Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [zebragonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This tread was not dead?
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [bushpilot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. Based on the discussions on this thread, I had some interesting stuff to share like the turbulence patterns off a 404 firecrest or:

or, for those wanting numbers, the drag of a 404 firecrest at 12.5° yaw appears to be 75grams.

Sorry for raising the thread.
Last edited by: zebragonzo: Aug 16, 10 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [zebragonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Fair enough. Based on the discussions on this thread, I had some interesting stuff to share like the turbulence patterns off a 404 firecrest or:

or, for those wanting numbers, the drag of a 404 firecrest at 12.5° yaw appears to be 75grams.

Sorry for raising the thread.

Just curious, but that's a rotating wheel model right? Did you grab the shape off of the cross-section pics that were published?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rotating wheel(well, moving walls), cross section as shown on zipp site.
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [Vince@HED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... in 3 months when the new stuff comes out at Eurobike/Interbike this test is null and outdated because the new wheels are coming that will be faster then the ones tested. That is from both HED and Zipp, hell, Easton could have a wheel that nobody knows about that beats everybody.

That is what is exciting about competition. You never know what the next day will have in store for you.

Well, it's interbike... Since I'm not there, the only thing I saw (as of today) is on the "Day 3 pics" at the front page of Slowtwitch (Stinger 5)...

What else is new? I'm a Hed fanboy, so I wanna know... :)

----------------------------------------------------------

keep it simple , keep it real .
--Brett Sutton

But i dont really know that much about bikes. I just sit on em and do as i am told. peddle. hard and fast.
--Chrissie Wellington

I think the best way to get faster is to enjoy it, the more you do the better you get, so go out and enjoy swim, biking and running, and don't feel to constrained and just do lots.
--Stephen Bayliss
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey HED - what's new for your wheels for those that can't make it to Eurobike?

Perhaps update your website with a media release, pictures etc.

(I have never understood the lack of information given to the public from several cycling companies - it isn't that hard to update a website. You'd think that as soon as public release is made someone presses a button to load a file for the website. For example, Zipp released the 808 carbon clincher and it's already on it's website, that's not a marketing budget - that is organisation).
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [The Real Animal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In regards to Chinese QC in general...

It's not as if this American (if not Western) position regarding Chinese manufacturing is misplaced ethnocentrism. Remember back to 2007 when chemicals from antifreeze were found in toothpastes stateside? Remember the melamine-laced dairy product scandals? I want to say over 141 babies died of acute renal failure. I know the total number of impacted children was significantly higher. Then there was the Eukanuba pet food animal deaths. So I think writing off concerns about Chinese product manufacturing really is premature. This is a public perception that has been shaped through rather poignant media coverage. People really seem to have a soft spot for their children and pets. I think we write it off a lot easier to ignore this stuff when it's just our material posessions that are linked to a nations reputation. However, when familial relationships are threatened (if only on an emotional perception level), we sit up and take notice much quicker, and are much slower to forget (perhaps the specifics we will forget, but grudges are something we humans do tend to foster).

I have gotten a lot of second hand information from 4 friends who spent the last year or two in china. Two spent it in Hohhot, one in Guangzhou, and I can't recall where my other friend was located. But he relocated to Boston for med school shortly after he returned, so he has been relatively absent from this conversation, but he has echoed the same struggles and problems in my short communications with him. Furthermore, my former debate coach is working with the IDEA debate program...mostly in Shanghai, I believe. The general consensus is that America has a fundamental misunderstanding of Chinese work and discourse. The impression I NOW have is one of corporations with hands tied to the approval of government officials (look into literature about the % GDP expended on wining and dining gov't officials - there are even communist party members that are publicly voicing concern about how bad it is).

Here's a story about someone who has played the role of importer... I'll admit up front, I haven't read the book, and the title IS really aggressive, but I thought it was at least a lively read:

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/alpha-consumer/2009/04/23/explaining-chinas-quality-control-problems

Oh, and just throwing this out there - the Chinese 10 hour schoolday? Yeah, it comes with a 2 hour lunch break. Shoot, North Koreans even get that! Ironic, since they don't really get anything to eat...

Seriously, don't take me too seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you also modeled the legacy shape or the V-rim they also show in that graphic? That might provide some interesting comparison.

Was the tire a generic shape or based on some known profile?
Quote Reply

Prev Next