Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
I know I saw it in one of them but I can't find the post now. I think it was buried in a comment somewhere. Regardless, just assume that was unsubstantiated rumor. I have nothing to back it up with.

Well, drat. Back to nervously training.

Despite the short time until the race, I'd be shocked if they don't get something approved. Huge black eye if they don't.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
frumptyfrontbum wrote:
noofus wrote:

Rumor mill in the FB group says they think the "Option 2" route was approved.

Was this today? I've seen nothing in the ones I'm in, and I thought I followed them all.

I know I saw it in one of them but I can't find the post now. I think it was buried in a comment somewhere. Regardless, just assume that was unsubstantiated rumor. I have nothing to back it up with.

Some guy made that comment last week, but he said he "heard it would be approved," or something to that effect. He did not provide a source. I call BS until we have word from someone involved in the process.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is option 2 the last remaining option? So it's approve that or....?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woodchuck wrote:
Is option 2 the last remaining option? So it's approve that or....?

At the Woodlands township council meeting, the three options were the only ones mentioned, of which option 2 seems to be the only one that was still viable. But that doesn't mean they couldn't have come up with another alternative in the past couple of weeks. Seems unlikely that they'd be able to work the approval, planning & logistics for a new route in such a short time, but if it were a looped course all in the woodlands, I suppose it's possible.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [~C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
~C wrote:
Just hope they don't do what they did on 1486 coming from Richards to Dobbins. They ruined a good road with the chip seal. At any rate, they could postpone any road construction until after the race seeing what the economic impact is to the region.

The documents say asphalt. It also says it's a 13 month project that they have start in between some woodpecker's breeding/baby schedules. So postponing would only drag it out to the following years.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Dev,

Thanks - yes, called out again.

My posts in this genre are meant to provoke. They are meant to get people thinking, and then hopefully some action coming out of them.

You are right, not ALL triathletes ride like I mentioned. But a large enough cohort do that we have a problem.

My point is simply, that ALL cyclists, as I said, triathlete, commuter, roadie, whoever, need to respect the rules of the road, know that the roads are shared public spaces for all users, AND also when riding in groups, use proper group riding etiquette. We have a LONG way to go with this!

Steve, sorry man, but you're just being a pompous ass in your "provoking". Triathletes don't have a monopoly on bad bike handling, there is plenty of crap behaviour from road cyclists and commuters and random people on their bikes weaving all over the place. You could just talk about people on bikes in general and leave it at that.

In that vein, it would be nice if "once in a while, you who make a large part of your living on the backs of triathletes stopped talking down to them/us. Triathletes have to learn a wide set of skills that runners don't have, cyclists don't have and swimmers don't have and do them fairly well to get through a triathlon. Just yesterday at my airport check in I was talking to the agent who happened to be a marathoner, who also swims at her cottage lake.

She was talking about maybe doing a tri one day and even an IM. I said if you can swim 10 min without stopping and already do a marathon, you can do an IM at some point, it's just a matter of building up the skills. She was very intimidated by the entire open water with tons of people, riding in traffic to train for the race and figuring out transitions and then having to run on fried legs after that and then for the longer races, figuring out how to get down meals while moving.

Its easy to put down triathletes like you keep doing, but cut/us them some slack. For many there is a massive learning curve to learn many aspects of three sports, transitions, equipment, nutrition, and just balancing all this in day to day life. It's not that easy....you pulled the plug as soon as you became a dad yet you talk down constantly to people who are managing family life and learning this sport (and so what if their bike handing is a bit bad, they will get better in time and frankly most ride safe enough or they would be dead yet we here of very few actual incidents).

Come on Steve, you can do better. You don't need to provoke, you don't need to talk down to people. You can just offer free guidance on how to ride better in traffic or in a group if you care enough.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could just talk about people on bikes in general and leave it at that.

I did. I made it clear in my initial remarks and in my follow up, that that is indeed the case. My apologies that you have taken this personally.

I'll say it again, ANY AND EVERY PERSON, who rides a bike is part of the solution here! We ALL need to be on the same page!

In that vein, it would be nice if "once in a while, you who make a large part of your living on the backs of triathletes stopped talking down to them/us. Triathletes have to learn a wide set of skills that runners don't have, cyclists don't have and swimmers don't have and do them fairly well to get through a triathlon.

Thank you. And that's why yesterday, on behalf of the Toronto Triathlon Festival, I Emceed a get-together for over 130 people who had never done a triathlon before. All first timers. Many in the audience found all this talk of Ironman very intimidating. Some thought to be a triathlete you had to do an Ironman!! - myself and the panel, made sure that ANYONE who puts together swim/bike/run of ANY length, is a triathlete!

Come on Steve, you can do better. You don't need to provoke, you don't need to talk down to people. You can just offer free guidance on how to ride better in traffic or in a group if you care enough.

Provoke is a strong word, but I find sometimes strong words, and talk is needed. When you come upon a group of triathletes riding all over the road blocking traffic and you nicely try and explain to them, how it might be better for them and the traffic backed up behind, if they took up less of the road, only to be told to "Fuck off"( this has happened frequently). I don't mind pushing back a bit harder. As I said earlier EVERYONE who rides a bike, needs to get on the same page with regards to the rules of the road, sharing the road, and proper group riding etiquette. You are taking this personally, Dev - don't. I've ridden with one of your groups and I know you/they get it.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 5, 16 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:
it's a 13 month project that they have start in between some woodpecker's breeding/baby schedules. So postponing would only drag it out to the following years.

Heh heh. You said woodpecker.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [BGNole97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am confused. Is this the "group ride etiquette" thread or the "IMTX" thread? Is there a new protocol on ST where we just have one thread for everything?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, I saw your name on the entry list, are you racing? Want to swim together (assuming your yardage has been light.)?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I am confused. Is this the "group ride etiquette" thread or the "IMTX" thread? Is there a new protocol on ST where we just have one thread for everything?

I think the whole "etiquette" thing is quite ironic considering those posters hijacked the IMTX thread for a personal food fight.

Loved the "Stay on Target" pic. Classic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the longer the thread the less it has to do with the posted topic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the whole "etiquette" thing is quite ironic considering those posters hijacked the IMTX thread for a personal food fight.

My apologies.

However, how people ride and how people use the road, is a big part of the issue here.

Ask around in a number of the Ironman race communities and you don't have to go far to find locals really irritated by cyclists on the road. In fact, my sources, in the Woodlands have told me that it's an issue there.

So you are right, it's a side issue, but it's also a side issue that is directly related to the main issue.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woodchuck wrote:

Yeah. It's science. At some point it'll devolve into Kardashian BS. Probably some equation out there to determine that point. Where's Matt freakin' Damon when you need him?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woodchuck wrote:

Let's go back to the council meeting at 17:45 to 18:03 into the video:

Director Bundy - "We have an issue.,,we have 6 weeks. What is your cutoff date before we have to cancel the bike portion because there is a certain time period you have to work against."

WTC Rep - "Sure. I would like to have some sort of confirmation by April 4th, 5th, that first full weekend in April, and I think that's even pushing it."

Well, here we are.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

My apologies.

However, how people ride and how people use the road, is a big part of the issue here.

Ask around in a number of the Ironman race communities and you don't have to go far to find locals really irritated by cyclists on the road. In fact, my sources, in the Woodlands have told me that it's an issue there.

So you are right, it's a side issue, but it's also a side issue that is directly related to the main issue.

No. The issues are:

1. Rednecks in dually diesel trucks that don't like people riding bikes because they wear tight fitting clothes,
B. Soccer moms who forgot to get capri suns and orange wedges before junior's Saturday game and "unexpectedly" find themselves in traffic (but are on top of it enough to bitch about it at a township meeting months ahead of time), and
4. People who love the idea of living in The Woodlands and enjoying all that it has to offer, but don't like the idea of other people having the nerve to be in The Woodlands enjoying all it has to offer.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Woodchuck wrote:

Let's go back to the council meeting at 17:45 to 18:03 into the video:

Director Bundy - "We have an issue.,,we have 6 weeks. What is your cutoff date before we have to cancel the bike portion because there is a certain time period you have to work against."

WTC Rep - "Sure. I would like to have some sort of confirmation by April 4th, 5th, that first full weekend in April, and I think that's even pushing it."

Well, here we are.

Little update for everybody, there is complete silence from on the IMTX bike course. I can not find out any details, working my contacts and trying to give you guys something.

Option 1 and 3 yes have been denied and confirmed, Option 2 is still possible but every bike rider and car driver in the greater houston area knows this route is the dumbest of them all and stands no chance of getting approved.

Many bike rides have been happening on the OLD IMTX course, I would say 90% of the roads are useable, yes there are issues but they can be avoided, i have made several 112 mile courses where most if not all construction is avoided.

At this point it is all politics, that is what is holding this up.

Everyday that this goes by my % of the race happening goes down, i am at 40% the race is on/ 60% race is cancelled
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [trifantasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think the race won't be canceled...maybe you meant modified.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure he meant cancelled. Would anyone be seriously interested in an aquathon? I will not be making the trip to Texas if that happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
People who love the idea of living in The Woodlands and enjoying all that it has to offer, but don't like the idea of other people having the nerve to be in The Woodlands enjoying all it has to offer

Haha. This is true. I think one of the reasons The Woodlands is an attractive place to live because of the outdoor activities and overall active lifestyle here. Yet people complain about everything here. My wife is in community relations and you'd be astonished at the random complaints they get about this event and so much more

But ultimately, I don't think The Woodlands itself is creating any issue with the race. This is all the result of construction and neighboring communities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate all the updates you have been able to provide. I know we all have our fingers crossed something will be worked out. Just seems like this will be a huge black eye on IMTX, especially with them hosting the North American Championship.
I just hope the WTC does right by all the athletes if the race is canceled or majorly modified.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [Kkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant cancelled. the race will not be modified.

races have been modified the day of or day before due to weather, never because of issues way before the race day.

most of the issues are not because of The Woodlands or the people that live in it, it is people outside on The Woodlands, politics and other issues.

yes people here in the woodlands complain, but most tolerate it for the 1 day here and there, i live specifically in the woodlands because of the active lifestyle it offers

if IMTX leaves the woodlands due to these issues this year, the people will be calling for it to come back when their property taxes go up on their millions dollar homes and they will start crying so much and will be asking WTC to come back after WTC has already moved IMTX to Austin for 2017
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this question is premature, but do your contacts suggest that WTC has already scoped Austin as a future venue if the Woodlands falls through? Same time of the year (April)?
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few minutes ago, I sent an email to the "official" IMTX email address for "course questions" posted on the IMTX website. The email asks WTC to make a public, substantive update on the bike course on the IMTX website, the IMTX Facebook page, and this forum. Tomorrow, I will call the phone number listed with the "course question" email address on the IMTX website and make the same query. I will let y'all know if I receive any response.

Here is the info from the IMTX website on where to direct questions, for those who might be like minded.

For information/questions regarding registration, entrant lists, change of address, course questions, or refunds, contact: texas@ironman.com or call 303-444-4316 (Hours: M-F 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET).

Scrubbie
Quote Reply

Prev Next