Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And before everybody starts whining and calling others soft, there are trees down everywhere out on course and in the city, porta potties literally flying through the air...there was no way they could hold this race today. Good call by IM and the RD.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so ... does this turn cozumel into a big huge shootout?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to the AG racers.

For the pros, is there an upcoming race they could/would decide to switch too? Everyone was so looking forward to Iden, Frodo, and that Leonard Saunders guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMAZ would be great option. Gives them a few weeks to get in some workouts before a short taper.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what does that mean for the AG racers?

I realize no race today, but will they get free entry into any race? 2022 Sacramento or certain 2022 races?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

In this thread or one of the others someone said Lionel cannot leave USA due to getting his green card recently.

Bummer for all involved.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think someone mentioned in another thread (or maybe it was earlier in this one) that Lionel can't leave the USA for 6 months as he just received his green card.
I would assume the other Pros will move to Cozumel or maybe Florida or Arizona. I'm sure they will all talk. Gustav will be doing one for sure, as the whole point of this was to see how he holds up at the longer distance. It wouldn't surprise me if Jan just goes home. He has nothing to prove. I could also see Lionel calling a year (for real this time). It all depends how badly he wants to test out his changes on the bike from his testing.
A bummer that today was canceled, but it's the right call. The weather looks nasty and it's just not safe.
Stay safe everyone.

Cheers

Quinner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman could make IM FL a male and female pro race in two weeks…..

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [toomanycats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will most likely get a deferral to IM California 2022. With so many deferrals over the past 2 years I doubt they will get another option as the other races have got to be pretty close to being sold out.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ........ at the end of your comment makes me think you know something lol.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish, merely a suggestion.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
bmpskier wrote:
Holy smokes! As a Sacramento and Northern Cal Native, I will say THIS ONE IS REAL! Wind and sideways rain all night. Epic storm. I really hope the race goes on. Despite the shortened bike course there WILL be a significant DNF (not even counting the DNS). While many may use the shortened course as an excuse to drop I'll call BS now. For anyone that does finish todays race...it will be a story to tell!
I'm heading out there now to volunteer.

To you and all volunteers thanks for your service today. I am sure the racers will be perpetually indebted to all of you.

Thanks. I am terribly disappointed that it is canceled, particularly for all of the athletes that trained so hard. I was looking forward to giving back. I can empathize with the disappointment because I too was minutes from entering the water in 2014 when Tahoe got cancelled. Given what's happening it's the right call. The area will need roads open and emergency equipment and personnel available the next few days.

My advice...go find a local race no matter the size and kick ass.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When IMCal was announced I thought there was a chance of race cancellation from seasonal wildfire smoke which has been bad in the last few years around this time, never would have imagined rain/wind cancelling it.

On the positive, California desperately needs rain. Good call from the race organizer and IM.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [balang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
balang wrote:
Third, according to his LinkedIn Bio, https://www.linkedin.com/in/dave-reid-64a1a8166/, Dave Reid, the race of director IM California was the race director of IM Tahoe which was canceled the morning of due to smoke from forest fires, https://www.rgj.com/...e-race-day/15849023/. Smoke from fires is extremely predictable so it was obviously hope over practically that they waited to the last minute to cancel. Consequently, I worry that we will have the same scenario again.

This guy called it!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

In this thread or one of the others someone said Lionel cannot leave USA due to getting his green card recently.

Bummer for all involved.

This is incorrect. Permanent residents (green card holders) are allowed to travel at will.

Quote:
If you are a permanent resident, you can travel outside the United States. Temporary or brief travel usually does not affect your permanent resident status. However, if we determine that you did not intend to make the United States your permanent home, we will find that you have abandoned your permanent resident status. A general guide used is whether you have been absent from the United States for more than a year.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/explore-my-options/travel-outside-the-us-as-a-permanent-resident

Although I'd actually like to know how he was eligible for a green card in the first place, if he had a permanent work visa it was likely as a P-1A...and usually you move that to an O-1. This goes down some crazy rabbit hole, but is Erin a US citizen? That would be the fastest way to a green card, otherwise we're talking a significant period of time. Granted things "tend" to be different for Canadians since we're neighbors.

BUT, that still would not affect his ability to travel if he actually has a green card.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 24, 21 7:08
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
balang wrote:

Third, according to his LinkedIn Bio, https://www.linkedin.com/in/dave-reid-64a1a8166/, Dave Reid, the race of director IM California was the race director of IM Tahoe which was canceled the morning of due to smoke from forest fires, https://www.rgj.com/...e-race-day/15849023/. Smoke from fires is extremely predictable so it was obviously hope over practically that they waited to the last minute to cancel. Consequently, I worry that we will have the same scenario again.

This guy called it!

Are you suggesting it should have been cancelled last night? If so, I don't understand because the bikes are already at transition or are you suggesting making the call Friday so that the bikes don't even need to be dropped off? It's the right call. It stinks but it's the right call.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [bmpskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmpskier wrote:
alex_korr wrote:
balang wrote:

This guy called it!

Are you suggesting it should have been cancelled last night? If so, I don't understand because the bikes are already at transition or are you suggesting making the call Friday so that the bikes don't even need to be dropped off? It's the right call. It stinks but it's the right call.

I am simply stating that the user balang called this very scenario correctly. I am not in Sac, so hard to tell what's what, but this will likely doom the race long term. Just like his handling of IMLT doomed IMLT.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [bmpskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmpskier wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
bmpskier wrote:
Holy smokes! As a Sacramento and Northern Cal Native, I will say THIS ONE IS REAL! Wind and sideways rain all night. Epic storm. I really hope the race goes on. Despite the shortened bike course there WILL be a significant DNF (not even counting the DNS). While many may use the shortened course as an excuse to drop I'll call BS now. For anyone that does finish todays race...it will be a story to tell!
I'm heading out there now to volunteer.

To you and all volunteers thanks for your service today. I am sure the racers will be perpetually indebted to all of you.

Thanks. I am terribly disappointed that it is canceled, particularly for all of the athletes that trained so hard. I was looking forward to giving back. I can empathize with the disappointment because I too was minutes from entering the water in 2014 when Tahoe got cancelled. Given what's happening it's the right call. The area will need roads open and emergency equipment and personnel available the next few days.

My advice...go find a local race no matter the size and kick ass.

Interesting that you mentioned IMTahoe 2014 cancellation. When I found out that 2015 was going to be the last year, I decided to make the trip to Tahoe from Canada whether there was a smoke or snow related cancellation, I was just hoping to do it before it seized to exist. We ended up with a glorious day in 2015, so it was the right call and that was the last time I did an IM.

In Aug of that year, I did IM Whistler on a day around the same temp and hard rain (not quite the Sacramento forecast), and in highsight, I wish they cancelled Whistler 2015 on me, because I should have not raced it, but I could not control my own decision making and went ahead and got the finish (it just was not good for my body and frankly was not worth it). I know many friends dropped out that day, but I was too stubborn to drop out and the weather was not quite bad enough for a cancellation....but the rain was turning to sleet at the top of Callaghan Valley climb and the descent was deathly in the cold with two way rider traffic and barely able to control bars.

Sometimes its better when the race organizer makes the call. Most of us can't make the best decision for ourselves as there is too much invested.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, I don't think it's indignation, it's just reality. This is the correct call for safety reasons and I totally support it. But here's the thing: this is my fourth full IM registration, and now two of those have been cancelled for weather. I was in Gurye in 2019 when that hurricane blew by on race day. (Forget the covid-related cancellations for now, which are up to 3, it's a different issue). I spend somewhere around three grand after race registration to buy plane tickets, hotel reservations, car rentals, meals, etc. All of that money is just lost.

Look, I really enjoy training. I know IM doesn't control the weather. I suspect they don't really even control the decision to have or not have a race in poor conditions. I bet that ultimately the local authorities make the call; after all, they're the ones on the hook for water search and rescue, emergency rooms, and even "lighter" problems like bad traffic. But IM puts on most of their full distance events in the fall, when weather is at its most volatile. How can I continue to justify this massive expense to my loved ones when at the end of the day the go/no go is subject to a coin flip?

Ironman events are premium, luxury purchases. We are not getting a premium, luxury experience when the weather goes south. As an organization, they really need to make contingency plans. I'm so sick of this. We could have raced yesterday. I'd be to happy to plan a stay in a pleasant location for two weekends to avoid this. Sure, that's an almost unheard of concept for event permitting. But there is some precedent with the holding period for the Eddie Aikau big wave surfing competition in Hawaii. And Ironman is a multi-billion dollar company. They can make this happen.

Big Hawaiian mahalo to all the volunteers who showed up anyway this morning.
Last edited by: snail_racer: Oct 24, 21 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [snail_racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super bad luck dude. Coitus Interuptus. I am with you. I raced 15 Ironman branded races, and never had a cancelation, never really any complaint or bad experience with the Ironman brand.

This is what it is. Weather seems to be worse year after year. And unless we want to race an Indoor / Zwift Ironman, this is what we get.

I have raced in seriously shitty conditions, but I have also been in the water with dead people. Makes you think!

Good luck and "animos" from Spain to all who got cancelled today. There will be another good day and the weather and the race will be just fine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s fine to be disappointed. I am too although getting out of the car this morning hit by a 35 mph gust, I was pretty sure I was gonna start the swim and see what the conditions were like and if unsafe for me I’d call it

Sitting in the changing tent watching the framing rattle in the wind, got the message.

To the indignation point, those are the very vocal internet people that scream they’re “done with Ironman!!!l” at every slight, posted with their finisher pic as the avatar and you just know they are full of it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
And before everybody starts whining and calling others soft, there are trees down everywhere out on course and in the city, porta potties literally flying through the air...there was no way they could hold this race today. Good call by IM and the RD.

So you saw those portapotties too huh?

Absolutely the right call
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snail_racer wrote:
I don't know, I don't think it's indignation, it's just reality. This is the correct call for safety reasons and I totally support it. But here's the thing: this is my fourth full IM registration, and now two of those have been cancelled for weather. I was in Gurye in 2019 when that hurricane blew by on race day. (Forget the covid-related cancellations for now, which are up to 3, it's a different issue). I spend somewhere around three grand after race registration to buy plane tickets, hotel reservations, car rentals, meals, etc. All of that money is just lost.

Look, I really enjoy training. I know IM doesn't control the weather. I suspect they don't really even control the decision to have or not have a race in poor conditions. I bet that ultimately the local authorities make the call; after all, they're the ones on the hook for water search and rescue, emergency rooms, and even "lighter" problems like bad traffic. But IM puts on most of their full distance events in the fall, when weather is at its most volatile. How can I continue to justify this massive expense to my loved ones when at the end of the day the go/no go is subject to a coin flip?

Ironman events are premium, luxury purchases. We are not getting a premium, luxury experience when the weather goes south. As an organization, they really need to make contingency plans. I'm so sick of this. We could have raced yesterday. I'd be to happy to plan a stay in a pleasant location for two weekends to avoid this. Sure, that's an almost unheard of concept for event permitting. But there is some precedent with the holding period for the Eddie Aikau big wave surfing competition in Hawaii. And Ironman is a multi-billion dollar company. They can make this happen.

Big Hawaiian mahalo to all the volunteers who showed up anyway this morning.

Nailed it on the head. Yet another example of this corporation lacking the foresight and planning to conduct effective communications and contingency planning for inclement weather.

Despite the cancellation of the race, thousands of athletes still travelled to the venue this morning putting themselves at an unnecessary risk.

If I were Ironman, I'd be embarrassed by the video of your reigning world champion, who flew halfway across the world and was going to race with a chest infection, standing in sideways rain at the venue learning about the race being called off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I totally agree. Those are not safe conditions today. I applaud everybody who made the decision to cancel, it's a hard thing to do. I knew a DNS was the smart move, but I put on my wetsuit anyway, freezing cold and ready to go.

I totally get your point about absurd over-the-top indignation. I hope my criticism of IM comes across as more serious and well thought out. It's time for them to take weather contingency seriously. It's likely only going to get worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drove out on the course early and there were trees down all over. Porta potties, signs, etc. in the middle of the road. Then, yeah, as I drive back into the hotel I see a tree down on top of a Jeep (bummer) and porta potties down there, too. Told Lisa the only reason we were driving over to the stadium was to pick up her bike. Lol. I can only imagine what the athlete's village looks like this morning.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply

Prev Next