Cue the “I’m done with Ironman!” indignation
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Exactly. Triathletes are a very selfish lot

Some people just don’t think I guess.

I’m very disappointed, would have also preferred to have the option to defer. But it’s the right call, not a “wimpy” one at all.

Last time RD ignored the weather, more than 20 people died. Earlier this year in a 100k trail run in China.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

I can't wait to read the inevitable complaints about the lousy coverage of the race on Facebook Now,during a major weather event, Why are there no choppers in the air? Why don't they have drones following? Why does the feed drop out all the time and of course the usual.why aren't you showing the Female Pro's (during a Male Pro only event)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
i think it's important to remember that in a situation like this, the question for the race director isn't, "gee, i wonder if that triathlete is hardcore enough to race today?"

evidently there are plenty of hardcore athletes here and i have no doubt that they are smart, fit, and experienced enough to get through bad weather. but that ranks way down low on the list of concerns the RD has.

the questions are more like:
-can i reasonably expect volunteers to stay out in these conditions for 18+ hours?
-how many will bail out?
-what's the minimum number of volunteers i need to safely deliver the race?
-what's the minimum number i need to deliver a fun, memorable event?
-how much am i willing to downgrade the race experience before i think it damages the brand?
-being in the service-delivery business, when do i think it's better to cancel than to deliver an inferior service?
-what kind of extra medical am i going to need on the day?
-given that there's a pandemic and a big storm coming, can i justify drawing more EMS/police services away from the city/region?
-what's my exposure to liability here - for personal injury, or even just people just disappointed with my downgraded experience, etc?
-how much of my own equipment will get damaged/lost in a big storm, and what's that going to cost me?
-for the two questions above, what would the implications be for my insurance in the future?

etc etc etc.

i've put on a few tiny little races in the past, but running a thousand-person ironman is more like putting on a rock concert. it's a massive undertaking. yes, the race is "for" the athletes and the mission is to deliver them a great experience. but it has a lot of moving parts and requires a lot of good will and effort from many quarters. ironman is difficult by definition, and the RDs are not sitting around second-guessing the toughness of the athletes. they're thinking about the above.

This is a good post, both for this race and generally... thank you.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

post #115 "Such BS. Definitely my last IM..."

But…. It’s also his/her first, so… can you really say that? And given the posts on social media “this isn’t an Ironman” guess it’s not his first or last anything
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Anna s wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

post #115 "Such BS. Definitely my last IM..."

But…. It’s also his/her first, so… can you really say that? And given the posts on social media “this isn’t an Ironman” guess it’s not his first or last anything

3/5 ironman?

PyritePerson?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Mulen wrote:
PRO Athletes looks to be doing full distance :)

Fantastic news

Mike has shared a list of considerations the RD has to take into account. Worth remembering that this will/should be based on the mandatory risk assessment completed long ago, which will include adverse weather conditions as a risk/hazard and mitigating measures. The RD who then ignores that RA does so with considerable jeopardy to them and the race organisation/company; not to mention the competitors (wide spectrum of speeds mean the reduced distance will allow the slowest to be off their bikes before 2pm) and the volunteers around the route, especially in exposed sites.
The MPRO field can be relied on to ride the 180km in less than 5 hours so they will all be running by 1pm which means reducing their distance is a mitigation not needed. Edit to add: I agree @MrTri123; excellent news.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Oct 24, 21 5:25
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

I can't wait to read the inevitable complaints about the lousy coverage of the race on Facebook Now,during a major weather event, Why are there no choppers in the air? Why don't they have drones following? Why does the feed drop out all the time and of course the usual.why aren't you showing the Female Pro's (during a Male Pro only event)

You forgot to mention why aren’t we seeing bib #7640 (if you watched Lionel latest video) you will understand this one ;)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
Mulen wrote:
PRO Athletes looks to be doing full distance :)

Fantastic news
Mike has shared a list of considerations the RD has to take into account. Worth remembering that this will/should be based on the mandatory risk assessment completed long ago, which will include adverse weather conditions as a risk/hazard and mitigating measures. The RD who then ignores that RA does so with considerable jeopardy to them and the race organisation/company; not to mention the competitors (wide spectrum of speeds mean the reduced distance will allow the slowest to be off their bikes before 2pm) and the volunteers around the route, especially in exposed sites.
The MPRO field can be relied on to ride the 180km in less than 5 hours so they will all be running by 1pm which means reducing their distance is a mitigation not needed.

Yes like I said

Fantastic news
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What time is the start time... Est
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talbot tweeted 8 minutes ago that the race has been cancelled.
https://twitter.com/TalbotCox/status/1452257544047579138

Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [st001rtg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I Don't trust that
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course you don't........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are announcing it live at the stadium. Online posts will most likely follow shortly.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by bmpskier [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://twitter.com/TriathleteMag/status/1452263134102790144

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [bmpskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmpskier wrote:
Holy smokes! As a Sacramento and Northern Cal Native, I will say THIS ONE IS REAL! Wind and sideways rain all night. Epic storm. I really hope the race goes on. Despite the shortened bike course there WILL be a significant DNF (not even counting the DNS). While many may use the shortened course as an excuse to drop I'll call BS now. For anyone that does finish todays race...it will be a story to tell!
I'm heading out there now to volunteer.

To you and all volunteers thanks for your service today. I am sure the racers will be perpetually indebted to all of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Reilly just did an IG Live saying it’s cancelled
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer
Quote Reply
Re: IM Cal Bad Bad weather forecast [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not doing an indoor event?