Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Crit at the CrossFit Games.
Quote | Reply
Did anyone watch it? It's highly entertaining!
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was laughing my ass off at work watching them take corners and sprint. it was priceless, from a cycling perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you know it's bad when even triathletes can laugh at their cornering abilities :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody have a link or can post video?
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [The59Swim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was live on FB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did like the fact that everyone had the same bike brand and components
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Video's still up so don't even have to watch live.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I felt really embarassed watching these people. They looked like oddly proportioned clowns being asked to do a trick their master's never taught them to do. It made me wonder if thats what outsiders see when looking at us - like what are these people trying to accomplish??

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Did anyone watch it? It's highly entertaining!

Was there.

No major crashes, about what to expect for corning skills, some good communication and riding at the front. Lots riding pretty close and able to hold their line and work with each other.

For 40 guys of which I think only 1-2 have only ever done a crit it was good. Had you had 40 triathletes that had never done a crit in that race it might have been ugly.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As ugly as 40 triathletes trying to do fake pull ups? That could have been entertaining too.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
I felt really embarassed watching these people. They looked like oddly proportioned clowns being asked to do a trick their master's never taught them to do. It made me wonder if thats what outsiders see when looking at us - like what are these people trying to accomplish??

First off that was hilarious to watch. Secondly, people absolutely think these same things about us. I hate being in a room with an overly serious cyclist, runner, triathlete, whoever who wants to talk to those with no idea about these sports and brag. We are weirdos to those who are not familiar. Most people just don't give a shit about any of these things.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [The59Swim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
As ugly as 40 triathletes trying to do fake pull ups? That could have been entertaining too.

LOL, especially with them shirtless wearing their HR monitors.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree. Why would people think that triathletes are out of their element? We swim, bike and run, and we know it. We don’t incorporate power cleans in the middle of a triathlon. I’m sorry, but
Cross fit is a joke and so are the participants. They think they’re good at everything. They’re weightlifters trying
to do sports they suck at. It is funny.

turdburgler wrote:
AlyraD wrote:

First off that was hilarious to watch. Secondly, people absolutely think these same things about us. I hate being in a room with an overly serious cyclist, runner, triathlete, whoever who wants to talk to those with no idea about these sports and brag. We are weirdos to those who are not familiar. Most people just don't give a shit about any of these things.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I enjoy making fun of crossfitters, kinda like it's fun to make fun of triathletes, I don't think they're a joke. The cult is a bit silly but we are in a country where only 20pct of folks meet the ridiculously low recommendation guidelines for physical activity and these folks work out hard. May not be pretty, may not be science based (often times) but i wouldn't say they are a joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While not exactly Athens Twilight, it wasn't as much of a circus as I expected. Although someone needs to tell them that the person on the front is NOT "winning" until the very end of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With how hot it was in Los Angeles and even last year in Wisconsin I never understood why so many women wore leggings...like they're legit making it tougher.

What's more of a shitshow is the commentary...couldn't get some cycling people to talk?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Aug 1, 18 10:12
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I did like the fact that everyone had the same bike brand and components

Almost like IROC

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I’m sorry, but Cross fit is a joke and so are the participants. They think they’re good at everything. They’re weightlifters trying to do sports they suck at. It is funny.

why the hate dude? Crossfitters try to be good at all aspects of fitness, not just weightlifting. The games athletes don't try though, they are.

So 18:35 for a 12k crit, working mostly alone, is not a respectable time to you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The races themselves were much better than the commentary, and the guy in black who won the men's race looked like a fairly decent cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I disagree. Why would people think that triathletes are out of their element? We swim, bike and run, and we know it. We don’t incorporate power cleans in the middle of a triathlon. I’m sorry, but
Cross fit is a joke and so are the participants. They think they’re good at everything. They’re weightlifters trying
to do sports they suck at. It is funny.

turdburgler wrote:
AlyraD wrote:

My comment was in response to the comment about people watching us wondering what we are trying to accomplish as well. Most people just don't get it and that is okay.

I'm not a fan of crossfit but making sweeping generalizations saying all crossfit is a joke and so are the participants isn't beneficial to anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on the hypocrisy belittling of the entire CrossFit community when we dress up in one-piece spandex suits and participate in a competition that arbitrarily combines three different sports.

That's not to say there isn't a toxic attitude conveyed by a lot of people who take part in CrossFit; there is a non-negligible segment that believe results for *any* athletic endeavor are best achieved through a CrossFit style training plan. The number of times I get "Cross Fit-splained" to about general principles of training for *endurance athletics* astounds me, considering I hardly talk about triathlon (or fitness at all!) to somebody who isn't also a triathlete or endurance athlete. But I guess every community has its assholes (triathlon certainly has its share), so noticing CrossFit specifically is probably selective perception.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year at a highly competitive 5k here, a cross fit guy won overall in low 15 min, beating experienced runners (d1 track). He made the skin and bones top runners feel pretty demoralized...
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [El Jefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s about 24 mph for 12k... so no not very impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: The Crit at the CrossFit Games. [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that was a bit of a letdown. No big crashes are crazy attacks off the front. They actually seemed to have some ok racing strategy, the leader would fall back after pulling for a little bit. Though that paceline was pretty strung out so they weren’t optimizing draft opportunities. Not sure how scoring goes, but I would’ve tried to team up with 2 other guys and make a break from the get go.

Guessing the guy who had to swap a bike due to a dropped chain doesn’t ever ride. Also another guy had a pedal break off. Wonder how that even happened (they show it around 1:47). I thought the guy that won (Adrian Mundwiler) actually looked pretty good on the bike. Glanced at his Instagram and it looks like he does some mountain and road biking in some nice locals. And he’s got a Canyon Aeroroad w/ Zipp 303’s and a q-ring. So that should earn him some slowtwitch points.

Top guys covered the 12km course in the 18:30’s. So about 24 mph. Not bad actually, could probable hang on to th group in a cat 4/5 crit if they could get comfortable riding closer together. It’d be interesting to see what a power file from this would look li.e

Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next