Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Of course there is the story of how NASA spent millions to develop a pen that would write in zero gravity and the Russians just use a pencil. Seems like Edges system of molding in holes vs cutting fibers would be a better, and possibly less expensive solution.

Styrrell

This story is a somewhat of an urban legend. NASA did use pencils at the beginning of the space program, although pencils have the downside of having parts that can break off, and in zero gravity it's not too safe to have sharp piece of lead and splinters floating around. Also, in the high oxygen environment of the space capsules having easily combustible material handy is not a great idea. The pressurized pens were developed independently and NASA began purchased them after they were developed.
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks roady,

Looking at the new HED website it appears that the '09 Stinger 9 which we and Gary have is equivalent to the Zipp 1080 which I'm guessing is the 180 mm labelled wheel - that curve is identical to the Zipp 1080 curve on the new chart. The '10 Stinger 9 however is better as it doesn't stall until ~ 16 degrees.

Do you have any record of when you got this chart ??
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [AFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Yep, the file is from 01/15/2009.
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [The Real Animal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I find it laughable that anyone would think chinese carbon fibre is somehow a lower quality then American. Give it up anyone trying to claim that a wheel is better because it is made by an American Citizen as opposed to a citizen of an Asian country. That is pathetic.

This tells me you haven't done business over there, nor have you been following the news. The business culture in China is fundamentally dishonest. If the guy you're working with isn't trying to screw you, the guys supplying him sure are. If they think you aren't testing your materials they'll substitute the cheapest thing they can find that looks similar. You wanted a moisture resistant plastic? Too bad...you got ABS which degrades in high humidity. You wanted milk? Too bad you got melamine.

It's TOUGH to make a quality product in china. It can be done, but it requires a LOT of effort. And honestly, for a small outfit like HED, it's very difficult. You need guys on site fairly frequently to look over the manufacturer's shoulder, and check stuff. You also need people to inspect incoming product. That all takes time and effort.

This is not to say that HEDs are lower quality than Zipps. They are a successful company and I'm sure they have processes that work for them. I just want to point out that it DOES really really matter where materials are sourced from. American business culture is far from perfect but it is FAR more honest than what goes on in China.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Yep, the file is from 01/15/2009.

Thanks - that was before I bought the Stinger 9 on 1/23/09. Do you happen to know when the new Stinger 9 data came out ?? I know that the new Stinger Disc data came out between 1/23 and 2/12 of '09. Tryin' to build a case that I bought based on the new data but got the old wheel but I think I'm SOL. (:-) Oh, well - a lower cost 1080 equivalent isn't bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you happen to know when the new Stinger 9 data came out ??

My best guess is early 2010, but that's a guess.

Look at it this way; you can run the Crono 22's on the old wheel, so given the Crr of those tires chances are you may have a faster setup!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Look at it this way; you can run the Crono 22's on the old wheel, so given the Crr of those tires chances are you may have a faster setup!

(;-) - that's exactly why I had the tire off when this thread started - making the switch to the Crono 22.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would seem to me the best tire is a Vittoria EVO CX 23mm for the 2010 version of the Stinger 9. That is the tire I am using. Or take a chance and use the 21mm version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

For sure, but only in clean roads. Crono tubulars will puncture notably easier than a Corsa EVO CX tubular.

I have fitted a wheel for a TT even with a Pista EVO CS tubular (which is even less resistant to puncturing than the Crono) but that was on a very clean GP F1 race track where I knew that the possibility of a flat was very low.

Lower Crr sometims brings along lower Pr. When to use a faster wheel that is also less puncture resistant? That is the question.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used an older chrono without flatting for an IM race. I'm pretty sure that this years chrono (22mm) is a bit more puncture resistant than the older one. If I had the new stinger I'd be pretty tempted to use the chrono. It depends on how it looked on the wheel.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fwiw the bonty RXLpro22 works on the "old" 2009-2010, for the front wheel anyway

not sure what tire to use on the "new" 27mm rim, probably vitt evo cx 23

has Vince confirmed that there are two Stinger S9 models, the 24mm wide and 27mm wide versions?
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Chrono is too skinny still.... I would go with the Veloflex Record 22 - it is a bit wider than the Chrono and I'm sure the RR is comparable to or better than Record 20

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do we have someone with a 09 Stinger that measures 24mm wide at brake track?

If we do I know mine is just shy of 28mm. That would convince me that there are two versions.
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Measured my 09 stinger 9 at 24mm, outer brake track
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks firstly to Rappstar for helping me to figure out the stiffness of wheels etc. (still hard for me to conceptualize that a wheel I used to ping against my brakes and seatstays is stiffer though). Frankly all I care about is that on the '10 Stinger 90s I do not have to open up my rear brake before a sprint. I am still not happy about the rear wheel weighing 100 grams more than is listed on the Hed site but I'll wait to see what Hed has to say about that misrepresentation. At present I use 320 tpi 23mm CXs but have some nice 23mm Corsa Evo Slicks waiting to be glued. A friend has the '09 Stinger 90s and CX21mm are perfect for his wheelset.

23mm for the '10 Stinger 90s is almost a hair too small but I followed AFM's gluing protocol and held them into position while they dried using tape (especially at the valve stem where I tape around the tire and rim so that when inflated the tire doesn't lift off the rim and give me an undesirable hop).

cheers all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do we have someone with a 09 Stinger that measures 24mm wide at brake track?

If we do I know mine is just shy of 28mm. That would convince me that there are two versions.

Same here - 24 mm. I have other measurements listed in a post from a few days ago. I got my Stinger 9 in Jan of '09.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now it pretty clear to me that there are two versions. Why would HED not make a big deal about coming out with a new version? Or naming it something else?

Companies spend a fortune coming out with new versions. You sell your customers to upgrade. Why not here?

Maybe there was a lot of the old ones in inventory and they want to move them before announcing a new version?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you, very strange. Maybe the new Stinger 9 will be their big announcement at Interbike?

For what it's worth, I bought my Stinger 9 in Jan 10 from a large online retailer. It's 24mm at the brake track, serial number 8KA2248. Two days ago I asked Hed, via twitter, if this was the same wheel used in the test... they said yes.

Duncan
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [DClarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had two Stinger 9s. But I did not measure the first one. It was replaced about a month ago shipped directly by HED and the new one is definitely 28mm wide.
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [DClarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check to see what type of carbon fiber fairing you have as well on your Stinger 9. Is it made of unidirectional carbon or 12K carbon weave. I tried to purchase a "2010 Advertised Stinger 90" from Trisports.com (May 2010) and after placing my order I had someone actually check the wheel and it was the old weave edition. I told them that it is a 2009 and they told me they wouldn't give me a 2010 until this one was sold, needless to say I canceled my order. It seems that maybe HED kept it quiet because they didn't want to de-value the stock of 2009 out there and their own supply. Although my Stinger 90 is currently with my bike being fixed, it is wider than the sub9 at the brack track so I presume it to be a 2010. It was purchased on here from one of the HED Mafia guys. I am interested in knowing if anyone has the narrower wheel bed but still the new unidirectional carbon fairing.

Visit The Chipotle Calorie Calculator
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [electusunus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Check to see what type of carbon fiber fairing you have as well on your Stinger 9. Is it made of unidirectional carbon or 12K carbon weave. I tried to purchase a "2010 Advertised Stinger 90" from Trisports.com (May 2010) and after placing my order I had someone actually check the wheel and it was the old weave edition. I told them that it is a 2009 and they told me they wouldn't give me a 2010 until this one was sold, needless to say I canceled my order. It seems that maybe HED kept it quiet because they didn't want to de-value the stock of 2009 out there and their own supply. Although my Stinger 90 is currently with my bike being fixed, it is wider than the sub9 at the brack track so I presume it to be a 2010. It was purchased on here from one of the HED Mafia guys. I am interested in knowing if anyone has the narrower wheel bed but still the new unidirectional carbon fairing.

This will date me but does anyone remember the Osborne Personal Computer ??
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [AFM [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello AFM and All,

............... and the IMSAI and the Commodore Pet. I had a Commodore Pet.

I also owned a small corporation that sold Alpha Microsystems computers and other products for a few years in Redmond, WA.

And of course Osborne canabalized their market by touting the next coming model killing current sales.

Auto compaines seem to get away with it (touting newer and better early on) by discounting older models.

Zipp, with a price differential, will probably be OK with their 404 Aluminium rim vs. carbon rim wheels for awhile.

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [Vince@HED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as the data goes, I will have to check on that for you. I have only been at HED. when the data for the new Stingers were published/posted online. I will ask around to see if we have the older data.

In Reply To:
You got it buddy!

It might be late on Sunday. I am headed to Ragbrai this weekend, leaving soon

Roady was able to dig up some older data which I think covers the early and narrow Stinger 9 but was wondering if you had found anything else. Sorry if this is a repeat question - I've been in the backwoods (literally) for the past week.
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [AFM [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hello AFM and All,

............... and the IMSAI and the Commodore Pet. I had a Commodore Pet.

Speaking of Commodores...I actually still have a C64 complete setup (including floppy drive and printer) in the original boxes in my garage...I wonder what that setup would go for on Ebay? ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Velonews aero wheel test... Stinger 9 is the best [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone got anything approaching a cross section of the HED 40(ish) mm wheel?
Quote Reply

Prev Next