Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me in. M-dot tattoos are now a dime a dozen at your local sports pub. I bet I will really impress the chicks with the "exclusive" membership card.

In reality, it is a free market, and I stopped giving WTC my money a few years ago supporting non-WTC race organizers. They will charge it as long as there is someone to pay it.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not bad it is like the Disney FAST PASS. Bow down before me you mere commoners<insert pink

If I had to stand in line for IM registration with two small children that are hungry and thirsty and only want to "see the M-Dot man" you'd be darn right I would buy the membership. Fast Pass at Disney= happy kids and happy kids= happy mom and happy mom= a dad that doesn't go nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right...I wasn't adding in the reg. fee. But I also don't think that every race has Foundation slots. And you don't get the DVD. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it comes w vip pass....i want some autogragh s
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect the majority of them would fill by step 4.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh...this really disappoints me. Thankfully I already have an IM under my belt before it costs $5,000 just to register for one. It's just becoming way too prohibitive.

Is anyone actually entertaining the idea of doing this? I was not a WTC-hater but this is really starting to annoy me. That and the fact that the Miami race I'm about to do is a massive clusterf*ck so far so I'm losing faith.

I suppose I'll take my chances at registering online for the next one I want to do. Paying $1500 ($1000 + registration fee) seems ridiculous!

On a larger scale, I think there are enough barriers to entry in this sport for folks who aren't rich. It's expensive to get all the equipment, fitness memberships, coaching, travel, entry fees, clothing, whatever else you spend to get yourself to the starting line. Now they just made it cost THAT MUCH MORE to even be able to PARTICIPATE in their races. Total nonsense, and very exclusionary.

BOO!
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HAHAHA - the fact that you even know that exists made me crack up! Now I know what I can ask for X-mass.

Haven't seen you on the roads in Arlington these days!
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just checked, community slot for IMWI is $1,150 which includs registration and you get a $575 tax deduction, which is worth $175 at a 30% bracket.

Community slots are the way to go as overall it's a ton cheaper...maybe they are planning on raising that entry fee after this announcement.

What's unclear is the "filled up" thing since it's a one year membership? So on Oct. 31st 2011, you can register again for it as first come first serve?
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Say what you want, but it appears to me the guys at Providence Equity are some smart mofo's. Everything they are doing is increasing the value of their brand. No doubt they will unload this thing in a few years time at a huge profit.

In the end, that's what it's all about.

Absolutely! They are pumping this thing up as fast as they can, then they'll unload it and watch from the sidelines as it deflates.

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This just motivated me to look into Rev3 events with more interest. I think I read there is one coming to the southeast in 2010 or 2011?
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Say what you want, but it appears to me the guys at Providence Equity are some smart mofo's. Everything they are doing is increasing the value of their brand. No doubt they will unload this thing in a few years time at a huge profit.

In the end, that's what it's all about.

Absolutely! They are pumping this thing up as fast as they can, then they'll unload it and watch from the white sand beaches, sipping pina coladas as it deflates.

fixed it for ya!
Last edited by: stillrollin: Oct 27, 10 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [sparkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much people would pay just to do Kona? I mean open up lets say 100 slots or something. It would be in the same range as climbin Everest or something like that in cost right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really, the IMC community fund price was $1100. The IMAccess only gives you advanced registration you still have to pay for the race.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (1937-2005)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Total crap. But, let me try to offer up some constructive criticism.
If this $1,000 Membership fee included some version of the following, it might actually make sense:

1. Race transfer is available, with no questions asked. Signed up for IMAZ but broke your leg a week later? You can push your reg out to the following year or transfer to another race that is not sold out.
2. Instead of letting you sign up a week in advance, how about holding out some of these slots to let someone sign up 6 months before the race. I might cough up a little extra money so I don't have to plan things 12 months in advance.
3. Disounted entry into a 70.3 or 5150 race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are all haters 'cause you don't have the Titanium M-Dot card like I have.

It's super secret.

And super exclusive.

Even better than the AMEX black card.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know there are other IM distance that go on through out the US, but is there any other org that can compete with WTC? Being relatively new to Tri's, all I heard at first was IM this and IM that.

I believe if WTC had a little competition that was well known then they would drop their prices on their races (which are supported mainly by volunteers...no overhead cost)

------------------------------------------------------------
Never forget those that sacrificed for your freedom.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Smart business if you ask me. I bet they "sell them out".

Sell out. I bet there is no limit to the number of "members". If there is a limit, its probably as high as the total number of competitors in all ironman events.

------------------------
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: The latest WTC money grab... [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comical to me that anyone has a problem with this. You have no "right" to affordable triathlons.

Those that can afford to race will...those that can't won't. Seems pretty simple to me. Most of this forum is acting like WTC has some responsibility to keep prices low so the common folk can participate.

I'm also going to send a letter to Bently and tell them their cars are too damn expensive and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I don't even know how popular this will be. I assume it will be like any other VIP program and a few people will sign up who can afford it and guarantee their spot in line. I doubt it affects your ability to sign up for a race at all.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team