Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's definitely an older computer but nothing too crazy - running a dual core 1.83 GHz (I think) with Windows XP and 2GB of RAM. I'm not too tech savvy so I can't do much else other than list specs and guess at the problem. I don't have any other software running in the foreground and I don't have an antivirus installed so I don't think it's fighting with other software for resources. If the file is stored in RAM before dumping to disk, my lowly 2GB could be the reason. I'm pretty sure I've got a free RAM slot that I can fill, provided I can source a stick that's old enough to be compatible.

If you think it's a quick and cheap fix of buying another RAM stick I'll go ahead and do that. If it turns into a more expensive problem, I think I can live with a little gray in my numbers, provided it's not too much. I'll bust out a stopwatch to see if the elapsed time is the same next time.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate, I just wanted to say thank you for the much improved workout search! Great job!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, thank you! I'm really loving the improvements to the site. The new plans look awesome too.

Travis R wrote:
Nate, I just wanted to say thank you for the much improved workout search! Great job!

Chantal
Quote | Reply
Nate, I've got about a wattage discrepancy between my Quarq and my Computrainer. Does Trainer Road use the watts from my Quarq to control the resistance on the Computrainer? Or does it use the watts that my CT is reading? I don't think I'm asking this very well, but since there is a discrepancy in watts read on my CT and my Quarq, I would prefer to set the Trainer Road workout so that the resistance on the CT is what it reads on my Quarq not my CT.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto, great job Nate.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
Nate, I've got about a wattage discrepancy between my Quarq and my Computrainer. Does Trainer Road use the watts from my Quarq to control the resistance on the Computrainer? Or does it use the watts that my CT is reading? I don't think I'm asking this very well, but since there is a discrepancy in watts read on my CT and my Quarq, I would prefer to set the Trainer Road workout so that the resistance on the CT is what it reads on my Quarq not my CT.

Thanks.

Okay, I think I get what you're asking. I think you want to ignore all power on the computrainer but still use it to change the resistance.

As far as I know that's not possible, here's why.

The computrainer works by telling it to dial in a load at ERG mode. So we say "Our workout calls for 300 watts right now, Computrainer, set your watts to 300!".

The Computrainer then does it best to keep the resistance at that level based on what it reads the internal power is. There's no way for us to send in an external power meter's power.

With TrainerRoad, when you have both a computrainer and power meter paired, we use the computrainer to restrict the watts but display and record power with the paired power meter. We do this because we think if you go through the trouble of pairing a power meter, you want to see that power. If you don't pair a power meter, we show all the power from the Computrainer.

For the difference between your computrainer and quarq, if it's pretty close, that's to be expected. That's because the quarq is measured at the crank and the computrainer measures at the wheel.

That's kind of a complicated explanation. Let me know if I need to clear anything up.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Paul_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys!

I'm working on the workout creator right now... :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can the next project be online races? Really looking forward to this!!

http://trainerroad.uservoice.com/...e-races-based-on-ftp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate
Any closer to getting an Android version released?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [netzer0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
netzer0 wrote:

That's next after the workout creator. Reid and I have a little proof of concept going where we share data/webcams/voice. It's rad.

We wanted to get the workout creator done by interbike though. It's a big deal for coaches and coached athletes.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [getger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getger wrote:
Hi Nate
Any closer to getting an Android version released?

No :(. We're going to do an iOS app first. I keep going back and forth thinking if we should use a framework that allows us to deploy to both android and iOS (AIR, Appcelerator, ect) or go native. Right now I'm thinking the best experience is delivered by native code.

Because of market share and BTLE support we're going to start with iOS. After that we'll work on an Android app if we get good uptake on the iPhone/iPad side.

The good news is I'm way better at Java than objective-c :).

iOS app is on our list but after live racing/training right now.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
netzer0 wrote:

That's next after the workout creator. Reid and I have a little proof of concept going where we share data/webcams/voice. It's rad.

We wanted to get the workout creator done by interbike though. It's a big deal for coaches and coached athletes.

LOVE IT!!

Hit me up if you need beta testers once you're further along... I was part of the original beta (same username as ST)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [netzer0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We will. Follow us on facebook, that's where we post most stuff. http://www.facebook.com/trainerrd

There's lots of stuff that can/will go wrong with the live workouts so we'll be having a good beta period. Thanks for offering to help.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate,

Do you know if there is a difference in the Kurt Kinetic trainers that are the older model (grey) versus the newer (green) models as far as power reliability goes?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Endo Ag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is a difference. The really old ones were manufactured a little differently.

I believe they will send you a new resistance unit if you have one of those old ones, so that should fix your problem. I can't promise that though, I might be wrong.

E-mail me at nate@trainerroad.com. I'll forward the e-mail on to one of Kurts top engineers. He should be able to answer the question. He's out this week for training but he should answer it when he gets back.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Endo Ag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know if this is any help but I have both the old one and the new one. Ive used both with TR and compaired the numbers to my Quarq (quarq not being synched to TR), and both trainers were about spot-on when doing the same workout. -- I know, very scientific.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate-

Im sure this has been answered before at some point in this thread but the search didnt readily pull it up. Is there support for two riders at the same time?

i.e. 2 computrainers with 2 power taps, heart rate monitors.

Cuz that would be radzz
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Zoom_zoom_Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please can someone confirm if you need a cadence sensor? Or will just speed sufice. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Zoom_zoom_Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zoom_zoom_Ben wrote:
Nate-

Im sure this has been answered before at some point in this thread but the search didnt readily pull it up. Is there support for two riders at the same time?

i.e. 2 computrainers with 2 power taps, heart rate monitors.

Cuz that would be radzz

There's no direct support for 2+ riders right now. You can do it if you run a VM or use two computers. Some people are doing that but that's a pretty hokey solution.

We have a feature list that we're working through and it's in the middle right now. We want to have support for multi rider centers, so 8+ riders at the same time. Just a mater of priorities right now and getting stuff done and out the door (well).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RichA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichA wrote:
Please can someone confirm if you need a cadence sensor? Or will just speed sufice. Thanks.

You don't need a cadence sensor, you only need a speed sensor for virtual power.

Obviously, you won't have cadence show up when you workout then.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nate.

Also does the Tacx Flow work ok? How does the sensor know if you change the brake/resistance? Or do you leave that and change gear? Is there a guise to set up of the Tacx Flow?

Many thanks,
RichA
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [RichA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichA wrote:
Thanks Nate.

Also does the Tacx Flow work ok? How does the sensor know if you change the brake/resistance? Or do you leave that and change gear? Is there a guise to set up of the Tacx Flow?

Many thanks,
RichA

The Tacx flow works under VirtualPower. So with a speed sensor you can set the slope of your tacx to 0%, 1% or 2% then use the corresponding power source in the app.

The only reason that works well is I believe Tacx uses the same calculations to do their power, ie speed at a given slope. I don't think they have an actually strain gauge inside. Don't quote me on that one though because I am NOT sure. If anyone has more info please let me know.

Either way, it tracks really well.

So you would have to shift and change your cadence to match the power target on screen.

We've asked Tacx (twice now in person) to let us in on their ANT protocol. They tell us "Oh, we already do what TrainerRoad does, so why should we let you? Maybe in the future...".

I wish we could control Tacx trainers though.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great. Many thanks (for both the reply and for TR). Love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Nate,

I went to setup TR for the first ime with my Quarq and t paired in the device screen but whe I went to start the workout it was recording any watts while I was riding. The caveat here is I noticed the magnet on my rear wheel going to the garmin speed/adence sensor was missing. Did the Quarq just not trully pair up or do I need that little magnet? I'm tech stupid so I apologize if this is a dumb question. I can;t thank you enough for the work you've done on this. You've made the trainer tolerable!

~ Russ
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [teebles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am currently using trainerroad and I can't wait to get home for another workout.

That said, quick question, how does trainer road know when I switch to a bigger gear? (harder to pedal, lower cadence) as my power goes way up almost instantly? I would think switching gears should do nothing? I know this is a dumb question...I mean I only have a the GSC10 Garmin speed/cadence sensor and no powertap etc.
Quote Reply

Prev Next