Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m confused, you don’t think reported 24 mph avg is impressive? So what would be impressive?

I have power/farming files from my junior who does a weekly crit training race in a “circle” course and they have different cat levels and they usually at most get up to 26-27mph for 34-35 min ride. And they are getting after it.

24 mph for people using borrowed equipment and likely not used to is is most certainly impressive mph to ride for non-bikers. If it isn’t I don’t know what your standard really is.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dufflite wrote:
Just watched the women’s race and tbh I thought it was pretty decent considering the inexperience level. The race winner played it perfect, sat on the wheel on the woman who was clearly the strongest rider and then blitzed around her on the finishing straight.

Trivia: Kristin Holte (Who won the ladies crit) used to do triathlons, heptathlon and at one point was the reigning Norwegian champion pole vaulter. Really mixed background.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Correct. I haven’t watched more than some clips of the race but it sounds like they weren’t bike racer drafting but still drafting so 24mph just isn’t that impressive.

Breaking news. Experienced cyclist not impressed by speed of non-cyclist! Details at 9.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Which of the athletes can run a sub 5 min mile? Seems extremely unlikely based on what I've seen. There distances also seem short even by triathlete standards, no way the crit was 12k.

Ben Smith can run a stand alone sub 5 minute mile, Cross Fit champion 2015. I got sucked into watching all the Netflix "Fittest on Earth" series over the last four years. I've never done a single Cross Fit workout, but the level of fitness these athletes have is very admirable. They swim, bike, row, climb ropes, run, run with 20lb vests, traverse obstacle courses. It's impressive. They're events are indeed endurance-based events. The entire Cross Fit championship last 4 days. Our SBR events are ultra-endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Correct. I haven’t watched more than some clips of the race but it sounds like they weren’t bike racer drafting but still drafting so 24mph just isn’t that impressive.

Breaking news. Experienced cyclist not impressed by speed of non-cyclist! Details at 9.

The point for me isn't that, it's that this is about the 3rd topic on this forum of the same thing within recent memory. It's getting a bit old.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
trail wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

The point for me isn't that, it's that this is about the 3rd topic on this forum of the same thing within recent memory. It's getting a bit old.

Not much else going on. Have to freak out about CrossFit.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
watching this live now. I'm rooting for the one in the yellow shoes

https://games.crossfit.com/

The rope and yoke is impressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

These things go in cycles

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

"Experienced" is a stretch. He couldn't do 24 mph in a sprint with aero gear. Bazinga!

Stock / generic bikes, baggy cloths, no experience drafting. I'm moderately impressed with 24 mph.

Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
oscaro wrote:
Which of the athletes can run a sub 5 min mile? Seems extremely unlikely based on what I've seen. There distances also seem short even by triathlete standards, no way the crit was 12k.

Ben Smith can run a stand alone sub 5 minute mile, Cross Fit champion 2015. I got sucked into watching all the Netflix "Fittest on Earth" series over the last four years. I've never done a single Cross Fit workout, but the level of fitness these athletes have is very admirable. They swim, bike, row, climb ropes, run, run with 20lb vests, traverse obstacle courses. It's impressive. They're events are indeed endurance-based events. The entire Cross Fit championship last 4 days. Our SBR events are ultra-endurance.

Yeah, but since we're talking about juicing? I wonder what his steroid cycle is like?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
trail wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

These things go in cycles

There is probably a Olympic weightlifting forum out there where they make fun of Cross fitter's doing those lifts :)
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
We want to see fit people doing stuff on most people can't do, whether it's sprinting 100m in under 10s or bench pressing some crazy weight or whatever. We don't want to see Usain Bolt play tennis.

But would you watch Usain Bolt play soccer/football? https://www.nytimes.com/...-bolt-australia.html
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
zedzded wrote:
We want to see fit people doing stuff on most people can't do, whether it's sprinting 100m in under 10s or bench pressing some crazy weight or whatever. We don't want to see Usain Bolt play tennis.

But would you watch Usain Bolt play soccer/football? https://www.nytimes.com/...-bolt-australia.html

I guess Man United didn't want him so he's lowered his standards a tad bit :)

Well more than a tad bit, you'd think MLS would be a better fit, assuming he's at least half way decent.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Last year at a highly competitive 5k here, a cross fit guy won overall in low 15 min, beating experienced runners (d1 track). He made the skin and bones top runners feel pretty demoralized...

How does someone that can run 15min 5km do cross-fit to any decent level i.e lifting heavy shit. You mean he's an experienced runner that "has a go" at crossfit.

Nope. He started running after military service. Puts up good lifts
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Pretty amazing to see a forum full of people who aren't good enough at swimming, biking or running to be competitive in those sports so they go with triathlon to be mediocre at all three, ripping on another sport where athletes try to be good at more than one thing.

Watch "The Redeemed and the Dominant" on Netflix for a good recap of the 2017 games. They athletes are very impressive and work their asses off all year long.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [Elitist Jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yawn... yup totally can’t, never done 24 mph before. Not even doing a race with tailwind that was all downhill. You’re a brilliant investigator...

24 mph drafting isn’t that fast in my opinion for 18 mins. It may be great for the conditions and using other bikes but it’s not impressive to me I’m very sorry that you were offended by that. If you’re impressed by that, that’s wonderful, but it’s just not that amazing for me

Like I said the performance for the 5k was remarkable. These guys aren’t just sitting there lifting all day so having some capacity for endurance isn’t surprising. But when you rip off a sub 16 5k while doing all the other stuff is obscene.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any link? All I found from google was he claims a 2:16 800 pr (not equal to a sub 5) and says one of his goals is a sub 8:30 1,5 mile which would be very easy for someone running sub 5.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Any link? All I found from google was he claims a 2:16 800 pr (not equal to a sub 5) and says one of his goals is a sub 8:30 1,5 mile which would be very easy for someone running sub 5.

It's in his bio (link: https://games.crossfit.com/...veteran-21-ben-smith) and in one of the "Fittest Athletes" series on Netflix he had a list of goals on his board, and "Run a Sub 5-minute Mile" was one of the goals that had a line through it indicating he accomplished it. Considering the guy won the championship and his other athletic accomplishments and his training regiment, I don't see a reason to doubt him. His stats are 5'11", 195 lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:

Pretty amazing to see a forum full of people who aren't good enough at swimming, biking or running to be competitive in those sports so they go with triathlon to be mediocre at all three, ripping on another sport where athletes try to be good at more than one thing.

Watch "The Redeemed and the Dominant" on Netflix for a good recap of the 2017 games. They athletes are very impressive and work their asses off all year long.

Watched "The Redeemed and Dominan" last night. Despite being 2-hours long it kept me engaged the whole time.

It amazes me so many seem to question big athletes and their ability to Swim/Bike/Run .... AND lift weights. Plenty of "big" guys in triathlon as well that are/were competitive at 170 and 180+ lbs: Sindballe, Macca, Matt Reed, Starykowicz. Current CrossFit champion Matt Fraser is 190lbs, which is only 10 to 15 lbs heavier than these big triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was actually shocked that Sagan is 160+. I knew they obviously had to be stronger for the sprints but that’s a ton more weight for the mountains compared to the 130lb guys.

An extra 10-20 lbs will cost you on the run but biking probably not that much. Minus the brick house effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was actually shocked that Sagan is 160+. I knew they obviously had to be stronger for the sprints but that’s a ton more weight for the mountains compared to the 130lb guys.

Yup, a pretty big factor in why Kittel (180lb) and Greipel (180) and most of the sprinters missed the time cut once they hit the mountains.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much of that has trended that way the last 10 years because of how strong some of the cylists in tri/ sprint cycling are.

When I started 10 plus years ago. 170 would be huge for a triathlete unless you were 6’6” like Reed or some of the other guys. Now being 160 isn’t a huge deal because everyone else is the same weight to stay relevant on the bike. Obviously there are outliers. But that seems like a trend at least.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:

Yup, a pretty big factor in why Kittel (180lb) and Greipel (180) and most of the sprinters missed the time cut once they hit the mountains.

They should've trained like Thor! At around 180lbs Thor Hushovd won Stage 13 of the 2011 Tour, in the World Champion jersey, and that stage included the col d'aubisque climb in the Pyrenees!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:

Watched "The Redeemed and Dominan" last night. Despite being 2-hours long it kept me engaged the whole time.

It amazes me so many seem to question big athletes and their ability to Swim/Bike/Run .... AND lift weights. Plenty of "big" guys in triathlon as well that are/were competitive at 170 and 180+ lbs: Sindballe, Macca, Matt Reed, Starykowicz. Current CrossFit champion Matt Fraser is 190lbs, which is only 10 to 15 lbs heavier than these big triathletes.

Fraser is 5"7" and 190. Big difference to the "only" 10-15lb lighter triathletes you mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Commendable that they are trying an event outside of their wheelhouse. Still kinda funny to watch, almost nobody using the drops (or trying to get very aero), lots of loose flappy shirts, and a couple of dropped chains. Those that dropped a chain were totally lost in what to do.

-----
Quote Reply

Prev Next