Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [gwk100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gwk100 wrote:
Sounds like freaking Ground Hog day!

(Sonny and Cher "I got you babe" playing in background)

Okay campers rise and shine and don't forget your booties cause it's cold out there today.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [Jim01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been THE topic of discussion among all the IMTX athletes I know. I'm sure there are people who are unaware, but anecdotally knowledge is approaching 100% in Houston.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [Jim01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim01 wrote:
I wonder what % that is though. Most triathletes are pretty obsessive and I would say at the minimum are a member of at least one forum or FB group. The issue has been pretty well broadcast on all media at this point.

I spoke to a friend last night ( we did IM TX 2013 together) who worked for WTC/Ironman in their Merchandising department out of Tampa, Florida. She knew nothing at all about the Bike issue going on here. Said all the IM sites she has been following has made no mention of any possible snafus that we are going through at present.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [frumptyfrontbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frumptyfrontbum wrote:
It's been THE topic of discussion among all the IMTX athletes I know. I'm sure there are people who are unaware, but anecdotally knowledge is approaching 100% in Houston.

I would expect that kind of knowledge at ground zero, but let me assure you that in the hinterlands, and especially with folks who don't follow ST and IMTX Facebook (read many newbies) there are a lot of people completely oblivious to this.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
frumptyfrontbum wrote:

I would expect that kind of knowledge at ground zero, but let me assure you that in the hinterlands, and especially with folks who don't follow ST and IMTX Facebook (read many newbies) there are a lot of people completely oblivious to this.

Makes sense, and those are the very people I feel the worst for if they don't get this done.

(I still think they'll get something done).
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [frumptyfrontbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frumptyfrontbum wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
frumptyfrontbum wrote:

Makes sense, and those are the very people I feel the worst for if they don't get this done.

(I still think they'll get something done).

I think those folks are the lucky ones, with their blissful ignorance. Most likely a solution will be found and they will have been completely unaware of the uncertainty, except for maybe some slight surprise when a revised bike course is announced. Meanwhile, all of us fools who are worrying about the outcome will have wasted valuable mental energy worrying about nothing!

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
What are the odds of a repeat SNAFU next year?

That's a tough one to answer. I'm pretty embedded in the business community here and I've gotten pretty solid information that some rather important and influential business people, with no real interest in this race are getting organized to raise money for the next election. Beyond our little world of the race, this has become quite the community event, and people want it here. They also see those non profit donations to some great causes as a great thing.

Add to that, the political climate here has become toxic on unrelated matters, so who knows if any seats are changed what the new leadership will look like.

Add to that, locally within the Woodlands, there's a loud minority of people essentially trying to push The Woodlands, voted one of the best places in the country for an active lifestyle, to essentially become a retirement community, by trying to clamp down on events of all shapes and sizes. The overwhelming majority is on our side, but every once in a while you get an elected official that gets talked to enough that they think that's what everyone is thinking. And local elections can be won on a small turnout alone.

Add to that, a Grand Jury was just granted an extension in looking into some of the actions of some of these very same people on another issue. If that comes down, there may be some turnover.

So I don't have the answer. The reality is that the wind is generally at our back on this event, but this has been a tough year. With new roads and a better climate all could be fine next year....or not.

So hopefully great minds will come together, as I'm pretty sure they're reading this.

Badig| Strava

Last edited by: tjfry: Apr 8, 16 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good insights and I understand we are totally speculating. But I do hope that at the same time WTC is trying to resolve this year's crisis that they are quietly scoping out an alternative venue to put the Woodland's politics behind them. Worst case scenario is to lose IMTX altogether since it's the only IM in NA for the first half of the year. Maybe this will motivate WTC to also start looking for another spring venue besides Texas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Good insights and I understand we are totally speculating. But I do hope that at the same time WTC is trying to resolve this year's crisis that they are quietly scoping out an alternative venue to put the Woodland's politics behind them. Worst case scenario is to lose IMTX altogether since it's the only IM in NA for the first half of the year. Maybe this will motivate WTC to also start looking for another spring venue besides Texas.

^^This I can guarantee..they are 3 steps ahead of you.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Put St. George back to a full!
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be all over that.

It sure would be nice to get a substantive update today, before such a huge volume training weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Drop a race that sells out every year for one that barely pulled 1000 in its last year. That makes sense.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, at least make the run on IM SG a little easier. A hard bike and a hard run is what's killing registration.

I'm training for IM TX as scheduled because I'm hopeful WTC will pull it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just move it a little north! Maybe this will be completed by the time the WTC contract with the Woodlands ends.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2016/04/06/texas-developer-bringing-in-states-first-cabo.html

No - I don't think this will happen... but how cool would a lagoon swim be?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
jpay wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Drop a race that sells out every year for one that barely pulled 1000 in its last year. That makes sense.

Bob - Not drop Texas ... move it from the Woodlands to Austin or someplace else in Texas, AND bring back the ST George full so there are 2 IMs in the spring. One thing is for sure, if they don't have a bike leg next month, IMTX will not sell out next year if it remains in the Woodlands. When St George was struggling, there was also TX, CDA and Cabo (if my memory is correct). It might fare better now given the dearth of alternatives. r/Paul
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpk_phx wrote:
I would be all over that.

It sure would be nice to get a substantive update today, before such a huge volume training weekend.

My gripe too..... In Biggest build weeks, tired, high risk of injury phase of build, balancing job, other life items and in the back of my mind - all for nothing as this conditioning can only be maintained for short period of time... At least for me...Old guy ;)
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing an IM on May 14th. If it's in the Woodlands with 3000 other people, great. If it has to be on my own then so be it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [gwk100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the window to transfer gone? Have any of you athletes been contacted by WTC?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
jpay wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Bob - Not drop Texas ... move it from the Woodlands to Austin or someplace else in Texas, AND bring back the ST George full so there are 2 IMs in the spring. One thing is for sure, if they don't have a bike leg next month, IMTX will not sell out next year if it remains in the Woodlands. When St George was struggling, there was also TX, CDA and Cabo (if my memory is correct). It might fare better now given the dearth of alternatives. r/Paul

College Station has always been a great choice for an Ironman in Texas. Right in the middle of the triangle of Houston, Dallas, and Austin and a zillion hotels in the Spring not being used because it's not football season. Lake Bryan is exactly 2.4 miles across and back, and the surrounding area has nothing but cows and chickens for a hundred miles. It's an hour, 1.5 hour drive from the Houston airport and we have our own airport as well. I do my own self-supported Ironman here every fall and it's wonderful. But shrug...

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't hate this idea. Any chance to visit the motherland is alright with me. :) Gig'em!
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deadline was March 30th I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Is the window to transfer gone? Have any of you athletes been contacted by WTC?

I believe the transfer date was March 30th. In the event they cancel the bike or even altogether I would think they would allow some kind of transfer if they didn't want a PR nightmare.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Status in doubt? [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
Quote:
People who love the idea of living in The Woodlands and enjoying all that it has to offer, but don't like the idea of other people having the nerve to be in The Woodlands enjoying all it has to offer

Haha. This is true. I think one of the reasons The Woodlands is an attractive place to live because of the outdoor activities and overall active lifestyle here. Yet people complain about everything here. My wife is in community relations and you'd be astonished at the random complaints they get about this event and so much more

But ultimately, I don't think The Woodlands itself is creating any issue with the race. This is all the result of construction and neighboring communities.

There are some who actively work against these types of things. Not only what we see here but things like Woodlands High school scheduling ACT at the same time as the marathon a few weeks ago. They could have used College Park and it been a non issue. But then they complain about traffic. Or how they schedule prom the same weekend as Ironman every year. I hear all the time how they want to keep it a small town. Thats silly there are over 100K people here now.

The construction I would think would be easy to work around. 149/1488 move the blocks and sweep, there wouldnt be any work going on on saturday. Now if they start work on the 149 n out of montgomery that could create something.
Last edited by: ~C: Apr 8, 16 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
jpay wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Gotcha. I read that again and saw it wasn't swap TX for StG.

I'm real leery of the talk of Austin since the 70.3 course is such total shit. If they moved the 70.3 (or did a 140.6) on the west side of Austin it would be epic.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next