Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tour de France to Drop Podium Girls [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If a bot doesn't identify as a bot, is it still a bot?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France to Drop Podium Girls [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
Great stuff.

Talking about great stuff, the Giro org just said, basically, screw PCness - we're keeping our girls.

Giro slowly becomes my fav company, standing their ground. I'm getting Vanquish helmet for sure.

Podium girls, link with gun industry nonsense. All this is to create precedence and destroy status quo for absolutely no reason, or if there is any reason it is political propaganda that stinks with proletariat from mile away...
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France to Drop Podium Girls [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was this parody? Because if so; spot on.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France to Drop Podium Girls [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
OddSlug wrote:
Similarly here are people not talking about banning models at car shows.

Should manufacturers still be using models to sell cars?

Can't view that video right now but my opinion on models in that arena would be almost identical to the topic at hand. i.e. If they are presented as a visual adornment, I think it's harmful.

So nice restaurants have to quit using the most attractive women for hostesses? No young, attractive women driving the beverage carts on golf courses? No attractive women as local news reporters? No cheerleaders at any men's (or boys) sports? Certainly, no bikini barristas or Hooters girls? I do not condone treating women as objects, but I don't see anything wrong with the fact that a millenia of evolution is expressing itself via employment based on women's attractiveness to men. All the PC hectoring in the world isn't going to change that. Here's some advice - from a women - to millenials seeking any job:

"If you're a twentysomething woman who is looking for a job, it really helps if you're attractive. If you're not, or you pretend it doesn't matter what you look like, or you attempt to hide the fact that you're pretty in some weird way out of feminist-induced anxiety over your sexuality, it's going to make things that much harder for you. This is just a fact."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susannahbreslin/2011/11/15/how-to-get-a-job-if-youre-a-twentysomething-woman/2/#31ce8a44ad6b
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France to Drop Podium Girls [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
most attractive women for hostesses? No young, attractive women driving the beverage carts on golf courses?

But they're doing jobs getting work done.

If they all get up and walk, then people would take notice. Work would not get done.

Podium girls get up and walk....nothing really changes except some older men shed maybe a silent tear and rant about "PC" for a minute. Then life moves on.

Hey we'll see the open market in play. There's still podium girls at the Giro (bless the Italians). If the podium girls are that great an economic value, we'll see the Giro increase in value vs. the TdF. Let the markets decide. Nothing "PC" about that, right?
Last edited by: trail: Mar 9, 18 7:39
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France to Drop Podium Girls [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm all for free markets, however, podium girls are no more central to the cycling business than an attractive hostess is to a restaurant. Either will succeed on the merits of the primary product. I.e., the outstanding chef - and perhaps female - chef - matters more than the hostess. Regardless, attractive women are a selling point in many industries and that stems from something far more fundamental than simply culture.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France to Drop Podium Girls [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Misguided? My opinion is solidly backed by published literature from the last 50 years. We can have a pubmed competition if you like.
Granted, I'm a total libtard, but I'm not even trying to take some obsequious moral high ground here: objectification is both individually and socially damaging. This is hardly debatable. The most important point is that it's irrelevant whether the individual participant is a beneficiary or not. Similar analogies are policies against allowing people to work for $1.20 per hour. It would help SOME workers and a lot of business owners, but it would be catastrophic for the bulk of society. It's also why we don't pay ransom demands. It would help the individuals in the immediate predicament, but it would set a terrible precedent and place far more people at risk.
Also, you don't think that maybe the race coordinator has a slight bias towards including attractive women in his ceremonies? It's customary, sexy and makes a good show. Of course he's going to push back on that. I probably would too.
Again, respectfully.

Shambolic wrote:
It adds just as much as your opinion that podium girls are ornaments and outdated. We all have different opinions but your side of the argument tries to claim some misguided sociological perspective.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France to Drop Podium Girls [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
It's also why we don't pay ransom demands.

on TV Jack Bauer does not pay ransom...., and on CNN news we do not talk with terrorists, absolutely we do not (sarcasm)... but in real world ransom is paid all the time and we do talk with terrorists all the time, we even make business with them...(not sarcasm)
You are watching too much TV :)

Someone takes your kid and says; we need 1000$ (assuming you have 1000$) by midnight or your kid is dead.

I want to see you saying: ok F@#$ it kill him, I do not want my neighbors and fellow citizens kids be in the same situation as me, I will end this kidnapping business...
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France to Drop Podium Girls [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*We* as a collective national and international policy. We don't pay ransom demands. But would I pay ransom? Of course I would. Everyone would. But that is exactly my point: the immediate individuals are benefiting from paying; society as a whole is placed at greater risk. It's consistent with the relation between women being compensated for objectification and the effect that has on women as a whole.

sebo2000 wrote:
domingjm wrote:
It's also why we don't pay ransom demands.

on TV Jack Bauer does not pay ransom...., and on CNN news we do not talk with terrorists, absolutely we do not (sarcasm)... but in real world ransom is paid all the time and we do talk with terrorists all the time, we even make business with them...(not sarcasm)
You are watching too much TV :)

Someone takes your kid and says; we need 1000$ (assuming you have 1000$) by midnight or your kid is dead.

I want to see you saying: ok F@#$ it kill him, I do not want my neighbors and fellow citizens kids be in the same situation as me, I will end this kidnapping business...

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France to Drop Podium Girls [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
podium girls are no more central to the cycling business than an attractive hostess is to a restaurant.

I call BS. A podium girl could walk away with no replacement and there'd be essentially zero disruption to an event. Hostess walks with no replacement, a whole bunch of things immediately start falling apart. A podium girl is eye candy. A hot hostess is eye candy who works her ass off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
podium girls are no more central to the cycling business than an attractive hostess is to a restaurant.

I call BS. A podium girl could walk away with no replacement and there'd be essentially zero disruption to an event. Hostess walks with no replacement, a whole bunch of things immediately start falling apart. A podium girl is eye candy. A hot hostess is eye candy who works her ass off.

I'm genuinely interested to see how they do a cycling podium ceremony without someone helping the winner on with a jersey and just generally directing the flow of the whole thing. I guess we'll see. I always think the whole thing looked dated and not sorry it's going for TdF but they women didn't just stand there and look pretty. If I was in charge I'd of had one person in charge of all the jersey presentations (not 2 different women for each jersey) and had a handshake rather than a kiss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Did you notice that I said "attractive hostess"? I wasn't saying the restaurant didn't need a hostess; only that she needn't be attractive. Still, the main point stands. Most people frequent restaurants (or quit) over the quality of the food, the price, and the general atmosphere, not because they didn't find the hostess appealing. Anyway, it's FRIDAY...let's hammer some training this weekend!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France to Drop Podium Girls [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Misguided? My opinion is solidly backed by published literature from the last 50 years. We can have a pubmed competition if you like.
Granted, I'm a total libtard, but I'm not even trying to take some obsequious moral high ground here: objectification is both individually and socially damaging. This is hardly debatable. The most important point is that it's irrelevant whether the individual participant is a beneficiary or not. Similar analogies are policies against allowing people to work for $1.20 per hour. It would help SOME workers and a lot of business owners, but it would be catastrophic for the bulk of society. It's also why we don't pay ransom demands. It would help the individuals in the immediate predicament, but it would set a terrible precedent and place far more people at risk.
Also, you don't think that maybe the race coordinator has a slight bias towards including attractive women in his ceremonies? It's customary, sexy and makes a good show. Of course he's going to push back on that. I probably would too.
Again, respectfully.

Shambolic wrote:
It adds just as much as your opinion that podium girls are ornaments and outdated. We all have different opinions but your side of the argument tries to claim some misguided sociological perspective.

Mein Kampf was solidly backed published literature for a time and I would call misguided so your point being? It is all just opinion. You see men seeing these women as sex objects maybe just because you do and I see an attractive woman that glamorises an awards function just as I would hope they have attractive men glamorising the womens race based purely on tradition that it be the opposite gender present the prize. Do traditions no longer hold a place in society because people like you chooses to find some kind of reason to find offence in it.

I'll add it now with this whole argument. I think it was the golden globes all the actresses dressed more conservatively in black dresses and ran the whole we are not sexual objects, we deserve respect blah blah as every woman in life should but then at the Oscars dressed as one can only describe as sexual objects because that is what sells and makes headlines that even had 40+ year old girls I went to school with commenting on it on social media telling them to smarten up. Do people not see the hypocrisy in who is leading your cause and they are the ones manipulating as they choose when suits.

There are a select few people in society will choose to see things in the wrong light and act on them. We can no longer have cigarette adds because people will smoke, alcohol because people will drink, gambling because people will gamble. Can we not have a sports car sponsoring a sporting event because people will see that as a race car and want to drive it fast crashing and killing people? Exact same argument. Why aren't all video games involving killing people or racing cars outlawed because some people will see them in a certain light and act out on them.

When will people see that we can't sensor everything in society from the minority that may view them in the wrong light as our free thinking and freedoms in life slowly get eroded.

Anyone is free to comment but that's about the end of my argument based purely on my opinion of society...
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France to Drop Podium Girls [Sunday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunday wrote:
If a bot doesn't identify as a bot, is it still a bot?

Did you see this one? I lost it laughing...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Who_is_IntenseOne%3F_P6580059/?forum_view=forum_view_collapsed&;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply

Prev Next