Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast
Quote | Reply
The forecast is Heavy Rain. 50-60(F! not c I am so sorry) plus 20mph wind.
I am so doomed…planning for 12hr of suffering Anyone else join me?
Last edited by: uva0224: Oct 18, 21 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not joining you, but if the temps are 50-60c, then I wouldn’t even think about toeing the start line. Did you mean 50-60F?

Focus on those things you have control over. You’ll be awesome!
Last edited by: scooter23: Oct 18, 21 13:51
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not great in Kelvin either....let's hope Farenheit
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Latest forecast: Overcast with rain showers at times throughout day. High 58F. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%. Estimated ~1.2" rain during the day.

That's a little better than was forecasted when I checked this morning. Not the worst weather, but could be a very long day out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the Norwegians say, No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing

The silver lining is with cloud cover the lows are about 10 degrees warmer than today, not gonna be in the 40s

I'll be there. Gonna be a long day, but it always was gonna be
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 18, 21 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forecast the real-feel is 52. and after soaking wet for 10+ hours....
Looooonnnnnnng day indeed....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:

I am doing full change in T1 and likely T2. Fuck the time LOL

Thankfully our hotel is 2 blocks from the finish and we run right past it 2 or 3 times. Telling her not to come to swim exit or bike turnaround/finish. I don't want my wife to have to be standing out in that crap, she can hole up and stay warm
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 18, 21 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
uva0224 wrote:

The full change is the way to go!! For IMCdA in June I did a full change in T2 given the 110 degree heat. It was AWESOME! No chafing, comfortable clothing, and a ridiculous full rim hat!

Good luck to all the racers. I'll be volunteering in transition and wherever else they need me. I'm preparing to be standing around in the cold and rain all day. For those of you from out of town, we had our first significant rain down here in Sacramento and about a foot of snow just up the mountain! It beats heat and smoke. Enjoy the race!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [bmpskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for volunteering!

And yeah, so happy we're getting the rain. But Monday would have worked out a bit nicer for my schedule.

Too bad no changing tents in transition this year. Might make full clothing swap a bit more challenging than usual. Maybe head to portapotties?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:

I’m glad Cali is getting some rain they need, but I hate it won’t be ideal conditions. Was really hoping for a drag race.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [bmpskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beats heat and smoke... Amen to that

Thanks for volunteering
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Vapor Trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deck change with a towel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you have clear lenses for your glasses. As someone who grew up racing bikes in Oregon, you definitely will want something to cover your eyes. Just embrace the suck. I don’t know if it's true or not, but it always felt like rolling resistance was a little better on soaking roads (the traction certainly sucks on turns),
So maybe that will help. The only reason I would change clothes is to get the road grit out of my shorts. Seems like the splashes from your rear wheel always made for a gritty chammy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say keep your tires on the softer side, if they are kind of worn maybe replace them before the race, bring one more tube than you normally would because the chance of getting a flat is a lot higher in the rain, be careful of the areas where the car tires go in the lane because the pavement tends to be smoother and the water pools up there. Allow some extra distance for braking and back off on the corners a bit. Careful of metal stuff like railroad tracks and utility covers, don't cross them with turning or braking force on the bike.

55 and rain for 5 hours is going to mean keeping the heat in your core, dress in layers you can remove, maybe wear a bike jersey with pockets to stuff clothes in if the sun pops out.

I ride a lot in difficult weather and would respect that temperature if it's rainy, given the length of the event.
Last edited by: jroden: Oct 18, 21 16:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:

That’s giving me 2006 Wisconsin flashbacks. Yeah, it sucked. It took me half the night to get warm again.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [eblackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you mention, just discovered my aero helmet has a snap on clear shield. Posted here about it as I have not used one in rain before. Going to experiment a couple days before
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Funny you mention, just discovered my aero helmet has a snap on clear shield. Posted here about it as I have not used one in rain before. Going to experiment a couple days before
Ride by my house and I'll spray you with the hose to see how it does in the rain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Deck change with a towel

No changing tents in Coeur d'Alene either so this is exactly what I did. If you are concerned about having a wardrobe malfunction then I suppose you can use the Surf Poncho. LOL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv0PVOE9ze4

Don't forget to bring old shoes or socks while waiting around for the swim to start. This was one of the best tips I got before IMLT in 2013 (30 degrees at the start).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
uva0224 wrote:

Thankfully our hotel is 2 blocks from the finish and we run right past it 2 or 3 times. Telling her not to come to swim exit or bike turnaround/finish. I don't want my wife to have to be standing out in that crap, she can hole up and stay warm

That's the ticket. Protip from my running days in Northwest - have a trash bag with the holes for arms and head handy. It makes for an awesome improvised rain top and then it can be easily stowed away in the back pocket.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. This appears to be no joke. Looks like an Atmospheric River.

"If the forecasts continue to hold and we see storms like the models have been showing, these storms could drop inches of total precipitation vs tenths of an inch like we are seeing with storms this week. The GFS & European models both show up to 5 inches of liquid near the crest over the next 9 days."

https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe

The snow predictions are impressive! The good news is that we'll be skiing on Halloween!!

Looking like a possibility of 45" + of snow by the end of the month.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So almost exactly like Tri-Battle, lol.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sort of sounds like Norseman weather. You could maybe get some clothing tips from the photos on the front page
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

That’s giving me 2006 Wisconsin flashbacks. Yeah, it sucked. It took me half the night to get warm again.

Oh man, that was relatively miserable weather that I had almost forgotten about. I remember getting a big garbage bag from a volunteer to wear after punching out head and arm holes for the run during that 2006 Wisconsin, and was only saved by the silver blankets at the finish line and a quick transfer back to the hotel Hot tub (which was glorious!).

On the bike there was a short downhill with a corner at the bottom and people were wiping out left and right from losing traction on the slick crosswalk paint lines in the turn. In hindsight, it’s great to know that you can survive in less than desirable conditions.

Good luck to everyone this weekend. Here’s hoping for a last minute improvement on the forecast and be careful out there, and if not, maybe you will be able to smile and laugh at your shared suffering when someone brings it up 15 years later in 2036 on this forum!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Deck change with a towel

Another option is wearing a speedo under everything during the race. That way you can change in public.

Put your towels in tied garbage bags you can rip open when needed in T1/T2. The ones in backpacks/drawstring bags/etc. can end up soaked.

Ditto for shoes/clothing.

Basically, buy a box of garbage bags and bring them to the race. White works best so you can sharpie them. Red or green sharpies work best since others will bring black.

If any peeps on the peninsula want to borrow a short-sleeve Gabba jersey (size L), let me know.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be there! Can’t wait to be an IronPrune at the finish line!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply

Prev Next