Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [morey000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morey000 wrote:
Just signed up! Looks like a cool program. Got it set up and will do my first ride tomorrow on my back porch with a laptop. Should be nice and cool, in the 30's.

I'm still recovering from Sunday's marathon (PR and BQ- thank you very much :) ), so I'm looking for a recovery workout. I guess I can do one of the 'free' ones, but it seems that nearly all the workouts have a lot of intense intervals. I'm not sure I understand how to select workouts yet? Any tips on where to start? I'm not ready to do an FTP test yet.

Most of my cycling is long (2-4hr), steady 90-100%LT level stuff. Looks like these are very interval intense. Is that the secret to cycling training? I'm a swimmer and a runner- and really need to build my cycling base at this point.

If you go to the workout page you can filter by type of workout. If you want less intense stuff I would focus on Sweet Spot Training and Threshold work.

For where to start, check out our plans. Depending on how much you've worked already, I would start with our base plan which is mostly SST and some threshold with a little VO2 at the end. Then just follow the plans down. That shifts you from mostly SST to more threshold, anaerobic and VO2 max workouts.

I think the secret to cycling is to stay out of "no man land". That's the level 3 tempo workouts where you don't get much bang for your buck. If you do those plans I bet you'll see a very nice improvement.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
Silvercivic27 wrote:
Yeah, that's what I usually do, but it's borrrrrring. :)

I agree! :)

I'll tell our coach to make some recovery workouts.

While you're at it, I would love to see some more 2 hour and 2 1/2 hour workouts...

In an earlier message, you said you can "turn it down" a bit - do you just adjust your FTP, or is that what that little 100% thingy at the bottom of the screen does? I thought it was just a graph zoom...

Thanks again for a great product - you don't realize it, but you've been totally kicking my ass a few days a week... lol!

Adjust the 100% thingy. That way your TSS will be correct. That scales the intensity of the workout.

Thanks for the compliment! I hope to keep kicking your ass!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
Worked flawlessy with my CT and Garmin HR strap!

2 big things that stand out on 1st ride
1) Auto-Pause
2) Having a full workout graph AND a near-realtime graph

Once i convert SF vids i will try some SF workouts.

Q: I assume if we want to lower the IF on a SF workout we just need to lower our FTP profile before the ride

Q: Any chance there will be an ergvideo interface? That the only thing holding me back from moving this all to a Mac OS

To lower the IF just change the intensity. Since you are on a CT you can just push the minus button. You can turn it down to like 95 or 90% and get a good solid workout that won't make you throw up.

Those Sufferfest videos are so tough because...it's the sufferfest! They are all close to all out efforts.

For ergvideo, there's a very very good chance that you'll get some videos like that :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [iurnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iurnman wrote:
Nate I just did the 20 minute test for the first time and love the s/w. Is there a way to show averages during the workout or am I missing how to do so. I am using as SRM with a Garmin 800 so I guess I can just get it off the Garmin. Just curious.

We show the average interval power through a little dot while you're in the interval.

We plan on improving that though. I'd like to show some data while you're working out how each interval compared to a previous interval. More stuff coming on this.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [iurnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iurnman,
I believe that currently the only average that you can see during the ride is by way of the "white circle" that appears on the power bar. Right where the power indicator bar turns red or green (to show within target) there will be a white "dot", that is your current average for that interval. It is for the current interval only, not the whole workout.

I always have my garmin head unit alongside the computer, set up with all the relevant info though if other data are required.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
We plan on improving that though. I'd like to show some data while you're working out how each interval compared to a previous interval. More stuff coming on this.
Nate, for those of us on Tacx VR trainers, is there a spreadsheet or printout with the raw data points that we could use to 'program' the workout on our trainer? I have a Tacx Bushido and while you can use the head unit to adjust motorbrake resistance, that is a lot of button pushing during an interval workout and it would be much simpler if I had the data points to pre-program the workout and then just ride.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
Nate, for those of us on Tacx VR trainers, is there a spreadsheet or printout with the raw data points that we could use to 'program' the workout on our trainer? I have a Tacx Bushido and while you can use the head unit to adjust motorbrake resistance, that is a lot of button pushing during an interval workout and it would be much simpler if I had the data points to pre-program the workout and then just ride.

Yah, I see what you're saying.

If you look at a workout that someone did the Intervals should be a good guide. That should tell you when all the changes are and you can program them.

That does suck though! Tacx won't give us the keys to control their trainers. They say that in the future, there will be some open standard for us to use, but not right now.

There's also a rumor on the Tacx forum that the Bushido will get a firmware upgrade to output their power data as standard ANT+. If that happen, TR will be able to read the data.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
There's also a rumor on the Tacx forum that the Bushido will get a firmware upgrade to output their power data as standard ANT+. If that happen, TR will be able to read the data.
Interesting, I am one of Tacx's ANT+ BETA testers and I had not heard that rumor but dont I would say not to plan on that anytime soon. When Tacx first entered the market with Bushido nealry 2-years ago, the Bushido firmware was marketed as allowing the handlebar controller to pair with ANT+ Powermeters (PowerTap, SRM, Quarq). We tested the first pass of that firmware update during the 2nd quarter last year and suffice it to say, it was not very user friendly. The second iteration introduced late 3rd quarter was better but still highly susceptible to interference which led to false 'pause' messagges as well as a lot of surging in terms of motorbrake resistance during interval training. Currently we have not heard when the next BETA firmware will be available for test but I am pretty sure that is because Tacx has all hands scrambling to get TTS 4.0 out to market this month which probably means for there small staff, everything else is on the back burner.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe i am the only one having this issue.

but after the update a few days ago, the cadence stopped working. it works on the devices screen and on my garmin, just not on the display during a workout. any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer86 wrote:
fixed

How? I had a similar issue today. Screen was showing target power and next interval target power, but no data for my current power. I thought I had set up my profile with a KK. I reset that tonight and hope that'll correct the issue tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may not be the correct thing, but here's what I did.

It turned out that I had paired both my Quarq power meter(w/ cadence) and my Garmin speed/cadence sensor to the Trainer Road software. When I unpaired the speed/cadence sensor, and kept the Quarq, I got my cadence reading back. My edge 500 still reads my speed.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer86: Jan 20, 12 19:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to add: I finally went to the doctor today after rolling my ankle last week in the "everyone chase David Roche" 10 mile trail race. The Doctor told me to suspend my biking and running for 3-4 weeks until my lateral tendons recover. Looks like it's the pool for me for a while. I still love the Trainerroad software and look forward to some good training in February.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Probably something similar if not the same. When I logged on and checked my profile tonight it was set to a power meter that I don't possess.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done trainer road with sufferfest on a Mac and played it through a larger TV? Best way to do this? Video quality?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Chaloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do it everyday. I have a MacBook Pro, 13" laptop and do Local Hero, HHNF and Angels. I have the laptop hooked up to a 42" TV with an HDMI cable and it works great. You might encounter some hiccups on the video but nothing too jarring that will interrupt your workout, but that depends on your Mac's processor and video capabilities. My MacBook is a few years old so I'm guessing a newer one would not suffer from these issues.

The only problem I've encountered is lost ANT+ signals and the video stops but that is not a problem with my Mac or the software, its that I have the laptop set up a few feet from the bike so its normal that the signal will get lost every once in a while.

The perfect setup would probably be a Mac Mini hooked up permanently to the TV. If I could afford it, I'd get that.
Last edited by: tovi: Jan 21, 12 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately my MacBook has a DVI cable so when I go DVI to HDMI I loose audio. I wonder if I purchased an AppleTV I could just stream andio and video wirelessly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do lose the audio going DVI to HDMI, but you can connect a cable from the audio out headphone jack in your macbook to your TV and pick up the audio that way. It's an extra step, but works great.

I don't think you'll be able to stream from your macbook to an AppleTV (without jail breaking anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [theaud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theaud wrote:
You do lose the audio going DVI to HDMI, but you can connect a cable from the audio out headphone jack in your macbook to your TV and pick up the audio that way. It's an extra step, but works great.

I don't think you'll be able to stream from your macbook to an AppleTV (without jail breaking anyway).

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Apple TV setup won't work. Apple TV runs a version of the iPhone/iPad OS so it won't run TrainerRoad.

I purchased this cable that also passes through audio in addition to HDMI and should work with all systems. It removes the need for an extra cable as was suggested above as it sends the audio through the HDMI cable.
Last edited by: tovi: Jan 21, 12 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
Nate Pearson wrote:
Interesting, I am one of Tacx's ANT+ BETA testers and I had not heard that rumor but dont I would say not to plan on that anytime soon. When Tacx first entered the market with Bushido nealry 2-years ago, the Bushido firmware was marketed as allowing the handlebar controller to pair with ANT+ Powermeters (PowerTap, SRM, Quarq). We tested the first pass of that firmware update during the 2nd quarter last year and suffice it to say, it was not very user friendly. The second iteration introduced late 3rd quarter was better but still highly susceptible to interference which led to false 'pause' messagges as well as a lot of surging in terms of motorbrake resistance during interval training. Currently we have not heard when the next BETA firmware will be available for test but I am pretty sure that is because Tacx has all hands scrambling to get TTS 4.0 out to market this month which probably means for there small staff, everything else is on the back burner.

Darn! You should post it if you hear of anything. That would be an easy/good upgrade for them to output ANT power though.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Printer86 wrote:
This may not be the correct thing, but here's what I did.

It turned out that I had paired both my Quarq power meter(w/ cadence) and my Garmin speed/cadence sensor to the Trainer Road software. When I unpaired the speed/cadence sensor, and kept the Quarq, I got my cadence reading back. My edge 500 still reads my speed.

I bet that's because your cadence magnet is off for your speed/cadence device.

We do a check for 5 seconds of drop out from the speed/cadence sensor. When that happens, we fall back to your power meter (if you have one).

In your case, it was still picking up speed. So it never hit 5 seconds drop out of speed and cadence.

But...the astute reader can tell that this is flawed logic. I need a separate timestamp for both speed AND cadence on speed/cadence monitors. That way I can fall back to other cadence sources or other speed sources even if the other side of the speed/cadence magnet isn't picking it up.

I just added this to the list. I'll make sure it's in the next update.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tovi wrote:
I do it everyday. I have a MacBook Pro, 13" laptop and do Local Hero, HHNF and Angels. I have the laptop hooked up to a 42" TV with an HDMI cable and it works great. You might encounter some hiccups on the video but nothing too jarring that will interrupt your workout, but that depends on your Mac's processor and video capabilities. My MacBook is a few years old so I'm guessing a newer one would not suffer from these issues.

This video shows how to downgrade your sufferfest video so that your computer plays it a little easier. They are really high quality when first downloaded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bky8n6cTVMA

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nochain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nochain wrote:
maybe i am the only one having this issue.

but after the update a few days ago, the cadence stopped working. it works on the devices screen and on my garmin, just not on the display during a workout. any ideas?

If this issue hasn't been fixed can you e-mail me at support@trainerroad.com and we'll get you sorted out.

Let me know what types of sensors you have paired.

If it shows up on your garmin, it's not a magnet issue. It could be an interference issue depending on how far away your stick is. If you have a wireless mouse, keyboard or a wifi router right next to the stick that could interfere with the signal.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chaloo wrote:
Has anyone done trainer road with sufferfest on a Mac and played it through a larger TV? Best way to do this? Video quality?

What I am going to do is run TR on my 2011 mbpro, use this cable at Amazon to connect the thunderbolt port to an HDMI port on my 55in LCD.

What i would love is a way to to drop shows from my Direct TV DVR into TR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing IMTX in May again. Last year during a training ride I was hit by a side window of a truck on the course during a training ride and almost wiped out so I decided I would stick to my trainer most of the time (I have a 1 and 5 year old). I am rding 4 days a week right now and I was wondering how you would choose your rides? I rode to a 5:12 on the course last year riding it every weekend at what I thought was a good pace. I am pdm163 on your sight if it matters.
Quote Reply

Prev Next