Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the problem? Apparently you didn't see the part where the 1k is listed under BENIFITS

Rather than look back and say "why?", look forward and say "why not?!"
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VIP passes to what?
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree. the business model is spot on.

put your biases aside for a second and think about it.

they have a product where no matter what they raise the price to, the consumer cannot buy enough.

their raceday workforce is largely volunteer. brilliant. they donate to the community so the community loves having them.

people wear/tatoo/display their logo all over the place for free.

now they are offering a package where you can pay EVEN MORE to jump to the front of the line. I bet it sells out in no time.

Say all you want about how they are alienating us, their core consumer. But in reality, the races will sell out at any price, no matter if we are the ones paying entry fees or not.

I think it's laughable from my chair, but as a business, they are killing it.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Smart business if you ask me. I bet they "sell them out".

Agreed, I think it's a great idea. I wouldn't do it, but if someone else wants to, why not sell it to them? What are we, France? ;)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [SpeedAgent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
developing a following and then within a span of 18-24 month slowly raising the prices on cars to the point where your original fan base can't afford or can't stomach paying the prices.

You realize you don't have to pay the $1000, right? IM races have only had a modest increase in cost in the last 18-24 months. About a 10% increase in registration cost which represents probably less than 1% of the total cost of doing a race. I don't think anyone has been priced out of the races compared to 2 years ago.

In the end a small handful of people will sign up for this and then we will forget about it. I'm not ready to run around in circles panicing just yet.

Thom
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [tribreck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are now a limited number of VIPs that have some pretty remarkable access "inside the ropes" and I've even seen some VIPs brought in to help in some of the volunteer areas (IMWI wetsuit stripping as an example)...not that they did anything...just milled around and waited for their person and GOT IN THE WAY!!.....this "perk" has the potential to make transition areas and finish lines WAY more chaotic......

Big frown from me as I was going to keep dreaming the Passport Club dream of getting to the big dance.......now I am being told to wait behind another line before I get a chance.....not pleased.....

So a decision that was pending is now made.....I'm headed to Vineman in 2012!

Paul

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is brilliant! This lets them test to waters to see how far under-priced the existing entries are. If the races are selling out, then they are either exactly properly priced, or they are under-priced.

If people want to pay $1000 more, then they can. At the same time, IM is being careful not to accidentally price itself out of the market. IM is able to test a price increase without actually raising the entry fees.

Like 'em or not, these guys are really smart, and I applaud them.

They should also allow partial refunds, then they should re-sell the refunded slots for a premium of 100 or 200%. I've never understood why they don't do that.

If I were IM, I would look at the percentage of the "Annual IM Price-Tag" which I am collecting. Right now, I bet that is around 10%, maybe 20%. Travel, lodging, training food, bikes, equipment, clothes, etc. IM is just trying to push the envelope to see if it can capture a larger percentage.

As I said in another thread, don't give them your money if you don't see value in the products and services IM is offering.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Agreed, I think it's a great idea. I wouldn't do it, but if someone else wants to, why not sell it to them? What are we, France? ;)

I guess I just don't see them selling out. The reason is simple....value.
I don't see the value in being a member. Now...if they start removing other options, then there may be some value, but not now.

If I want to race an IM there are multiple ways to get in.
normal entry. or volunteer and enter that way.
online entry is available for almost all IM's now.
several training plan and travel companies have IM type packages.
Charitable foundation slots.
And I am sure there are more.

So why would I pay 1000 for something I can very easily get for free or cheaper?

Maybe I'm crazy, but right now the main "benefit" of this program is worthless. (to me)

Quote | Reply
Titanium? Pfft. WhatEVER.

I have a carbon fiber card, with fibers hand laid by virgins, baptised by the blood of a TdF winner, and hand delivered by Mirinda Carfrae riding a prototype tri-bike made of pure frozen oxygen.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
At least the VIP membership doesn't come with a 'get out of jail free' card for your first minor penalty on course. (Or, shit, did I just give them an idea?)

How about a guilt-free DNF if you flash your VIP card?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Community fund spots are more expensive than that. What I find amusing is that they include the Lava subscription...that you would get when you register for a race anyways!

They are more expensive but remember you can deduct 750 bucks from your taxes at the end of the year. With this you can't.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did i read the thing right?

technically it's still first come first serve? so you could potentially (if 3000 people did this before you) NOT get a spot even after paying the $1000?

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [BeachboyWI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points, but clearly they're aware of the "value" analysis, and is there anything keeping them from tightening the noose on other points of entry like community funds, 3rd party travel/training companies, or even volunteer slots?

ETA: as you alluded to in your post.

Evil geniuses.
Last edited by: fenway: Oct 27, 10 10:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it results in fewer open spots...Then Less travel, more money to do the local TRIs..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think this is brilliant! This lets them test to waters to see how far under-priced the existing entries are. If the races are selling out, then they are either exactly properly priced, or they are under-priced.

If people want to pay $1000 more, then they can. At the same time, IM is being careful not to accidentally price itself out of the market. IM is able to test a price increase without actually raising the entry fees.

Like 'em or not, these guys are really smart, and I applaud them.

BINGO!!! Well said.

I'll add this: if Providence Equity Partners were hiring I'd be first in line.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stood in line to register for LP sandwiched between two guys, neither of which were racing. One raced in 2009, signed up for 2010 with no intention of racing so he could get into 2011 early. The other guy was injured and not sure about 2011 but securing a spot was worth the $600. There are two dudes that would fork over the grand. I'd probably consider it if it meant not traveling to the race site a year out which could cost that much.

I'd also rather have one in ten gebroni's fork over the money than have entry fees go up a hundred bucks. But you know they are going to go up regardless.

This all leads me to the point that this is a little short sighted on WTC's part. I guess it is the result of having making decisions based on surveys and demographics from the board room. I was talking to a few locals from Lake Placid when I was there and they were all getting pretty fed up with the race for a host of reasons. For one, the athletes all bring their own food and have special diets, so, the only people to benefit are the rental property owners and most them live out of town. They also do not like the idea of working an aid station all day for free. The access program further limits the volunteer pool. Those would all be people that would travel to town, probably eat out since they aren't racing and volunteer so they can register early. I hope some of that $1000 goes to paying some locals that help put on these races.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was thinking the same thing
atleast i get to claim it on taxes

D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to flash that card around town!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with you, but I don't think it's going to be successful for them. I've got a few extra bucks, but sorry IM, I'm not buying this. Come to think of it, I don't think I'll be volunteering at their races anymore either. There are plenty of other great non-IM races.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [fenway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Good points, but clearly they're aware of the "value" analysis, and is there anything keeping them from tightening the noose on other points of entry like community funds, 3rd party travel/training companies, or even volunteer slots?

Evil geniuses.

That's why I said the words "right now".
Tomorrow the community fund slot could be $3,000 and general entry could be $2,000 unless you have your membership...in which case it is $600. That would certainly make the membership more valuable. And I would not do another IM ever again. :-)

Quote | Reply
Well I for one feel completely vindicated. WTC = We Take the Cash and again, this is all about starting to milk it for what it is worth before the big sell off.

If people are not concerned... you should be... This is the start of a "Pump and Dump" and in a couple of years, the WEH will sell the over-bloated carcass of the WTC which by that time will have been over expanded and what you will see in the end are fewer and less well run races and a lot of carnage along the way.

I am sickened by the price, but hardly surprised. Another reason why I have not signed up for a WEH/WTC race next year, but am locked into Quassy, thinking about their new SC race, and so far will pass on Timberman and Austin as one-and-done races.

And for folks not in the know... Watch your $$$$. In the next year you will see:

Gas --> Back up to $4/$5 a gallon and oil back to $150 - $200 a barrel
Hidden Taxes --> Most don't understand THEY will be paying the tax on THEIR EMPLOYEER'S contribution to their health costs... In short, if you pay $3K a year for your health and your employer pays $3K, you now will be paying tax on that $3K. In short, you have $3K income to pay tax on without actually making $3K more
Gold --> Expecting to break $2K/oz
Mortgage --> Huge fallout as the 99'ers (people who have been unemployed for 99 weeks and finally exhausted unemployment) really are out of options. As well, if you watch MBS, there are many questions now about improperly registered deeds and who actually owns the "Title" to the home. If you think foreclosures were bad the last 18 months, you have not seen anything yet. Also... If you BOUGHT a foreclosed home, because of the short cuts made by the loan companies, a lot of these homes DO NOT have clear title and will lose their homes.

Granted, Triathletes tend to be more affluent than a lot of other segments of the population, but the economic shit-storm coming will be huge.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So am I reading that right, it doesn't even include the actual race registration itself... You're paying an extra grand just so you can spend another $600 (or whatever) before the next guy spends his?

But you get a DVD also. Other guy does not!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, it's getting to the point where inner city kids can't afford to do ironman anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Ha, that's awesome Bryan!
I like it. Good (short-term) business model and long term? Who knows. I doubt I would do this, but if I really was set on a certain race that sells out very fast every year I would consider it.

Heck, just sounds like good ole' American capitalism to me.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [kkoole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Man, it's getting to the point where inner city kids can't afford to do ironman anymore.

It is always the kids that suffer isn't it?

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply

Prev Next