Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
[

To be fair, he did mention Australia. Youā€™re talking about America. Different countries have different interests when it comes to sports and/or activities.

I wasn't! This year's games are physically in the U.S., but looking at the current leaderboard, I see only two U.S. men in the top 10. And one U.S. woman. Two Australians. It's not unlike, say, Kona. Eyeballing it, I'd say the participation is no more than 20% U.S. despite being held here.

Like most new alternative sports, we create it in the U.S., and the rest of the world surpasses us by like Thursday.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 1, 18 19:11
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The media contract with CBS is not what you think it is. Look at all of the sports they carry on CBS Sports...they're not paying out the gazoo for those rights. In fact, the President of CBS Sports division stated that they would not get into bidding wars for content.

I'm sure you're right, but whatever it is it's better than most triathlon coverage I've seen (though in the U.S. we don't get great triathlon coverage vs. ITU coverage in Europe).
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was referring to it being an american television company. It would be interesting to know viewership percentage by country. Iā€™d bet Facebook has it

The percentage breakdown could very well be due to qualification uses. Iā€™m betting their are regionals and they have it set up so of the 80 athletes they get a decent representation of different countries. If theyā€™re smart th y bring in more good foreign athletes in hopes of getting more people outside the us to join. Purely speculation, but Iā€™m guessing their isnā€™t much more growth happening within the US

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took me a bit to realize that the first event was a women's race.

Sleeveless jerseys?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
They look like gumbies.

Are you trolling? Are you talking about just how they look or are you referring to their performance? You never answered my question from the other thread. Gumby performance on the bike?

zedzded wrote:
I think what they need to do, is increase the amount of aerobic stages in these comps, less emphasis on weights

Did you do any reading on the games at all? That is exactly what they have done over the past few years. Even with weights, almost every event they have at the games taps aerobic capacity. Now they've added events that tap endurance thresholds. Marathon row today following the 12k bike crit and lifting. I know...lumbering gumbies right?

Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
zedzded wrote:
That would appeal to a wider audience. How many people are genuinely into weights? It was popular in the 80s, 90s in Australia, but not so much anymore.

I don't think triathletes should be lecturing about audiences and popularity to any sport with a CBS media contract and a $2.2M prize purse.

I like the idea of Crossfit. I think it could be huge if they tweaked it.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cross fit is ridiculous. The athletes are not. The events are all weightlifting with a couple endurance events thrown in just so they can say ā€˜Fittest on Earthā€™ The model needs work and more balance in the events. I do think itā€™s stupid watching a bunch of lifters trying endurance sports. Iā€™m not impressed. Some of the events are comical.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Cross fit is ridiculous. The athletes are not. The events are all weightlifting with a couple endurance events thrown in just so they can say ā€˜Fittest on Earthā€™ The model needs work and more balance in the events. I do think itā€™s stupid watching a bunch of lifters trying endurance sports. Iā€™m not impressed. Some of the events are comical.

Yup. I noticed when they did the run/swim/run last year, there was literally 2-3s of swim footage and that was it. Some careful editing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
watching this live now. I'm rooting for the one in the yellow shoes

https://games.crossfit.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
The events are all weightlifting with a couple endurance events thrown in

You may want to read the events of this year's games before you make uninformed comments like this. First two days of the game this year: 6 events, only 1 of them involves weightlifting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I disagree. Why would people think that triathletes are out of their element? We swim, bike and run, and we know it. We donā€™t incorporate power cleans in the middle of a triathlon. Iā€™m sorry, but
Cross fit is a joke and so are the participants. They think theyā€™re good at everything. Theyā€™re weightlifters trying
to do sports they suck at. It is funny.

As other posters have stated well, bashing another sport that creatively combines different athletic challenges accomplishes nothing positive. Many of the top CrossFit athletes can run a sub 5-minute mile. That's not sucking in my book. The opening event at last years CrossFit game was a 1.5 mile Run/ 500m Swim/ 1.5 mile Run. I'm willing to bet if many of these "weightlifters" showed up at a Sprint-distance Triathlon event, they'd do very well and nobody would be laughing and calling them a joke. I'd be curious to see how many Watts these athletes push on the Assault Bikes during an event.

Watch a few of the Fittest Athletes documentaries on NetFlix and you'll see that these athletes do a lot more than "weightlifting". Fact is, many CrossFit athletes are absolutely more well-rounded and versatile than us Triathletes who only SBR and only do strength work to support SBR. I don't do any CrossFit, btw.
Last edited by: BT_DreamChaser: Aug 1, 18 20:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

I can't tell if you are trolling or just that ignorant.

Weightlifting is a sport of the clean and jerk and snatch. However, for the sake of this conversation I'll allow anything with a barbell as that is what most people perceive weight lighting to be.

Today's events:

#1 Bike Crit

#2 30 Muscle-Ups

#3 1RM of Squat, Press, and Deadlift

#4 Marathon Row

Tomorrow is a rest day and then Friday is

#5 Obstacle course (no weightlifting)

#6 Fibonacchi, combo of handstand pushups KB deadlifts, and OH Lunge walks (technically not really weightlifting but I'll give this one to you)

So the first 6 events that have been posted so far 2 (at best) are considered weightlifting, so 30%.

Last years events about 6 were or had components of weightlifting. So 50%.

But I will agree with your statement that CF athletes are no ridiculous, as ridiculous as CF can be, these athletes are absolute top level performers in their made up sport of CrossFit. Similar to how triathlon was just picked out the air as well way back when.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just watched the womenā€™s race and tbh I thought it was pretty decent considering the inexperience level. The race winner played it perfect, sat on the wheel on the woman who was clearly the strongest rider and then blitzed around her on the finishing straight. The other still got second after sitting on the front for what, the first 5 laps, and then openning her sprint with a full lap to go. Give her some experience with race strategy and I bet she would quickly kick ass on any local race scene.

Definitely some dumbassness out there, that early solo crash had zero to do with road conditions despite what the announcers said, and a lot of folks clearly not comftable with sitting in a draft, but I donā€™t think taking a bunch of random triathletes and sticking them into a crit for the first time would look any better.

The only really embarrassing thing to me was the announcers. Good god they were clueless. Clearly Trek didnā€™t send anyone up to explain to them how any of this works.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

As other posters have stated well, bashing another sport that creatively combines different athletic challenges accomplishes nothing positive. Many of the top CrossFit athletes can run a sub 5-minute mile. That's not sucking in my book. The opening event at last years CrossFit game was a 1.5 mile Run/ 500m Swim/ 1.5 mile Run. I'm willing to bet if many of these "weightlifters" showed up at a Sprint-distance Triathlon event, they'd do very well and nobody would be laughing and calling them a joke. I'd be curious to see how many Watts these athletes push on the AirDyne Bikes during an event.

Watch a few of the Fittest Athletes documentaries on NetFlix and you'll see that these athletes do a lot more than "weightlifting". Fact is, many CrossFit athletes are absolutely more well-rounded and versatile than us Triathletes who only SBR and only do strength work to support SBR. I don't do any CrossFit, btw.

Fixed, please never call that bike an assault bike. It is an AirDyne.

CU427 wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Weightlifting is a sport of the clean and jerk and snatch. However, for the sake of this conversation I'll allow anything with a barbell as that is what most people perceive weight lighting to be.

Today's events:

#1 Bike Crit

#2 30 Muscle-Ups

#4 Marathon Row

#6 Fibonacchi, combo of handstand pushups KB deadlifts, and OH Lunge walks (technically not really weightlifting but I'll give this one to you)

So the first 6 events that have been posted so far 2 (at best) are considered weightlifting, so 30%.

But I will agree with your statement that CF athletes are no ridiculous, as ridiculous as CF can be, these athletes are absolute top level performers in their made up sport of CrossFit. Similar to how triathlon was just picked out the air as well way back when.

Olympic weightlifting...weightlifting is just lifting weights. God weirdos gotta change everything in the lingo these days.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Aug 1, 18 21:38
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Thatā€™s about 24 mph for 12k... so no not very impressive.

Bet most triathlete's couldn't do it. I'm no CrossFit fan, but 80% of most triathlon fields could lose 20kg.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

As other posters have stated well, bashing another sport that creatively combines different athletic challenges accomplishes nothing positive. Many of the top CrossFit athletes can run a sub 5-minute mile. That's not sucking in my book. The opening event at last years CrossFit game was a 1.5 mile Run/ 500m Swim/ 1.5 mile Run. I'm willing to bet if many of these "weightlifters" showed up at a Sprint-distance Triathlon event, they'd do very well and nobody would be laughing and calling them a joke. I'd be curious to see how many Watts these athletes push on the AirDyne Bikes during an event.

Fixed, please never call that bike an assault bike. It is an AirDyne.

CU427 wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Today's events:

#1 Bike Crit

#2 30 Muscle-Ups

#4 Marathon Row

Olympic weightlifting...weightlifting is just lifting weights. God weirdos gotta change everything in the lingo these days.

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-weightlifting

http://www.iwf.net

Olympic weightlifting is a summer sport every 4 years of the sport of weightlifting. Yes it's the exact same sport, they are just different events. It's similar to triathlon; half, full, etc. Same sport, different events.

But yeah when people term it olympic lifting its obvious they are not too familiar with the sport just like the average person with triathlon.
Last edited by: CU427: Aug 1, 18 22:21
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We want to see fit people doing stuff on most people can't do, whether it's sprinting 100m in under 10s or bench pressing some crazy weight or whatever. We don't want to see Usain Bolt play tennis.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which of the athletes can run a sub 5 min mile? Seems extremely unlikely based on what I've seen. There distances also seem short even by triathlete standards, no way the crit was 12k.

Terrible Tuesdayā€™s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I bet they really didn't average close to 24mph, but anything to keep up the charade that these people are elite weightlifters AND endurance athletes....

Terrible Tuesdayā€™s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:
Olympic weightlifting is a summer sport every 4 years of the sport of weightlifting. Yes it's the exact same sport, they are just different events. It's similar to triathlon; half, full, etc. Same sport, different events.

But yeah when people term it olympic lifting its obvious they are not too familiar with the sport just like the average person with triathlon.
Or rather that calling something weightlifting and not putting Olympic in front of it gets most people a cross eye. Whereas people understand what a triathlon is.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
We want to see fit people doing stuff on most people can't do, whether it's sprinting 100m in under 10s or bench pressing some crazy weight or whatever. We don't want to see Usain Bolt play tennis.

Tickets cost $35-$350 to enter the games.

The are the venues cover is pretty big. If they put a supersprint Tri on those grounds (could easily be done) I wonder what the public would pay to watch it....probably not $35-$350.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
They look like gumbies.

Which kind?

Or

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

Bet most triathlete's couldn't do it. I'm no CrossFit fan, but 80% of most triathlon fields could lose 20kg.

This is their ā€œeliteā€ championship competition so thatā€™s not really a fair comparison. I bet almost anyone under 40 at Kona/ ITU worlds could do well over that for 12 k.

Thatā€™s all of 7.5 miles. Itā€™s not even enough time to get a 20 min ftp power.

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s bad, but these guys are in good shape and itā€™s not that long of a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

This is their ā€œeliteā€ championship competition so thatā€™s not really a fair comparison. I bet almost anyone under 40 at Kona/ ITU worlds could do well over that for 12 k.

Thatā€™s all of 7.5 miles. Itā€™s not even enough time to get a 20 min ftp power.

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s bad, but these guys are in good shape and itā€™s not that long of a ride.

It also was a crit right? They should have been drafting not riding solo.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct. I havenā€™t watched more than some clips of the race but it sounds like they werenā€™t bike racer drafting but still drafting so 24mph just isnā€™t that impressive.

Now I think on the other thread someone said the person who won the 5k was like mid 15s thatā€™s just insane. So itā€™s not like they donā€™t have people there with endurance backgrounds.

A couple of my friends who used to race competitively I think partially own a CrossFit gym now. So people have moved from endurance to CrossFit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next