20 psi over roots and all sorts of hard things in cyclocross and haven't gotten a pinch flat. I can't even imagine the possibility of a pinch flat on a road tubie pumped up to 120psi.
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
See Vince's reply above. I am not being overzealous. You need to have the wheel built on a different hub to get it fit the Transition. I would think I could be forgiven for not knowing there is a special hub required for certain frames.

well, since you were wrong about the brake issue, I just figured you were wrong about this, too! I didn't actually realize there was a hub issue, since the new S9 I used was laced to a PT hub. There's no issue with the rim and clearance.[/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
See Vince's reply above. I am not being overzealous. You need to have the wheel built on a different hub to get it fit the Transition. I would think I could be forgiven for not knowing there is a special hub required for certain frames.

well, since you were wrong about the brake issue, I just figured you were wrong about this, too! I didn't actually realize there was a hub issue, since the new S9 I used was laced to a PT hub. There's no issue with the rim and clearance.
[/reply]
Fair enough. I am getting further clarification on the exact particulars of "cannot" use. I do my best to be objective, and I have a very good relationship - that I do not make a secret of - with Zipp. If there is some way in which they misspoke to me or I misinterpreted a conversation with them, I will obviously correct that. Especially with regards to not fitting certain brakes, it would be foolish to say something that could so easily be proven false - i.e., as you said, it fits your brakes - so I will get clarification.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

It's also worth noting that VeloNews had a production prototype of the new 808 Firecrest on hand...

Would that be a tubular 808 Firecrest, or a CC 808 Firecrest? I only ask since there seems to be some confusion about the 2 individual features ;-)

For this particular test, it was a tubular 808 Firecrest that was made available, since that was the first one made, as it needed to be made available sooner since that is what was ridden in the TdF by Saxo and Astana.

Damned pros driving which products are produced first again....arghhh ;-)

So...let me get this straight what you're saying about this VN test...apparently the Stinger 9 is some special version that nobody has or can buy, but they refused to test the Firecrest 808 that Zipp gave them because it's not available yet?

Somebody at VN (or Hed) has some 'splainin' to do! What Stinger 9 was it that they tested?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [Vince@HED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
We say a 23mm tire for increased impact resistance. The 22mm and lower tires could ..... could ..... be more prone to pinch flats because of the C2 rim causes the tire to spread wider and the edges of the rim will hit the tire and pinch it. The 23mm tire will give the tire enough room to stop that possibility of pinch flatting

But, does running a tire narrower than 23 void the warranty as Jordan wrote above?

Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe it says as much on their website. I still run bonty anyway. It's a tt wheel not a choice I'd use for crits.
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But, does running a tire narrower than 23 void the warranty as Jordan wrote above?

Yes.
http://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/stinger9.asp
Quote:
Stinger wheels are designed for 23mm tires. Aerodynamically this is the optimum width. The Hed C2 tire well is most impact resistant with 23mm or larger tires. We do not recommend narrower tires, using a tire less than 23mm will void the warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [Puppet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Yes.
http://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/stinger9.asp
Quote:
Stinger wheels are designed for 23mm tires. Aerodynamically this is the optimum width. The Hed C2 tire well is most impact resistant with 23mm or larger tires. We do not recommend narrower tires, using a tire less than 23mm will void the warranty.

I guess that means that VN tested the wheel in a configuration that the manufacturer says voids the warranty...what's up with that?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although the Stinger 90 will be a little deeper than the 808. The fact that it is faster will help in producing lower yaws, in addition the airflow stays attached to a higher yaw. The combination of the 2 could produce a better handling wheel than the 808. Isn't it when the air stalls that we start the violent turbulence which creates poor handling? If the air never stalls then handling should be more than manageable. Competition is good, it helps us get better innovation. With that being said I would also like to know what Stinger 9 was tested. And to my knowledge the 2009 and 2010 stinger are the same except that one uses a 12K weave for the fairing (2009) versus a unidirectional layup (2010). The 2010 fairing is thus therefore lighter. I am rather frustrated though that you can never find this information without directly talking to someone at HED.

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [electusunus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just want to further correct some misinformation on this thread - I have used a stinger 9 without a problem on SRAM Force, Zero Gravity, and Ultegra 6700 brakes. You really have to open up the calipers, but it works just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know where the confusion came from, sorry if I didnt clarify myself on my post.

The Stinger 9 used in the VN test is the exact same wheel that customers can buy if they ordered one today. There isnt anything special or secret about the Stinger used in the VN tests. The difference between the 09 and the 10 Stinger is the weave. That resulted in some weight savings but the biggest benefit was the increase in stiffness. The 10 Stinger is stiffer than the 09 Stinger.

The 2010 wheel was used in the test.

-------
HED. Cycling - Twitter @hedcycling - HED Wheel Selector iPhone App
Last edited by: Vince@HED: Jul 29, 10 14:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no wonder you had to make it stiffer.

Last edited by: SeasonsChange: Jul 29, 10 14:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent.
More dirt thrown at Hed Wheels by an athlete sponsored by a competing brand.
Well, of course the NEW Zipp wheels will be better. According to Zipp, that is.
More importantly, for my purposes, Hed Stinger 9s are also $800 cheaper.
Don't you think you have a bit of a bias problem here?
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [SurfnRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, that is a Zipp wheel. Its had to see but in that picture there are black carbon end caps. We dont use carbon end caps

-------
HED. Cycling - Twitter @hedcycling - HED Wheel Selector iPhone App
Last edited by: Vince@HED: Jul 29, 10 15:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, cav runs zipps.
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [liquidsystm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, lol....quite the picture posting fail right there!

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team