Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if you just don’t ever take off your wetsuit, lol
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:

This happened a few years ago, think it was CDA 70.3. The bike got shortened and one of the pros rode in his wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
uva0224 wrote:
Forecast the real-feel is 52. and after soaking wet for 10+ hours....
Looooonnnnnnng day indeed....

I am doing full change in T1 and likely T2. Fuck the time LOL

Thankfully our hotel is 2 blocks from the finish and we run right past it 2 or 3 times. Telling her not to come to swim exit or bike turnaround/finish. I don't want my wife to have to be standing out in that crap, she can hole up and stay warm

I was about to mention that only in triathlon would that weather seem "extreme." It's definitely not fast weather, a wet bike course will require a more conservative approach, but there's no reason to be uncomfortable. 10 extra minutes in transition between the two would be well worth making sure you have everything you need even a dry pair of gloves in your jersey pocket or shoe covers if your toes tend to get cold. Good luck! I was thinking about driving down to take some photographs, but not sure if I want to try and keep lenses dry all day, we'll see....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really looking forward to seeing the folks who thrive in the colder weather trounce their fair/hot weather competition. On AMERICAN soil.

If that will actually happen, I dunno.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:

This happened a few years ago, think it was CDA 70.3. The bike got shortened and one of the pros rode in his wetsuit.

I'm sure many here who raced IMLT in 2013 recall the AG'er cycling in his wetsuit with his IMLT backpack strapped on his back! 35 degrees, cycling at 20mph? Kind of made sense in retrospect. LOL.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [bmpskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmpskier wrote:
42point2 wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:

I'm sure many here who raced IMLT in 2013 recall the AG'er cycling in his wetsuit with his IMLT backpack strapped on his back! 35 degrees, cycling at 20mph? Kind of made sense in retrospect. LOL.

Chafing must have been insane unless his wetsuit was 2 sizes too large.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
The forecast is Heavy Rain. 50-60(F! not c I am so sorry) plus 20mph wind.
I am so doomed…planning for 12hr of suffering Anyone else join me?

Ugh, that is a tough forecast! I did IMMT 2016 the year it was pouring rain and very windy for the bike. Miserable! It was my first IM and I was stressing about the weather for days leading up to the race. I was very cold on the bike because I didn't wear a rain jacket/breaker. Just my normal sleeveless racer-back tri-kit. (not smart and I know better living in the north and I'm used to bad weather). I thought I would warm up as I used to bike race in the pouring rain back in the 90s and never wore a jacket. But being older I'll now always wear a jacket if weather calls for rain on an IM bike.

It's going to suck on a rainy bike leg, but you are not doomed. The run for me turned out to be what saved my day. It was cooler and cloudy and I didn't suffer from the heat. Ran a great marathon and got myself onto the "long" podium after a tough swim and bike. So don't give up before you start the race. Just have some warmer gear for the bike. Everyone is in the same boat so just control what you can.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's going to rain this much in the coming days, including race day, does that mean there's a strong chance the swim will be canceled?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring light weight weather resistant riding jacket you can also run with if needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hah! I'm hoping some rain will rinse out the e coli!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wouldn't matter too much time wise. Everyone will flow downstream and finish sub 1hr :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to dwell on e coli, but this latest map is concerning:

https://waterboards.maps.arcgis.com/...682500.3086%2C102100

Not sure if that link will zoom in to swim location automatically, but e coli readings are in the "red" for most of our time in American river. Not sure what it takes for officials to close the river to swimming. Bummer.

/ sorry about that. now, resume fretting about the wet and cold day....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Vapor Trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that is what it is (as is the weather), and I have no doubt there is a go/no go level for the race.

Weird though that historical looks like they were testing weekly, the last test is for 10/5
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there at IM Moo in 2006 as well….just a bunch of fond memories of an epic day at this point…epic is good as time moves on (not so much when it happens!)

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:

Dont mean to be an a**hole, and Sure you could hope for better weather, but you americans are soft weather - wise!:-)

I know it all about what we’re all used to, but That forecast is my average training day here in norway:-) for me temps would actually be almost on The hot side! My Perfect race-weather would be 50 F and light rain (wind coul back off though- all it does is slow us down:)) on The other hand, Im dead if there is sun and over 65F , That would have me whining!;)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
uva0224 wrote:

Dont mean to be an a**hole, and Sure you could hope for better weather, but you americans are soft weather - wise!:-)

I know it all about what we’re all used to, but That forecast is my average training day here in norway:-) for me temps would actually be almost on The hot side! My Perfect race-weather would be 50 F and light rain (wind coul back off though- all it does is slow us down:)) on The other hand, Im dead if there is sun and over 65F , That would have me whining!;)

If sun and over 65F is bad, I contest that you are the soft as well.

People are stressing about the weather because it simply ins't in live with what you would expect in NorCal. It won't be anywhere near as cold as Tahoe in 2013 or rainy as Cork in 2019 but people need to vent. It is all fine. Prepare everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont mean to be an a**hole, and Sure you could hope for better weather, but you americans are soft weather - wise!:-) //

No kidding, this is what I used to call perfect race weather. In fact, it would not be cold enough for my liking, and I would do the entire race in a trisuit only. There will be some folks that end up with their best times, people like me and you that are water cooled. I remember doing a half ironman in Lake Placid in 48 degrees and pouring rain and wind the entire race. I think I drank on bottle of water and one bottle of coke, and finished stronger than I ever had for that distance, over 10 minute ahead of 2nd place too. The same race on a 90 degree day would have me drinking 5 times as much, and taking 5 times the calories too. go figure..

What was the old saying, horses for courses... Pretty sure Iden will love this, as the Brownlees do too.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you're spot on about benefits of cooler temps translating into faster performance. Not arguing that point. But I probably won't find cold rain pelting me on the bike refreshing. And yeah, I think many locals attending this weekend are weather weenies -- me included. It's what you're used to. Cold and rainy around here is a severe winter storm (you should see the driving). I had much thicker blood when I lived in the Northeast.
Last edited by: Vapor Trail: Oct 20, 21 6:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Dont mean to be an a**hole, and Sure you could hope for better weather, but you americans are soft weather - wise!:-) //

No kidding, this is what I used to call perfect race weather. In fact, it would not be cold enough for my liking, and I would do the entire race in a trisuit only. There will be some folks that end up with their best times, people like me and you that are water cooled. I remember doing a half ironman in Lake Placid in 48 degrees and pouring rain and wind the entire race. I think I drank on bottle of water and one bottle of coke, and finished stronger than I ever had for that distance, over 10 minute ahead of 2nd place too. The same race on a 90 degree day would have me drinking 5 times as much, and taking 5 times the calories too. go figure..

What was the old saying, horses for courses... Pretty sure Iden will love this, as the Brownlees do too.

Whatever the 55-and-rain year was at Wildflower (2004? 2005?) I remember seeing about 1/3 of the rack spaces empty (and I know the race was sold out). Can't imagine bailing on an A-race like that, but some folks make that call.

In the larger picture, NorCal generally has great weather for tris...yet IM keeps having horrible luck doing races here. Tahoe had snow, smoke, etc. unitl they just dropped the race. It's 70 and sunny at 4:00PM as I write this from the Bay Area, but by race day....

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran enough times in the rain while in the Army that I avoid it as much as I can, purely on the Quality of Life Principle.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever the 55-and-rain year was at Wildflower (2004? 2005?) I remember seeing about 1/3 of the rack spaces empty (and I know the race was sold out). Can't imagine bailing on an A-race like that, but some folks make that call.

I remember that year, and in the entire history of Wildflower, they had it like that just 3 times. And I have no sympathy at all for those that choose not to race, or did and had horrible days. The other 35 times they had the race, most of the time it was in the 90's and just cooking in all those canyons. If I had to pitch up on those days that I just deplored, then shouldn't we get to gloat and enjoy the perfect 50 degree and raining days??

I suppose I was supposed to be a skier, or some other winter sport athlete. But unfortunately I fell into triathlon, a sport that typically races in 90+ degree weather. I always enjoyed going to other countries, many of those races would be in inclement weather, but the folks that raced there were also quite used to it and tough guys..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

By any chance was that 1984 at Lake Placid?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By any chance was that 1984 at Lake Placid? //

Kind of fuzzy on the year, could have been 82/83/ or 84 I suppose. The course was a mile+ swim/ 50 mile bike/ and 11 mile run if that helps you date it. It was the day I realized that I was fine to go long distances, and I thrived in extreme cold and wet. Unfortunately for me, in the next 700 races I did, only a handful repeated those conditions. I also was not privy to all the knowledge about heat racing that is available today, that would have made a huge difference for me.

I know I started going there in 82, they hired me to do a talk at the olympic training center, and I did a bunch of those Monday nite sprint races. Just dont recall the first time that they had that long distance race, do you remember the first one there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
By any chance was that 1984 at Lake Placid? //

Kind of fuzzy on the year, could have been 82/83/ or 84 I suppose. The course was a mile+ swim/ 50 mile bike/ and 11 mile run if that helps you date it. It was the day I realized that I was fine to go long distances, and I thrived in extreme cold and wet. Unfortunately for me, in the next 700 races I did, only a handful repeated those conditions. I also was not privy to all the knowledge about heat racing that is available today, that would have made a huge difference for me.

I know I started going there in 82, they hired me to do a talk at the olympic training center, and I did a bunch of those Monday nite sprint races. Just dont recall the first time that they had that long distance race, do you remember the first one there?

Is did a google search. It may have been 1985. Scroll down to your post about it here back in 2013

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...3F_P4391499/?page=-1

I remember the race. Wore a speedo no shirt. Last thing I remember is getting off the bike in T2

Next thing I know I wake up in the car 4 hours later with my sister in law driving back to Rochester. I ask her what happened

She said I refused to put on my running shoes and was swearing at the volunteers for doing a bad job of cutting the oranges lol.

She had to put me in the car and load all of my equipment herself.

Mist have gotten hypothermia

Too bad for you. As you say if triathlons were a winter event things would have been much different for you
Last edited by: MrTri123: Oct 19, 21 16:55
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is did a google search. It may have been 1985. Scroll down to your post about it here back in 2013 //

It was someone else that mentioned it was maybe 1985, but now that I think about it, pretty sure it was either 82/83. I met a girl there in the bar at the pot luck after one of the Monday nite races, and I moved her out to CA to live with me for several years. That was 1983 when I flew out and drove her cross country, so had to be that year or the one before. I wish someone had saved the old paper results of those races, or even remembers who the RD's were. All I remember is that it was sponsored by a local gym, forget the name though. Snow something(maybe Sun Dog?), maybe someone else can fill in that blank? And there was definitely some left over olympic money, they were the ones that paid me to show up and race, and I did a really huge talk at the then new olympic training center.

Pretty funny now that you totally blacked out and have no memory of the end of your day there. I won the race, so dont have any excuse like that for my failed memory. I feel like Al Bundy's daughter sometimes, the episode where she could retail all this knowledge, but for every new bit she learned, an old one disappeared. It was a game show and the final question was who was it that scored 4 touchdowns in their final high school football game for the win, and she missed it!!! You Married with Children fans will appreciate that irony...
Last edited by: monty: Oct 19, 21 18:42
Quote Reply

Prev Next