Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
jpk_phx wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
In my opinion, this race will happen. It may very well be a swim/run. Legacy hopefuls (& some KQ chasers) couldn't ask for a better scenario.

I'm a legacy hopeful and I could ask for a better scenario - a full course. It's not worth spending the vacation time, effort, and (additional) money to travel to Houston for a 28.6 mile race.

Why did type (additional) money?

What's the logic on it benefiting people chasing KQs. I am a chaser at this event and the 10 hours per week that I have been on the bike don't seem to align with a swim/run very well. Especially one that is going to be announced less than 30 days before the event.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
jpk_phx wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
In my opinion, this race will happen. It may very well be a swim/run. Legacy hopefuls (& some KQ chasers) couldn't ask for a better scenario.

I'm a legacy hopeful and I could ask for a better scenario - a full course. It's not worth spending the vacation time, effort, and (additional) money to travel to Houston for a 28.6 mile race.

Because I didn't pre-pay for my hotel, airfare can be transferred to a different location if I pick a different race, and Tribike Transport (I believe) will credit me for a different race. I would be willing to take a loss on the entry fee, if necessary, if it's an aquathon.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Fleck wrote:
I think the whole "etiquette" thing is quite ironic considering those posters hijacked the IMTX thread for a personal food fight.

My apologies.

However, how people ride and how people use the road, is a big part of the issue here.

Ask around in a number of the Ironman race communities and you don't have to go far to find locals really irritated by cyclists on the road. In fact, my sources, in the Woodlands have told me that it's an issue there.

So you are right, it's a side issue, but it's also a side issue that is directly related to the main issue.

Apologies also for the hijack. Steve and I have been around IM Communities for 25 years, and where you get an IM, you get an overlap of. Cyclists and cars. Many locals who do not economically benefit in the outlying communities hate the inconvenience we cause to them. Those who economically benefit like hotels-restaurants-bike shops etc love us, and they have a battle with those who don't benefit. Meanwhile those of us visiting are in for a race or a few camps, so maybe 2 weekends in the community, but every weekend there are other groups. We can get large, unruly and momentarily take over parts of the road and the friction escalates from there.

Steve, I realize that you know I can handle a bike. A buddy and I did a top 30 all time Strava descent of Alpe d'Huez, so I can hold my line and can have nerves of steel on a bike. I was not defending myself or the guys I ride with, I was defending many that you just grouped broadly. Most triathletes and cyclists that I know are fairly law abiding, so at least here on a tri forum there is no need to group the majority with the bad apples. It's just really a scenario where you have an influx of riders and cars. It's just stats.

In Ottawa where I live we have more than 100k of roads closed every Sunday morning for cyclists. It's just the way it is and cars know to plan another route. On the balance they don't get pissed off at us like they do in Placid or Penticton on weekends (and it seems Woodlands too), when we suddenly fill up the roads. We're on the roads all the time every day and cars get used to it because we are part of the community...they can't kick us out because we live here and the bike advocacy groups, bike clubs, tri clubs, community leaders etc would be ripping it up at city hall. In IM communities though, the riders clogging the roads on bikes are largely not local. Plus an affluent community like Woodlands does not really need our money. But places like Placid, Tremblant etc which are resorts want our money.

I really hope for everyone registered that they put on a full bike course. I am fortunate that in all my Ironmans I got to race the full distance in all of them, including forest fire threats multiple times in Penticton and Tahoe, earthquake in Kona, crazy deluges in Placid and recently in Whistler. Many times WTC could have cancelled, but they always stepped up. This is the first year in the last 3 don't have the health to do Texas and would be really bummed out if I was registered. It's a ton of training and finance to put into a shortened event or a swim-run. My guess is WTC is being quiet because there is a good chance they can pull something with a full course off. If not they will put the gears in motion to vector people over to other non sold out events. It is really too bad all of WTC events are in the late summer or fall now. For many doing IM Texas is the best shot to do an IM and free up summer for families!

You can't be that sorry about the hijack, you just plugged it again.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
jpk_phx wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

What's the logic on it benefiting people chasing KQs. I am a chaser at this event and the 10 hours per week that I have been on the bike don't seem to align with a swim/run very well. Especially one that is going to be announced less than 30 days before the event.

I did type "some" KQ hopefuls. "Some" KQ hopefuls are going to have strong swims and/or strong runs and not having a bike leg would help their chances. "Some" KQ hopefuls are going to be stronger on the bike and probably be pissed off if a swim/run format is adopted.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Jim Martin wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
jpk_phx wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

I did type "some" KQ hopefuls. "Some" KQ hopefuls are going to have strong swims and/or strong runs and not having a bike leg would help their chances. "Some" KQ hopefuls are going to be stronger on the bike and probably be pissed off if a swim/run format is adopted.

I am reasonably decent swimmer, a somewhat strong cyclist and a very strong runner. I would probably fair pretty well in an aquathlon type format, and just rely on my run to get me there. I can see how those who have built their strength on the bike would be at a disadvantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Jim Martin wrote:

....meekly holds up hand....

If it is an aquathlon and I don't KQ I would be a little disappointed. But as a triathlon, KQ is only at the back of my mind.

The thing is, I hate that this is even entering my consciousness. Which is why they need to have absolute resolution to this issue - one way or the other- ASAP.
Last edited by: ajthomas: Apr 6, 16 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [BGNole97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Certainly would be an issue. But no more of an issue than the Option 2 route that goes under 249 and several train tracks. Like I said, the Uturns under the overpasses would be available during those times, so no loss in accessability. If the construction on 149 is the only real issue, just use 1097 and Johnson road over to 1486 and do some loops over there, or head out towards Anderson and 1774. If the MS150 training series rides can do their rides year after year after year all over the area, I really don't see what the problem is. Get creative. Grease a few palms, and git er dun. I find it ironic that an event who's motto is "anything is possible" is getting so close to a major event without a published course."

I like your thought process here. Plenty of other options and Country roads could be put in place out here in this area which would effect far less people than what is being discussed as far as Option 2.

You and I are just little people, no offense ,but hopefully the decision makers are at least looking at this as an Option 4?
Last edited by: gwk100: Apr 6, 16 11:30
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [gwk100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gwk100 wrote:
"Certainly would be an issue. But no more of an issue than the Option 2 route that goes under 249 and several train tracks. Like I said, the Uturns under the overpasses would be available during those times, so no loss in accessability. If the construction on 149 is the only real issue, just use 1097 and Johnson road over to 1486 and do some loops over there, or head out towards Anderson and 1774. If the MS150 training series rides can do their rides year after year after year all over the area, I really don't see what the problem is. Get creative. Grease a few palms, and git er dun. I find it ironic that an event who's motto is "anything is possible" is getting so close to a major event without a published course."

I like your thought process here. Plenty of other options and Country roads could be put in place out here in this area which would effect far less people than what is being discussed as far as Option 2.

You and I are just little people, no offense ,but hopefully the decision makers are at least looking at this as an Option 4?

Seems a little late in the game for an option 4. Maybe for future years (if the race survives) but the leg work and networking needed to get something like this approved takes time.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
gwk100 wrote:

Seems a little late in the game for an option 4. Maybe for future years (if the race survives) but the leg work and networking needed to get something like this approved takes time.

Honestly, there never really was an Option 3. The powers that be were never and are never going to pass up all that toll road revenue and deal with the bitchfest associated with closing it down for even 9 hours. Spending any time at all on that option was a big waste of time and effort.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [BGNole97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGNole97 wrote:
AMT04 wrote:
gwk100 wrote:

Honestly, there never really was an Option 3. The powers that be were never and are never going to pass up all that toll road revenue and deal with the bitchfest associated with closing it down for even 9 hours. Spending any time at all on that option was a big waste of time and effort.

And they never sounded optimistic about option 2 with having to deal with Harris County and road closures there.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [Kkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kkennison wrote:
BGNole97 wrote:
AMT04 wrote:
gwk100 wrote:

And they never sounded optimistic about option 2 with having to deal with Harris County and road closures there.

Exactly. You can only imagine the mad scramble that is going on behind the scenes right now to pull something, anything out of the hat. But they are past the time they said they needed to lay out all the bike logistics. And based on social media, I'm guessing that 90% of the field are completely unaware of the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone emailed/called them and asked what Plan B is if they don't get a road permit? Has anyone recently asked them what their new deadline for having a bike course is?
I just hopped into this thread and didn't bother to read all the posts so apologies if this was already asked.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Has anyone emailed/called them and asked what Plan B is if they don't get a road permit? Has anyone recently asked them what their new deadline for having a bike course is?
I just hopped into this thread and didn't bother to read all the posts so apologies if this was already asked.

There are several folks who posted this morning that they've sent emails asking for an update this week, and WTCs response was that the original bike course is still the plan and that everything is kosher. Check page 9 or 10 of the thread.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

I actually emailed Andrew Messick, WTC CEO, and don't expect a response at all.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
desert dude wrote:

There are several folks who posted this morning that they've sent emails asking for an update this week, and WTCs response was that the original bike course is still the plan and that everything is kosher. Check page 9 or 10 of the thread.

Baghdad Bob approves this message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kkennison wrote:
desert dude wrote:

I actually emailed Andrew Messick, WTC CEO, and don't expect a response at all.

I bet he did respond, verbally to himself in his office, and a lot of f-bombs were involved.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I think the whole "etiquette" thing is quite ironic considering those posters hijacked the IMTX thread for a personal food fight.

My apologies.

However, .......

ANY 'apology' that starts this way is no apology. please shut up and use FB for your preaching off topic
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [kscheiris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kscheiris wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Fleck wrote:

My apologies.

However, how people ride and how people use the road, is a big part of the issue here.

Ask around in a number of the Ironman race communities and you don't have to go far to find locals really irritated by cyclists on the road. In fact, my sources, in the Woodlands have told me that it's an issue there.

So you are right, it's a side issue, but it's also a side issue that is directly related to the main issue.

Apologies also for the hijack. Steve and I have been around IM Communities for 25 years, and where you get an IM, you get an overlap of. Cyclists and cars. Many locals who do not economically benefit in the outlying communities hate the inconvenience we cause to them. Those who economically benefit like hotels-restaurants-bike shops etc love us, and they have a battle with those who don't benefit. Meanwhile those of us visiting are in for a race or a few camps, so maybe 2 weekends in the community, but every weekend there are other groups. We can get large, unruly and momentarily take over parts of the road and the friction escalates from there.

Steve, I realize that you know I can handle a bike. A buddy and I did a top 30 all time Strava descent of Alpe d'Huez, so I can hold my line and can have nerves of steel on a bike. I was not defending myself or the guys I ride with, I was defending many that you just grouped broadly. Most triathletes and cyclists that I know are fairly law abiding, so at least here on a tri forum there is no need to group the majority with the bad apples. It's just really a scenario where you have an influx of riders and cars. It's just stats.

In Ottawa where I live we have more than 100k of roads closed every Sunday morning for cyclists. It's just the way it is and cars know to plan another route. On the balance they don't get pissed off at us like they do in Placid or Penticton on weekends (and it seems Woodlands too), when we suddenly fill up the roads. We're on the roads all the time every day and cars get used to it because we are part of the community...they can't kick us out because we live here and the bike advocacy groups, bike clubs, tri clubs, community leaders etc would be ripping it up at city hall. In IM communities though, the riders clogging the roads on bikes are largely not local. Plus an affluent community like Woodlands does not really need our money. But places like Placid, Tremblant etc which are resorts want our money.

I really hope for everyone registered that they put on a full bike course. I am fortunate that in all my Ironmans I got to race the full distance in all of them, including forest fire threats multiple times in Penticton and Tahoe, earthquake in Kona, crazy deluges in Placid and recently in Whistler. Many times WTC could have cancelled, but they always stepped up. This is the first year in the last 3 don't have the health to do Texas and would be really bummed out if I was registered. It's a ton of training and finance to put into a shortened event or a swim-run. My guess is WTC is being quiet because there is a good chance they can pull something with a full course off. If not they will put the gears in motion to vector people over to other non sold out events. It is really too bad all of WTC events are in the late summer or fall now. For many doing IM Texas is the best shot to do an IM and free up summer for families!

You can't be that sorry about the hijack, you just plugged it again.

The hijack was related to posting to Fleck about not talking down to athletes. His points about athletes in IM communities being a root cause it material to this thread, so I was focusing on that aspect of the discussion which is core to the thread.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [trifantasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are clearly in extremely dangerous waters, just curious if you have been able to hear anything from your contacts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kkennison wrote:
We are clearly in extremely dangerous waters, just curious if you have been able to hear anything from your contacts?

Just another day of ....No News is Bad News.

Keeping the Faith though.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [gwk100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was posted to one of the FB groups i'm following... I guess it counts as 'news.'

http://abc13.com/health/the-ironman-texas-in-the-woodlands-needs-new-bike-route/1272017/

Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [drudoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drudoo wrote:
This was posted to one of the FB groups i'm following... I guess it counts as 'news.'

http://abc13.com/health/the-ironman-texas-in-the-woodlands-needs-new-bike-route/1272017/

Yeah, but that 'news' is a week old so apparently they are "still finalizing" the bike route. I define finalizing as: still seeking approval. The lack of an announcement suggests they don't have it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Sense is that they are in the final stages of negotiating (paying out to local charities & special interest non profits) with the good old boys network in north Houston. After all, this is not really about triathlon is it? But rather it is all about the $$. Reminds me of all the obsessed parents that think their children are going to be pro soccer players and pour thousands of dollars per year into the competitive soccer clubs and coaching when in the end it has nothing to do with your kids. It is about the $$ in the end.......
Last edited by: scca_ita: Apr 7, 16 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [drudoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least the tone of the article is promising. I'm still optimistic.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to remember the Woodlands has a lot of money to begin with so it may take a much larger amount of money than they thought to pull this off. Being a championship race you know IM is doing all they can to have a full race, if not they will have to find another race this spring/early summer to be the new championship race. I do not see the pros being able to qualify for Kona at a aquathon or whatever.
Quote Reply

Prev Next