Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [RichA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The power smoothing only affects display. We still record power once a second.

I'm not sure why the two look different. I'd inspect the individual TCX files and see what the difference is in the watts. Some of the graphing software smooths the data for you, so I wouldn't trust graphs.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [iurnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iurnman wrote:
I absolutely love TR! I enjoy every work out and have never pushed it like this on a trainer. Great job to you guys.

That's a good testimonial :). Make sure you keep your structured bike training up throughout the summer.

The TrainerRoad head coach Chad, owns 3 computrainer studios. He's been prescribing these workouts for about 5 years now. Every year he sees people build a really great base in the winter then go outdoors and just putz around and go back to "long slow training". They think they need to just log miles rather than do some strong intervals and raise their FTP.

It's such a shame. It's sorta like making all the winter training not worth it.

I think that (most) people on slowtwitch know better though.

We're working on letting you download our workouts to a Garmin or Joule so you can do them outdoors power based or heart rate based.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
iurnman wrote:

We're working on letting you download our workouts to a Garmin or Joule so you can do them outdoors power based or heart rate based.

Great idea. And here I was about to sign off for the season...

owner: world's tightest psoas (TM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did the multiplayer demo go? Wasn't that supposed to be sometime this month? Ive got about 7 guys using this thing every morning, we cant wait to put our numbers up on the big screen against each other. Hows it coming?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [smugfit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice FTP improvement and great testimonial. Congrats!

Nate, any update on the Powerbeam Pro support?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
The TrainerRoad head coach Chad...

...is now my sworn mortal enemy. Goddamn 140% FTP intervals.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [smugfit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It went well :). Can't talk too much about it at the moment but I think we'll get it out in a couple months.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [multisport4me] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are having problems with the power beam pro. We've reached out to cycleops to see if it's on our end or theirs. We are kinda stuck at the moment until we get a response.

The sorta good news is that when we allow people to download workouts to do outdoor ride, you'll also be able to download them and put them on your joule for indoor training.

I know that isn't 1/10 as good as TrainerRoad controlling it directly. But it's better than manually controlling the power.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another +1 for trainer road. I've been hitting it 3-4 times a week since early December, which is the big thing, just riding a lot, but the structure has definitely pushed me beyond what I would have done just watching Sportscenter for most of those workouts in the New England winter. First race yesterday on a similar course to last year, same bike, etc and improved 1.9 mph for the split to 24.1 mph for an 11 mile sprint. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, been using trainer road for 3 months now. I'm seeing the same increases in FTP as others have seen.

Question for you: Is the new 2 - 20 min FTP test really accurate for determining FTP? Just finished up with another 22 watt gain from 4 weeks ago. Just checking.

Thanks.

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [in10siv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it all depends on you. If you want to measure improvements with a test, I would stick with the same test each time so it's apples and apples.

You don't even have to test though; it's probably not the best way anyways.

Check out these two links:

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/...ven-deadly-sins.html
http://support.trainerroad.com/...hould-i-raise-my-ftp

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nate for an awesome program. I was just curious bc I'm familiar with the 8 min test and the 20 min test. The 2-20 min test was new to me. I was curious on who came up with that method to calculate FTP.

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [in10siv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the method endurance nation uses. We did a little thin for their members so that's why we used it.

And, you're welcome! :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate,

Again, thanks for such a great program. I suffer a serious accident on my bike 2 1/2 weeks ago while riding outdoors that left me with torn ligaments in my shoulder. Well that's kept me out of the pool and doing minimal running. My primary bike was damaged too. This injury turned into something positive as I've hit Trainer road pretty hard. I took one rest day after the accident and was back on my other bike, a hybrid bike with a more upright position, the next day. I connected all my ant+ devices to the other bike and did not skip my bike training, yes even with a messed up shoulder. Over these last 2 1/2 weeks I have seen an improvement in power. I'm getting my new bike tomorrow, a Felt B2 and I plan to do a test soon. I know I will see some bigger numbers. The shoulder is better and I'll be back in the pool soon but I came out of all this a stronger bike rider thanks to Trainer Road.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [King of Pain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that sounds rough. I'm glad you're getting better on the bike though. Sometimes it's good to be able to focus on a sport.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
It went well :). Can't talk too much about it at the moment but I think we'll get it out in a couple months.

We're starting indoor cycle training up here in NZ on 15 May through to September. Any chance we could be beta testers?

Currently looking at Perfpro as it already offers multi users sharing an ANT stick - up to 8 devices on one ANT stick. Only downside there is that it appears the ANT stick is limiting the number of connected devices until a way to use multiple ANT sticks is found...or have you solved that?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [irncpl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any insider info on when they anticipate custom workout creation? Using Free Ride works but it is so much nicer to have the target numbers and graph.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jbugno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbugno wrote:
Anyone have any insider info on when they anticipate custom workout creation? Using Free Ride works but it is so much nicer to have the target numbers and graph.

Trainer Road? Perfpro does this quite well. What I'm after ore than anything else is more than 8 connected ANT+ devices

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [irncpl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irncpl wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:

We're starting indoor cycle training up here in NZ on 15 May through to September. Any chance we could be beta testers?

Currently looking at Perfpro as it already offers multi users sharing an ANT stick - up to 8 devices on one ANT stick. Only downside there is that it appears the ANT stick is limiting the number of connected devices until a way to use multiple ANT sticks is found...or have you solved that?

We've solved that. We're focusing on online stuff first before we do more at the same location.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [jbugno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're working on it. You'll see a release of online stuff before custom workout stuff.

We want custom workout stuff to go in with a bunch of coaching features.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Trainer Road AWESOMENESS!!!

That carpet/rug must be garbage by now from sweat and drive chain grease/dirt. Is that seriously how you set that up?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

That carpet/rug must be garbage by now from sweat and drive chain grease/dirt. Is that seriously how you set that up?

The rug was there prior to the set up being put in place. The rug is being removed and we are putting in a rubberized gym mat type tile floor. Believe it or not the rug is still perfect... and has no grease at all. The fan works great, and the rug doesn't really get too wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
drluke12 wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

The rug was there prior to the set up being put in place. The rug is being removed and we are putting in a rubberized gym mat type tile floor. Believe it or not the rug is still perfect... and has no grease at all. The fan works great, and the rug doesn't really get too wet.

Hmm, strange. The rubberized gym mat would be a great idea. I know that I keep an old sheet under my bike, since I get lot's of grease coming off (I use white lightning chain lube). Despite having a "clean as a whistle" drivetrain to start my indoor season, I still eventually got lot's of greasy flakes coming off (presumably, the lube??). Every week or so, I'd just take the sheet outside and shake it out. Saves completely destroying the carpet, which mine would have been!!

Love the setup you have otherwise!!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drluke12 wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:
drluke12 wrote:
Donzo98 wrote:

Hmm, strange. The rubberized gym mat would be a great idea. I know that I keep an old sheet under my bike, since I get lot's of grease coming off (I use white lightning chain lube). Despite having a "clean as a whistle" drivetrain to start my indoor season, I still eventually got lot's of greasy flakes coming off (presumably, the lube??). Every week or so, I'd just take the sheet outside and shake it out. Saves completely destroying the carpet, which mine would have been!!

Love the setup you have otherwise!!

That bike doesn't leave the basement... you could eat off the cassette and chain. The rug is either getting thrown out or given away... so no biggie either way :)

The set up is so awesome. I love it. I did find that I lost a bit of fitness in the last month mostly because I have been riding outside, and not the structured intervals I had been doing. I am going to make a conscious effort to do some more focused stuff outside... and at least 1 or 2 days/week inside even when the weather is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yah, it's pretty tough to keep up the same intensity outside as you would get doing structured intervals. With the change in weather, I'm riding to work a lot now, and don't really have time for the structured indoor stuff. I just did a tough ride this week though, and felt like the fitness was still there. I'm just trying to pretend when I'm outside that I'm getting crushed by yet another TR interval for 3 minutes at 120% FTP. Hard to do except when going up a hill!
Quote Reply

Prev Next